cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$40/4GB Plan - getting $10/month price INCREASE!

alohaya
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just got this text message from Public Mobile. They are raising my plan price by $10/month, trying to get me to switch to Koodo. Anyone else got this text? 

Public Mobile here. Starting March 20th, 2018 your rate plan price will increase by $10 per 30 days, making your plan $150 for 90 days. But don't worry! Our sister brand, Koodo, has a way for you to keep your $40 price point. Until March 15th, 2018, join Koodo and get 4GB of data, unlimited text and now additionally get UNLIMITED CANADA-WIDE minutes for $40/month PLUS get a one-time $100 bill credit! Offer valid for xxxxxxxxxxx. Redeem at your nearest Koodo location or London Drugs or online at https://koo.do/gocustomer-service. Show this msg and use promo code GOKOODO404GB to redeem along with 2 pieces of ID. Your phone number is your validation code. You're included on the list for Public Mobile offers and deals. To be excluded, reply unsubscribe. Conditions apply.

1,433 REPLIES 1,433

MVP
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@MK78wrote:

@MVPwrote:

So....

1) On one hand, we have terms or service that clearly state that PM reserves the right to change price anytime with 30 days notice.

2) On the other hand, there is plan advertising, stating the the price will always stay the same.

They are clearly in contradiction, diametrically opposed,

but which one wins over in the legal sense?

I think that's the biggest problem people have, is that they were explicitly promised that the plan would not go up.

Had they not done it, then this would be just like any other price increase by any other service provider, and people would just deal with it, either stay or move. It happens all the time.

But the wording, especially the "No surprises" bit, is where I think they shot themselves in the foot.

I hope they either are forced to keep these plans unchanged, or at the very least "sweeten the deal" for switching to Koodo, because at this stage the value of the deal is much less than what most people get at PM, even if you just factor the auto pay discount it's $38 vs $40.

OK, seems there might be a hope.

BTW has the price increase been properly announced on the PM web site, other that innfhe text messages we all received?

If not, can one just ignore it? 🙂

drk196
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

OK, so, here we go, PM (should one also private message it to the  @Moderator_Team ? )

This is a message for a Public Mobile moderator or representative. In order to comply with the requirements for submitting a complaint to CCTS. I am advising you that I would like to keep my current plan with 12GB / 90 days at $120 minus My Rewards on two cellphone  lines that I have with you for over a year.

Per your own promotional material and answers to customers:

"If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises". Link to website to this quote: https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... td-p/77350

Please contact me directly to discuss the matter further.

If you do not respond within a reasonable time frame I will assume that you reject all communication on this topic and proceed with a complaint to the CCTS and then the CRTC.

MarieWILLIAMS22

I sent a message from yesterday regarding my 3 megabits  that need to be RETURN to me. And no reply  i need my problem solved  immediately  thank you very much

MK78

@MVPwrote:

So....

1) On one hand, we have terms or service that clearly state that PM reserves the right to change price anytime with 30 days notice.

2) On the other hand, there is plan advertising, stating the the price will always stay the same.

I think that's the biggest problem people have, is that they were explicitly promised that the plan would not go up.

Had they not done it, then this would be just like any other price increase by any other service provider, and people would just deal with it, either stay or move. It happens all the time.

But the wording, especially the "No surprises" bit, is where I think they shot themselves in the foot.

I hope they either are forced to keep these plans unchanged, or at the very least "sweeten the deal" for switching to Koodo, because at this stage the value of the deal is much less than what most people get at PM, even if you just factor the auto pay discount it's $38 vs $40.

McGriff

Does anyone know how long it takes before the CCTS responds with a solution?

MVP

OK, so, here we go, PM (should one also private message it to the  @CS_Agent ? )

This is a message for a Public Mobile moderator or representative. In order to comply with the requirements for submitting a complaint to CCTS. I am advising you that I would like to keep my current plan with 12GB / 90 days at $120 minus My Rewards on two cellphone  lines that I have with you for over a year.

Per your own promotional material and answers to customers:

"If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises". Link to website to this quote: https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... td-p/77350

If you do not respond within a reasonable time frame I will assume that you reject all communication on this topic and proceed with a complaint to the CCTS and then the CRTC.

RyanJuergen

This is what they promised;

"If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises."

This was a blatant lie. They have defrauded customers. They need to be held accountable.

File a complaint with CCTS;

http://www.ccts-cprst.ca/for-consumers/complaints/

RyanJuergen

http://www.ccts-cprst.ca/for-consumers/complaints/

Very easy to answer the questions

MVP

@tparchiewrote:

Listen carefully, it doesn't matter what the KOODO plan is.

If they raise the promotional price on Public Mobile, you better **bleep** well believe

they will raise the promotional KOODO price.

I do not believe there is any chance in hell that KOODO will keep the promotional price.

So very true

nekkidtruth

At this point, you don't need to be a lawyer. We'll also know soon enough what the CCTS thinks about this. Here is their comment to MobileSyrup who reached out to them regarding this issue:

“I can tell you that the role of the CCTS is to ensure that providers respect the commitments made to their customers, and if we receive complaints regarding price changes/increases we will look into them and ensure that customers receive what they were promised.”

Read more at MobileSyrup.comPublic Mobile increases rate on promo plan, offers subscribers $40/4GB Koodo plan

tparchie

False advertising and deceptive marketing tactics.

tparchie

Listen carefully, it doesn't matter what the KOODO plan is.

If they raise the promotional price on Public Mobile, you better **bleep** well believe

they will raise the promotional KOODO price.

I do not believe there is any chance in hell that KOODO will keep the promotional price.

MVP

Can someone post a link to CCTS complaint instructions please?

Im've already seem it somewhere (a user compiled steps as well typical complaint), but could not find now...

MVP

Yea, I'm not a lawyer, but I have a feeling too that TOS is more important.

But there is also clearly false and deceptive advertising.

Is this the area of expertize of CCTS? What exactly are people complaining to CCTS about?

TOS violation? There seems to be none.

False advsrtising then?

MF
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@curiousperuser did you or anyone else get any confirmation regarding the Koodo plan's Canada wide minutes? I have heard different info from different people and would like some concrete information.

@MVP unless you want to try and prove it in court (& lawyer up) noone will make an advertising campaign

To the contrary advertising ALLOWS what they refer to as "puffery" 

That is why you are supposed to read and understamd the TOS

MVP

@Doorikwrote:

Re: $40/4GB Plan - getting $10/month price INCREASE!
This is a message for a Public Mobile moderator or representative. In order to comply with the requirements for submitting a complaint to CCTS. I am advising you that I would like to keep my current plan with 12GB / 90 days at $120 minus My Rewards. Per your own promotional material and answers to customers, "as long as you remain an active customer, and don't change your plan, you'll get to keep the plan at the same rate".

Is that what everyone's writing ro the purpose of CCTS complaint?

Can I copy/paste yours, or there a standsr message somewhere upthread?

MVP

So....

if 1), then  2) is false advertising, and PM can be penalzed to that (by paying something to the affected customers, but ultimately PM will then stick to new increased price)?

If 2), then PM can perhaps be persuaded by CCTS to never exercise 1) for the affected customers ?

tparchie
I am giving Public Mobile an opportunity to resolve my complaint about the unfair price changes to my account,  before I lodge a formal complaint with CCTS.   This is a message for a moderator, to comply with the requirements for submitting a complaint to CCTS.

I believe it is only fair that Public Mobile allows me to keep my current price &  plan with 12GB / 90 days, unlimited texting & Province wide talk at $120 minus My Rewards. Please contact me directly by PM to resolve this matter.

If you do not respond to me directly by PM on this forum no later than 4 pm ( Eastern Standard Time) on the 23 Febrary 2017, I will have no option but to believe that you are not interested in resolving my complaint and proceed with a complaint to the CCTS.

( I have signed up two other family members with Public Mobile.  If you and the CCTS are unable to give me what I was promised, we will cease being customers of all TELUS brands. )

Regards,

If you check your online profile you will see this now posted to your accounts

notice.jpg

Doorik

This is a message for a Public Mobile moderator or representative. In order to comply with the requirements for submitting a complaint to CCTS. I am advising you that I would like to keep my current plan with 12GB / 90 days at $120 minus My Rewards. Per your own promotional material and answers to customers, "as long as you remain an active customer, and don't change your plan, you'll get to keep the plan at the same rate".

Not mentioned yet in the thousands of threads, but apparently the CCTS DOES have a mecanism for demanding a prepaid refund

So if you port to Koodo your $120 is not lost

This would be a far better CCTS complaint than the silly ones about how they can not increase price plans

If everyone applies for a refund this would certainly hit them harder on bottom line as well

Section B. Complaint Summary #18: Confirmed breach of Section B.2(i) Facts: A customer activated prepaid wireless services with a WSP. Two days later, the customer transferred (or “ported out”) his existing number to a new service provider. Because the customer had paid for wireless services in advance (because he had a prepaid contract), he asked the WSP to refund him for the days that he did not use the WSP’s services. The WSP refused to do so, and explained that according to its TOS, customers who port out their services (i.e. transfer to another WSP) are not entitled to refunds. The customer was unsatisfied with the WSP’s response, so he complained to us. Investigation: We asked the WSP to demonstrate that it had informed the customer about the conditions associated with his prepaid balance. The WSP could not do so. Conclusion: We confirmed that the WSP breached section B.2(i) of the Code because it had failed to explain the conditions associated with porting out services for prepaid contracts. The customer was entitled to a refund because he had no way of knowing that porting out his services would mean that the WSP would not refund the money remaining on his account. To resolve the complaint, the WSP
refunded the customer for the days that he did not use the service. 

JGilb

This is a message for a moderator, to comply with the requirements for submitting a complaint to CCTS.

I would like to keep all 3 of my families original plans with 12GB / 90 days at $120 minus My Rewards. Please contact me directly to discuss the matter further.

Regards,

nekkidtruth

@kav2001cwrote:

@ute1978 yeah no kidding

Remember the time these jokers all signed up? Now just as bad as they all leave

These jokers? If you're going to point fingers, at least point them in the right direction. PM is the one who offered this deal with the literal expectation the price would never change so long as you were actively subscribed to service.

The influx of new people that caused issues within the system was a massive oversight on PM's part and I was actually here helping as best I could at the time. This mass exodus is who's fault now? PM changed something they said they would never change. If they're now being flooded with extra work it isn't because "these jokers" are doing anything wrong. These customers are justifiably upset and are doing whatever they can to find the best possible solution to this blatent bait and switch.

The Koodo offer is an incredibly lazy offer and the details of the offer aren't even correct. PM is claiming certain things about the Koodo offer where Koodo's ToS say something entirely differnet. People are angry and rightfully so. There is no reason at all to be insulting.

Personally, I'm going to be losing out on a very large chunk of referral rewards due to this and I will be moving away from PM as soon as I'm able to find a suitable replacement. It will absolutely not be another TELUS brand as this incident has left an extremely sour taste in my mouth.

mike390

@lukevaderwrote:

@amallyawrote:

@lukevaderwrote:

@KingCreolewrote:

Basic contract law, 101: 1. Offer, 2. acceptance, 3. consideration. 

1. Their offer:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Last-day-to-get-our-limited-time...

2. I accepted (by signing up for the plan)

3. I paid (consideration)

How about basic contact 101 amendment A?

They reserve the right to change the plan AND THEY DID!! Get over it.

Basic PR 101.

Don't FECK your loyal customers in the bunghole.

Basic PR 102

Don't hire incompetent shillbots.

Basic common sense 000: People reserve the right to bargain for a better deal.Get over it, shillbot loser.

Don't you have some chocolate to eat somewhere?

If you aren't going to post something productive then don't post at all. You may be okay with corporations walking all over you but the majority of us are not. 

We want fair trestreat, it'd be one thing if Public Mobile didn't promise to never change the price. But they put that right in the advertisement for the plan.

It's also a kick in the teeth that they waited until all of those plan holders renewed before dropping this on us.

Effectively forcing plan holders to give up months they paid for to get a deal that isn't even a deal.

Also where are their mods? I've yet to see anything from them about this, yet that's all anyone is posting?

IDC, I've submitted my complaint already and reguardless what they do I'm jumping ship and not signing with any Telus owned company again.

Mods are hiding right now

@stonechucker I am a tad worried rewards will be revised / removed soon

We shall see

RLBL

@will13amwrote:

It's a bill credit, so you can use it to pay the monthly bill.  I read that the credit is being dribbled at 4 x$25.  

Official link?  Not that I am not taking your word, but it would appease some people to know that it is a BILL credit (and what that implies) rather than a bonus (something that sits on your account that can only be applied to a tab when getting a new phone)

smilingeyes70

EVERYONE must file a complaint with the CCTS. I just did!

smilingeyes70

I submitted a complaint to the CCTS. I agree this is our only leverage. I encourage everyone who has not done so already to take 5 minutes and submit a complaint.

Need Help? Let's chat.