cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$40/4GB Plan - getting $10/month price INCREASE!

alohaya
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just got this text message from Public Mobile. They are raising my plan price by $10/month, trying to get me to switch to Koodo. Anyone else got this text? 

Public Mobile here. Starting March 20th, 2018 your rate plan price will increase by $10 per 30 days, making your plan $150 for 90 days. But don't worry! Our sister brand, Koodo, has a way for you to keep your $40 price point. Until March 15th, 2018, join Koodo and get 4GB of data, unlimited text and now additionally get UNLIMITED CANADA-WIDE minutes for $40/month PLUS get a one-time $100 bill credit! Offer valid for xxxxxxxxxxx. Redeem at your nearest Koodo location or London Drugs or online at https://koo.do/gocustomer-service. Show this msg and use promo code GOKOODO404GB to redeem along with 2 pieces of ID. Your phone number is your validation code. You're included on the list for Public Mobile offers and deals. To be excluded, reply unsubscribe. Conditions apply.

1,433 REPLIES 1,433

Lukedurward
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This is my formal contract to comply with CRTC guidelines.

You lied to us to get us to sign up and now you're increasing prices and screwing people over with your timing since we all just paid for another 90 days.

Please advise.

Everyone reading this. Go for a complaint with the CRTC. It's quick.

peosteve
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I thought you were **bleep**ting me, but I went through the beginning of the signup process and can confirm this to be the actual policy. How can they market this as "unlimited calling"??? 

Tmo7

I will also file a CCTS complaint and am officially stating my intent here to match others:

This is a message for a moderator, to comply with the requirements for submitting a complaint to CCTS.

I would like to keep my original plan of 12GB / 90 days at $120 minus My Rewards. Please contact me directly to discuss the matter further.

Thank you.

semenoar

These price hikes are inevitable, if not today maybe a month or a year from now either by 5, 10, 20 dollars. Rather then letting the carrier control the price, I think the people should. By the people I mean all of Telus customers should sign a petition against such actions and threaten to leave Telus, Koodo, & Public Mobile. If most customers don't come together such shady business practices will never end. They will continue to push around the consumer as they see fit. Targeting them in batches and not getting enough attention and purposely separating such events to make them less noticeable. Together we can move mountains and make anything possible. It would be a sight to see when 80% of customers leave the Telus family to prove a point when enough is enough. It’s funny that consumers fund the businesses but they always get the shaft :).

The way Public Mobile handled this price increase is unethical. Unfortunately my rant above will never happen because people only care when it directly effects them but not the entire community.

Also I don’t think Public Mobile is stupid enough to make such an increase without checking with there legal department first. But if they are, it also warrants to leave the company hahah.

amallya

TELUSmeme2.png

Smike1989

@CS_Agent

Like many, many others I am formally contacting you to object to the "surprise" $30/90-day price increase in my current plan, of which I was notified by text message this afternoon. As I am sure you have been made aware by other outraged customers, the promotional materials when I originally signed up for this plan in fall 2016 clearly stated, "If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises. [emphasis added]" For example, see https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Last-day-to-get-our-limited-time.... Similar promises were made by other Public Mobile representatives and materials at that time. I believe these multiple and clear advertising representations made by Public Mobile supersede any contradictory language concealed in the Terms of Service.

I am not at all interested in the included offer to switch to your sister company's "comparable" plan, which has many disadvantages despite your attempts to promote it as substantially similar or superior (e.g., no call forwarding; post-paid vs. pre-paid; no loyalty, auto-pay or referral rewards; more expensive US roaming add-ons; potential for incurring additional charges; etc.). Furthermore, switching to the offered Koodo plan by the March 15 deadline would forego the majority of the 90 days for which I was just billed on February 2nd. (I'll note in passing that the timing of the notice of this price increase relative to the billing cycle of this popular promotional plan appears far more intentional and predatory than coincidental.) The offered $100 credit does not even cover the combined cost of this lost usage plus the Koodo SIM plus tax, to say nothing of the inconvenience to me as a customer.

I am asking you to maintain the price of my current plan, as per our original agreement (highlighted above), for as long as I am an active customer. In lieu of this, I am asking you to offer a more satisfactory resolution. If such resolution is not offered and agreed upon by me within 48 hours, I will be elevating my complaint to both the CCTS and the Competition Bureau, with every intent of pursuing those complaints to their fullest extent, as this price increase would seem to me to be a blatant violation of consumer rights and expectations.

guinoma

Filling a complaint will only take 3 minutes with this guide: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/public-mobile-price-increase-12gb-120-90day-plan-increase-150-unless-...

edit: URL updated

guinoma

Thanks for the CRTC complaint URL and how to. I just submitted a complaint it took me 3 minutes. 

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/public-mobile-price-increase-12gb-120-90day-plan-increase-150-unless-...

aruschpler

Because PM decided this is their official channel of communication, this is my official request for resolving this issue. 

This price increase is in violation of the terms we first  agreed upon:

"

• If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises."

I believe this supercedes your right in the terms and conditions to increase plan rates. I do not accept your proposal to switch to Koodo as an equal value to what I'm currently getting from you and would like a suggestion on your part to rectify this situation. 

If I am not contacted within 24 hours, either here or any other method I have indicated in your records, I will forward my complaint to the CCTS for violation of this contract. 

Regards, 

Andrew R

mdobre

@davidhoward012wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the other carriers came in and price matched the $40/4GB PM rate. It makes perfect sense for them to do that, actually.

Collective outrage: check
Anger at Telus and flanker brands: check
Mass number of people ready to switch?: check

Perfect storm.

I doubt the Rogers family of carreirs will as they increased the Fido $40/4G plan by $5.

Maybe Virgin?

probably best bet with Freedom, to get back the customers they lost from the Freedom-port promo.

FluxHorizon

This is a message for a moderator, to comply with the requirements for submitting a complaint to CCTS.

I would like to keep my original plan of 12GB / 90 days at $120 minus My Rewards.  Please contact me directly to discuss the matter further.

Thank you.

mdobre

@jeffster1970wrote:

@mdobrewrote:

@kevin_camerawrote:

@peosteve

We're pissed because they are potentially targetting those who have lots of referral credits and not doing it for everyone across the board.

Not sure if it's already be said...  but I think they're targeting everyone that's on a $120/12G/90day plan.

I have the above mentioned plan; joined last July through the Freedom-port promotion. I have no referral credits, only the autopay discount, and I too have received the txt mssg notice of $10/30day increase.

I was looking forward to start receiving the "loyalty" discount but it looks like it will not be happening. Like everyone here, I too am very disappointed with Public Mobile's actions and if they're not reversing course I'll be looking to change carrier to someone other than the Telus family.

So it really did affect EVERYONE....and reading through this, my understanding is that the Koodo offering isn't unlimited calling either, not even provincial.

To be honest, really glad I took the 10GB plan when I had the chance.

And I really do think that Telus is trying to make this more Chatr-like or Lucky-like. Although fi that's the case, Chatr is the best of the three, as data is unlimited (even if it's slow).

Unsure what the CCTS will do....so many companies renage on their pricing. Always in the 'fine print' somewhere that allows them to raise prices with a 30 day notice.

It should be unlimited calling.  The txt mssg does say "UNLIMITED CANADA-WIDE minutes".

amallya

Here is telus official response to you

telusmeme.png

nkw11

Is this not a bait and switch? From this post, I was under the impression that the price on my $120/90day plan wouldn't change. At the very least, Telus / PM / Koodo could have provided a 90 day notice before the price increase so I would have not renewed my service and moved to another provider. I will be filing a complaint with the CCTS.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Last-day-to-get-our-limited-time...

mdobre

@curiousperuserwrote:

Can anyone confirm that details of Koodo's Canada Wide Calling?

Is it only an evening weekends offer?

I primarily use my phone for local calling during weekdays - so it seems like switching to Koodo won't work well for me?

With Koodo's Canada Wide Calling, you can call from anywhere in Canada to any Canadian #. It count's toward your plan minutes - in this case, unlimited mins.

I used to have that with Koodo before they started being **bleep**'s nickel & dimeing me, & switched to PM. 

jeffster1970
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@mdobrewrote:

@kevin_camerawrote:

@peosteve

We're pissed because they are potentially targetting those who have lots of referral credits and not doing it for everyone across the board.

Not sure if it's already be said...  but I think they're targeting everyone that's on a $120/12G/90day plan.

I have the above mentioned plan; joined last July through the Freedom-port promotion. I have no referral credits, only the autopay discount, and I too have received the txt mssg notice of $10/30day increase.

I was looking forward to start receiving the "loyalty" discount but it looks like it will not be happening. Like everyone here, I too am very disappointed with Public Mobile's actions and if they're not reversing course I'll be looking to change carrier to someone other than the Telus family.

So it really did affect EVERYONE....and reading through this, my understanding is that the Koodo offering isn't unlimited calling either, not even provincial.

To be honest, really glad I took the 10GB plan when I had the chance.

And I really do think that Telus is trying to make this more Chatr-like or Lucky-like. Although fi that's the case, Chatr is the best of the three, as data is unlimited (even if it's slow).

Unsure what the CCTS will do....so many companies renage on their pricing. Always in the 'fine print' somewhere that allows them to raise prices with a 30 day notice.

ty666666

PM promised that price won't increase as long as one is a PM customer. Now they jacked up the price by $10.
Both, my wife and I are losing our loyalty discounts, autopay discounts, Referral discounts
The ability to control our data usage over 3 months. We just renewed our plan so we're losing what we paid. We paid for LD which we have not used.

PM promised that the price won't increase, now they're contradicting themselves & robing customers. If we switch to Koodo:

1- we're losing all of our discounts
2- Losing our remaining days/months that we paid for
3- Losing our LD mins that we have paid for
4- Losing call forwarding
5- Have to pay $15+ tax for a sim card
6- If one has a bad credit they can't get a line with koodo

The $100 is not nearly enough to cover part of what we're losing. I would ask PM to reconsider. My wife and I will both file complaints at the CCTS.

What we ask of PM is:
- To reverse their decision about the price increase
or
- Extend the deadline to switch to 90 days so that whoever just switched can use up all their days.
- Offer $200 bill credit in order to cover the price of the sim card with koodo, any purchased add-ons that won't be used, and for the inconvenience. 

PM has given it's customers the option to switch to Koodo in the past, but that was copletely optional as they did not increase the price. However offering this while increasing the price does no longer keep it optional.

I will be switching to Fido if they don't respond to our needs. Fido has a better reception where I live anyway.

prasprime

F**k your sister Brand Koodo, Why not your Evil Parent Brand Telus ?

This is clearly a shady moove my PM. To make people to Signup to PM and increasing the market share to Koodo. After a while increase those prices to regular price. 

Bait and Swich. RIP Telus/Koodo/PM> I am skipping these brands to buy any services. 

From Telus to PM Family & Members: 

large.png

ToniCipriani

@staticcorywrote:

The people that should be more scared, are all of those people that signed up for those $60/10gb plans, because the respective companies are coming for you next. I signed up a bunch of people for those plans, across multple carriers, and all of them explicitly stated that they price would never change as long as they remain a customer, and there wouldn't be any "surprises". But you can bet your arse, they're going after those people. My advice it to fight it now, to set precedent.

Frankly they have been able to do that for decades, it's nothing new. Only thing different this time the "surprises" things is documented in these very forums so it's easy to prove.

In any other case it's hard to prove because 99% of that is verbal.

lukevader

Haha, Trudeau. Whatever antifa girl.

Public Mobile has the right to change ANY terms of service, including rates without notice. Changes become effective 30 days after being posted.

You guys all agreed to these terms by activating your account. End of story.

mdobre

@howardpunwrote:

Does anyone know if koodos plan is going to be 3G or 4G? 

Koodo only offers 4G as far as I know.  I used to be with them before switching to PM and this used-to-be awesome plan.

staticcory
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

The people that should be more scared, are all of those people that signed up for those $60/10gb plans, because the respective companies are coming for you next. I signed up a bunch of people for those plans, across multple carriers, and all of them explicitly stated that they price would never change as long as they remain a customer, and there wouldn't be any "surprises". But you can bet your arse, they're going after those people. My advice it to fight it now, to set precedent.

ToniCipriani

@amallyawrote:

fido.png

Some reported in store it's 4GB.

amallya

@lukevaderwrote:

Great response.

I'm guessing you work for fido then. Keep up the bad work fido

I literally don't give a cr@p about any canadian telecom. 

Public mobile as an independent service provider is GARBAGE. The ONLY reason they have customers is because of Telus' backbone/infrastructure. I put up with PM's GARBAGE because it worked for my budget/needs and I don't come here to complain daily about bull**bleep**, I have better things to do.

Now they are FECKING me. Don't know about you, but I don't like getting FECKED without CONSENT. I think itsRAPE dude.

Somebody tweet this to Justin Trudeau

jooksingjai77

EVERYONE PLEASE VISIT:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/public-mobile-public-mobile-kicking-out-120-90-day-12gb-customers-100...

Read the thread summary and file a complaint with the CRTC.  

Lets make the RFD effect do something positive!

mdobre

@zoomzoom87wrote:

@MrPantswrote:

This is a huge disappointment. I have referred friends to PM and I bet they're none too pleased with me. I was really impressed with PM for offering things like Loyalty Bonuses but now I'm just really disappointed. Even though I never come close to using my 6GB+6GB of data, I liked having it available. I don't understand why PM would want to boot me off the plan since I am presently paying for way more data than I use. I'm not likely to move to Koodo because I resent being manipulated, so basically, PM/Koodo/Telus are going to lose my account. This is not good business sense.

Because telus is losing money from pm  

I wouldn't say they're losing money.  They're just not making as much as they "could".

Greedy bas-turds!

lukevader

Great response.

I'm guessing you work for fido then. Keep up the bad work fido

Watoko
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I'm waiting too, jumping ship at any moment now.

amallya

@Wing1234wrote:

I want to remain with this company at the price they promised!!

And I want to be the queen of England.

But looks like the minimum wage hike is destroying Telus' business, so they have to hike prices on us. They have to pay all these MODS on public community forums $15/hr now. They are going broke man!!

You should feel bad for Telus, they only made 1.5 billion dollars in profit last year. How can you live on that? Why are you such a hater?

mdobre

@tazz131wrote:

So, due to the fact that there are no Public Mobile employees...Who's attention do we bring this to? 

What a joke.

Suggestions...

- Is this guy still the GM at Public Mobile??   https://ca.linkedin.com/in/davidjohnmaclean

Could someone find his contacts?

https://www.telus.com/en/about/company-overview/executive-team

For possible results...

- Ellen Roseman   http://www.ellenroseman.com/10995/Contact-Us.htm

- Pat Foran   http://www.patforan.com/3758/Contact-Pat-Foran.htm 

Sean O’Shea   https://globalnews.ca/author/sean-oshea/

Need Help? Let's chat.