cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G or LTE

azs2000
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just signed up with the 1GB $30 plan which is advertised as 3G data plan. But my phone shows LTE. Two other persons signed up I know of also getting LTE on their phone. Are we getting LTE?

8 REPLIES 8

horemansus
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Thanks for the detailed reply. 1gB goes a long way as long as there is little video streaming.

Setting the compression option available in some browsers can help too.

Not a lot of people seem to be aware of this feature.

An old idea, old tech, used in some form or another (for years) by every major telecomm network in Canada.  Although (my understanding is that) the Telus implementation is by far the most efficient of the bunch.

Long story short, the expensive Telus hardware runs all the transcaling and transcoding and recompression and processing necessary (in real-time) to deliver highest-possible quality video (for your device's software and display resolution) at lowest-possible cost in mobile data.  2.5Mbps = 9Gbph = 1.125GB/h = enough to stream video up to 1080p 24fps.

One email, no attachments = <0.001GB

Webpage, typical = <0.001GB

Webpage, morbidly obese = <0.006GB

Photo, 16MP (3840x2160) compressed = ~0.003GB

Photo, 16MP (3840x2160) uncompressed = 0.008GB

Audio/music streaming, CD quality = ~0.001GB/min, ~0.065GB/hr

Audio/music streaming, HD quality = ~0.002GB/min, ~0.125GB/hr

Video streaming, SD (480p) = ~0.3GB/hr (30fps), ~0.6GB/hr (60fps)

Video streaming, HD (720p) = ~0.75GB/hr (30fps), ~1.5GB/hr (60fps)

Video streaming, FHD (1080p) = ~1.5GB/hr (30fps), ~3.0GB/hr (60fps)

Video streaming, 4K/UHD (2160p) = ~7.0GB/hr (30fps)

FaceTime video call = 0.003GB/min, 0.18GB/hr

Skype video call = 0.024GB/min and 1.44GB/hr (Normal), 0.072GB/min and 4.32GB/hr (HD)

Online gaming = <0.002GB/hr to <0.100GB+/hr (varies)

Download mobile software/app/game, average = <0.060GB (Android), <0.090GB (iOS)

Download mobile firmware/game, large = 0.1GB to 0.5GB+ (varies)

Background data = <0.001GB/min (constant trickle)

P2P filesharing (uncapped by network) = <9.0GB/hr (2.5Mbps), <396GB/hr (110Mbps), <810GB/hr (225Mbps)

Telus 3G/HSPA+ = 42Mbps max, 4-14Mbps average, 75~90ms average latency

Telus 4G/HSPA+ = 2.5Mbps max, 2.5Mbps average, 30~35ms average latency (Public Mobile "3G")

Telus 4G/LTE = 110Mbps max, 12~45Mbps average, 30~35ms average latency (Public Mobile "4G")

Telus 4G/LTE-A = 225Mbps max, 12~65Mbps average, 25~30ms average latency

GreatCanadian
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@azs2000, FYI, when I first signed up with Public Mobile I signed on to just the 30 day plan to see if I would be satisfied with 3g speeds. I think that was 4 months ago, and I am more than happy. I don't miss LTE speeds at all . I am sitting here watching the world curling championships here on my phone as I type this between ends 😁. It's more than satisfactory. 

GC 

azs2000
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you for those who have responded to my post. It does clarify my question. I am not a heavy data user. For my uses I don't notice any significant speed issue comparing to my previous LTE service from Koodo. Downloading speed will be significant difference I believe which I don't do it using my data.

Yeah, PM's "3G" service is actually 4G throttled (at the network-side) to 2.5Mbps.  It's what Telus calls "4G/HSPA+" (vs proper 4G which they call "4G/LTE" and "4G/LTE-A")

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/3g-2-5-vs-4g-what-is-the-real-world-dif...

In practice, this "4G/HSPA+" is actually faster than proper 3G/HSPA+ overall - web browsing, social media, and background applications tend to actually use little data bandwidth anyhow but they'll benefit noticeable with snappier, faster, more responsive 4G-based connectivity.

And in practice, there aren't many devices still around with hardware which supports 3G/HSPA+ but lacks support for 4G.  I don't expect many people would still be using devices from circa 2012, the costs of battery replacement (and repairs/refurbs) would outweigh the costs of newer devices, the ancient operating systems and browsers (like Android Cupcake and Gingerbread) wouldn't be compatible with most of today's apps or websites, and they'd just be so awkwardly slow by today's standards, lol.

GreatCanadian

Also I believe when you first activate a 3G account you may experience LTE speeds for a short while. But as stated above you will be throttled to 3G speeds, yet your phone will display LTE  

GC 

Shutdown
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Your speed is capped to 3Mbps.

matbasm

Hi @azs2000, welcome to Public mobile.  Although you are connected to the LTE network, if your plan is for 3G, your speed will be throttled(capped) to 3G speeds (around 2.5Gbit/s if not mistaken). 

Need Help? Let's chat.