cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10 or 12 gb plan?

Gwaiiguy
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I was wondering when PM was going to get with the times and offer larger data plans.

As every day goes by traffic usage also grows, why not keep up?

63 REPLIES 63

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@srlawrenwrote:

@wetcoasterwrote: 

We have always been on the "be loyal to your valet first" train 

@wetcoaster yeah, my valet is a heck of a guy!  Yes, he scratched my Mercedes once, but I still gave him an execellent Christmast bonus. Robot LOLRobot LOL

[note:  no, I don't have Mercedes; no I don't have a valet lol; and yes, I know that you meant wallet, just having some fun.]

You two are lucky - my valet uses Freedom and never gets my "fetch my Jag" texts so I'm always late!

[Yeah I have neither a valet nor Jaguar] 🙂

@srlawrenwrote:

@wetcoasterwrote: 

@wetcoaster yeah, my valet is a heck of a guy!  Yes, he scratched my Mercedes once, but I still gave him an execellent Christmast bonus. Robot LOLRobot LOL

[note:  no, I don't have Mercedes; no I don't have a valet lol; and yes, I know that you meant wallet, just having some fun.]

I'll stop posting - clearly not my day today... 😉

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@wetcoasterwrote: 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Gwaiiguywrote:

thank you @mimmo if i knew how to change the solved to your

@mimmowrote:

@Gwaiiguy  If you are doing the two sim route i would top one up and keep one expired and load it up when your first sim is about to expire.  but i think as i mentined earlier it would be most benificial for you to simply renew early you refered to a $52 plan for 6 gb.

I would get the 90 day plan for 18gb and that should last you 1.5 months then renew that sim early to get another 90 days. this way you pay $150-6  which works out to be $96 /month.

post i would.

Done

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@koimr1wrote:

@Gwaiiguywrote:

yup the "go elsewhere" seems like a goto answer for most threads. smh

Shake it all you want - did you not look into what Public Mobile was all about and offered you joined? Due diligence and all that.

And the answer to most threads here is definitely not "go elsewhere".

I'm actually surprised that @Gwaiiguy didn't jump on one of the 10GB/$60 promos last December - would have been quite close to what they seem to look for. And those plans did definitely get plenty of publicity.

@tlellbeewrote:

I am new to this form of cell service and the community forum pages but why are the people who seem to be the lead advisors on here keep trying to get dissussors to change providers? Simply asked questions aren't answered without all the other rhetoric PM bashing how they want you to move?   

99% or so of the posts in this community are written by Public Mobile's customers (only people with an orange "PM" or a blue "Mod" flag are actual PM employees)... A lot of customers, namely the ones on the 12GB/$120/90days promo, experienced what they / we percieve as broken promises and breach of trust from the Public Mobile / Telus side.

We have always been on the "be loyal to your wallet first" train here, but the above has hightened that sense even more.

Also, the message is not a simple "go elsewhere", it's "define your needs, do your homework and act accordingly".

Public Mobile's offers are what they are, they reflect what Telus thinks makes business sense. If they fit your usage needs and budget, stay. If your needs and budget are better met with a different offer from a different brand / carrier, take advantage of their offers / promos.

@Gwaiiguywrote:

@srlawrenwrote:

@Gwaiiguywrote:

@ Maybe you haven't looked around but even koodo, which is where PM seems to try and push it's customers to, has a 10 gig plan. that said it actually would be cheaper to just get 2 plans a month with PM @ a total of 104$ (minus bonus creds) for 12 gigs saving 11$ (plus creds) and get 2 extra gigs over koodo and an extra number to do prank calls with.Man Winkjk

@Gwaiiguy again, this is 100% intentional.  If your needs change (i.e. you need more data), they are hoping you will move up the food chain onto a post-paid plan at Koodo or Telus that will meet your needs.  Same great network, with more services for you and more stable ARPU for Telus.  Win-win, in their eyes.  Telus has no desire to offer large data plans on their pre-paid PM tier at this time, nor do I personally think they are likely to do so anytime soon.  If you need more data, you'll have to come up with other arrangements like going elsewhere or as you put it, getting two lines.  

That makes no sense to me. Why offer loyalty bonuses then? Why make it cheaper to get 12 gig on PM than koodo if you want migration.? do have a link that backs this theory? because if i want 10 or more gig (which is 115$ at koodo) i can get 2 6g lines at 52$ each minus 2 autopays and 2 referals for a grand total of 94$. i dont see how this would make anybody migrate.....

EDIT: now that ive read this to myself it seems like it would be in PM"s best interest to offer a high data plan. it would prevent the above scenario of multiple credits per customer and multiple phone lines per customer.

@Gwaiiguy, where are you getting that price?  When I bring up 30 day Province Wide calling international texting I can only see 5GB LTE and it is $62 a month.  The 4+2 for $52 is 3G or LTE Light so you can't compare those as they are not the same.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Gwaiiguy

@koimr1wrote:

@Gwaiiguywrote:

Shake it all you want - did you not look into what Public Mobile was all about and offered you joined? Due diligence and all that.

a quick search of "shop around" or "other providers" gleans numerous results i didn't even try "go elsewhere" so... 

BTW

@tlellbee is my roommate in same position as i with poor linterent service. so i don't think we are the only ones looking for ways to get the cheapest data. 

tlellbee
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am new to this form of cell service and the community forum pages but why are the people who seem to be the lead advisors on here keep trying to get dissussors to change providers? Simply asked questions aren't answered without all the other rhetoric PM bashing how they want you to move?   

Gwaiiguy

thank you @mimmo if i knew how to change the solved to your

@mimmowrote:

@Gwaiiguy  If you are doing the two sim route i would top one up and keep one expired and load it up when your first sim is about to expire.  but i think as i mentined earlier it would be most benificial for you to simply renew early you refered to a $52 plan for 6 gb.

I would get the 90 day plan for 18gb and that should last you 1.5 months then renew that sim early to get another 90 days. this way you pay $150-6  which works out to be $96 /month.

post i would.

koimr1

@Gwaiiguywrote:

Shake it all you want - did you not look into what Public Mobile was all about and offered before you joined? Due diligence and all that.

mimmo

Gwaiiguy

koimr1

@Gwaiiguywrote:

well, maybe the amount of bravos speak for themselves.

I'm not inerested in argueing...this is the discussion thread and i was having a discussion, if you didn't like the discussion you are welcome to not participate.

that said its not a deal breaker to forward calls.

Just because you lurk on here 24hrs a day collecting bravos does not make you an authority on what PM has in store or not.

and no need to reply as im done with this thread because the discussion made up my mind which way to go.

thanx and no hard feelings;)

@srlawrenhas the number of bravos that he has because he's been an extremely helpful and friendly member of the community. He's knowledgable and what he's written carries a lot of weight with me and I would assume others as well.

No one knows what PM has in store for the future, not even the oracles and even the moderators (I'm guessing) would know either.

If I were to make MY guess then, as you've noted, PM is not for you. They will never offer plans that will compete with Koodo or Telus proper. That wouldn't make sense.

Personally I'll go further and suggest that PM was bought out originally by Telus as an anti-competitive measure ("look see we do offer low prices") as is Fido/Chatr/Lucky/etc. With that in mind I don't seem them ever touching the features that they have elsewhere.

Gwaiiguy

well, maybe the amount of bravos speak for themselves.

I'm not inerested in argueing...this is the discussion thread and i was having a discussion, if you didn't like the discussion you are welcome to not participate.

that said its not a deal breaker to forward calls.

Just because you lurk on here 24hrs a day collecting bravos does not make you an authority on what PM has in store or not.

and no need to reply as im done with this thread because the discussion made up my mind which way to go.

thanx and no hard feelings;)

srlawren

@Gwaiiguywrote:

look @srlawren if you dont like the discussion ..move along.

none of those links you provided even suggest that PM wants customers to leave. and no you dont need a dual sim to take advantage of two sims its called remove and replace.

like i said... ornery lurkers sniffing around for bravos....

@Gwaiiguy are you calling me an ornery lurker sniffing around for bravos? I assure you, I have no shortage of bravos, and I'm not a lurker.  

You could remove and replace, but that's a hassle unless you have anything but a data-only plan.  Are you talking about a data only plan?  If so, then I take back my comments.  Pick up as many data-only PM plans on as many SIMs as you'd like.  Congralations on finding this loophole, I hope you enoy it thoroughly.  For everyone else that uses talk and/or text services along with their data, remove and replace isn't a great suggestion.  Granted you could forward the calls and I suppose put the "removed" SIM into a spare Android phone plugged into a power outlet and foward your texts to your "replacement" SIM to work around it.  Seems like a hassle but to each their own.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Gwaiiguy

look @srlawren if you dont like the discussion ..move along.

none of those links you provided even suggest that PM wants customers to leave. and no you dont need a dual sim to take advantage of two sims its called remove and replace.

like i said... ornery lurkers sniffing around for bravos....

mimmo

@Gwaiiguy  the other option is to simply renew your plan early once your data runs out.  this is an option that pm currently offers.    typically it is more costly renewing early but it seems your case it might work.

srlawren

@Gwaiiguywrote:

EDIT: now that ive read this to myself it seems like it would be in PM"s best interest to offer a high data plan. it would prevent the above scenario of multiple credits per customer and multiple phone lines per customer.

@Gwaiiguy look, if you want two PM lines for more data, then go activate another one.  Nobody's stopping you.  I'm not sure why you're hapring on this.  It's an option for sure.  Please enjoy.

srlawren

@Gwaiiguy having two 6GB lines at PM only makes sense for people with a dual SIM phone whom don't mind switching their active data sim back and forth as needed to manage their data.  I would conjecture that is a small minority of their customer base.  

Telus make their most money on their post-paid plans.  If they were to offer up high data amounts on PM at a much lower cost (within the convenience of a single line), they would end up canabalizing their own higher-profit customers (like they did to some extent with the 2016 Fall Promo).  This doesn't make sense to them on a long-term basis.  They keep the plans smaller at PM so they can be affordable for people that can't justify spending more on the bigger plans at Koodo and Telus, so they don't miss out on that segment of the market in general.

There is a statement "Attracting and retaining high-quality customers to support future revenue and profitability" in thier Q4 2017 results presentation that I think really captures that mentality. @MEU_21 lays it out pretty clearly here why Telus want you to migrate upward.

Gwaiiguy

@srlawrenwrote:

@Gwaiiguywrote:

@ Maybe you haven't looked around but even koodo, which is where PM seems to try and push it's customers to, has a 10 gig plan. that said it actually would be cheaper to just get 2 plans a month with PM @ a total of 104$ (minus bonus creds) for 12 gigs saving 11$ (plus creds) and get 2 extra gigs over koodo and an extra number to do prank calls with.Man Winkjk

@Gwaiiguy again, this is 100% intentional.  If your needs change (i.e. you need more data), they are hoping you will move up the food chain onto a post-paid plan at Koodo or Telus that will meet your needs.  Same great network, with more services for you and more stable ARPU for Telus.  Win-win, in their eyes.  Telus has no desire to offer large data plans on their pre-paid PM tier at this time, nor do I personally think they are likely to do so anytime soon.  If you need more data, you'll have to come up with other arrangements like going elsewhere or as you put it, getting two lines.  

That makes no sense to me. Why offer loyalty bonuses then? Why make it cheaper to get 12 gig on PM than koodo if you want migration.? do have a link that backs this theory? because if i want 10 or more gig (which is 115$ at koodo) i can get 2 6g lines at 52$ each minus 2 autopays and 2 referals for a grand total of 94$. i dont see how this would make anybody migrate.....

srlawren

@Gwaiiguywrote:

Gwaiiguy

@kav2001cwrote:

Keep up with who?

Noone is offering in market 10+ GB plans unless you pay an arm and a leg or say you live in a specific province

You would be cheaper to get a dual SIM phone than trying to activate 10GB on a single line

Or do a shared plan

@Maybe you haven't looked around but even koodo, which is where PM seems to try and push it's customers to, has a 10 gig plan. that said it actually would be cheaper to just get 2 plans a month with PM @ a total of 104$ (minus bonus creds) for 12 gigs saving 11$ (plus creds) and get 2 extra gigs over koodo and an extra number to do prank calls with.Man Winkjk

srlawren

@Gwaiiguywrote:

I may be but one voice in a sea but im sure im not the only fish that uses high data. That said none of you actually work for PM so not too sure how think you know what is coming down the pipe. Also this is the only provider i've known that tries to get customers to LEAVE and use a different provider ,not sure this is A PM policy or just ornery community lurkers. Whether they are a subsiderary of telus or not. I simply posted to let PM employees know there is a need. I don't see how it makes a difference if its a "first tier" or a "ninth tier" PM and telus are still in it to make $$$$ and that is accomplished by selling airtime, data or otherwise.

Thank you

@Gwaiiguy the entire reason PM exists is that Telus hopes as your needs change you will migrate onto their other tiers (Koodo or Telus itself) to take advantage of a phone tab, "frills" services like VoLTE or Visual Voicemail, etc.  PM is meant to be a foot in the door, and to do that, they market it for people with [relatively] modest needs and tighter budgets.  You won't find 10 or 12 GB plans at Chatr or Lucky, and those are the brands with which PM is trying to compete.

Gwaiiguy

I never thought of renewing early as a way of accessing more data. this is something i may consider in the future, once i do the math on cost. thanks!

@Gwaiiguy IF (note the big if) Public Mobile has a data plan that's cost per GB meets your needs, then it does have a significant advantage over all other carriers. Namely, you may renew your plan early when more data is needed. I have a friend out in the boonies who can only access cellular or satellite data. He converted to an 18 GB 3G data plan ($150/90 days) and regularly renews 4-6 weeks early for the 6 months/year he is in Canada.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Gwaiiguy

I may be but one voice in a sea but im sure im not the only fish that uses high data. That said none of you actually work for PM so not too sure how think you know what is coming down the pipe. Also this is the only provider i've known that tries to get customers to LEAVE and use a different provider ,not sure this is A PM policy or just ornery community lurkers. Whether they are a subsiderary of telus or not. I simply posted to let PM employees know there is a need. I don't see how it makes a difference if its a "first tier" or a "ninth tier" PM and telus are still in it to make $$$$ and that is accomplished by selling airtime, data or otherwise.

Thank you

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Gwaiiguy, it is a lot easier to shop around and find the plan that best meets your needs instead of trying to persuade a carrier to offer a plan that you want so that you can get it.  That said, your comment is noted.  Recognize you are but one voice in a sea of customers. 

Keep up with who?

Noone is offering in market 10+ GB plans unless you pay an arm and a leg or say you live in a specific province

You would be cheaper to get a dual SIM phone than trying to activate 10GB on a single line

Or do a shared plan

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

And even if they were offered, with PM's current LTE prices it wouldnt be any cheaper than the Big 3. But as stated they would prefer you move to Koodo Telus to get higher GB etc

Need Help? Let's chat.