cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 800 or long distance numbers

Gizmo2021
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Does anyone know if there is a way on your phone or with public mobile you can block any 1 800 number or long distance numbers. Telemarketers are getting annoying 

8 REPLIES 8

Ha. Hate to say it @JRod this doesn't work. It actually made it worse. With one of my other phones numbers I put my name and number on that list. WIthin 3 months I was getting 3 times as many calls I was the previous few months. I think that hotline is a scam and has no teeth to do anything.

@HALIMACS wrote:

Thing is @JRod that DNCL only has impact for Canadian-based organizations.

Anything outside Canada has zero influence/affect and that’s where the problem lies.

I believe that the national do no call ist does next to nothing.  There are times that I get calls from a company multiple days in a row trying to sell Fido services.  There are rules against companies calling people on the do not call list, but even some Canadian companies ignore the rules.  They're probably already factored in how much possible fine would cost an compared it to the amount they could make by selling some good or service.

Gizmo2021
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi thanks. Have signed up a whole ago with them and they continue to keep calling when I tell them they always come up with some excuse why they don't have to go by it thanks though I hope someday the CRTC or whoever will start to pay attention and fine some of these people. I appreciate the response 

Thing is @JRod that DNCL only has impact for Canadian-based organizations.

Anything outside Canada has zero influence/affect and that’s where the problem lies.

Grinch
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Yes you can in a round about way. 

I have an iPhone. 
I put every possible number in my contacts, friend or foe. 

I then set up call blocking to block any number that is not in my contacts. I also allow calls in, if called twice within 3 minutes. I also have a voicemail message asking for their name, number and purpose of call. 

It works but does allow voicemails. 

Keep in mind those telemarketers are spoofing the number and change them frequently. So no point of individually blocking them after the fact. 

JRod
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

While this isn’t an immediate solution, you could list yourself on Canada’s national do not call list. 
https://lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/en/Consumer/Register-your-number/#!/

Telemarketers then have 30 days from the time you registered to stop calling you or else you then can report them once the 30 days of registration has passed. It’s helped a ton for me, hopefully it’ll do the same for you.

maple_leaf
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hello @Gizmo2021 ,

Depending on your phone, Android or iOS/Apple, you can block numbers as they call you and you can also block all calls that show up as "unknown" on call display.

(Android)

Open the Phone app and tap on the three vertical dots in the upper right corner. Select Settings > Blocked Numbers. Toggle 'Unknown' On. Add numbers (including those with toll-free area codes) to your blocked numbers list. Note: when a call comes in that you want to block, don't answer it, and then long press the number in call history and select block number.

(iOS)

Similar process:

Go to Settings > Phone > Blocked Contacts > Add New

Hope this helps.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

No way to block all calls from 1 800 numbers @Gizmo2021 

Best thing to do is not answer them as the more you answer calls from spam or telemarketers, the more you may notice calls will increase as your number is registered as one which may be answered.

if an unknown number calls you and does not leave a voice message, it wasn’t important enough for you to waste your time with.

Another option, albeit time consuming, is to set all your contacts as exceptions to a “do not disturb” setting. This way, your phone will only ring through when indicated contacts call you. However, this may not be a feasible option when expecting calls from numbers that are not on your contact list.

Need Help? Let's chat.