cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detailed Data Usage

TeeChild
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How can I see detailed data usage? My data has nearly run out, and it makes no sense to me. I've never even used 1/4 of my data, and nothing has changed (on my end) that I know of. I checked my app usage, and the math doesn't work. I'd like to see from Public Mobile's end where my data is going.

EDIT: I know about the data summary page "Data & Add-On Usage". I'm looking for details of use.

Note: using an iPhone 8

Thanks for any help!

19 REPLIES 19

Dogbert
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Not an iPhone expert, but I've heard individuals having the automatic sync with iCloud feature on and it can burn through alot of data.  Here's a good article on this topic (link).

NW1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

In your iPhone settings, you can see what apps are using the most data.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TeeChild 

So you're probably already looking at your View My Usage page.

GinYVR has a great idea to suck it all down to a spreadsheet and massage it there.

But you can also click on the top headings to sort by that column...in particular Usage Type.

MB = counted data. MMS is not counted in data. Data gets rounded up 10 kb. You only get to see up to 3 months back.

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@TeeChild Some apps are running in background as long as you don't have the data on. You have to go to setting and block the apps to run in background. 

Here are the advices from the moderator:

In order for you to have more control over you data usage, we recommend turning off data when is not needed. Also disabling Wi-Fi assist (for iPhone) or Smart network switch (for Android) to avoid the phone connects and jumps automatically from Wi-Fi to data. 

It is also recommended to restrict background data to avoid that applications connect automatically to your data and make small updates as soon as you turn it on.  

You may consider monitoring your data from the setting of your phone if you have an android (settings-data- set data limit – enter your billing cycle- your data allotment so the phones gives you a breakdown per app) .

You may also consider getting a third party application that will give you a breakdown of the usage per app, so you know what application is using your data or if it is the operating system of your phone. 

chelsealzl
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

If you go to Plan & Add-ons then Usage History, you should be able to select a period of time and view your detailed data usage at certain days and times.

@TeeChild no it doesn't read historical data, you have to use it for a while to gauge what is being used.

TeeChild

Not yet, but thanks for the suggestion! Can it read historical data? I literally have no data left so I can't use my phone normally at all. I've disabled everything.

@mimmoDo note mydatamanger uses VPN to monitor traffic, it is a pretty risky to one's privacy as we never know what companies will do with the information as it routes everything through it. I would only use it as the absolutely last resort (I would even put buying more data before it).

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@TeeChild  did you try installing mydatamanager?  it should be able to show more specifics than  the builtin iphone data tracker.

I was under the impression that it allowed historical usage. Thanks for letting me know. @GinYVR 

@TeeChild 

Here is an interesting thread from our resident apple expert about data tracking:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/data/m-p/387504#M47122

@TeeChildData Event should be MMS. All TCP traffic is marked as web. You won't see traffic patterns from the usage page.. just the for web page you see Web.. They have to balance privacy vs information. Since the ship has sailed, I would suggest wait till your next renewal.. reset your Usage Statistic and go from there.

TeeChild

Thanks but all I see is a summary:( I already know i've used up a lot of data. I want to know where i've used it. I'm looking for data details, day-by-day, upload vs download, etc. I see the occasional "Data event" but have no idea what this means.

TeeChild

Thanks - i'm actually looking for detailed usage. Upload vs Download, day-by-day, that kind of thing. Something that will help me pinpoint the issue. All I can see is data used vs data left.

FilamentCat
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

While I can't speak on the accuracy of the IPhone's data tracking, I do know that end devices can underestimate the amount of data they send out. Though only showing 1/4 of the actual usage is definitely way off of what is expected from this.

I'd check your phone's data renewel date. It is possible you just have the wrong data selected.

But if what you are looking for is a way to see what apps used the most data from Public mobile, That is impossible. At least, if they at all value our privacy. As @Dunkman said, they do have a relatively accurate data analytics page. It's about as accurate you can get without massive privacy concerns.

Several have suggested data analytics apps, so I'd go searching around for some. I don't have any personal reccommendations as I use Android. 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

After you log into your self serve account under data and add-ons then click on view usage then usage history.

Make sure you turn off automatic updates for apps and notifications for social media apps like Twitter and Facebook.  Also use maps offline.

You could install an app like My data manager but I don’t think you can track download vs upload.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@TeeChildOne hint about using Public Mobile's usage, if you use Excel, you can scrape off  the usage from the webpage into it and use sort/function there much easier.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@TeeChild 

In general, the PM data tracker is fairly accurate. 

In your self service account, there is a section on phone usage history.  Under Plans & Add ons section, Usage history tab. (upper right corner)

Anonymous
Not applicable

From the main screen of your self serve portal, click on view my usage (in the plan section).  You can then see a range of dates.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I would install a data tracking app like my data manager. It I believe will give a better breakdown of usage. 

For checking data usage login to selfserve and you will see the data addon and click view usage. 

Need Help? Let's chat.