cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated: Get 8.5 GB at 3G speed + 2 GB of US Data + UL Canada/US Talk & Text for $60!

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Update as of October 11, 2019: This plan is now expired.

Hey Community,

Say hello to Summer :)! We’ve got the perfect plan for anyone headed state-side this Summer. For a limited time only, effective July 19th, 2019, you could get 8.5 GB of Canada Wide data, plus 2 GB of US Data Roaming, and Unlimited US roaming/Canada US Talk & Text for $60/mo! 

Plan details:

$60 for 8.5 GB at 3G speed + 2 GB of US Data + UL Canada/US Talk & Text

• 30-day plan
  • 8 GB of Canada-wide data at 3G speed + 500 MB with AutoPay
  • Unlimited Canada/US Talk & Text - You could talk and text as much as you like from Canada to the U.S., and vice versa! 
  • Additional 2 GB of US data roaming
  • International text included in both Canada + U.S.
  • New and current customers are eligible

How this plan works:

Making a call to someone in Canada

Making a call to someone outside of Canada

In Canada

Included

Only U.S. included 

In U.S.

Included

Only U.S. included

How to get this offer:

New customers

Current customers

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online or locate a participating retailer to purchase a SIM Card.
  2. Visit activate.publicmobile.ca and follow the instructions to activate your SIM Card. If purchasing from a participating retailer, the retail associate can assist you with the activation.
  3. During the activation process, select the Ready-made plan “$60 UL Can/US Talk & Text 8.5GB Can 3G Data with AutoPay plus 2GB US Data Roaming”.
  1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the Ready-made plan “$60 UL Can/US Talk & Text 8.5GB Can 3G Data with AutoPay plus 2GB US Data Roaming”. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

-Public Mobile Community Team

FAQs

Spoiler

Question

Answer

How long will this plan be in market?

This is a limited time offer and is subject to change without notice. Please refer to Public Mobile’s Service Terms.  Please note that the promotion will not be honoured after it has ended. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online, are in-transit and not yet activated.

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

I am an existing customer. What is the difference between changing my plan immediately and changing my plan on the next renewal date?

When changing your plan, you have 2 options: (1) change your plan immediately or (2) change on your next renewal date.

Here is the difference:

Changing your plan immediately...

You may choose to change your plan immediately if you have used all or most of your services, if your account is suspended and you would like a different plan, or if you would like to get started right away on the new plan. Here are some things you should know about this option:

●     There must be enough funds in your account to cover the full amount of the new plan.

●     A new payment cycle starts when you activate your new plan.

●     Your plan will not be prorated, which means that any days remaining in your current payment cycle will not be credited to your new plan.

●     Due to system limitations, if your account is suspended, you will need to send a private message to our Moderator Team here to change your plan immediately. You will need to be signed in to the Community for the link to work.

●     Any earned Rewards will be applied on your next renewal after the plan change.

Changing your plan at the next renewal date…

On the other hand, you may choose to change your plan on your next renewal date because it allows you to use the services you have already paid for. We recommend this option so your money can go further. Here are some things you should know about this option:

●     If you choose to change your plan on your next plan renewal date, the amount owed will be automatically updated.

●     If you have AutoPay set up, the amount of your new plan will be charged on your payment due date.

●     You can cancel a future-dated plan change at any time by clicking on the ‘Plans and Add-Ons’ tab and selecting ‘Cancel Order’.

●     Any earned Rewards will be applied on your next renewal after the plan change.

What happens if the “$60 UL Can/US Talk & Text 8.5GB Can 3G Data with AutoPay plus 2GB US Data Roaming” plan becomes unavailable before my next plan renewal date?

If you chose to change your plan to “$60 UL Can/US Talk & Text 8.5GB Can 3G Data with AutoPay plus 2GB US Data Roaming” on the next renewal date and the request has been submitted successfully, you will still switch to “$60 unlimited Canada/US Talk & Text” even if the promotion ends before your renewal date occurs.

380 REPLIES 380

hasan9800
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Good Evening, 

You are correct there is a zone you enter where you dont get a signal until you cross 12 miles(approx)  then it connects you. 

-it doesnt matter ive tried all phones including Note9 

-What I found interesting it will bounce between T-Mobile and AT&T, but prefered network AT&T

-LTE+ i get 150MBPS Blu Vivo xi+ (more than I can ask for) 

-But, When heading North Bound it stays Roaming until you cross into canada for a mile. 

For people who lives near the border. You got lots of options which network to connect to.

My advice: Go into Network Settings on your phone and Dont let it select automatically the network. Select Manually. 

All phones are designed to connect to a network that has a better reception. Especially when you have a roaming option included in your plan. 

Ask me if you need more help. 

Becca
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Awesome! Thank you so much @tehowennathe. 😄

I have to say, Public Mobile is HUGELY refreshing!! 🙂

@torontokris wrote:

Still hoping waiting for a 4+1GB version of this for maybe $40?

Would tempt me to leave Fall 2016 Promo plan

That would be good but why would they offer it for $40 if people are willng to pay $60? If would be good if all plans included U.S. calling and roaming but then people would also say they shouldn't need to pay for features they don't need.

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@medethic wrote:

I commute daily across the border for work. I recently switched this plan and my observation regarding transition of network is as under.

Once you cross the border, you may still be connected to the Public Mobile network as long as you are near the Canadian border and Network. Once the strength of the network goes down, it will automatically try to connect to the AT&T. During this, you will loose network for 2-3 minutes. I believe it all depends on your device how quickly it searches for the available network to automatically connect. After the network gets connected, it takes another 30 seconds to 1 minute for it to connect to the data which is at full LTE+ speed and not throttled to 3g speeds. Network in the US is solid once connected. I've noticed that after I get connected to the AT&T, for first few minutes if I try to call Canadian number, it asks me to dial 1 plus Canadian number to allow the outgoing call. However after 20-30 minutes of being connected, I've tried to call Canada and it would allow me to dial without adding 1. So I believe for first few 5-15 minutes after crossing the border, you may experience some disconnections and difficulty to swtich to network and to make a calls. The highway I take after crossing the border in the US is parallel to the Canadian Border, so I keep getting disconnected and reconnected few times until the highway's direction turns and is no longer in proximity to Canada. Do keep your network mode as Automatic otherwise you may have to manually search network and connect which will take few more extra minutes. I hope this helps to those who are looking for the transition experience.

I guess it depends on where you are. I keep phone on manual because area I visit TMobile gets good coverage but it's data doesn't always work. I manually select at&t and areas that wouldn't get TMobile data work perfectly. I think it's the more rural states that you won't get best TMobile data

tehowennathe

@Becca wrote:

Hey There! 

I totally signed up today and got this plan! But... it doesn't show all that good stuff in my plan in my account. My account just has:

• - 8.5GB at 3G Speed
  • - Unlimited International Text
  • - Unlimited Talk to Canada and the US

So the 2GB of US Data, the extra 500MB for autopay and it doesn't mention voicemail and call display. 

I am planning a to be in the US from the 15 of August to the 5th of September - will this plan take care of me down there (keeping an eye on that 2GB of data, or course)

Thanks for any help you can give me!

I was in the US last week and it works perfectly. You will get the usual Welcome to the US text. It will also say you need a roaming add on. Simply ignore it and go on your trip like normal. It will work fine. Depending where you are I suggest manually selecting AT&T. I was automatically connecting to T-Mobile and noticed that is less populated areas data was spotty even when coverage was good. At&t worked in every area I been. Best to keep your phone set to manual for best network coverage and data.

Becca

Hey There! 

I totally signed up today and got this plan! But... it doesn't show all that good stuff in my plan in my account. My account just has:

• - 8.5GB at 3G Speed
  • - Unlimited International Text
  • - Unlimited Talk to Canada and the US

So the 2GB of US Data, the extra 500MB for autopay and it doesn't mention voicemail and call display. 

I am planning a to be in the US from the 15 of August to the 5th of September - will this plan take care of me down there (keeping an eye on that 2GB of data, or course)

Thanks for any help you can give me!

medethic

I commute daily across the border for work. I recently switched this plan and my observation regarding transition of network is as under.

Once you cross the border, you may still be connected to the Public Mobile network as long as you are near the Canadian border and Network. Once the strength of the network goes down, it will automatically try to connect to the AT&T. During this, you will loose network for 2-3 minutes. I believe it all depends on your device how quickly it searches for the available network to automatically connect. After the network gets connected, it takes another 30 seconds to 1 minute for it to connect to the data which is at full LTE+ speed and not throttled to 3g speeds. Network in the US is solid once connected. I've noticed that after I get connected to the AT&T, for first few minutes if I try to call Canadian number, it asks me to dial 1 plus Canadian number to allow the outgoing call. However after 20-30 minutes of being connected, I've tried to call Canada and it would allow me to dial without adding 1. So I believe for first few 5-15 minutes after crossing the border, you may experience some disconnections and difficulty to swtich to network and to make a calls. The highway I take after crossing the border in the US is parallel to the Canadian Border, so I keep getting disconnected and reconnected few times until the highway's direction turns and is no longer in proximity to Canada. Do keep your network mode as Automatic otherwise you may have to manually search network and connect which will take few more extra minutes. I hope this helps to those who are looking for the transition experience.

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Still hoping waiting for a 4+1GB version of this for maybe $40?

Would tempt me to leave Fall 2016 Promo plan

ironmikel

Mine shows 8.5GB $50 and 30 day plan $10 in the transaction history. In the "My Data & Add-Ons" section there are 2 data buckets shown with the amount used: 

1) 2GB at 3G Speed

2) 8.5GB at 3G Speed

Hope that helps.

benndy

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but how will this plan show up on my transaction history? For example the $25 dollar plan shows up as $10 for the 30 day plan and $15 for the 1 GB of data. Will the US portion be clearly labelled and separate charge? What is the itemized value for the US portion? It would be for reimbursement from work.

Thanks for your help!

rompre99

@AE_Collector  The roaming limit is 120 days per year limit.  

For Certain!

Terry

jor123

@AE_Collector wrote:

There appears to be no  interest in going above 8.5 Gb of data. Obviously Telus has input into what PM offers and with recent elimination of some if the few LTE speed plans it looks to me as though throttled speed and less than large data plans are the target market. Obviously Telus wants there to be a point where stepping up to the main brand is the way to go.

Terry

I guess PM is more of a "value"/lower ARPU type service for telus. 

@computergeek541 wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@KamWest wrote:

I'm still not convinced the plan includes global text, it's pretty clear when it says Canada,US text which can also be stated as intdrnational without including other countries.

All other plans state global text specifically, so I don't think this plan has it.

Just imagine how sweet this plan would be with global text and having access to the remianing 2gb of data within Canada as needed.

I mean 60 bucks is getting up there for 3g service so giving us data and not letting us use all of it if we are not travelling that month seems kind of a grab on their behalf.

I think you might have a point about the international texting.  In the plan offer it only mentions unlimited US/Canada texting, although it may just be an error in the wording by PM and international texting is really available with this plan.  It wouldn't make any sense for it not to be included since all the other plans have it. 

Hopefully, someone will be able to confirm that international texting works with this plan.

Incoming and outgoing text messages to and from someone from anywhere are included while you're Canada or the U.S.

@computergeek541   Thanks for the clarification, hopefully it'll help @KamWest   The wording in the offer is a little ambigous IMO.

@KamWest wrote:

I'm still not convinced the plan includes global text, it's pretty clear when it says Canada,US text which can also be stated as intdrnational without including other countries.

All other plans state global text specifically, so I don't think this plan has it.

Just imagine how sweet this plan would be with global text and having access to the remianing 2gb of data within Canada as needed.

I mean 60 bucks is getting up there for 3g service so giving us data and not letting us use all of it if we are not travelling that month seems kind of a grab on their behalf.

@KamWest, Public Mobile did previously offer a sms plan for Canada wide, and canadawide plus international.  Sometime in late 2016 or early 2017, they dropped the CANADA Only option, although some subscribers may still be on that option.

Is for the 3G, the service LTE network throttled to 3G speeds, which most customers do not see a real world difference in day to day usage.  The only way you are on a 3G network at Public Mobile is if you force you phone to use 3G network, or your phone is unable to use the 4G services.

@Alan_K, yet again, another subscriber confused my your marketing departments naming of the throttled speed plans.  Let’s get this fixed.  I’m getting tired explaining your company’s mistakes over and over again.  @sheytoon , @srlawren 

@dabr wrote:

@KamWest wrote:

I think you might have a point about the international texting.  In the plan offer it only mentions unlimited US/Canada texting, although it may just be an error in the wording by PM and international texting is really available with this plan.  It wouldn't make any sense for it not to be included since all the other plans have it. 

Hopefully, someone will be able to confirm that international texting works with this plan.

Incoming and outgoing text messages to and from someone from anywhere are included while you're Canada or the U.S.

@KamWest wrote:

There appears to be no  interest in going above 8.5 Gb of data. Obviously Telus has input into what PM offers and with recent elimination of some if the few LTE speed plans it looks to me as though throttled speed and less than large data plans are the target market. Obviously Telus wants there to be a point where stepping up to the main brand is the way to go.

Terry

maheshboloor

@KamWest It clearly mentions unlimited international texting. So I am pretty sure it includes it. I am currently on the 40$/5 gb plan and it includes free international texting. I cannot imagine a 60$ plan not having it. 

As far as 'let us use 2 gb US data in Canada if not used in US'  is concerned, that would be good for us customers but PM obviously have thier reasons for not doing that. 

Overall I think this plan is pretty much the best Canada / US 'value' plan for frequent US visitors (available in Canada).

As far as '3g' speeds are concerned, I am super impressed. I have been using my phone to tether to my laptop and have worked on VPN and VM machines, and it works great. Dosent feel like I need more speed at all. I have also been able to stream at 1080p without any buffering when the signal is good. 

KamWest

@rompre99 wrote:

Hi,

just a quick question.  There is a similar plan from Vidéotron in Québec but they have a limit of 120 days of roaming.  Since I’m looking at this plan for my parents that are snowbirds, the 120 days limit is a no go.  Does this plan has a similar limit?  

Thanks!

But do you mean only 120 days that you can have the plan with roaming OR a roaming package that lasts up to 120 days before any remaining data expires? Public Mobiles plan with 2 Gb of US Roaming Data is use it or lose it during the month but you should be able to stay on the plan for ever with it renewing every 30 days.

while I am not a snowbird, I like that you can change your plan every 30 days on Public Mobile. We have a cabin in WA state but it is within 1000 feet of the Canadian border so I can get by without US roaming picking up the TELUS network in the US. But since I have no internet/wifi service at our cabin I am bumping my phone to the 5Gb plan through the summer and will drop back to 1Gb over the winter. So your parents may be able to use the $60 plan with US roaming in the winter and a much less expensive plan the rest of the year. Where do your parents go? We stop at Hollywood Beach between Ft Lauderdale and Miami for a few days whenever we are taking a cruise from the area. Big Quebec presennce in the area which we enjoy.

Terry

@akstobbe wrote:

That's interesting - according to my profile I've not used any US data (since I haven't been in the US yet) and I've only used about 21 MB of my 8.5 GB. What status are you referencing?

He wasn’t replying to you but to @hasan9800 who posted his numbers.

Terry

jor123

Pretty cool! 

laila10

you bet 

...public mobile got really awesome promoti

laila10

good promotion and i sure lots of people switching....

TK123
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Global text is included in both the US and Canada.Global text.png

rompre99

No,

The roaming limit was for US use only.

thanks

@rompre99 wrote:

Hi,

just a quick question.  There is a similar plan from Vidéotron in Québec but they have a limit of 120 days of roaming.  Since I’m looking at this plan for my parents that are snowbirds, the 120 days limit is a no go.  Does this plan has a similar limit?  

Thanks!

I haven"t heard of any roaming limit at Public Mobile.  When it comes to Videtron roaming, remember to factor in that depending on where someone is travelling to, the customer might be roaming more often. This is because Videotron does not have a nation-wide network.

tehowennathe

My sister is on a Canada US plan with parent company Telus and there is no limit for how many days can be used. I'm assuming it's the same for PM. Best to ask a Moderator for sure. 

GR
Mayor / Maire

@rompre99   according to the fine print on the plan there's no limit. It can be use every month for the whole winter! 

Need Help? Let's chat.