Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,531 REPLIES 5,531

iPhoneusr
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This is very disappointing and I am logging a compliant with CCTS.

Public Mobile just notified me via text message that they are retiring the old rewards program at the beginning of May 2024.  They are requiring us to switch to the Public Points system. As a loyal customer, this is a difference of $4.47/month of $53.64/year plus tax based on my current plan.

Public Mobile has been VERY CLEAR in the past that they will not make changes to the existing rewards program, and would not require existing customers to switch to the new program.  This is false advertising and poor business practice.

It is especially disappointing as I very recently switched to a more expensive plan, and my old plan is no longer offered.  I did this on the basis of the above rewards program with increased savings based on years of being a loyal customer.  The data bonus is of no use for those of us that recently upgraded our plans to more data.  I typically use 3 - 4 GB per month, less than 1/10 of my current plan.  PM should do the right thing and make the switch optional, or do more to make the points plan similar in value to the old rewards program for loyal customers.  One would think it would be good business practice to have customer retention and reward existing customers based on longevity (like the old program did).

Public_Cust_17
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@ShawnC13 I understand your situation and that PM is a financially prudent decision for you... I don't think that is the case for most. I'm going to hang around until May and maybe something changes but I'll not be holding my breath.. I also think many a competitors marketing people will be coming up with something meanwhile.  100% the plan I'm thinking about would only be $9.92/mth so it's pretty much a no-brainer vs. $15/mth to stay where I am and slowly build up points vs less cost, more minutes and more data by switching.  Cheers!

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Woah, wasn't meant to be a direct personal attack on you, it was just a general statement. Sorry if it came off that way.

I stand by what I said, but there are levels to it of course. If the money being saved is literally preventing your bank from breaking, and you're going to suffer tremendously by switching to another company, then yeah, you obviously need to do what's best for you. But this doesn't remove that fact that you're also staying in an abusive relationship. Two things can be true at once. You've just decided that the money being saved has priority over your abuser facing consequences. Call that what you will. It doesn't make you a bad person regardless.

The reality is though, let's be honest, we're not talking about large variations in pricing here. There are so many companies out there who basically have identical pricing to PM. Unless your family members are all piggybacking referrals, they could easily find better deals elsewhere. There's also the notion of downgrading to save money. Many people have far more data than they actually need with PM, but have gone with these plans just because PM kept offering more data for the same price. How many of these people with $34 50gb plans, actually use 50gb? Could downgrade to slightly less data and pay far less, while not supporting the company who abused you. There are many options out there, it's a very nuanced topic as well.

@Tk111 wrote:

Once my current billing cycle is up, I’m switching over to the CHEAPEST plan until my “gifted” data is up. Then I’m jumping ship. 

If you mean the recent expiring in 150 days "gift for loyalty", (240GB for plans >$30, 30GB for >$24?, and 5GB for the $13/$15 plans)... There are first reports from people who tried your strategy and lost their gifted data. And there's nothing we can do about that since they seem to have foreseen it, programmed it accordingly and put it into the T&C.

I still really think things might have gone over slightly better if they hadn't sneakily taken the conversion option away 24hours or so before this announcement. If they had offered and communicated that everyone on the old rewards would be transitioned to points according to the conversion formula. And if they deem that bonus data gift is a good way to sweetening the deal (which is questionable, I mean I can't be the only one who is choosing my plan according to my needs and doesn't even use the whole plan data), then make it non-expiring and don't punish people for changing plans according to their needs.

Renzha
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

will move  all my 4 lines to other carriers even pay more 

JDBlue1966

That makes no sense. 

Patrick_PM

I received an email last week informing about the mandatory change to the points reward system and would receive 30 GB data bonus.

Of course, I will never be able to use it since I am on a unlimited data plan.

As of today, I received a text message saying it would be 240 GB instead.

No matter how much data bonus they give me, I still would not be able to use it since I am on an unlimited data plan.

@edeepm not here for the compensation (yes it is nice and I am not turning it down) but I started here because I wanted to help people, it was something I would do at night while watching tv.  Have my laptop open and answer some questions.  It has grown from there.  When I started the top Community reward as $6 and then $10 for Oracles.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@JDBlue1966 wrote:

I have one question. Is there difference in the monthly payment that I make now? I would assume its wont change.

@JDBlue1966, you will not get the $2 autopay and any longterm loyalty discount will be gone as well.  You will be paying your plan price +Tax then when you have accumulated 15 points you can convert them to $$ for future bills.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@golfball my comment were for the people who said they would go elsewhere for the same plan even if it was a bit more money.

Nice nickname hope you have been out on the course!!  I can't wait to go playing this Sunday

Public_Cust_17

@JDBlue1966 simple answer is yes you'll pay the full amount of the plan until you can build up enough points to cash em in.

@Public_Cust_17 if that plan works for you great!!  ALways follow the wallet.  I have had no issues with my service over the last many years and when I did need an issue resolved it was always dealt with in a timely manner.  I am actually trying to think if any of my referrals or even referral/referrals have needed assistance as I would here as I am still their point of contact.  For us this service just works without issue.  When that changes or it is no longer financially beneficial to the plans my family requires is when I will look for something else.

JDBlue1966

Thank you for that info. Looks like I will be looking else were for a plan. Even if it costs a bit more. 

@edeepm it has always been known that you could easily collect recyclable cans for return and make more than you do with PM Community rewards if you wanted to.

Public_Cust_17

@Wolfcore 100% agree as someone on the lowest cost plan because that makes the most sense for my usage history.  Referrals are a wash with the new *cough cough* rewards *just threw up in my mouth a little bit* plan!  LOL  Keep giving it to them!!

JDBlue1966

I have one question. Is there difference in the monthly payment that I make now? I would assume its wont change.

@Wolfcore wrote:

It's called having integrity, and standing up for what's right. You shouldn't let people (or companies), mistreat you like this, walk all over you, and then continue to support them. You'd only be doing a disservice to yourself and others. This goes for everything in life. It's a lack of self-respect really. 

Even if it costs a couple dollars more, it's worth it. Not everything is about money. This isn't even about the money to me. The extra $5 or whatever it is, isn't going to kill me, but it's about the principle. You shouldn't promise people something and then take it away, and that's why I'm here voicing my opinion. There needs to be consequences for actions like this, or they'll continue to abuse people in the future.

@Wolfcore this lack of self respect comment has crossed a line.  Basically by me saying that this is still the best place financially for me and my family you just said I have a lack of self respect and should be willing to pay more elsewhere because of this PM decision.  That is a very offensive comment not only to me or to anyone who continues with PM.  You are saying everyone that stays with PM lacks self respect?

I am still following my wallet of where best financially suits my family needs, I don't agree with the decision and have said that all along but I am not willing to financially hurt my family just so PM/Telus loses my business and the opening would be filled by someone in seconds anyway.  PM is still attracting new customers.

Wolfcore

So, with the:

- old system, you were saving $84 per year
- new system, you will be saving $42.40 per year

But with the new system, you need to collect 15 points before you can turn them in and save a single cent off your bill. In your case, it'll take you 6 months before you can convert those points into savings. At 6 months, you'll have 16.2 points, which you can use to pay your bill, and save $16.20.

JDBlue1966

So much for loyalty. Bet new customers get a better deal. 

golfball

Also, just because someone is paying more doesn't mean it's for the same service. For example, I can get 25GB for $24 elsewhere whereas on PM I would only get 1GB 3G which to me isn't worth it over the $15 plan I'm currently on. I was willing to switch to the $34 plan and have an upgrade scheduled but won't be keeping it since they're getting rid of rewards.

Public_Cust_17

@ShawnC13 you know what makes no sense to me... staying in an abusive relationship. The PM support sucks, the website sucks and now the rewards program sucks while I personally will be losing $7/mth.  Why in gods name would people put up with all of this when for a couple of extra bucks you can be done with it?  Personally I'm thinking a yearly plan on a competitor for $119 with unlimited talk/text and 15gb of data instead of the $15/mth for a measly 100 incoming talk minutes and 250mb makes a hell of a lot more sense.  I know I sure as heck wouldn't refer a friend to PM so I'll never get any rewards for that as I actually like my friends!!   

Alveeto

I don't think this is legal. The advertise for my plan clearly stated that the plan would not change in the future. If Public Mobile insists on this change, then they would be in breach of contract.

StrongRad

Out of touch millionaires.. It's like the Kellog CEO telling people who can't afford groceries to eat cereal for dinner.

JDBlue1966

I pay $34 for 40GB.IMG_8373.jpeg

Wolfcore

Actually, depending what plan you're on, it's far worse. 

For example, if you're on a really cheap plan, your 5% bonus will only be earning you 0.75 points per month. Which is 9 points per year. After you hit month 12, you will receive 10 points, which brings you above the threshold of 15 points needed to cash in, and brings you to a total of 19 points.

With the old system, assuming you were at the $5 loyalty mark, you'd be earning $60 per year + $2 autopay per month ($24 per year). For a grand total of $84 saved per year.

Old system = $84 per year
New system = $19 per year

84 is a 342% increase of 19, or 77% decrease, however you want to look at it.

This is all assuming you don't have referrals of course, so this is just the base. 

jimbobs2023

It will cost you more. Essentially, it is a price increase of at least, from my simple calculations, 15%

StrongRad

I am most definitely none too pleased about this treachery. 

Should I be surprised at this point? No. Ever since Telus acquired PM, I've been inundated with offers to move to Koodo or Telus away from PM. It honestly seemed from the get-go that Telus just wanted the additional PM users to jump ship and then shutter the discount brand.

I get $9 off a month under my current legacy rewards and want nothing to do with the new system.

The legacy rewards should be grandfathered in, and all new accounts should be made to use their new system if that is the direction they want to go in.  Or if/when someone changes their service plan, they get bumped off the legacy rewards and moved to the new system. 

That at least seems fair to me.

It's bad enough that legacy loyalty rewards are capped at $5 regardless of how many more years than that you've been a customer.. but for my bill to go up $7 a month for a shoddy new rewards program is heinous.

Wolfcore

There are actually a bunch of different companies that offer rewards as well. Fizz for example, feels like the old PM, so many awesome (and ongoing) rewards. All of their plans are also offered to everybody; no exclusives for new-customers-only, for example.

PC Mobile is another one. They have some great plans right now, and also offer cashback in the form of PC Optimum points from each bill.

Lucky has a great referral program, which gives you a ton of savings back as well. It's only a one-time bonus, but lasts 10 months for each referral, so you'll really notice it.

Besides these though, there are also a bunch of companies that offer better savings period, even after rewards. Just gotta look into them. Fonus is one that's pretty great for example, and almost nobody knows about them. All depends what kind of plan you need.

AngTsang
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Reached out to a CS Agent & was told this was mandatory with no exceptions, so I tried to resolve it with my provider with unsuccess. Filed a complaint with CCTS. 

Public_Cust_17

@JDBlue1966  It's a bad thing! Period, end of sentence if you have accumulated 5 years/$5 of loyalty plus the $2 auto-pay unless you're on a very expensive plan.

Need Help? Let's chat.