Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,595 REPLIES 5,595

fixin1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@nimnum - From automatically depositing within My Account for the next month? Yes

The Loyalty and autopay rewards are the only ones gone while all of the refer a friend are staying with 1 point per referral and community rewards.

Also there is a new 5% back from your plan in points monthly. Also 5 welcome points as a one time thing.

You can redeem points for a $15 bill credit for 15 points, along with add-ons that are slightly cheaper, and promo offers.

nimnum
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Am I understanding this correctly, that all the loyalty, referral, etc discounts have been removed?

marcnoel
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Good luck with that.

Mahmoodkh

Never trust TELUS or any of its subsidiaries. After almost 6 years with Public Mobile and recommending it to my friends without any referral incentives, I feel betrayed. I'm now looking for another provider with a better reputation that I can trust.

jhhead
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Got the following email update from my CCTS complaint:

"Thank you for contacting the Commission for Complaints for Telecom-television Services (CCTS). The CCTS is an independent agency with a mandate to receive, facilitate the resolution of, and, if necessary, resolve eligible customer complaints relating to certain retail telecommunications and retail residential subscription television services.

We acknowledge receipt of your  e-mail,  of May 15,2024, for which we thank you. Please note your file has been moved to our  investigation stage and you should receive an email shortly with more details."

marcnoel

Just clarifying the customers that took your recommendation and are upset must have joined before January 2022, or else the change wouldn't affect them.

jimbobs2023
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Pierre wrote:

I know all that... I'm just frustrated to not have a little something more for supporting PM since almost the very beginning... 

Exactly the way I feel.  Over the years I've been with PM, I recommended them to many family members and friends (wasn't that interested in referrals, etc).  Many of those who signed up are now asking me what to do given the forced changes and effective price increases.  Suspect I'm going to hear a lot more as the May and June renewals roll in.

Pierre

I know all that... I'm just frustrated to not have a little something more for supporting PM since almost the very beginning... 

fixin1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Pierre - Yes, it is annoying but at least we still have points as a rewards system.

Although it is worse with no autopay or loyalty credits anymore we get 5% back in points from our plans then once you reach 15 points you can redeem it for a $15 credit manually.

I would suggest Fizz or Freedom Mobile if you don’t want to support the big three. Telus, Koodo and Public Mobile is all owned by TELUS.

Pierre

1st Billing whit the new structure... I feel like I just got screwed for $8.00 more than what I paid before... After 12 years with PM, I guess it's time to shop again ... 

DnBpublic

My “thank you” was 250gb data added to my already UNLIMITED DATA PLAN! 
What kind of thanks is that???

Moved:

SatPDG

Is it me or this new program does not help us at all to "earn and spend rewards with greater flexibility"? With the old program, my monthly bill was reduced by 1$ for each year I was subscribed to it. It was also reduced by 2$ because I was subscribed to the automatic payment. Now my bill is back to its full original price. So I do not see how this new program help me to get more reward. Worse, I now have to login in my user account at each month to redeemed my points to lower my bill. I do not care about buying data or more telephone minutes. I just want my cellphone bill to be as low as possible without having to redeem my point at each month. The old program was better. I am very disappointed by this new program.

thanks @colleeno 

yes, I can confirm with my couple family accounts that no friend referrals are lost, I got them all (except I have one friend left and of course I got 1 less plan, but that is expected) 

colleeno

@Y4J259 I can confirm that your April referral $ will not be lost if your subscription renews in May. My Rewards were switched to Points on May 3rd and my renewal date was 2 days later on the 5th. I had $14 in rewards earned in April ($4 Loyalty, $2 Autopay, $3 Referrals and $5 Community) and that amount was applied to my May renewal. My husband’s plan renews on May 27 and his upcoming payment info shows that his April referrals, loyalty and autopay will also be applied at his next renewal (in $).

@Y4J259 i  don't see you have a valid point for the complain. While PM does not apply the point on renewal, you have full power to redeem for $15 bill credit whenever you got 15 points.

And remember ,  PM has right to make change to its rewards program   Rewards are perk and not really part of the price and hence I doubt Government agency cam provide any help. Like my favorite story, my cash back credit card has changed from 2% to 1.5 to 1 over the years.  My Starbucks redemption gone from 125 point for a sandwich to 200 points and now 300 points.  What we learned? Businesses have right to make change to rewards system. Enjoy while you can and adapt to the latest rules 

Y4J259

@softech 

I understand that the points will be on my account 2 days after the bill. And moving forward, points will always be applied right after the bill cycle. 

But you must agree that PM will not be applying any points/$ during this bill cycle. 

Sure, they always have applied referral $ every bill cycle, right before the bill. And they will continue to apply points every 30 days (bill cycle) right after a bill. But for this month, they did not apply ANY points or $ and therefore screwing me over even more. 

1: I have made this point to CS_agent but they have not responded. 

2: if they do not apply referral (or community points for that matter) points this cycle, I will be filing a complaint with CCTS because PM say they will apply points/$ EVERY 30 days (bill cycle). 

@Y4J259

I full understand your point  

It is true the first bill right after rewards change you will be paying full price.  But the reward will be back to you in 2 days.  There are no loss but just a time difference 

You don't loss anything as long as you stay with PM 

Y4J259

@softech sorry you're having a hard time understanding this. 

In the past, referrals we're always applied before your bill date, this reducing your bill. I.e. in April my bill was lower because of referrals. Now I will have to pay the full May bill, and can't apply the 16 referrals (points to $) as PM will only apply the points AFTER my May bill payment. Which I can then apply to my June payment. 

So, by switching old loyalty rewards to new points rewards, PM is actually saving referrals for the month, I'm stuck paying a full bill With no referrals.

Sure, it's just the one month as moving forward I'll have to log in, and use 15 points to buy 15$ credit every month, but May's bill will be in full.

@Y4J259 I don't see how it is missed as long as you are not leaving PM.  It is now just added after the renewal, 2 days difference 

Of course you can say what if you are leaving after, them unfortunately, your unused points will be gone too.  This is part of the sad fact about rewards point system, but that is also why many businesses going with that

Y4J259

@softech while @Handy1 screenshot might have been misleading, it's fair to say that when PM switched to points, we lose our referrals for that month. 

In the past , referrals $ we're auto taken off your bill. I.e. in April you "earned" Referrals and then that was deducted from April's bill. Then in may, switched to points. But referrals points are added to account before May's bill date so you can't reduce your bill (assuming you have more than 15 referrals). They are applied after the bill. That's a whole month of referrals missing. Looks like @Handy1 will have to make another CCTS complaint 

gaiag

This is disappointing news and the first I heard of it was today when my bill amount increased. I was previously saving $72 per year with autopay and loyalty rewards. By my calculations on the new plan I will only save about $19 per year. When you live on a tight budget, a substantial bill increase like this without any notice is frustrating. 

marcnoel

In the movie Three Men and a Baby, Tom Selleck is about to walk out the door when one of the other guys says it's Tom's turn to change the baby.  He says he'll give him a $ 1,000.00 to do it.  That is the same feeling generated when facing aggravation like loss of signal or coverage, which could be encountered by switching carriers.  It is not worth $ 4.92 a month to me to test it.

marcnoel

Of course, the app and website are currently in maintenance mode, but, if... IF the offerings are the same now as this morning, then there is a $ 19.00 4G plan with 1 GB available to me, and, let us hope, other current subscribers.  If so, could those on the $ 25.00 3G 1 GB plan not switch to it to save $ 6.00?  Is it that they can see how much they are paying, but don't know how to get a better deal?

I think the whole idea behind switching us to Points is to increase revenue.  If they threw us a bone, that would negate the increase somewhat, possibly completely.  If PM takes away $ 5.00 in Rewards, then allows a switch to a $ 5.00 cheaper plan, they got nothing.

I limped along on the $ 15.00 250 MB plan for over two years by turning my data on when necessary.  My plan was free for over two years.  I then switched to the $ 34.00/50 GB plan, then to the $ 25.00/20.  I am losing $ 4.92 a month in discounts, but saving $ 9.00 on the plan.  Granted, if the Rewards were still in effect, I'd be saving even more, but my current plan may not have been offered.  It may be that the reduced price in offerings is meant to off-set the Rewards losses, but we'll never know what might have been.  Perhaps plan prices may not have come down so much if Rewards remained in effect.  Reception, coverage, total expense after 5% back, 10 loyalty points, and any referral points, plus past free service all combine to make it worthwhile to me to stay.

So many people here talk about loyalty to customers who've been with PM all these years, people who must have gotten significant rewards, or there would be no reason to be upset.  Does not the reverse apply?  What about our loyalty to PM, to stay after this switch resulting in an increase, after all the discounts we got?  I have never received a notification from PM saying my plan price was increasing.  My payment increased only if I changed to a more-expensive plan.  When available, I have been able/allowed to switch to a cheaper plan.  If everyone continued to stay on whatever current plan, at the same price, the only increased revenue would be if more customers subscribed.  How many businesses don't raise their prices, expecting to only sell more of something at the same price?  My facility rent has increased from $ 196.00 in 1999 to $ 1,656.00 now - an ~ 746% increase in 25+ years, but the unit size is about 500% bigger, a lot more than I need.  That's a separate issue, but it was all I could find at the time.  My rates have gone up only 460% in all that time.

I saved $ 403.20 (including taxes), minimum, just from the free two years.  I have also saved significantly over the rest of the almost nine years.  I am okay with giving something back.  Who knows what the offerings will be in future?

nomadthinker

Ha! You are a real "half glass full guy". In the end all I am saying is that for the lower tier people, whose plan is not loaded with data, they will be seeing a significant increase in the monthly cost of their plan. Data is really expensive as an add-on to the lower tier plans, in spite of the fact that the amount of data included in the mid range plans has risen significantly. Under normal circumstances Public Mobile is not going to allow everyone access to the "new customer" promotional plans that cell companies use to attract new business, but in this circumstance where the discontinuation of the rewards program is resulting in a significant percentage increase in the monthly charges of the lower tier plans, Public Mobile should have thrown them a bone and allowed those affected access to the "new activation plans" now. There are people on Public Mobile who are not techy at all, and are paying $25 for 1GB of Data on 3G.

marcnoel

There is a remote possibility that PM may have been offering too good a deal with Rewards, and revenue was too low.  I remember one customer commenting years ago about getting a surplus $ 25.00 into his account every month from referrals.  I don't know if PM makes anything on Community contributions from members, but, if not, they are directly losing money by paying Community Rewards.  AutoPay and max. Loyalty Rewards at $ 7.00 on a $ 15.00 plan leaves $ 8.00 to PM.  Granted, $ 1.00 for a referral still nets PM whatever from the referral, minus the buck.  If you have a whole bunch of customers paying little to nothing, how long can you last?

The Quadra Nautilus Club in Victoria underwent an ownership change about 29 years ago.  The new owners started offering one free year's membership for a referral.  One guy had 15 years.  One day, I drove into the parking lot.  It was nearly empty, which was odd.  I got to the front door.  It was locked, and a notice was posted, saying the club was in receivership.  Whoops!  So many people were paying nothing that they couldn't stay open.

When I opened my personal training business in 1999, I started out at $ 10.00 a workout.  I later found out the average in town was $ 50.00, and almost had a heart attack.  It never occurred to me to check around for pricing before I opened up.  Now, 25+ years later, I'm at $ 56.00 (before GST), whereas, the average in town now is $ 65.00, with at least one facility charging $ 75.00.  I started out too low, and can't catch up without exorbitant increases, which I refuse to do.

marcnoel

It could also be said that we already got extra value by staying on Rewards for the 28 months, and are now just coming in line with new subscribers.  We are not having to pay MORE than new customers, unless we are trying to switch plans (in some cases).  PM was doing the "new activations only" thing before the switch announcement, so that aspect applied before the switch.  Not everyone is looking to change their plan because of the switch.  If the $ 25.00/20 GB plan hadn't come along, I probably would have stayed on the $ 34.00/50 GB one, independent of the switch.  It is frustrating that all the plans are not offered to everyone, but, it is better that they offer them later to everyone, vs. not at all.  That happened to me last year with the $ 34.00.  It finally came available a while later, so I snapped it up.

If you think about it, we all have the time between the present and our re-newal date to switch plans.  Most likely, if you find a better plan the day after re-newal, you probably won't switch until re-newal, so that you don't waste the money just paid.  It may be that, by the time some people's plans are about to re-new, the desired plans become available, and they can switch.

nomadthinker

Lol! No, they are not getting the 5GB bonus data, but with the plan I am referencing that I am not allowed to subscribe to, because I am an existing customer, they would be getting 10GB more data than me over that same 150 days.

DownEast

So what?  New customers don't get the bonus data, so come back and think about it sometime over the next 150 days before your bonus runs out.  There have been lots of plans changes over the past several months, so if you see something better take it.

nomadthinker

Your situation is a perfect example of my point. You are on a better plan now data wise and pleased by the final outcome, in spite of the fact that you are losing your rewards discounts. As a service provider, if you take something away from your subscribers, it is always a good practice to provide something in return that would be regarded as equal or better overall value. Gifting 5 Public Points and data that has an expiry date, to those whose bill is increasing for the same plan, has only angered those affected. Public Mobile should have made a special "we value your loyalty plan", that had a similar or slightly higher price, but offered more than the affected subscribers current plan. All that I want is the same choice that someone walking through the door today is being offered.

I'm glad everything worked out well for you. Cheers!

Need Help? Let's chat.