Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,597 REPLIES 5,597

@marcnoel wrote:

We already got an extra 28 months of extra discounts over new customers. 

HI@marcnoel 

most won't feel thanksful for the extra savings they have.   It's normal, when you give them someone once, they want it forever 🙂

marcnoel
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

We already got an extra 28 months of extra discounts over new customers.  We are just now moving in-line with them.  If any legacy customers were referring people to PM during those 28 months, then they must have thought PM was a good choice.  Did anyone choose to NOT refer anyone after Points were introduced because new customers would not get the same discount as Rewards?  If not, then why was it okay to refer people to PM, but now it's not good enough for us?  Check around, and you'll see that other carriers either offer less for the same price, or the same offering for more.  As an example again, my current PM plan is $ 25.00/month for 20 GB, minus $ 2.08 for loyalty and 5% back combined, for a pre-referrals price of $ 22.92, $ 14.92 after eight referrals that appear to still be around.  It's not as good a deal as it was, but it's still the best out there, at least for this plan.

If there are 20 gas stations in town, and they all raise their prices to varying extents, we may seek out the cheapest one, which may still be more expensive than before, but cheaper than others currently.  Nothing can be done about what's happened.   Complaining will get one nowhere, as PM was allowed to do it.  Leaving won't hurt them, but will hurt the customer who has to pay more out of spite, even though they just said they can't afford the PM increase.  If that's the case, how can they afford to switch, aside from going to a lower-priced plan?

danielj
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi @hTideGnow 

Yeah, overall gift cards will likely not make a significant difference to me, that will not make me nessarily happy or unhappy with PM but likely undifferent.

I will overall use, take advantage and enjoy what ever points PM gives us and will look forward to what ever enhancement are to come.

But it does not mean I will not call PM out for forcing all clients onto the rewards system that is currently structured to give the majority of clients fewer points and value overall. With the promise of enhancement, that so for has had weak to none existing communication of what those enhancements will be. Overall, the majority of what PM does will not make everybody happy or unhappy, that is true. But this overall situration has made the vast majority of PM's clients unhappy.

I do look forward to hear confirmation of what the enhancements will be and do hope with will include changes that will provide client points closer to the value that we where previously getting.

DownEast
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

That’s a good analogy, but PM followed the contract terms with you and provided more than the requisite notice, so no severance or other compensation is required.

marcnoel

You will get 5% in Points back from your payment, and 10 Points on your anniversary date.  If you're on a $ 15.00 plan, you will get .75 Points back per month.  Add to that .83 Points average per month for loyalty, equals $ 1.58 per month.  Subtract that from $ 15.00, and your average plan price is $ 13.42.

marcnoel

Assuming $ 15.00 is the lowest-priced plan, maximum loss is $ 5.42/month, averaged over a year.  With taxes, approximately 20¢ a day.  Only way it could be more is if a subscriber loses some referrals because of the switch.

Ausgirl1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I started at $15/month and was down to $10 + tax. Just got my first bill and it’s back to $15+tax. So we lose any benefit for being long time customer. Some “deal”. We should have been given an option to keep our old plan.

funpig1

I compare the termination of the legacy awards to wrongful dismissal of employment.

In both situations, there is a termination of a relationship. In both cases, there should be reasonable notice given and a form of severance or compensation in lieu of reasonable notice.  The longer the relationship, the longer the notice should be or more compensation in lieu of notice.

PM appeared to recognize this obligation by offering the $1 per month as a severance package for existing legacy reward customers.

PM misled all legacy rewards customers to believe that PM could not or would not terminate the rewards relationship unless the customer willingly chose to accept the severance compensation. Many legacy customers did the math and decided that it would be better to remain in the legacy rewards relationship. 

IMO, PM should have given all existing legacy customers reasonable notice that PM was going to withdraw the $1 per month severance and proceed with the termination of the legacy rewards relationship whether a customer agreed or not. This would have given all existing customers a chance to accept the severance and mutually terminate legacy rewards relationship.

Instead, without any reasonable notice, PM terminated the $1 per month loyalty compensation and abruptly announced that the the legacy rewards relationship would be terminated unilaterally by PM.

Many customers were caught by surprise and are rightfully aggrieved.  At its worse, this was bad faith on the part of PM. At the very least, it was bad marketing.

nicknamessuck

I have a prepay phone plan instead of automatic billing and as a result I received a text message from Pubic Mobile that partway through says "Starting in June, the amount you will need to add to your account may vary from previos months. To avoid service disruptions, we recommend visiting My Account online or the app to check your estimated upcoming payment amount and make sure you have enough funds for a successful payment."

Translated from corporate speak to english it means "We are taking away your loyalty discount and since your prepay and not automatic top up your going to notice the price increase immediately and we hope your going to just spend more money and not leave to find a better provider even though we are literally killing off our customer loyalty rewards program."

RNk6xib2

@Community_QA_ wrote:

The number didn't drop at all this year, it maintains close to  5500 activations per month.  And this month and they are going to finish with the most activations in recent history, going to break 6000 activations

Soooooo, the reason they forced me onto new point system is what?? If they're getting 5500 activations per month do they REALLY need my $10/30 days or can they just let me rot away in my little $5/30day corner?

Anyway, I'm on freedom now, just logged in one last time to check out the comments and try and close my community account. byee

marcnoel

Thanks for this.

Something to consider is - if the introduction of Points turned out to be a mistake, one would think that it would have shown up in the 28 months before the switch.  If so, then PM probably would have revised or gotten rid of it.  As per the info you posted, obviously, newcomers thought Points were good enough, combined with plan offerings.

So now, those of us who were on Rewards, are in-line with new customers.  Personally, I'm glad I got 28 months of extra discounts by remaining on Rewards, but now, the extra is gone, and now it's just regular discounting.  It was a privilege, not a right, as evidenced by the CCTS saying that PM was within their rights to change things.  It is prudent to keep in mind this sort of thing in future, regardless of the product or service, knowing that the seller may change things.  Accepting that enables you to take advantage of whatever current pricing they offer.  What's the alternative?  To never buy anything from anyone again, in case they change things in future?

Jenvin1

Great. I am happy it worked for you as well 

Community_QA_

This thread die down a lot since last time I logged in.  Probably those who are extremely angry have left, those angry but not quite are in the hold and see mode and not going to contribute more

I know many have left or convinced others to leave and hope to give pressure to Public Mobile.  I have discussed why PM decided to pull the trigger this year and why it actually the right timing for Telus.   

Today, I just want to come back with some facts, good news for PM but sad news for those who thought they could push PM.  PM has been doing better than ever in this year with new activations, especially in the last 3 months.  The increase is largely to the widely popular Canada/US plan as well as the reasonable mid range plan (like $29/40GB)

Last year, before summer, Public Mobile only managed to have around 2000-2500 new activations per month.  But the brand turn around during summer months with the introduction of VoLTE and eSIM.   July to Sept was around 4000 new activations per month

Thanksgiving and Christmas (Nov and Dec) had around 5000 activations per month

The number didn't drop at all this year, it maintains close to  5500 activations per month.  And this month and they are going to finish with the most activations in recent history, going to break 6000 activations

Sorry, i don't have the number to the account cancellations.  Those are harder to get.  But with a solid 16000+ activations since announcing the end of the legacy reward, it is hard to believe the "mass" cancellation would be anywhere close to that number at all 

So, those were winning months for PM. 

maurelle

@jhhead wrote:

Thanks for sharing. I had replied YES 5 days ago and was waiting for something to show up. Here is screenshots confirming that those on the $15 plan offer to the $21 3GB 4G plan will get the option to change to $57 ($19/month) 90 day plan 😎

1000010194.png

 After pressing and confirming the 90 day subscription:

1000010195.png

Thank you for sharing this.

I think it's worth noting that this is only available in the app, and only if the plan change confirmation actually shows up in your account.* Anyone like me, who exclusively logs in through the browser on laptop / desktop for whatever reason, are missing out on the 90day option if they got the text offer and simply replied YES.

* Yes, replying yes to the text offer is no guarantee that you actually get the confirmation in the account. Meaning that account holder doesn't have a leg to stand on with the CSA if the change fails.

@rogue17a wrote:

Same happened to me, Now paying $28.25. Time to jump ship

@rogue17a 

Are you on the $25  1GB 3G plan?  

If so, you may want to look at switching to the unadvertised new $19 plan for 1 GB LTE data available to existing PM customers.  It is available to existing customers in their self service account.  Then your price would be similar to before with legacy rewards (ie. autopay and loyalty)

Nandi77

Time to say buy to here and join with better service with same price.

rogue17a

Same happened to me, Now paying $28.25. Time to jump ship

marcnoel

Good stuff!

xw007

same here, I used to have $8 credit on each payment which converts to 7.25 point per payment now. And cannot use the points until it accumulates to 15 points! 

marcnoel

I don't think you can compare the two plans, regarding payment amount.

Separately, if you WERE paying $ 5.00 on a $ 15.00 plan, then it seems you had three referrals and/or Community.  Assuming referrals,  they should show up.  Mine did just before my plan re-newed five days ago.  Add into that. 75 Points for 5% back, and .83 Points per month for loyalty, and you have an average of $ 4.58 per month in Points, bringing your plan price down to $ 10.52.  Yes, it's higher than before, but probably cheaper than what else is out there, where you would have to start at the beginning.

jhhead
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Thanks for sharing. I had replied YES 5 days ago and was waiting for something to show up. Here is screenshots confirming that those on the $15 plan offer to the $21 3GB 4G plan will get the option to change to $57 ($19/month) 90 day plan 😎

1000010194.png

 After pressing and confirming the 90 day subscription:

1000010195.png

marcnoel

Thanks.  I didn't mean you to clarify, but PM to clarify that 90 days was an option when sending out the offer, so that a person would know immediately, vs. having to accept the offer, and take a chance that 90 days is available.

Jenvin1

Not sure what you want me to clarify.  I received an offer via text for a 3gb 4G plan for $21/month.  There was no  option to chose the 90 days plan at $57 in that text (like it is offered to new customers).  I took a chance and said YES and after 3 days the new plan showed up in my account as upcoming plan with a 90 days plan option and 9gb data.

Like I said before, this offer is perhaps sent out to only existing customers with $15 plans.  PM will never make offer if a plan is a downgrade from your current plan.  Why they would?  It does not make any business sense.

I hope this clarifies your question.

marcnoel

I just realized that, if you're on a 90-day plan that gives you all the data up-front, it's kind of like rollover data.  For example, you could get 20 per month, use 3, and lose 17 after 30 days, but, if you have access to the entirety for 90 days, then, after 3 used in the first 30 days, you'd still have 57 left for 60 days.  Granted you lose any remainder when the plan re-news, but still better than losing the balance every month.  Every day that goes by without average expected use means more left over for later.

Radiant1

Emphasis on the: “subject to change “….

marcnoel

pmugh.pngThis is what RNk6xib2 posted earlier, the response from CCTS.

NUY

Hello, I have two numbers with Public Mobile and my price was $19 and $22, but since March $28.25 for each number.Please do the price adjustment ASAP.Thank you

G_Pomzz

You can file a complaint with the CCTS. That's what a lot of us are doing who saw their monthly payment increase.

Radiant1

Still waiting to see the referral discounts to show up, since my renewal was May 20. PM charged me full price with no discounts. With this gone, and loyalty bonus gone, there is really nothing holding me back from trying other providers. At least I have the ‘Freedom’ to do this… pardon the double entente. 😉

AlienRenders

So I used to be on the $8 plan and was paying $2/month. They removed it and I was grandfathered in. But decided to switch to the $15 plan because I like unlimited text. I was paying $5/month. Now I'm paying $15/month. My bill is now triple what it used to be. WTF? And it's 7.5x what I was paying under the older plan.

Need Help? Let's chat.