Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,596 REPLIES 5,596

About2Leave
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I decided to wait and see this month's bill before I port out, and yeah, I'm as disappointed as I thought.

cdhollis1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

The new Public Points™ program sucks!  I now only receive $0.75 in points per month whereas I was receiving $7.00 in discounts with the old rewards program.  So much for loyalty.

hi @marcnoel 

yes, there were quiet some posta with some sour taste upsetting why people pay $15 get a 44% saving while those on $40 plans get 18% saving only. PM clearly listen and offer a fairer deal this time, 5% saving across the board and "buy" more save more approach 

I like you pointed out that no carrier ever ask it's customers if they can raise price.  It is interesting many offer their plans what PM should do to make the legacy rewards customers happier.  However, none of those mange to include the numbers to show Telus shareholders how those customers suggested plans make any financial sense

hi @danielj 

you don't see gift card as an enhancement but it is true some asked for that before.  The is a classic example that no matter what PM does, not everyone will be happy

Enjoy what points give you and hope PM will introduce more ways to use the points to save

marcnoel
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

20240526_132849.jpg

I see.

I think it's 3 GB every 30 days, though.

BestNickname
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If you get a plan that costs you $21 per 30 days and give you 3GB of data every 90 days, that's more expensive than a plan that's $25 per 30 days with 1GB of data every 30 days, if you have the old rewards program, auto pay, and have been around for at least 3 years.

marcnoel

What is more expensive?  I can't tell to what you're referring.

@Bottomshelf wrote:

Hi, Hope everyone is doing well.

My spouse's plan was 1 gb with unlimited Canada wide minutes and texts

I just looked at my spouse's account and she will now be paying $28 ($25 plus 12%).  The last bill was $22.40.  As it stands, will be paying $67.20 per year before considering 5% and 10 anniversary points or net $42.20 increase.

I was looking to change the subscription to the $19 per month plan - 90 day subscription with increased 3 gb data and on second look the plan is for only new activations.  Has anyone tried to get the 90 day $19 plan via a customer request even though it says only for new activations?  It's not fair for the old customers who were on the old plan; but then again who said life was fair.

I don't understand why PM is making these marketing blunders.

@Bottomshelf 

Some customers have been able to successfully ask customer service agent to get the new activation plans, while others have not.  

In your situation, less likely, since you are downgrading your plan from $25 to potentially $19.  You can try if you wanted, but unlikely.  

However, if one GB/month is enough for your wife, there is an option to choose a $19/month for 1GB for existing customers.  It is not marketed on the website, but in your self service account, you should be able to see this plan.  That would lower your total costs to about the same as before.  It is also LTE data (versus 3G for old grandfathered $25 plan). 

BestNickname

You should complain to Public Mobile via DM to customer service agent and the CCTS https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/for-consumers/complaints/complaint-form/

Mobile companies shouldn't be allowed to treat their companies like this

BestNickname

The funny thing is, after rewards, that's STILL more expensive than their old $25 1GB per month plan.

funpig1

@Bottomshelf  I downgraded to $15 plan and submitted a ticket and private message asking if I could switch to the $21 4G 3GB plan. It has been 17 days, no response. Some people have received a text offer inviting them to switch.  Good luck.

marcnoel

It may be that the 90-day 3 GB plan will be made available to existing customers in a while, as has happened in the past.

marcnoel

Good for you.

Yeah, my wife and I were both on the $ 34.00/50 GB plus unlimited throttled plans, but weren't using much data.  The $ 29.00/20 GB plan came along, with a 90-day option for $ 25.00 a month.  $ 9.00 less, and 20 times the data of the previous $ 25.00/1 GB plan.  Add into this 5% back, 10 points each year, and any referrals that I may still have after the switch, and it's a dealy-wealy.  Only other carrier offering 20 GB for $ 25.00 (no $ discounts until $ 900.00 spent) is Fizz, and my phone is too old to work on its network.

Bottomshelf

Hi, Hope everyone is doing well.

My spouse's plan was 1 gb with unlimited Canada wide minutes and texts

I just looked at my spouse's account and she will now be paying $28 ($25 plus 12%).  The last bill was $22.40.  As it stands, will be paying $67.20 per year before considering 5% and 10 anniversary points or net $42.20 increase.

I was looking to change the subscription to the $19 per month plan - 90 day subscription with increased 3 gb data and on second look the plan is for only new activations.  Has anyone tried to get the 90 day $19 plan via a customer request even though it says only for new activations?  It's not fair for the old customers who were on the old plan; but then again who said life was fair.

I don't understand why PM is making these marketing blunders.

jhhead
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I decided to say YES because for $2 more on top of the $19 plan I'll get 3x the data. With 1GB data I find myself not using my phone when off wifi because I'm concerned I'll run out of data. For peace of mind I'm gonna go forward with this one and then once it renews hopefully the option to choose the 90 day option is available 🤞

(Either way I must say all these current options are much better then the $25 for 1GB data at 3G speeds I had a couple months ago. Now we have plans that are 4G speeds and more data for a less cost. So for that I'm grateful 😊)

marcnoel

You're welcome.

If that's the case, you SHOULD be able to cancel the subscription change before it occurs, if you don't like the offering.  It would be different if it said it would be effective immediately.

In my case, if I see a better deal, I select change on re-newal, then, if an even better deal comes along before the switch, I select that one.  Kind of like two steps forward, one step back.

Jenvin1

@saturna and @marccnoel, 

Thank you both for comments.  The text does say if I say YES now, it will be effective at next renewal which is 25 days from now.  I would probably say yes if I could have the option to choose $19/month on 90 days subscription.  Otherwise no.  There is no way of knowing such an option will be available at renewal date.  Right now this plan is offered for new activations only.

danielj
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi @hTideGnow,

I for one do not think a using my "reward dollars" on purchasing a Public Mobile raffle ticket for a refubished phone is an enhancement at all. 

If Telus or Koodo gift card might have some transfer to one of the sister companies if I think they will have any better overall service there.

In the current global systems at play people are faily dependent on having a cell phone. So cash saving on a reduce bill, might have some people some more cash flow to utilize else where like there mortgage unlike a gift card.

I do not consider gift cards or contests/raffles that utilize our rewards points/dollars as enhancements.

Hopefully they bring some actual enhancements and start announcing them soon.

danielj
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

The "Welcome Present" or conversion points use to be reflective of how long we have been with Public Mobile. When being forced to switch the did not leave that in. Would of been significantly more the $5 they gave. The extra points were taken away with bonus data that will expire well  before I can use it was provided. Did not even get to choose when the 150 day would start.

And no back dating of the happy annaversity points or clarifcation from Public Mobile for when they consider that to be.

From $10 of rewards back each month to $4.70 with assumption that around Feb will be $10 additionally. With rewards not being applied to account automatically giving them the time value of money. All clearly a cash grab.

And so for no clear official updates or news from Public Mobile of the planed ehancements to the program appear to have been announced.

It is clear that the vast majority of customer are upset with these changes. This loyalty conversion process is very disappointing. Hopefully Public Mobile listens to use and use the enhancement option to bring some of the features of the previous program.

Yesmil8

Now that you mention it, I realized I used to complaint about that business practice from financial institutions. They never give bonuses to existing loyal clients but offer "rebates" and electronics to new clients

Yesmil8

I had same issue and I did not know why, until I read your post now.

marcnoel

I see.  That's why I said "if allowed", as I didn't know if it would apply.  I don't think I have used that option before, so I don't have a basis for comparison.  Thank you.

saturna

@marcnoel wrote:

You could grab it now to change on your re-newal date (if allowed), then cancel the change if the deal you want doesn't come up by your re-newal date.

Since the accepted text promo is not showing up in "my account" there's not only no way to know if the plan change will actually happen on your renewal (plus you don't have prove that you actually accepted the offer), you can also not change your mind and cancel it like you can with a plan change at next renewal that you pick in your account.

marcnoel

You could grab it now to change on your re-newal date (if allowed), then cancel the change if the deal you want doesn't come up by your re-newal date.

Jenvin1

I got a similar offer from PM.  Apart from $21 for 3GB data, there are no other details of the plan including details about talk and text.  Not sure if I say YES now there is any way to revert back to my current plan if there is no option of $19 for 90 days subscription to choose.

Jenvin1

There was a typo in my previous post that suggested I will still be staying with PM after losing all the current discounts.  My post should have actually read "I am NOW looking to switch to another provider".   Any suggestions from other community members?  Thank you.

marcnoel

If I recall correctly, several years ago, some people were complaining that the discounts were the same whether you were on a $ 15.00 or $ 60.00 plan.  $ 15.00 off $ 15.00 is a 100% discount, but only 25% off a $ 60.00 plan.  That would be like paying more per unit for a value-size item, instead of less.  If that were the case, there'd be no incentive to buy the larger size.  PM was actually promoting their cheapest plans, instead of more-expensive ones.  I used it to my own advantage, hoping that I could manage on the $ 15.00 plan, so I could get maximum percentage discount.  This may be part of the reasoning for eliminating Rewards.  Aside from 5% back now, subscribers on lower-priced plans will still get a higher-percentage discount, as everything else is still dollar-based.

Separately, I don't know of any instance where a company asks customers if they will accept a price increase before raising them.  Gas prices bounce around like ping-pong balls in a running dryer, and it's take it or leave it.  Banks raise interest rates, regardless of whether we can still afford our mortgage payment.

Regarding rewarding long-term customers for their loyalty, I think they already did, by allowing us to stay on Rewards for an additional 28 months.  They could have forced us over at the start.  Keep in mind if a bunch of subscribers are paying little to nothing, what's PM getting out of it?  If a person is on a $ 15.00 plan, and gets $ 15.00 in Rewards (including $ 8.00 in referrals), PM gets nothing.  If the customer leaves, PM loses nothing, and a new customer will not be given those identical Rewards instead, so it may actually be their reasoning to drive away low-end users.

marcnoel

20240524_213523.jpg

20240524_213601.jpg

20240524_213632.jpg

 Examples of what some other carriers' Terms say.

thanks @jhhead 

thanks for your sharing

jhhead

Looks like I just got a similar message others had got...

Dear <my name> and Public Mobile,

On May 2, 2024,  Public Mobile objected to <my name> complaint because Public Mobile believes that we did not have the authority to accept the complaint under our Procedural Code. After reviewing the complaint and objection, 
The Objection 

Public Mobile has objected to the customer's complaint further to section 4.3 of the CCTS Procedural Code on the basis that the customer's complaint relates to an upcoming change to their existing rewards program. Public Mobile's objection states that the upcoming change was announced to their customers with a notice sent 30 days before the upcoming change. To demonstrate their position, Public Mobile provided the CCTS with screen captures of the notice sent to their customers.

Our Assessment 
We examined the customer's complaint and Public Mobile's objection to the complaint.

Section 4.3 of the CCTS Procedural Code states that The Commissioner may not direct or require a Participating Service Provider to change any of their policies or practices. Additionally, pricing of products or services fall outside the Commissioner's scope. As your complaint pertains to an increase to your monthly bills charged, the CCTS confirms that your complaint falls within the scope of the CCTS.

The CCTS cannot accept objections that are based on the merits of the complaint, and such objections will be rejected. A "merit-based objection" is an objection in which the PSP asserts that the complaint should not be accepted by the CCTS because the PSP is allowed to do the action that the customer complained about.

Additionally, The CCTS does not consider the following matters as "pricing of products and service": billing disputes, contract disputes or changes, price changes, additional charges, and removal of promotional discounts.  For this reason, we are rejecting the objection as your complaint meets the requirement set out by the procedural code.

Sincerely,

CCTS Assessment Team

Need Help? Let's chat.