Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,595 REPLIES 5,595

marcnoel
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Granted, the lowest-price plans will be hit hardest, and PM could have done things better, but there's nothing we can do about it now, and it's still a better deal than elsewhere, price-wise.

It may be that even better deals are coming to PM, like the $ 25.00/20 GB plan I got, but, if people jump ship because they're mad, they might lose out on the deals, because they lost any referral discounts.  The other discounts would be resumed if they left and came back.

I don't like it any more than anybody else.  I would have preferred to keep that extra $ 4.92 discount per month, but if I had left because I was mad, I wouldn't have gotten the deal I have now, which, independent of discounts, is $ 9.00 less than what I had before.  It could be said that I'm actually $ 4.08 ahead of the game.

nomadthinker
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My whole point was, and still is, that those with longest tenure here will have, through the loss of the old rewards plan, have a price increase on their monthly amount owing, regardless of which plan they subscribe to. The customers in the lower tier plans will see the most dramatic percentage price increase. You tell me that "new activations only" plans will probably (not guaranteed) be offered later to existing subscribers, is hardly any compensation for a price increase that will actually be happening with certainty. Don't you get it, that the people here who are the most enraged, are the one's who are on the lower tier plans, and are most affected? Public Mobile should have, at least, allowed them access now to all the plans that someone who just walked through the door is being offered, as compensation for the monthly price increase that is about to happen.

Sub-1515
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

What good is bonus data if you already have more data than you can use per/month anyways.
Some people also have unlimited data after their 5G data allotment is used up.

USELESS!

Sub-1515

Very disappointing!
People should complain to the CRTC and the Ombudsman.
This is truly a corrupt Corporate move.
I have no problem with their right to change things, but the government should force them

to honor their contract with the people who stuck with them and made them grow.
It's only a matter of time till someone else steals their loyalty plan and they will be a mass exit from Public.

marcnoel

Sorry, I didn't know.  Can't tell sarcasm in print.  Thanks for clarifying.

marcnoel

All you said about current cell phone offerings also applies to some of PM's plans.  If that's the case, then why are you complaining?  The offerings are cheaper now.  You've had a 28-month grace period where you got extra discounts, in comparison to Points.  The terms have said they can change things whenever they like every time your plan re-newed.  The Points were introduced to eventually replace Rewards, though it wasn't said at the time, but it was a hint.

Also, please see my later post about the current offerings from other carriers.  PM is still a better deal than the others, at least for me.

Once again, as has been said multiple times in the past, the "new activations only" plans will probably (not guaranteed) be offered later to existing subscribers.

marcnoel

Here you go.  These are the current offerings in BC.  They are the cheapest plans (with data) from Bell, Rogers, Telus, Fido, and Koodo.  I can't access Virgin's site.  The rest are either what is available for $ 25.00, or the closest price over that.  There are some cheaper plans, but they are significantly lower in data.

Bell - $ 30.00/5 or 10 GB (I can't tell if the 5 GB bonus to which they refer is in addition to the 5 GB listed.)

Virgin - inaccessible 

Lucky - $ 25.00/1.5 GB

Rogers - $ 65.00/75 GB

Fido - $ 37.50/2 GB

Chatr - $ 25.00/1 GB

Telus - $ 60.00/75 GB

Koodo - $ 35.00/3 GB

PM - < $ 25.00/20 GB, with discounts (for me)

Fizz - $ 25.00/20 GB

Freedom - $ 29.00/20 GB

PC Mobile - $ 29.00/25 GB

No Name - $ 29.00/30 GB

Separate from these prices are any perks like extra or rollover data, or $ discounts.  In my case, I don't need more data, or US calling/data, and, if all eight of my referrals have stayed (currently unknown), then, with 5% back and 10 anniversary points, my average monthly cost will be $ 14.92 for 20 GB.  $ 4.92 more than with Rewards, but, as you can see, still cheaper than the other offerings.

Fizz won't work for my current phone, and I am not being forced to use my new phone, so Fizz is out.  Freedom may have coverage/reception issues, same with Bell/Virgin/Lucky, so those are out, as I'm unwilling to risk it.  I don't need the hassle of having to switch AGAIN; meanwhile, I'm out of commission until further notice.  Everything else is more expensive, or offers less for $ 25.00.

nomadthinker

You ask "How many goods and services have NOT increased in price over time" is not a valid statement in regards to cell phone plans. Cell phone plans offered now by all carriers are faster, less expensive, and include far larger amounts of data than anything offered in the past. The loss of rewards discounts stinks, and the management of it has been incompetent. These clowns who manage Public Mobile should have allowed the longest loyal customers the opportunity , to at least, choose as compensation, ANY phone plan CURRENTLY available from PUBLIC MOBILE that would best suit their needs.

Joe_G
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@marcnoel wrote:

What does it accomplish to complain about lower past pricing?  Grandfathering in occurs in many instances.  We all have to start somewhere.  You can't be an early-adopter in everything.  If people are unable to get a previously offered better deal, are they supposed to not get anything?  We can only take advantage of what's currently available, not what used to be.  This is like saying a company should never raise its prices, so that future customers can still get the old rates.  What business has the same prices now as 20 years ago?

I was being sarcastic. I don't really think the new people should be complaining. But I think the rest of your post is making the same point I was trying to make.

marcnoel

The new activations will probably be offered to existing customers at a later date, as past experience has shown.  Also, if they allowed us to get equivalent discounts with the switch, what would be the point in switching us?  They would go to all that trouble for 0 increase in revenue.  We got a 28-month grace period, and saved money during that time.  They were intending to switch everyone over eventually, by the fact they introduced Points in the first place.  They probably didn't say anything at that time because they figured they would drive some people away.

How many goods and services have NOT increased in price over time?

nomadthinker

Re you kidding? The new customers are being lured to Public Mobile with a $19 3GB 4G plan that the long time loyal customers, are not allowed access to.

marcnoel

What does it accomplish to complain about lower past pricing?  Grandfathering in occurs in many instances.  We all have to start somewhere.  You can't be an early-adopter in everything.  If people are unable to get a previously offered better deal, are they supposed to not get anything?  We can only take advantage of what's currently available, not what used to be.  This is like saying a company should never raise its prices, so that future customers can still get the old rates.  What business has the same prices now as 20 years ago?

Joe_G
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@dacdoter1 wrote:

It takes some guts for some of the newer customers on here to be posting for people to stop complaining, just because they aren't experiencing the loss, and are jealous that we were being rewarded in perpituity for being early adopters, which in fact did earn our business in the first place.

This argument could be turned around. It is the new people who should be complaining because they never had the opportunity to enjoy all the rewards and savings that the early adopters have enjoyed all those years.

dacdoter1

@HALIMACS wrote:

come on folks – we all know the change sucks for a loyal customers and no real need to debate the point.

Most of us are losing at least $60 per year in rewards earned.

(Annually:  $60 down to $10 loyalty, then about $5-$15 less re auto pay vs 5%)

Just wanted to quote this because it sums up the cost to the longest, most loyal customers very nicely.  This is absolutely correct, and indeed there is no arguing it. 

It takes some guts for some of the newer customers on here to be posting for people to stop complaining, just because they aren't experiencing the loss, and are jealous that we were being rewarded in perpituity for being early adopters, which in fact did earn our business in the first place.

HI @HALIMACS 

I wouldn't say market is corporate lying

Sometimes, customers themselves have the responsibility too.  They signed up for price, they don't read if any conditions attached    When things not going the way they "think" it should be, they blame corporate greed.   They thought making complaints here and there would help .  Most of them won't admit it was their fault for not read and understand the terms

dacdoter1

The kick in the teeth is that PM was a market leader for low-data users, i.e. budget-conscious shoppers who were willing to go with less to save money.  So if you're ok using low amounts of data, then sure, that 5GB "apology bonus" they gave us sounds like a lot, and a nice gesture to ease the pain of taking away the good rewards program that saved us lots of money.

But it's a real jerk move to put a time limit on it.  I still have a 2GB and 1GB no-expiry bonus lump sum from like 2 Christmases ago - and I just checked, if I use data now it comes out of those first, not the 5GB with expiry date.  So I have zero chance to ever make use of that 5G since they started the clock way back when they made this announcement, and I choose to only use data on wifi except in rare cases, saving it until it is needed.

So, a useless insult instead of a gift.  I will be filing a formal complaint.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Marketing is a smoother way saying corporate lying.

Even company execs didn’t really know that’s what “marketing” meant when they allocated that much funds toward marketing departments.

They were led to believe it was simply a way for company to legitimately make money and entice customers.

In reality, they’re just overpaid hustlers.

Yup, you get the lawyers to take it on, and I’ll look for their PSA to get participants.

hi @Charlies717 if you have the money, fo ahead and seek legal advise 

But this announcement has been out for 2 months, if there is any chance, I would think the lawyers would have jumped on it already 🙂

Charlies717

Can we start a class action lawsuit?

Charlies717

But all of those years of earning rewards that used to apply as a monthly credit to reduce the monthly bill are no longer given to the customer. How is that fair? PM promised that as long as you stay with them, those rewards would never disappear. Now, that promise is broken!

marcnoel

Independent of accuracy, at least it would be a reminder to check points.

So, everyone that joined PM on Points only over the past 28 months has been done dirty, is that correct?

DownEast

No, there’s no going back.  Their only commitment was to give you 30 days notice of a change, not to keep the old program forever.

maurelle

@marcnoel wrote:

For those concerned about having to monitor their accounts to see how many Points they have and get, there is no need.  PM sends out e-mails showing Points summary.  I have been getting them for months, even though I was on Rewards until two weeks ago.  I think it will be less arduous to check an e-mail, vs. having to deliberately go into your account, then navigate to the Points page, only to find nothing's changed since the last time you checked.

Like other types of notifications from Public Mobile (data usage warnings spring to mind), those e-mailed statements are not necessarily accurate.

I know that some people don't like it, but Isay it again: Public Mobile is doing their best to make the user experience with the points system as bad as they possibly can, in the hopes that people don't bother or forget about redeeming points. They will devalue the points soon enough as well. 

ifeedbirds_ca

It's okay, thousands of us are filing CCTS complaints as we speak. Lure us in for years with a Loyalty program then when we achieve it they take it away? ]=

hi @BestNickname sorry, you cannot. The old rewards system is now gone and we have to just enjoy what we have.  The points are not earning as fast, but we are still getting some savings while most other carriers don't offer any

BestNickname

This new program is much worse than the old program. Can I keep the old rewards program? Wasn't this promised to me when I signed up for this service?

marcnoel

For those concerned about having to monitor their accounts to see how many Points they have and get, there is no need.  PM sends out e-mails showing Points summary.  I have been getting them for months, even though I was on Rewards until two weeks ago.  I think it will be less arduous to check an e-mail, vs. having to deliberately go into your account, then navigate to the Points page, only to find nothing's changed since the last time you checked.

sukha

I agree, this new system does not seem worth it. Were you able to find an equivalent deal on this new system?

Need Help? Let's chat.