Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,597 REPLIES 5,597

RetiredGuy1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@kb_mv  I think we both must be missing something as I noticed that too! $200? Insane!

@RetiredGuy1 wrote:

@Luddite 

Well, ideally PM would offer an annual plan which matches FM’s $149 4G 30GB annual plan which works out to about $14 a month (tax in) for 2.5 GB a month. Of course, we both know thats not going to happen. What would have been more realistic for me to at least consider staying would have been the 4G 4GB plan when it was $24 monthly (effectively $22 after consideration of the points) AND if it was available to me as an existing customer, which its not.

Of course, if you have a personal connection with Darren E. then feel free to DM me anytime within the next 6 weeks 😂

@RetiredGuy1 When the $26 plan came out and I posted it as new, I could have sworn it was available for everyone. I wonder how long that lasted?

RetiredGuy1

@Luddite 

Well, ideally PM would offer an annual plan which matches FM’s $149 4G 30GB annual plan which works out to about $14 a month (tax in) for 2.5 GB a month. Of course, we both know thats not going to happen. What would have been more realistic for me to at least consider staying would have been the 4G 4GB plan when it was $24 monthly (effectively $22 after consideration of the points) AND if it was available to me as an existing customer, which its not.

Of course, if you have a personal connection with Darren E. then feel free to DM me anytime within the next 6 weeks 😂

@RetiredGuy1    Unfortunate decision but, yep, hardly surprising either. 

Just a reminder to everyone porting out over the next few weeks/months to contact support and have any payment card removed from the account before it becomes inactive as PM/Telus doesn't permit us to remove it ourselves. 

@RetiredGuy1 wrote:

Agreed and this article helps put the subject matter into perspective:

https://cansumer.ca/canada-phone-plan-pricing/#comparison

@RetiredGuy1 It's interesting that the article (last August) claims the average cost of a cell plan in Canada for 10-49GB of data is $205.78! I have 50GB Can-US for $34 I was on a 75GB Can-US for $40. Who pays $200? I don't see any of the totals in the article as being close to any prices I see from any of the providers. Am I missing something?

@RetiredGuy1 "At the same time, there is still a few weeks to keep an eye on what might become available"

What would be the ideal plan and price for you to stay?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

RetiredGuy1

@HALIMACS 

Just to ensure we’re on the same page - the CCTS did accept my complaint based on how I chose to word it. The email I received today is the one everybody whose complaint was accepted has been waiting for. If I’m not understanding what you’re saying, I apologize for any confusion. 

RetiredGuy1

@Luddite wrote:

Soooo, the only cure is to jump ship. It's a reasonable answer to the aggravation Telus' has caused the $ rewards customers, but only if the cost is acceptable and you've spent all your points. In exploring alternatives be sure to confirm your number can be ported, and if there are any account activation/SIM fees. 
Happy hunting. 

@Luddite  I don’t disagree with what you’re saying but I only stated I was disappointed. I’m still undecided on what I will do come May. I’m leaning towards Freedom but I have some concerns with coverage so I need to do more research before I consider jumping ship (in that direction at least). At the same time, there is still a few weeks to keep an eye on what might become available.

RetiredGuy1

@jimbobs2023 wrote:

@G_Pomzz wrote:

@Yatti4201 said;   We pay the higest telco costs in the world for a reason. 

More fake news... There are at least 21 countries with higher average cost than Canada.

Splitting hairs? Canada is by far the most expensive country for mobile services among comparable countries.

@jimbobs2023 

Agreed and this article helps put the subject matter into perspective:

https://cansumer.ca/canada-phone-plan-pricing/#comparison

@RetiredGuy1 

I would submit the reason may be because they treat each and every complaint on the merits of the individual complaint itself.

So, if a customer is approaching them calling it a billing issue, they may proceed, but if they are contacting them with a preponderance of information regarding reward programs, they may not.

So users probably have to be very selective and creative in their wording to get their attention.

Soooo, the only cure is to jump ship. It's a reasonable answer to the aggravation Telus' has caused the $ rewards customers, but only if the cost is acceptable and you've spent all your points. In exploring alternatives be sure to confirm your number can be ported, and if there are any account activation/SIM fees. 
Happy hunting. 

istockphoto-1428668891-1024x1024.jpg

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

jimbobs2023
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

PM's objection to my complaint was refused.

Between CCTS mandate, the wording of the customer complaint to the CCTS and PM's response to that, there are plenty of loopholes, some to the customer's advantage, some to PM's advantage.  Without looking at all of the documentation involved, it's difficult to make generalisms.  In my complaint, I emphasized, repeatedly, the dramatic price increase I'd face as well as the lack of detail provided for my situation. In particular, PM has never provided an explanation of how many reward points I'll receive on May and how many I'll receive monthly, if I stay on my current plan (I have an idea about both but they've never said).

It also occurs to me that the removal of the automatic rewards is something that PM has ignored and downplayed.  For many, that's a huge benefit.  Having to check your account on a monthly basis and then manually select a benefit for a subsequent billing period is a significant inconvenience.

RetiredGuy1

@HALIMACS 

Interesting indeed. The CCTS emailed me previously that they accepted my complaint and would notify PM. PM responded to the CCTS (and myself) stating they objected to my complaint on a procedural basis (Section 4.3 of the CCTS Procedural Code). Now, CCTS is stating they’ve reviewed the matter and is siding with PM. I don’t see how the CCTS decision wouldn’t be consistent in all cases?

Matty1234

After reviewing the complaint and objection, we are rejecting the objection. The complaint remains open for the reasons explained below.

The deadline for Public Mobile to respond is April 29, 2024. Future communications should be directed to the CCTS 

The Objection 

Public Mobile has objected to the customer's complaint further to section 4.3 of the CCTS Procedural Code on the basis that the customer's complaint relates to an upcoming change to their existing rewards program. Public Mobile's objection states that the upcoming change was announced to their customers with a notice sent 30 days before the upcoming change. To demonstrate their position, Public Mobile provided the CCTS with screen captures of the notice sent to their customers.

Our Assessment 

We examined the customer's complaint and Public Mobile's objection to the complaint.

Section 4.3 of the CCTS Procedural Code states that The Commissioner may not direct or require a Participating Service Provider to change any of their policies or practices. Additionally, pricing of products or services fall outside the Commissioner’s scope. As your complaint pertains to an increase to your billed charges and a change to your contract, the CCTS confirms that your complaint falls within the scope of the CCTS.

The CCTS cannot accept objections that are based on the merits of the complaint, and such objections will be rejected. A “merit-based objection” is an objection in which the PSP asserts that the complaint should not be accepted by the CCTS because the PSP is allowed to do the action that the customer complained about.

Additionally, The CCTS does not consider the following matters as “pricing of products and service”: billing disputes, contract disputes or changes, price changes, additional charges, and removal of promotional discounts.  For this reason, we are rejecting the objection as your complaint meets the requirement set out by the procedural code.

Matty1234

I got an email today that they declined PM's objectio, I posted it twice but seems to be deleted twice 

JohnEleven

Good question, I'm in the same situation. Did you Get an answer?

@RetiredGuy1 

that is interesting…🤔 

Many users on this thread seem to have expressed that they declined public mobiles objection.

I wonder if Public Mobile stepped it up a notch and provided the CCTS with additional relevant information upon which to make a differing determination.

RetiredGuy1

@TheDre wrote:

My CCTS complaint was accepted on the 5th. The next day, PM tried to object and CCTS rejected the objection. I'm waiting to see what happens next.

I just received an email from the CCTS. The relevant excerpts follow:

Pursuant to Section 6.8 of our Procedural Code, we have considered Public Mobile’s objection. After a full review of the complaint, we are accepting the objection for reasons explained below. 

The Objection

The customer filed their complaint as Public Mobile has provided notice of an upcoming change to the existing rewards program. As per Public Mobile Service Terms, the services offered may be changed at any time with 30 days’ notice provided.

Our Assessment

The Commissioner may not direct or require a Participating Service Provider to change any of their policies or practices.  As your complaint pertains to PSP making changes to their reward program, we are unable to proceed with your complaint and are proceeding to accept your provider’s objection.

Conclusion

In light of our assessment of the complaint and Public Mobile’s objection, we have concluded that the complaint does not meet the requirements of the Procedural Code; falls outside of the scope of our mandate.

Therefore, we have proceeded to close the complaint further to section 4.3 of our Procedural Code.

——————————

So, there you have it. As for me - am I disappointed? Yes. Am I surprised? No.

SeniorCitizen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Wolfcore wrote:

What a crazy change. Now they're practically begging people to avoid PM. Everybody elses $29 plans are 20+ gigs.

Freedom = $29/20GB + US Talk
Lucky =$29/25GB 
Fizz = $29/20GB (without voicemail, or $30 with)
Pc Mobile = $29/28GB (25GB after 6 months)
Chatr = $29/30GB (+500MB with autopay)

Then we have PM, basically all the way at the bottom of the budget brands:

Public Mobile = $29/10GB

I wonder if this also covers hikes due to changes of loyalty programs?

IMG_0314.jpeg

maurelle

@EdN wrote:

$29 plan was 20gb, now 10gb.

It says so in my screen shot.

Take it up with Public Mobile who seems to do their very best to be as unatractive to lower use customers as possible.

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

What a crazy change. Now they're practically begging people to avoid PM. Everybody elses $29 plans are 20+ gigs.

Freedom = $29/20GB + US Talk
Lucky =$29/25GB 
Fizz = $29/20GB (without voicemail, or $30 with)
Pc Mobile = $29/28GB (25GB after 6 months)
Chatr = $29/30GB (+500MB with autopay)

Then we have PM, basically all the way at the bottom of the budget brands:

Public Mobile = $29/10GB

jimbobs2023

@G_Pomzz wrote:

More fake news... There are at least 21 countries with higher average cost than Canada.

Splitting hairs? Canada is by far the most expensive country for mobile services among comparable countries.

Grinch

@Public_Cust_17 wrote:

@Grinch   here's an independent review I found regarding them. It's comparing 5G but should give you an idea about the company.. https://mobilesyrup.com/2023/10/26/testing-freedom-mobile-5g-network-canada/

Thank you. Looks like the review I was looking at excluded 4G and 3G. I was thinking of using as a land line only. So it would not be accessing different networks. . 

G_Pomzz

Screenshot_2024-04-09-13-20-55-178_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

EdN

$29 plan was 20gb, now 10gb.

SeniorCitizen

Ah,,,,ok makes sense. 
So I guess “some” will have to wait up to 1-3 months for the switch over.  

Yatti4201
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

True the changeover will probably turn off all those discounts. So May.. I'll just leave at the end of the month and cancel PM. 

maurelle

@Yatti4201 wrote:

Is this going to be honoured? Or should I expect a surprise bill? I think they said the switchover is May? Screenshot 2024-04-09 122329.png

I think they are vague on purpose about that May timeline. There is a chance that they are moving accounts in batches.

All bets are off. I personally would count on paying full plan cost (specially if you pay by voucher...) but take the last $$ rewards if they are still applied to available funds on May 3.

maurelle

@SeniorCitizen wrote:

IMG_0312.jpeg
Help me!

Isn’t the max for loyalty $5?
And the max for subscription $2?

looks like that person is switching from a 90day plan?

@SeniorCitizen 

If you are on a 90 day plan, you will see them x3.

Need Help? Let's chat.