Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,503 REPLIES 5,503

mikasik2
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Worst PR move ever?

kylewm
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

PM's about to **bleep** around and find out. As others have pointed out, THE PEOPLE made Public for what they were - a success and an attractive carrier. I signed up about a couple weeks ago - or whenever it was, and generally had good first impressions. However, my tune changed the moment I found out about this change, and the fact that I was already on the new system and wasn't getting the same benefits as everyone else. I hope PM takes the L on this one and back-peddles. Mark my words: corporate greed will be this company's downfall.

Oakestester

The difference is that Petsmart isn't regulated by the CCTS. We're all filing CCTS complaints, and my understanding is that each one filed costs Public $140.

They are going to quickly find out that this change is a bad idea, just like they did when they tried to increase the price of the $120/12GB 90 day plan back in 2018. Consumers filed over 1600 CCTS complaints, and Public Mobile reversed course.

I very much hope they reverse course again, or they're going to lose a huge chunk of their user base.

Oakestester

No they will not.

Instead of the $2 autopay discount ($24/year), you will get 5% x $34 = 1.7 points per month (20.4/year). 

Instead of the $5/month loyalty discount ($60/year), you will get 10 points once per year.

So instead of $84 per year under the old system, you will get 30.4 points per year. Points are redeemable in increments of 15 for a $15 bill credit. So, putting the hassle of manual redemptions and having to wait until you have 15 points, you're spending an extra $53.60 per year.

rustynailz76
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Very valid point….if customers want more GB data, plans today from all carriers give you tons of data. Saying thank you to customers with data bonus will expire is not a thank you…it’s a slap in the face. The discounts that all loyal customers of the old rewards is was kept a loyal customer to PM…in my opinion those should remain grandfathered in. Why should past customers be put in a new rewards program that they sign up for, plain and simple the public points rewards system isn’t much savings at all…not going to convince past customers to stay on. In May, PM won’t be rewarding past customers with public points, they are going to be saying goodbye.

rustynailz76

This change of old rewards is hurting Public Mobile. The rewards is what kept customers staying and referring friends and family. Customers stayed loyal to public mobile, but, now public mobile isn’t saying thank you to long time customers…this is making them say goodbye. In May, I don’t plan to stay with Public Mobile and many friends and family I referred PM to are planning to leave. Makes no sense to remove these rewards from long lasting customers when it doesn’t affect anything. Public points is new to new customers. Let the past long lasting customer enjoy for the reason they originally joined Public Mobile for and offered to them at the time. PM don’t say goodbye to the ones that put PM where it is today…In May, many will be saying goodbye…that’s unfortunate.

kevin37

I am not happy about this. When the new rewards system was put in place it was made clear the old system for retreats was not changing and was implied that it wasn't being removed due existing customers. 

Also it seems I am being given 240GB of "free" data that expires in 150 days. I won't be able to access our use that data in the time frame as I have a larger monthly data plan that I don't go through fully each month. It feels more insulting than anything. 

@Kydd wrote:

10 years before they made big changes hmm  well was good while it last 🥂

There have been many changes.  Pioneers with Public Mobile still had a call centre for customer service.  Like any business there are ups and downs, new leaders trying to put their stamp on things.  So this is not the first Big Change

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Kydd
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

10 years before they made big changes hmm  well was good while it last 🥂

@Kydd wrote:

When exactly did Telus took over ?

@Kydd wrote:

October of 2013

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Kydd
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Community_QA_

Since so many people thinks rewards system cannot be changed, and so many upset why @J_PM said the new system brings "more ways to earn and spend rewards" but it was indeed worse

here is another example, Petsmart
https://www.petsmart.ca/new-treats-rewards/

and the response:
https://www.reddit.com/r/petsmart/comments/1b82wpx/thoughts_on_new_petsmart_treats_program/

Petsmart also said the new system has " exciting new features" but truth is nothing to be excited.

So, what we learned? 

1. Rewards system will change
  2. terms like "excited", "better" are just polished phases
  3. "They will never make a program that costs more. Any change is going to be to the company’s benefit."

Is PM bad? Corporate greed?  YES.  But they are just as bad as every other business

And an important thing to know:  Rewards are just perks and not the plan price.  While a reward system change will cost you more, the plan price itself stays the same.  This is not something CRTC or CCTS can help.  

upandadam

This generation is going to bend over and let things like this happen....or let Wendys price surge.

Just zero integrity anymore or accountability anymore. 

Stop being disingenuous and take a lap to reflect.  It was literally a loyalty discount to stop people from leaving.  Yeesh.  Nobody is arguing how easy it is to switch, and I will be as soon as I see a bill change, but to me it's not the money, it's the principle.

Community_QA_

@upandadam loyalty is just a polished word.  Porting can be done within 5 mins, mobile providers know clearly "loyalty" from subscribers are fake.  See how many subscribers left PM in the last Box Day sales?  Loyalty?  See how many subscribers came to PM (or some returned back) from good $34 plan?  there is no true customer loyalty anywhere.

upandadam

A lot of disconnect from your post that you really need to reflect on.   It was literally called a LOYALTY discount.  They also built their brand while relying on community support as am online only service that had a LOT of issues back in the day. Also, loyalty customers bringing people over.  Friends/family bringing in friends, helping them get set up in the early days of PM when it was incredibly small.  It's a greasy practice that you are bending over for, regarding of their rights as a business.  I promise that without the loyalty discounts, many people would have left and the community would have never taken off the way it did. 

So please reflect, as your post comes across as incredibly disingenuous.

Community_QA_

@J_PM 

Thanks for the announcement 

Like most people here, I don't like this change.   Personally, I  am going to loss  $84+tax  a year for my own account alone. Then I have couple more lines in my family and extended family, and friends.. the network goes on

I referred so many friends and I am their point of contact with PM support. Many called me in the past days. about this bad news. We all dislike more about the 150 days limited time data and the fact that we cannot downgrade our plan to try to utilize the data fully.

Tonight, I decide to come and read all the replies. There are a lot!! I have spent over 2 hours reading every posts here, 2218 replies the moment I start typing this

But I am not going to be like most of the 2000 posts here , coming here just to make a post to insult PM and those who work for PM, or those who try to share a more rational comment

I won't try to glorify myself like the other 2000 posts here saying I am "loyal" to PM and why PM betrays me. There is no betrayal here, it is just business. All these 2000+ posters (actually a lot less posters because the top poster alone already posted 190 times alone) should know better that the rewards would not stay that way.

People just try to use all the lame reasons in hope that PM will change its mind and they can continue saving the $7/month. Contrary to what they said, they have zero loyalty to PM, they are just loyal to the $7 saving. They moment they know the $7 gone, they turn away and start the search for a cheaper mobile provider. This is not loyalty to PM. They are just loyal to savings. I don't blame them. We all love savings. But don't say it so loud that you have been loyal to PM.

And to those who still think the rewards will give them the $7 saving forever, sorry, someone already posted on RFD the reason why PM can do that legally (so many has referred the support they got on RFD, but why no one talks about this particular post)?

Community_QA__0-1710389423237.png

And to those who don't usually read fine prints (and think a petition or 200 posts here are all they need to save couple bucks back a month), ALL REWARDS program have similar terms to allow them to make necessary changes.  This is not new, this is happening daily.  PM is just exercising its business right to make the necessary amendments to the rewards system.  

Skaliger

Just filed complaint with CCTS, because that's completely crazy, and they accepted it. We'll see how PM contacts me within 20 days to resolve this issue.

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yeah, it's pretty crazy. There is nothing objectively good about this announcement, not for the subscribers of this company at least. So those people are either bots, or closely related to people who work for the company. Other than that, it would make no sense to Bravo this.

HI @aarondalzot 

Whoever they are , you should respect. Different people sees thing differently

Like I don't like this decision, but I understand the view from the business.  And it is a nature that all rewards systems will change, and will change in favour of the businesses.  

aarondalzot

Who in their right mind would upvote this statement?

Mike-B

Bad move public mobile. This was the only thing keeping many of the legacy customers subscribed. The points system is much worse than the old rewards program, they're not even close. I'm sure the majority of your subscriber base are on the new points system, it would have been better to make it so if people switched plans then they would need to move to the new points system. This would have moved most people from $40 5GB plan to $34 50GB with USD included. Rather then insults everyone with data that you can't use or will loose in 150 days. Everyone needs to file a complaint and then vote with there wallet. 

Stelawrat

@HALIMACS wrote:

@JDBlue1966 wrote:

Same with me and the wife. It’s not the money, it’s the principle of being screwed for loyalty. 

I feel it IS about the money @JDBlue1966.   Just my opinion, for what it's worth.  

Otherwise, not as many would be commenting and outraged.

Some may say it's principle-based, and that's a commendable stance to take.   I, for one, will let the best combination of price and options and service guide my choice.   If that's here, then so be it;  if elsewhere, then that's what it will be.

I'm guessing Public Mobile would love to see a mass exodus of it's die-hard $15 and $13 monthly customer base to other providers as their ARPU is unlikely with that segment.

For those of us with many years of Legacy Rewards + gifts over the years, I believe it's definitely about the money. I only have to read through the replies to see that it's the loss of the monthly reduction to the cost of their plan, that has angered them the most, which is normal after all. 

The rallying calls to breach of loyalty are valid as well, but I would imagine most people are well aware that brand loyalty ended a long time ago & that's definitely a two way street.

Today's consumer has all the data at their fingertips & aren't as apt to stay with one brand the way their parents did, as evidenced by all of the comments by people who are ready to kick their own loyalty to PM to the curb. 

It's a bygone era that businesses are well aware of & will adjust their practices for accordingly. 

If that offends their customers' principles, such that they abandon the business, in most cases won't have much of an impact, especially so in the case of mobile service providers, as they're pretty much all linked, in one way or another. 

I  wouldn't want to see people hurting themselves financially, in a vain attempt to try to hurt a conglomerate like Telus, the effect like a grain of sand in a desert. 

Personally, I lose ~$120. per year as a result of the change, maybe a drop in the bucket for some & doesn't have a big impact on myself. If I can do better elsewhere, with good reviews, service etc. & recoup that $120. or near it, fine. If all I stand to gain is $10 or $15 per year, then it's not worth the gamble, or the hassle & I certainly won't feel that I've lowered my principles. 

upandadam

I have been a subscriber since 2016.  Loyalty was the reason for staying and bringing in other custmers.

This destroys that and now there is absolutely no reason to stay. 

PM just ruined the one thing that made them different and worth being loyal to.

SeniorCitizen

@Palaco wrote:

This is ridiculous. You will be losing many loyal subscribers if this change occurs including myself. Listen to the people and reverse this hypocrisy at once.

I agree BUT. If you have rewards now from referrals they can accumulate for the odd $15 off. But if no referrals and you find something similar…..go for it. 

SeniorCitizen

@computergeek541 

@Skin 

If there is no value (community reward) to get your old name back….don't  bother.  They messed all 3 of mine up. And one doesn’t work. 

Palaco

This is ridiculous. You will be losing many loyal subscribers if this change occurs including myself. Listen to the people and reverse this hypocrisy at once.

@Skin wrote:

Same here, put me with status ‘New in town’ 

Your old Community username is recoverable.  A ticket would need to be opened to make this request.

SeniorCitizen

@hTideGnow wrote:

HI @dariovitale 

once you ported out your number, your account will be closed, there is no way to resume the account

but of course, you can always come back and reactivate as a new account with a new sim card or new esim

@hTideGnow 

That’s what PM says.  But I doubt it.  When I ported my Telus prepaid number to PM my Telus account remained for 3 months. I contacted them as to why, I  was told they kept it there in case I changed my mind. And I had a balance on my account as well, that I forfeited. 

SeniorCitizen

@Christian1981 

I think you are ineligible for the free data. 

Need Help? Let's chat.