cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rewards

DonnaD16
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
  • I joined Public Mobile a few years ago because of the pricing. I knew of the rewards program was coming but the info on it was very vague. I was shocked today to see that my monthly charge has gone up to $25+tax and I have a whole 5 points. I'm very disillusioned with this company and its lack of real support. I will likely be switching back to Koodo for the same price with better service and support.
29 REPLIES 29

Yesmil8

You are right! Like I mentioned in another question response, here in Canada we have a Telecom cartel. No real free market 

Yesmil8

This sounds very helpful! I will check that for myself. Thank you @Phil_Adelphus 

@DonnaD16  The free data lasts 150 days from when it was placed in your account as far as I know.

DonnaD16

Thank you for posting the information about losing the data on the $19 plan.  I switched over effective next month/billing.  I never use data and don't recall being advised I had some free as a thank you for switching to the points system.  My question is, do I have the free data they gave until it's used up, then no more?  I suppose I could go an look it up myself, but the explanation of things on the site is very vague at best.  Thanks for any help provided.

Scott_Guo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you so much for the detailed information. I must have overlooked the email. Have a nice day!!!

@Scott_Guo  The switch from automatically applied $ rewards to points was announced a couple of months ago, you should have received a notification by text or email and it was also posted here with a link to this FAQ  https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/move-to-public-points 

You'll now need to collect points and manually apply them to buy discounted add ons or a bill credit.  You might want to look at the new $19 1GB plan at 4G speed that should show as an option for subscription change when logged in to your account (it's not on the general Shop page).  You should have received a bonus of data as compensation for the switch so be aware that switching to a lower plan removes that bonus data, but not any previous gift data, as mentioned in the FAQ.

Scott_Guo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am having the same situation. I used to get charged for $16 plus tax monthly. I am on the $25 monthly plan. I have discounts for $5 loyalty, $2 autopay, and $2 friend referral. But this month I got the bill ($25 plus tax). Is public mobile no longer offering the discounts? Does anyone know?

@DonnaD16   Yes, it was that you didn't mention its having LTE before that made me think it was old.  But this is not the automatic setting @Jedi1  was talking about, it's the one in the Samsung link I posted.  That's where you set it to Public Mobile manually, nothing to do with LTE etc.

DonnaD16

It is set on LTE/WCDMA/GSM (auto connect) and only have the 3 other options I mentioned earlier.  

@DonnaD16   I think you were looking in the wrong place for automatic, it's not for the speed (you didn't mention LTE which is why I thought the phone was old but S10 should have LTE).  See the instructions from Samsung that I just posted.

DonnaD16

It's not more than a few years old.  It's a Samsung Galaxy S10

@DonnaD16  It should have LTE then, if you tap on automatic in networks does it not switch to manual?  See this article from Samsung, you should just be able to toggle off Automatic and select a carrier

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/how-do-i-manually-select-a-network-on-my-samsung-g... 

DonnaD16

Really don't think it's that old.  My daughter gives me her old phones every couple yrs when she upgrades.  Its a Samsung S10

@DonnaD16  What phone is that?  It sounds as if it's fairly old?

DonnaD16

Thank you for the suggestion, but I don't have a manual option in my settings. I only have auto connect and WCDMA/GSM, WCDMA only and GSM only.  My phone is set on auto connect  with Public Mobile as operator.  

Jedi1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@DonnaD16   You could try setting the network selection to manual instead of automatic and then selecting Public Mobile to see if that helps.  

DonnaD16

Yes and taking away credits after receiving them for 3 yrs is not good business practice.  Sure they now reward us with points but it'll take 8-9 months to get enough points to apply ti the bill. Then you have to start all over again. Geesh, how gullible do they think we are?

DonnaD16

I've seen a lot of recommendations for other carriers since I posted. My main issue was dropped calls too.  I understand that Lucky Mobile is owned by Bell which I will never deal with again. I'm going to give PM another month and if calls keep dropping, I'm moving too.

ShaunLockwood

yes but switching to Lucky Mobile does...  Plus they have better coverage anyway.  All i get is call drops with Public and texting doesn't go through sometimes, horrible.

DonnaD16

Honestly I don't know what the lowest basic price is. I only want Canada wide calling and unlimited texting. Apparently my plan was $25 but I had loyalty credit and automatic payment which brought my total plus tax to $22.60.

DonnaD16

You're right that it is even cheaper than I'm paying now but that will increase to $21 monthly after 90 days which will being it to a bit more than I'm paying now. As for the Telus kiosk, I was in there last week and the pimply faced kid offered to move my service over to Koodo at no charge whenever I'm ready. If I have a real problem with my phone or service, it's much easier dealing with someone face to face than sitting with my cell phone waiting for an acceptable resolution. But I am going to give the new plan a chance.

ShaunLockwood

I have the same issue, I was paying under $9 a month and now I am paying over $16 for the same crappy service.  I don't need much data, i want bare bones for emergencies.

@DonnaD16 

those Telus kiosks aren't actual PM support...and they close at 4 or 5pm whereas PM Community Forum is here 24/7 and probably better equipped to address your questions than the pimply faced kid in the kiosk.

The newly offered Public Mobile $19 plan has the same features as your current $25 plan and you'll pay $6 less. No need for Rewards, you get a deal with that new plan.

@DonnaD16    I have no use for data on my phone so I always get the lowest, basic price.

The lowest basic price with Public Mobile is $15, so if you were charged $25 + tax then something is wrong other than the loss of rewards $.

DonnaD16

I really doubt I'll be back. I know public mobile is the lowest end of Telus but I can go to a Telus kiosk (which I did last week) and get real support. I have no use for data on my phone so I always get the lowest, basic price. Thank you for your response.

Jedi1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Phil_Adelphus Thank you for posting this, I may look at this for my youngest.  He is on the $29 plan currently but only 14 and does not use much data at this point.  

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@DonnaD16  If you are on the $25 for 1GB data you might be interested in the new $19 for 1GB available to existing customers (you have to log in to your account to see it).

@DonnaD16 wrote:
  • I joined Public Mobile a few years ago because of the pricing. I knew of the rewards program was coming but the info on it was very vague. I was shocked today to see that my monthly charge has gone up to $25+tax and I have a whole 5 points. I'm very disillusioned with this company and its lack of real support. I will likely be switching back to Koodo for the same price with better service and support.

Switching to Koodo isn't something that Public Mobile will notice.  They're both owned by Telus.  A customers need to decide what's best for them.  Best of luck, and maybe some day, you might be back if there is a atttractive plan offering.

Need Help? Let's chat.