Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,374 REPLIES 5,374

JamJam2
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Or just setup a complaint with the CCTS regarding conflicting messaging regarding guarantees, and the new points system being optional.  Let the CCTS sort it out. And it'll cost Telus $140 per complaint.

fillione

As many others, I am very unhappy with this change...

Does the wise group of people who decided Public Points are better for us think we didn't do the math when they launched the program a little while back?

Thanks for the useless bonus data btw, will never get to use this since I of course have a plan that covers my monthly needs! Big thumbs up! I guess I'll downgrade my plan and - wait for it - earn less points in the process, leading to less rewards while I enjoy useless bonus from an undesired change. 

Just put your grown up pants on, and state it clearly : "We at PM have decided that we're not making enough money since most stayed on the old program, so we're attempting to hypnotize you all into thinking it's a better option to switch to points instead of good old fashion - and immediate - cash rewards.". I mean, who wouldn't want to have to wait to enjoy less money, right? (facepalm)

From 8$ off a month (soon to be 9$), down to 4.53 avg ppints a month on a 34$ plan, where every 3 or 4 months I'll trade my points for 15$ off that will reduce my point intake by 0.75 that month... Yay, I'm so happy I could cry... NOT!

steveb11
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hey Public Mobile, here's a question for you: Why did you remove the post I just put up? (For the record, folks, I'm a low-budget PM customer. I'm on the $15/mo plan. I posted my review of all the other options that are out there for those who are considering a switch, as I now am. I summarized the low-budget options for 10 other providers. And then my post disappeared.)

So, Public Mobile, did I somehow violate the terms of our agreement?? Like, the way you just violated the terms of the agreement we had with respect to my loyalty rewards???

Things aren't bad enough for you that you now have to resort to censoring posts???

Wow, are you ever making me feel warm and cuddly about our relationship....

P.S. Restore my post, PM, if you have the stones to do it. Afraid of a little competition???

Zahir_h
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

They have been removing posts since this OP when up.  They are also removing posts which mention the guys name who is the head of PM so we can't sent him complaints directly 

steveb11

Hey Public Mobile, here's a question for you: Why did you remove the post I just put up? (For the record, folks, I'm a low-budget PM customer. I'm on the $15/mo plan. I posted my review of all the other options that are out there for those who are considering a switch, as I now am. I summarized the low-budget options for 10 other providers. And then my post disappeared.)

So, Public Mobile, did I somehow violate the terms of our agreement?? Like, the way you just violated the terms of the agreement we had with respect to my loyalty rewards???

Things aren't bad enough for you that you now have to resort to censoring posts???

Wow, are you ever making me feel warm and cuddly about our relationship....

Zahir_h

I haven't gotten the email either.  And this can actually be a good thing to leverage when filing a CCTS complaint as they have not sent you any notification regarding this scummy move 

Spindy64
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Sorry….PB IS ACTUALLY PM…Public mobile. My tired, angry fat fingers screwed up. 

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yup, this is super important. When you say in one line "you'll keep these for as long as you have an active account", and then the next line say that you reserve the right to change it, you're either shamelessly false advertising, or your "change" comment is referring to altering the reward system moving forward (but not erasing what people have already earned up to that point). 

staticcory_0-1709944676592.png

WindyOrbits

According to this article, I should I have received an email by now (article says March 8th) about this change. I never did. Is there somewhere I can email/message so that I receive this email? Thanks!

Leela3

SO BLOODY GREASY!!! I am honestly just furious about this. I want to start by saying that yes I am new to the community aspect of things but not to PM. I joined back in March of 2011. I still have the receipt. Some of you may remember the unfortunate "migration" over to Koodo as we were led to believe PM was on it's way out. So I foolishly took part in 2017. I came back to PM during the pandemic as I could no longer receive calls and texts with Koodo and no fix was on the horizon. I was happy to return to PM and have been receiving auto pay and loyalty rewards for years now. I am truly disappointed with this change and I will be shopping around for sure. Please know that in order for a CCTS complaint to be effective you must first go through PM customer service. Many try to bypass this step but you must be able to prove that you attempted to resolve this with  PM first. Otherwise it's a waste of time. Keep any proof of communication you have with PM as it will be required. Fingers crossed they decide against making this change!

Zahir_h

What's funny..... I have not received an email from them about the change yet and it's already March 9th

dudesbot

I just checked my email from when Public Points first launched. Proudly in bold text:

"We want to emphasize that joining Public Points
is optional for all existing customers."

What a complete 180! But hey, now we get expiring data that can't be easily used.

bb8715

From the FAQ about the move:

How long is my bonus data valid?

Your bonus data will be valid for 150 days from the day it’s applied to your account.

What is the special bonus being provided to customers? As a token of our appreciation, we're rewarding you with bonus data. You’ll find the specifics of this bonus in the email that will be sent to you by March 8th.

It has an expiration date of 5 months...

Salvo1

Don't go with freedom freedom sucks

Zahir_h

You can also argue that their notice/disclaimer about change is quite vague.  

Change = modification

What PM is doing is cancelling this rewards program. They should have said change/cancel/remove/replace etc

public_999

I'm not so sure about that.  The email I received back in 2022 says otherwise.  There is a disclaimer about their right to change system but the link provided only takes you to the terms and conditions of the new point system with no reference to the old

geeloo

Prepaid 

geeloo

I thought I hated Bell (who is behind PC Mobile). But with this latest news for PM to retire the old reward system, I now hate Telus/PM even more. So it's either Freedom (still spotty network) or begrudgingly PC Mobile for me.

Sidenote. Telus has done the math already. The lost customers expected from this change has been factored in. Maybe they actually *want* to lose us low revenue customers to bring up their ARPU. 

on2wheels

Did you label public mobile as prepaid or post paid in your complaint? Just so we're all consistent in our submissions.

By the way, who is "bravo'ing" this announcement post?!

ninjastar

That's what we switched our 4 accounts to and, gasp, you can call them for help setting it all up...

Laurier1

I am extremely dissatisfied with the change in points as I will go from a $6 discount to a $2-$3 discount (you only give the $10 off every year so that is less than a dollar a month for being a loyal customer)per month.   The extra data you give as a bonus for a few months is useless as I don’t use the data I have!  It’s time to look at the PC mobile plans as it is a much better plan for pc points that can be used for shoppers drug mart or the PC grocery stores.  I am extremely disappointed in Public Mobile after being a loyal customer for 4 years. I certainly will not be recommending them to anyone anymore! 

Creme

This is B.S!! Loyalty my A$$! I'm losing $50 a year with the new points program. I'll be leaving, along with my 3 family members that are with PM. No bragging to friends and Co workers about this company anymore. Bye bye!!

ily

Note to PC Mobile and Freedom admins: set a reminder for April 30th to beef up your servers because the next day, you'll get flooded with a whole lot of new signups.

@stormy13 wrote:

And what good is the bonus data to those on the 5G "unlimited" plans going to be? Pretty sure it will be incompatible just like all the previous annual bonus freebies became for those that still had them when they switched to the 5G plans.

@stormy13 

According to PM staff, this bonus data add on should work with the unlimited throttled data plans.  Once your plan data is used up, then the bonus data add on should kick in and you will receive full data speeds (instead of throttled data speeds).  Whether it works in reality, we will find out.  You are right that the grandfathered data add ons (ie. XMAS bonus) don't work with these unlimited data plans. 

homer

This is disappointing. Time to consider porting to freedom / fizz... 

stormy13

And what good is the bonus data to those on the 5G "unlimited" plans going to be? Pretty sure it will be incompatible just like all the previous annual bonus freebies became for those that still had them when they switched to the 5G plans.

@joe77 wrote:

Maybe PM could give us access to their $24 or $29 plans that they are currently only offering to new subs.  That would help ease the hit on most of us that have $34+ plans with $7 or less loyalty rewards.

@joe77 

Agree with you comment.  Offering these new "activation" only plans ($24 or $29) would help many several legacy customers transition to the points system.  

It has been recommended to PM staff, but no response yet.  

I doubt that Public mobile will backtrack from the migration to points. Hopefully, with all this negative feedback, PM will offer more than the inadequate expiring data bonus.  The migration won't happen until May, so we still have time to see whether PM will adjust their response. 

Hosna

Will switch and also make a complaint with the CCTS.

@Annelise wrote:

What happened with the guarantee we could stay this way??

@Annelise 

Unfortunately, there was no guarantee that the legacy rewards will stay the same forever.

In the terms and conditions, Public mobile reserves the right to change the reward system with notice.

Need Help? Let's chat.