cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Until August 21, get the $50 8GB plan for $40/mo for 6 months

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey Community,

Effective immediately to August 21, 2019 at 11:59PM ET, new customers who activate online or in-store at participating retailers on the $50 8GB plan pay only $40/mo for their first 6 months.

Plan details:

•     30-day plan
  •     8 GB Data at 3G speed
  •     +Bonus 500 MB with AutoPay
  •     Unlimited Talk to Canada-wide and U.S.
  •     Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging
  •     Voicemail and Call Display

How to Get this Offer:

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online or locate a participating retailer to purchase a SIM Card.
  2. Activate in-store OR visit activate.publicmobile.ca to activate at home.
  3. Follow the step-by-step instructions for activating online until you get to step 3, “Plans and Add-Ons”.
  4. Be sure to select the plan “Limited time: $50 8GB plan for $40 for first 6 months”
  5. Continue through the rest of the steps.

Here’s what else you should know:

•     Only the Ready-made $50/mo plan is eligible for this offer.
  •     Eligible customers will pay $40/mo for months 1-6, then resume paying $50/mo from month 7 and onwards
  • If you switch your rate plan from $50/mo at regular price, OR fall into a suspend or inactive state while on the promotion, you will no longer be eligible for this promotion.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

-Public Mobile Community Team

45 REPLIES 45

@Nicko343 wrote:

I guess we all know by now, but it’s way cheaper ooo 😂😂

What is way cheaper? The quote button would help to tell people who you are replying to.

Nicko343
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I guess we all know by now, but it’s way cheaper ooo 😂😂

Nicko343

Well they have just showing some love with an extra 1 Gb of data check your account to see it’s there.

Nicko343

Continue to message PM they normally reply within at least 24 hour as for the porting of your number it’s take awhile for the transition to reflect on your account 

@dickwong wrote:

Public is becoming a 3G netwotk, charge 4G price but in return 2Gb more of data to comfort you.  And minus live person support.  So sad.

I don’t feel that way at all. I will admit that since the latest competitive plans at the big guys over the last few months the space between TELUS and Public Mobile has shrunk a bit. IE the savings aren’t quite as much now. As someone else said, I suspect it will only be a matter of time until PM bumps up to including even slower unlimited data. I’m more than happy with the “3G like” data speeds so slower unlimited would be a nice addition IMHO.

Terry

saeliux

@dickwong wrote:

Public is becoming a 3G netwotk, charge 4G price but in return 2Gb more of data to comfort you.  And minus live person support.  So sad.

3G data is standard at this tier. The competition Chatr, lucky do the same. Once they start offering 4G as standard, PM will have to also move up to 4G to remain competitive. This will happen in few years. Haha.. And people will find ways to complain that 4G is slow in comparison to the new faster tech. 

The lack of live support is to keep prices low. Less staff to pay. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dickwong wrote:

I'm not sad. I haven't needed to "talk" with any agent since I got here over a year ago. It just keeps working. I rarely needed to talk to Telus before that over a couple decades. I sympathize with those that have some kind of issue and have to wait for the moderator response but it even looks like that's improving currently.

dickwong

Meansheen
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just put $40 would have been nice to have this i was out of data before the end of the weekend 😞

luke11992
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@jor123 wrote:

Loyalty is important too, though.

They're giving existing customers a 1gb data add-on for free!

If it were any other company, they'd be taking away features while hiking up the prices.

jclaydon2018

personally, i don't really care.  I already have plenty of data.   But from PM's perspective, there is no real incentive to offer this kind of thing to customers they already have.

Now if you wanted to get current customers to pay more money, then they should do a promotion like 8G of 4G for 6 months for something like $50.  THAT i would do in a heartbeat.

just my two cents, your milage may vary

-James

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Loyalty is important too, though.

Yes it is easy to be ticked when a deal is for new customers only but nothing unusual about that. The company gets something from new customers that they don’t get from existing customers... additional revenue. If deals to lure over new customers had to be offered to everyone these deals would be much less lucrative and much less frequent.

There are ways around it as mentioned. Some people switch telephone, internet and tv providers fairly often getting new TV sets or laptop computers each time but most of us just can’t be bothered with all the hasle and are content to let cell companies attract new customers with special deals. PM does improve plans fairly regularly. I started at $30 for 1/2 Gb, then they bumped it to 1Gb for the same price, then they dropped it to $25. This all happened over a period of 3-4 months. The $25/1Gb plan wasn’t for new customers only, anyone could switch to it.

Terry

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jor123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Everybody is always free to get another SIM, use another email address and sign-up again getting a new promo. Particularly no problem if you picked up a new number or haven't ported over yet.

Sure...at the cost of the plan you just got. Use it for the paid term and then let it expire. Give it to a friend, a neighbour, a relative, as a hotspot.

I mean, nobody should have to do that to get a plan..

It's an entirely common sales and marketing strategy not unique to this place. So this method allows you to get it.

I activated another line when they had the 5gb add-on promo. I call it my data line.

@Joister wrote:

I am existing customer and my 3 month prepay has been paid $120 can I switch to this deal?

Sorry, but new customers only

Joister
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am existing customer and my 3 month prepay has been paid $120 can I switch to this deal?

maheshboloor

@jor123 Yes, and paying for another carrier also screws up the whole deal. It just sucks that existing users can't get new deals.

jor123

@Anonymous wrote:

Everybody is always free to get another SIM, use another email address and sign-up again getting a new promo. Particularly no problem if you picked up a new number or haven't ported over yet.

Sure...at the cost of the plan you just got. Use it for the paid term and then let it expire. Give it to a friend, a neighbour, a relative, as a hotspot.

I mean, nobody should have to do that to get a plan..

@buiya wrote:

Do you have to keep this plan after the 6 months are up? 

You can change your plan if you wish, but changing before 6 months means that you would lose the discount.

After 6 months, you can change plans, but when making any plan change, you can only choose from current plan offerings.  It's also usually in your best interest to select the self-serve option to have the system make the plan change to automatically occur during the next renewal period.

maheshboloor

@buiya No you dont. To take full advantage of the promo, make sure the plan is on your account for 6 full months. I would suggest look for all the billing transactions to make sure u got 10$ off six times - Total of 60$. Once u confirm that, change your plan to what you want to be billed for. 

buiya

Do you have to keep this plan after the 6 months are up? 

maheshboloor

@Alan_K I know it clearly says new customers. At the risk of sounding stupid, any chance existing customers can get a piece of this pie? I joined PM at a wrong time. I missed the 30$ 2 GB promo as well. Damnit!

I switched from Freedom this month too but it switched in minutes. Did you do it yourself or did you do it in store?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

**bleep** I should have registered earlier and I could have referred some friends. Good plan though.

danielj

@Alan_K wrote:

Hey Community,

Effective immediately to August 21, 2019 at 11:59PM ET, new customers who activate online or in-store at participating retailers on the $50 8GB plan pay only $40/mo for their first 6 months.

Plan details:

•     30-day plan
  •     8 GB Data at 3G speed
  •     +Bonus 500 MB with AutoPay
  •     Unlimited Talk to Canada-wide and U.S.
  •     Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging
  •     Voicemail and Call Display

How to Get this Offer:

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online or locate a participating retailer to purchase a SIM Card.
  2. Activate in-store OR visit activate.publicmobile.ca to activate at home.
  3. Follow the step-by-step instructions for activating online until you get to step 3, “Plans and Add-Ons”.
  4. Be sure to select the plan “Limited time: $50 8GB plan for $40 for first 6 months”
  5. Continue through the rest of the steps.

Here’s what else you should know:

•     Only the Ready-made $50/mo plan is eligible for this offer.
  •     Eligible customers will pay $40/mo for months 1-6, then resume paying $50/mo from month 7 and onwards
  • If you switch your rate plan from $50/mo at regular price, OR fall into a suspend or inactive state while on the promotion, you will no longer be eligible for this promotion.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

-Public Mobile Community Team

I know that this promotions that Public Mobile has been releasing lately has been targeting getting new customers to sign up. But it always buggs me when a cable or telecomunication company release a promotional plan that it limited to new customers.

brookzee
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello! Made the account as I also have to add, not cool existing customers don't qualify. It's a bit misleading the advertisement on the 'my account' front end 

Had to enter a new incognito browser as well when selecting upgrade and add to next cycle, screen would just go transparent and could not proceed to change plan. Something weird with your 

lithium.com cookie   EDIT: not that one, must have been a JS error or something. Luckiley I know to purge local cache but most users trying to upgrade would have been frustrated! 

Only switching to this ponzi for the unlimted US talk! ....Hope to see US talk on a $35/3GB plan would be my sweetspot...

Cheers see you arround, might try and be helpful around here in order to get some credits!

Alan_K

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Alan_K 

Can you clarify please?

At https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans/50for8GB-3Gspeed , it says up to 7 days to receive discount and also says August 20 and 21 only.

Can you confim that the plan is already available and that the first 30 days is $40?

The discount is instant at checkout, customers will not need to pay $50 and then be credited later. I will work to resolve that discrepancy soon! Thanks for the catch.

sunflowershine

Great plan! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@cavemantoronto wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Alan_K 

Once again...inconsistent wording. Your announcement post says immediately (4:05pm probably my time zone) but the plan details say Aug 20...tomorrow.

Doesn't matter now as it's now Aug 20 in ET. We've seen people get these things crossed up before and not getting the promo until specific action is taken that they shouldn't need.

A new customer looks to have been caught in that.  Activated on Monday but didn't get the discount. Same mistake for this promo when they did it before too.

I hadn't noticed that somebody already got caught up. If they activated after 4:05pm PT then they should get the promo. If not then now they have to go through all the time consuming waits for a moderator or even Alan_K intervention which I have seen just so he can honour his words.

@Anonymous wrote:

@Alan_K 

Once again...inconsistent wording. Your announcement post says immediately (4:05pm probably my time zone) but the plan details say Aug 20...tomorrow.

Doesn't matter now as it's now Aug 20 in ET. We've seen people get these things crossed up before and not getting the promo until specific action is taken that they shouldn't need.

A new customer looks to have been caught in that.  Activated on Monday but didn't get the discount. Same mistake for this promo when they did it before too.

Need Help? Let's chat.