cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED: Get 6 GB at 3G speeds for $45! OR Get 8 GB at 3G speeds for $50!

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Update as of October 16, 2018: These plans are now expired.

Update: Effective September 4th, 2018, the $50 for 8 GB at 3G speed plan includes Unlimited Talk to Canada-wide and the U.S. See FAQ for details.

Hey Community,

Now, for a limited time only, get 6 GB at 3G speed for $45 or get 8 GB at 3G speed for $50!

Plan details:

$45 for 6 GB at 3G speed

• 30-day plan
  • 6 GB of data at 3G speed
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging
  • New and current customers are eligible

$50 for 8 GB at 3G speed

• 30-day plan
  • 8 GB of data at 3G speed
  • Unlimited Talk to Canada-wide and the U.S.
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging
  • New and current customers are eligible

How to get this offer:

New customers

Current customers

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online or locate a participating retailer to purchase a SIM Card.
  2. Visit activate.publicmobile.ca and follow the instructions to activate your SIM Card. If purchasing from a participating retailer, the retail associate can assist you with the activation.
  3. During the activation process, select the Ready-made plan “$45 for 6 GB of data at 3G speed” or select “$50 for 8 GB of data at 3G speed”.
  1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the Ready-made plan “$45 for 6 GB of data at 3G speed” or select “$50 for 8 GB of data at 3G speed”. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

-Public Mobile Community Team

FAQs

Spoiler

Question

Answer

How long will this plan be in market?

This is a limited time offer and is subject to change without notice. Please refer to Public Mobile’s Service Terms.  Please note that the promotion will not be honoured after it has ended. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online, are in-transit and not yet activated.

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

I am an existing customer. What is the difference between changing my plan immediately and changing my plan on the next renewal date?

When changing your plan, you have 2 options: (1) change your plan immediately or (2) change on your next renewal date.

Here is the difference:

Changing your plan immediately...

You may choose to change your plan immediately if you have used all or most of your services, if your account is suspended and you would like a different plan, or if you would like to get started right away on the new plan. Here are some things you should know about this option:

●     There must be enough funds in your account to cover the full amount of the new plan.

●     A new payment cycle starts when you activate your new plan.

●     Your plan will not be prorated, which means that any days remaining in your current payment cycle will not be credited to your new plan.

●     Due to system limitations, if your account is suspended, you will need to send a private message to our Moderator Team here to change your plan immediately. You will need to be signed in to the Community for the link to work.

●     Any earned Rewards will be applied on your next renewal after the plan change.

Changing your plan at the next renewal date…

On the other hand, you may choose to change your plan on your next renewal date because it allows you to use the services you have already paid for. We recommend this option so your money can go further. Here are some things you should know about this option:

●     If you choose to change your plan on your next plan renewal date, the amount owed will be automatically updated.

●     If you have AutoPay set up, the amount of your new plan will be charged on your payment due date.

●     You can cancel a future-dated plan change at any time by clicking on the ‘Plans and Add-Ons’ tab and selecting ‘Cancel Order’.

●     Any earned Rewards will be applied on your next renewal after the plan change.

What happened to the previous “$45 for 5.5 GB at 3G speed” plan?

This plan has been expired and is no longer available in our Self-Serve and activation portals. If you’re currently on the “$45 for 5.5 GB at 3G speed” plan, and would like to stay on this plan, no change is required.

I already purchased the previous “$45 for 5.5 GB at 3G speed” plan. Will my data limit automatically change to 6 GB?

No, the data limit will not update automatically as these are two distinct plans. That said, if you want to change to the $45 for 6 GB plan, you can do so in Self-Serve and the plan will change on your next renewal date.

I chose to switch to the “$45 for 5.5 GB at 3G speed” on my next renewal date. What will happen?

If you have changed your plan to the $45 for 5.5 GB plan and choose not to make any changes now, on your next renewal date, you will have the “$45 for 5.5 GB at 3G speed” plan. Your plan will not automatically update to the new “$45 for 6 GB at 3G speed” plan.

What happens if these plan becomes unavailable before my next plan renewal date?

If you chose to change your plan to “$45 for 6 GB of data at 3G speed“ or to “$50 for 8 GB of data at 3G speed” on the next renewal date and the request has been submitted successfully, you will still switch to the selected plan even if the promotion ends before your renewal date occurs.

I already purchased the previous “$50 for 8 GB at 3G speed” plan. Will my plan automatically update to include Unlimited Talk to the U.S.?

No, it will not update automatically as these are two distinct plans. That said, if you want to change to the new $50 for 8 GB plan, you can do so in Self-Serve and the plan will change on your next renewal date.

231 REPLIES 231

Effort
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Everyone is reaping the benefits of competition. I wonder which company would start going after the lower priced market with actually decent data first like $30 for 3GB.

Not sure if it's possible but maybe a $25 plan with 2GB but half the data is full LTE and the other half is 3G. Something to edge over the competition, especially since Chatr doesn't have anything past 3G unless Rogers changes that.

Chatr's $50 plan now includes 8GB as well, but still maintains U.S. calling. I realize that the Chatr plan is a zoned plan and autopay is required for that plan, but recent times has shown Public matching them, although I have no idea if it was Public or if it was Chatr to first do the $50/8GB.  Who's willing to place a wager that the Public Mobile plan will soon also include U.S. calling? 

I also have a funny feeling Lucky will be doing something soon to get some plan up to 8GB at $50..  Right now, Lucky Mobile is doing the $40/4.5 GB unzoned plan and also zoned plans of $45/5.5GB and $50/6.5GB.

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Wow, keep those promo deals coming.  Combine this with the $25 referral credit and you got yourself a nice deal.  Still waiting for another 4G LTE data deal though.  Guess I'm gonna have to wait until Christmas holidays?

@wetcoaster, that’s an option of course, and it’s the same as topping up prior to payment date with a credit card.

@stonechucker wrote:

@ottawa, the price change up seems to be the more problematic one...  The only issue I saw with the price change down was taking too much on the autopay.  

If there's a worry in someone's mind have them top up a day or two ahead (and change immediately if available).

@stonechucker

I might be the lone voice here but I feel I have to counter balance all the negative reports a tiny bit...

Over the 18 months I have switched plans several times, most of them to same plan / lower price, but also the big step from $25 talk&text to $45/5.5GB at the end of July 2018. The future dated plan changes have worked flawlessly every time.

Disclaimer: I'm a voucher user, so the available funds are always in the account before the system starts the renewal cycle.

justinbeaudoin
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I just signed up for the 5.5gb plan, amazing that this is being offered for the full 6! 😄

luke11992

Whether it's matching the migration offers or not, I've gotta say I'm impressed PM actually puts out these competitive offers to begin with. It's more than can be said of the big 3

djmitch99
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Im in the same decision making dilemma.  I rarely call the U.S.  but would like the option.  May go to 8gb and buy a U.S. Add on so i can call if needed.  The add on doesnt go away so you arent paying each month if you rarely call the usa.  Usa can call us with no usage of minutes.

These plans aren't bad, and I'm tempted to switch to one of them.  However, I will say that the prices don't seem as special as they could because the plans don't include U.S. calling.  Whether or not you need that long distance option, the U.S. calling option is being sacrificed to offer a price $5 lower than normal. And for the $50 promo, U.S. calling is being traded.for more data. It would be nice if customers didn't have take one or the other.  But, more choice is good.  I have plan change thinking to do.

Skarb

Just keeps getting better  Signed up for $40 for 4.5GB just the other day

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

This is getting more excited day by day before the summer ends! 

@ottawa, the price change up seems to be the more problematic one...  The only issue I saw with the price change down was taking too much on the autopay.  

If there's a worry in someone's mind have them top up a day or two ahead (and change immediately if available).

ottawa

Thanks, I'll be careful not to recommend price changes to friends then, at least until I see discussion the bug's fixed. 🙂

=aw

@ottawa, in the particular change you're asking about ($45 for 4.5 to $45 for 6.0) as it's the same price and same term length, there should be no problem with the change.   The plan is holding steady on both length and cost.

Errors have been found when costs change (up or down) and possibly a problem when changing plan lengths (although less likely).

@billychan08, as with every limited time offer, no one knows how long, until Public either ends the offer outright or provides an expiry date.

These offers could disappear in 3 hours, or 30 days.  We have no clue.

ottawa

@popping wrote:

I will switch my $45/5.5GB plan to $45/6GB plan on my next renewal date.  I am hoping that plan change to a plan with the same dollor amount will renew fine. 

On second thought, I think I will do the plan change one day before my next due date.  I don't want to wait for a week to restore service.

Isn't it better to book it now as a change on next renewal date? Or is there a bug I overlooked?

=aw

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertQc wrote:

How about a $30 or even a $35 promotion. Its always $40+

Where is the 90 day plan love?

How about instead of throwing data around they offer a $10 unlimited Canada-wide with full texting. Keep the add-ons but even add a texting add-on for completeness.

ottawa

@stonechucker wrote:

@will13am, I am sure.  I've attempted multiple times sending the offer text to 5130 - no response.

Maybe I just don't use enough data to be considered.

Not likely, unused data is the most profitable. 🙂 As my mother used to say (about Coleman's mustard), "Mr. Coleman makes his money from what people leave on the plate".

=aw

billychan08
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Does anyone know how long is the offer for?

Thanks

ottawa

@will13am wrote:

Seeing that this is a low cost alternative, the hot promo would be something of a lower price, say $25/1.5GB, $30/2.5GB or $35/3.5GB which fits nicely with the current $40/4.5GB deal.  

I agree those would be good, but I think the goal is to move people _up_ in revenue not down. 🙂 I was going from $30/500MB to $35/1GB but was not interested in $40/2GB, because my usage was almost always <1GB (on my previous grandfathered plan) with a little caution and a data add-on would be cheaper. 

But when $40/4GB was offered, it was worth $5 as it let me change my behaviour to really not caring. 🙂 I'm happy with $40/4.5GB and won't jump to $45/6GB. My needs have a potential to change, but I'd probably go with $50/6.5GB+(Canada-US) and not $50/8GB+(Canada-wide).

Bravo to PM for continuing to compete.

=aw

ottawa

@Effort wrote:

Not as great as Koodo offer because you'll need to work for the rewards to lower the price to Koodo's base price.

It's good for me (though I'm not everyone of course, and not sure I'll switch from $40/4.5GB, this is only another 0.5GB more than $45 plan before), I get $3/mo for Loyalty ($4 starting Dec) and $2 for Autopay, so I'd be at $40/6GB or $35/4.5GB. Plus I've got 2 Refer-a-Friend rewards and potential Community rewards, though neither of those is guaranteed. Plus I have the option to pay for only 10mo/yr if I'm away for an extended period (again not everyone can benefit from this).

The $50 plan is more interesting, with a bigger bump from 6.5GB to 8GB, though note there's still a DIY $50 plan in Plan Builder that's 6.5GB of 3G and includes unlimited calls from Canada to US. PM has an impressive lineup of 3G-data-rich plans now:

$40/4.5GB

$45/6GB

$50/8GB

$50/6.5GB+(calls to US)

=aw

Yuric27

Just switched my plan great deal!!

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

And again no love for LTE promos Smiley Frustrated. Looks like this one will also lead to migration to koodo. 

@popping wrote:

I will switch my $45/5.5GB plan to $45/6GB plan on my next renewal date.  I am hoping that plan change to a plan with the same dollor amount will renew fine. 

On second thought, I think I will do the plan change one day before my next due date.  I don't want to wait for a week to restore service.

Will the scheduled plan change on the next renewal date be cancelled if I change plan before my renewal date?

I have never seem or heard of any discussion of keeping the future date option on while early renewing.  I would imagine that it should cancel.  It is easier just to turn it off.  I would not worry about failure to renew.  You know the problems when going to a lower priced plan.  Being informed, you know how to work around the issue. 

cappaj

@srlawren wrote:

@RobertQc PM seems to be shying away from the 90 day plans.  I think they are finding new customers get confused by the duration and it's harder for people to compare to other monthly plans at other providers.  This is all speculation but recent behaviour of including Canada-wide talk for no extra cost on 30 day plans and changing the pricing so that it's almost never cheaper to get a 90 day plan even if you only want province-wide calling and also running promos only on 30 day plans really seem to back up this theory.

Also, I know if I was a customer on a 90 day plan but considering taking up a Koodo migration offer at some point, I'd switch to a 30 day plan asap. A lot of people finding out that they JUST renewed 90 days but want to switch to Koodo - so they lose a lot of that prepaid money.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@RobertQc PM seems to be shying away from the 90 day plans.  I think they are finding new customers get confused by the duration and it's harder for people to compare to other monthly plans at other providers.  This is all speculation but recent behaviour of including Canada-wide talk for no extra cost on 30 day plans and changing the pricing so that it's almost never cheaper to get a 90 day plan even if you only want province-wide calling and also running promos only on 30 day plans really seem to back up this theory.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@popping, I had no problem with the same length, same dollar amount change previously.  You should be good to schedule the plan change now.  I was on the $120 90 day plan back in 2016 before the 2016 Promo came out.  It was a smooth transition.

How about a $30 or even a $35 promotion. Its always $40+

Where is the 90 day plan love?

@popping wrote:

Will the scheduled plan change on the next renewal date be cancelled if I change plan before my renewal date?

Yes! You can also cancel a scheduled plan change anytime 😉

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Need Help? Let's chat.