cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plan updates + new $10 limited talk and text plan!

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Update as of June 19, 2018: This post has been updated to provide additional clarity that leaving a voicemail message uses minutes. 

Update as of June 11, 2018: This post has been updated to rectify that call forwarding counts toward your plan’s minutes.

Update as of May 4, 2018: This is no longer a limited time offer. 

Hey Community,

We recently completed a pricing review and wanted to let you know that you will be seeing some changes to our 3G pricing, effective today.

Our goal is to provide our customers with simple plans that provide great value. You can check out all the new pricing on our website, but at a high level, the big thing to note is that our Canada-wide talk, text, and 3G-speed data plans are now more competitive. Great news for anyone traveling within Canada this summer!

Additionally, we are introducing a new limited time $10 30-day limited talk and text plan.This plan is available for new and existing customers and includes:

• 50 minutes of Canada-wide Talk
  • 50 International Outgoing Texts and Unlimited Incoming Texts and Picture Messages
  • Voicemail and Call Display

Note, checking your voicemail will use your minutes. Since this is the first time we have offered a ‘limited’ plan since we re-launched the brand, we’ve included FAQs on how this will work  in the spoiler below.

-Public Mobile Community Team

Spoiler

FAQs

Question

Answer

How long will this plan be in market?

This is a limited time offer and is subject to change without notice. Please refer to Public Mobile’s Service Terms.  Please note that the promotion will not be honoured after it has ended. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online, are in-transit and not yet activated.

What does and does not use my minutes?

Uses Minutes

Doesn’t Use Minutes

• Making a call
  • Answering a call
  • Retrieving or leaving voicemail messages
  • Using call forwarding
  • Calling *611 (the IVR)
  • Making or receiving calls from 911
  • Using calling apps when connected to Wifi

What is the maximum length of one text message?

A text message contains 160 characters; longer texts are broken down into 160 character segments. Each segment is counted as one text message.

Will you notify me when I’m almost out of text messages or minutes?

Yes, you will get an SMS message from Public Mobile when you have 10 outgoing texts left or 10 minutes left in your plan.

If I don’t have any minutes left, but I have a voicemail message, how do I check my voicemail?

There are two ways you can check your voicemail.

1. From a landline or another mobile phone, dial your 10-digit phone number and press the * key to interrupt the system greeting. From here, you may need enter your voicemail password.
  2. You can purchase a long distance Add-On such as the 200 minutes Add-On that allows you to call to Canada and the US for $8. Note, the minutes in the Add-On will rollover to your next billing cycle.

Do I have to purchase a Long Distance Add-On to get more than 50 minutes?

Yes, you need a Long Distance Add-On to get more minutes added to your plan. If you often use more than 50 minutes per 30 days, we recommend one of our plans with unlimited talk.

I’ve run out of outgoing text messages included in my plan. What are my options to keep sending text messages?

We do not offer an Add-On for text messaging. We suggest you try one of our plans with unlimited text messages included. You can select any of our other Ready-Made Plans or build your own plan using our calculator.

If you like your limited talk and text plan, you can wait until your next billing cycle or you can renew your plan early.

Why is a text Add-On not being offered?

This is the first time we have introduced a plan with limited Talk and Text, so, to-date, there hasn’t been a need for a Text Add-On. Depending on demand and market changes, we may introduce a Text Add-On in the future; however this is not available at this time.

If I purchase a Long Distance Add-On, will my calls use up my Add-On minutes or my in-plan minutes?

Making a Call to someone in Canada

Making a Call to someone outside of Canada

Answering a Call from Anywhere in the World

In Canada

Will use plan minutes, before Long Distance Add-On minutes.

Requires Long Distance Add-On. The Long Distance countries we support can be found here.   

Will use plan minutes, before Long Distance Add-On minutes

In U.S.

Requires a U.S. Roaming Add-On with talk included.

Requires a U.S. Roaming Add-On with talk included. Aside from calls to Canada, you will only be able to make calls to people in the U.S. and its territories.

Requires a U.S. Roaming Add-On with talk included. You will only be able to receive calls from people in Canada or the US and its territories.  

If you purchase a Long Distance Add-On and you’re calling in Canada, your call will use your in-plan minutes first.

If you purchase a Long Distance Add-On and you’re calling outside of Canada, your call will use your Long Distance Add-On minutes (as long as the location you’re calling is accessible through your Long Distance Add-On).

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans. 

302 REPLIES 302

pckku
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

This is the great plan and I am happy finally PM is listening to the needs of those casual users. Please tell me if I am able to opt for the 90 days term for this $10 per 30 days plan, in this way, perhaps I can also take advantage of the $2 rebate for automatic payment option.  Thanks

chandlerparsons
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@canucks4life wrote:

Just a warning for anyone activating this plan on an iPhone if you have iCloud or iMessage enabled it will send requests out through short code 474663 which counts towards 50 outgoing SMS limit. Have since disabled iMessage and logged out iCloud so far it has stopped.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/outgoing-messages-to-474663/td-p/66707

Date/Time Call Type Originating # Destination # Originating Location Destination Location Duration Data Usage Usage Type Charge

28/04/2018 3:45Outgoing Text250718xxxx474663    Minutes$0.00
28/04/2018 3:04Outgoing Text250718xxxx474663    Minutes$0.00
28/04/2018 2:49Outgoing Text250718xxxx474663    Minutes$0.00

It's just a 1 time activation though, and sending and receiving FaceTime and iMessage only require wifi or data. Or you can just activate those before your plan renews just to be sure.

brent_liza
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The 10$ rebate would be credited within 72 hours. You’ll receive a text and will tell you to check your payment history and will show. With regards to plans please check on the website portion. If you’re looking for the credit for SIM card with referral from another pm user please see the main post which is on page one from Brooke I believe. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@canucks4life wrote:

Just a warning for anyone activating this plan on an iPhone if you have iCloud or iMessage enabled it will send requests out through short code 474663 which counts towards 50 outgoing SMS limit. Have since disabled iMessage and logged out iCloud so far it has stopped.

@canucks4life thanks for mentioning that.  Yet another reason to avoid iPhones, or avoid any plans with a tiny number of metered outbound text messages--or, ideally, both of the above.  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

nrg_svr

In the self-serve section, which of course, requires you are registered to be able to see it, but here's the screen shot for that below. It is also in this discussion: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Sharing-is-Caring-Refer-a-Friend-and-th...

.10_buck_sim_credit.jpg

Can you point me to where this is documented?

nrg_svr

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

..Is there some kind of credit you get back for purchasing the SIM 

If so, how do you get it and does it get applied to the account as credit?

Right now, and through May 10th, if you have been referred to Public Mobile and are inputting the referers phone # when you register a SIM (for any plan), you will receive a $10 credit in your account after activation... it will make your second payment $10 (+ tax) lower than it would have otherwise been. 

There was another recent promo where you received credit for the SIM if you activated at a Wal-Mart. This new promo is more in keeping with the less for less idea in my opinion, and I am glad to see it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pm-smayer97, I believe the $10 SIM 'rebate' was part of another recent promo.

EDIT:  The $10 promo was a time limited promo, not tied to a specific plan.

I'm trying to get this clear. Have searched but cannot find answer...Is there some kind of credit you get back for purchasing the SIM?

If so, how do you get it and does it get applied to the account as credit?

TIA.

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/outgoing-messages-to-474663/td-p/66707

Date/Time Call Type Originating # Destination # Originating Location Destination Location Duration Data Usage Usage Type Charge

28/04/2018 3:45Outgoing Text250718xxxx474663    Minutes$0.00
28/04/2018 3:04Outgoing Text250718xxxx474663    Minutes$0.00
28/04/2018 2:49Outgoing Text250718xxxx474663    Minutes$0.00

srlawren

@Jonavin wrote:

@will13am wrote:

You should pick the Fido tablet plan as the example.  It's $15 for 3GB.  With loyalty offer, isit free, including tablet write down.

You need a phone line with Fido to get this now. Used to be tha you could get this without a Fiod line. You can always sign up for one month to get this and cancel, if that still works.

@Jonavin some people have reported success getting the table plan without an existing Fido line, by going to a 3rd party retailer rather than an actual Fido retail location.  I believe @mimmo is one such lucky customer.

@will13am that loyalty promo isn't available any more.  I corresponeded with a Fido service rep on April 9th to get that on my tablet line, and they informed me that was the last day it was being offered.  But even at the full $15 it's still pretty amazing deal of $5/GB.  I'd dare say unbeatable in the Canadian market for data-only, full speed, no zones, etc.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Jonavin

@will13am wrote:

@koimr1 wrote:

@Luddite wrote:

@dna2016 Don't think these data only plans are even intended to be useful. More likely they meet some CRTC requirement.

How could anyone want 600 meg of LTE data, when 500 meg of 3G data WITH calling/texting is cheaper! It's hilarious. Robot LOL

You win!

Here are Rogers, Telus and Bell’s low-cost data-only plan proposals

In March the CRTC requested the major telcoms submit proprosals for low-cost data-only plans after denying wifi-first MVNOs from using their infrastructure, I guess as some kind of compromise.

This reminds of when the CRTC mandated that cable companies provide low-cost "per-channel" pricing - they did but it was pretty much useless if you wanted to actually use it as-is and turned out to be even pricier if you wanted to rent the cable boxes, etc.

You should pick the Fido tablet plan as the example.  It's $15 for 3GB.  With loyalty offer, isit free, including tablet write down.

You need a phone line with Fido to get this now. Used to be tha you could get this without a Fiod line. You can always sign up for one month to get this and cancel, if that still works.

brent_liza

I just got this plan for my grandma. It’s 8.00$ with auto pay per month plus I got the referral of 1$ on my account. The 10$ credit came overnight for the SIM card. It’s practially free the first month 🙂

@koimr1 wrote:

@Luddite wrote:

@dna2016 Don't think these data only plans are even intended to be useful. More likely they meet some CRTC requirement.

How could anyone want 600 meg of LTE data, when 500 meg of 3G data WITH calling/texting is cheaper! It's hilarious. Robot LOL

You win!

In March the CRTC requested the major telcoms submit proprosals for low-cost data-only plans after denying wifi-first MVNOs from using their infrastructure, I guess as some kind of compromise.

This reminds of when the CRTC mandated that cable companies provide low-cost "per-channel" pricing - they did but it was pretty much useless if you wanted to actually use it as-is and turned out to be even pricier if you wanted to rent the cable boxes, etc.

nrg_svr

I just read through most of this thread, and I do have to agree with the general sentiment of allowing 90 day options, which is great for three reasons:

1) Gives the customer a 'bucket' to draw from. That one heavy travel month uses more texts and minutes than the other two 'light use' months, and the overall 90 day allotment covers all the use. (This is actually why I WILL NOT switch to Koodo - I use the bucket of 6 gb of 4G over 90 days differently each month....)

2) For those likely ot pay with vouchers - it means less visiting and less time when a plan can become suspended. I am pretty sure suspended accounts tick renough people off that they leave.... yes, even if their own fault!

3) Someone else mentioned better retention and commitment to PM... arguable, prepaying for 90 days gives a very small amount of money to the PM bank account 'in advance', but nothing to really take into account as it's not a material difference. But the 90 day commitment, may well turn into better loyalty given # 1 and 2, and anything that improves the customer loyalty to a brand is indeed good.

nrg_svr

Got one of the landline numbers ported today for friend number one.

So with auto-pay enabled, he now has an $8 a month plan which he can call forward to his phone of choice. (He doesn't want to give up the number, nor make it his everyday phone number... the reason for that is it's in Abbotsford and landline callers to his cell would be paying long distance if it were his cell #! I know, complicated....)

In theory, I guess with loyalty rewards, this will go down over time just like any other plan?

All in-market plans as of January 27, 2015 are eligible for Rewards except for the 10-day plans that are not eligible for Rewards. Plans offered during between May 9, 2014 and January 27, 2015 are no longer in market and not eligible for Rewards.

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Luddite wrote:

You win!

srlawren

@dna2016 the data-only plans have been available for years but are -- as is this one -- ridiculously expensive.  Just go to the plans page, build your own plan, select no talk, no text, and pick a data amount.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

dna2016

True @srlawren, I hear ya, guess they can't be the cheapest on everything, or competitive in this case (in regards to the data only plans).  But I believe this is their first time having data only plans, maybe they're just "testing the waters".  Maybe they're waiting for enough customers to voice their dislike first, lol.

Also guessing as a company you wouldn't want to price your data only plans too low, because then you'll have many customers like myself drop the voice and text portion immediately and only use services like WhatsApp and Skype.  It'll probably hurt the company quite a bit to price their data only plans too low.    

nrg_svr

This is a fairly interesting plan - I have a couple people with landlines in Abbotsford BC which for whatever reason, are not able to be ported into voip.ms

They just use the #'s to call forward to their cells and are reluctant to get rid of the numbers

Seeing as call forwarding doesn't use the minutes up, this would be an awesome plan for them so they can dump their other lines and cut costs...

srlawren

@dna2016 wrote:

Really liking these new price points and data only options.  to me they seem very competitive compared to the rest of the Canadian market.  Also glad to see PM introduce an emergency type plan for $10, I think it's great for seniors and kids.  Good to see more variety and options available for us consumers.

@dna2016 600 MB for $35 seems good to you?  "Only" $58 per GB! EDIT: with no other services, either.  Just data.  An average of 20MB a day.  

dna2016

Really liking these new price points and data only options.  to me they seem very competitive compared to the rest of the Canadian market.  Also glad to see PM introduce an emergency type plan for $10, I think it's great for seniors and kids.  Good to see more variety and options available for us consumers.

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Still had an extra SIM so decided to activate plan for my mother.

Once again a painful experience several errors/glitches in Firefox had to use Chrome incognito mode...nice to see some things just don't change Cat Indifferent

pakmode2

@Korth wrote:

I think this plan is brilliant.  PM figured out a way to deliver basic service for $10/month ... even if it means counting minutes (something that's just not done at PM, lol).

Many people are apprehensive about joining PM.

"I've never heard of them", they say.

Or "I've read a lot of complaints about them", they say after a little googling around.

But ya just can't go far wrong spending ten bucks - without signing any contracts or submitting anything more than an email address.  Especially if you also catch one of PM's various $10 signup incentives (although technically these are invariably credited to your account and wouldn't save you money until your second month at PM, lol).

And $10/month is cheaper than any other plan in Canada (except perhaps 7-Eleven/Rogers SpeakOut - although PM's plan does work out "cheaper" than SpeakOut if you use most of your 50-minutes every billing cycle).  Attractive to people who want or need (or hardly use) basic phone service at minimum possible cost.

Upgrading to one of PM's "unlimited" ($20 or $25) Talk/Text plans is just one small step away.

Agreed.  It's a great plan and is only $8 a month if you register your credit card on the site for Autopay.  For anybody sitting on the fence - get off it and join Public Mobile before this offer gets pulled.

I think this plan is brilliant.  PM figured out a way to deliver basic service for $10/month ... even if it means counting minutes (something that's just not done at PM, lol).

Many people are apprehensive about joining PM.

"I've never heard of them", they say.

Or "I've read a lot of complaints about them", they say after a little googling around.

But ya just can't go far wrong spending ten bucks - without signing any contracts or submitting anything more than an email address.  Especially if you also catch one of PM's various $10 signup incentives (although technically these are invariably credited to your account and wouldn't save you money until your second month at PM, lol).

And $10/month is cheaper than any other plan in Canada (except perhaps 7-Eleven/Rogers SpeakOut - although PM's plan does work out "cheaper" than SpeakOut if you use most of your 50-minutes every billing cycle).  Attractive to people who want or need (or hardly use) basic phone service at minimum possible cost.

Upgrading to one of PM's "unlimited" ($20 or $25) Talk/Text plans is just one small step away.

luckee7

Incoming is free. You get 50 outgoing texts then once they are used up you are blocked to send anymore until your month is up.

emmaemmaemma
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Is unlimited incoming text messages just that ? would you have to pay for outgoing text messages ? 

cq17
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Always good to see some new promotions rolling out. 

srlawren

@featherland wrote:

This is actually a good plan offered by PM for younger school kids or elderly people who need to get in touch with their immediate family members in case of emergency situation. With autopay this plan is under 10 dollars a month. Great and I will sign up for my parents

@featherland just one thing to consider for either of those demographics (younger kids, elderly people) is the community-based support model.  

Need Help? Let's chat.