Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PROMO: $35 2GB Plan Limited Time Offer

Tiana_V
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community, 

Starting May 12th, 2020 our current promotion of 500MB of bonus data on the $35 plan will be available in Self-Serve, meaning it is available for existing customers. This will be available for a limited time. 

What does this mean for you? 

For a limited time, existing customers can change their rate plan to the following:

• $35 per 30 days
  • 1GB + 500MB BONUS data at 3G speeds (per 30 days)
  • 500MB BONUS data when you sign up for auto-pay (per 30 days)
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • Unlimited International Text

Important things to know: 

• Bonus data will expire if account becomes inactive or the rate plan is changed
  • Previous promotions that have been applied to the account that have been indicated as ‘non-stackable’ will be removed when you switch to this plan. To see if a promotion you currently have applied to your account is ‘non-stackable’ please check the terms of that specific promotion. 
  • If you are already on the $35 plan and would like to receive the bonus data, you will have to switch your plan in Self-Serve

How to get this offer: 

1.Log in on Self Serve

2.Go to “Plan and Add-ons”

3.Select “Change Plan”

4.Select the ready-made plan “$35 for 1.5GB + 500 MB AutoPay Bonus”. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

- The Public Mobile Team

313 REPLIES 313

@rentme1987 are you currently speaking with a mod? I would create a new ticket through SIMon if you haven't heard a response in a while

TMS
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@rentme1987 

What I find the most disturbing about PM is purchasing a SIM card. Walmart is a joke if you want to activate yourself. Sure, you can order online, but you still wouldn’t receive the SIM until the next day at the earliest. Wow Mobile have been a bit better. PM needs to give Telus stores supply so they can sell to customers. 

rentme1987
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have tried to port my number from Freedom (1 line) to Public Mobile since yesterday. Nothing happened yet. 

If this is Chatr, Lucky or any other carriers with customer services support,  it would be done on spot. 

There are certainly group of people who likes savings from Public Mobile, but I suspect this would be in very minority. Otherwise, you can’t explain why Telus’s prepaid subscriber count aren’t increase at rapid rate. 

With referrals,  you would only get discount when referees stay with Public Mobile. I would be very sad when some of them decide to leave PM. I also would have to find other person. 

rentme1987

I have had Lucky before I migrate to Virgin Mobile. It is LTE throttled to 3G speeds. Depends on where you live, Telus and Bell pretty much use same tower. I believe if you are located in Ontario, it would be Bell’s tower. 

I don’t find Lucky and Public Mobile differs much. 

@rentme1987 

it really depends on your needs... if you need all the bells and whistles, then yes, lucky and chatr look more appealing, but if you want raw phone bill savings than no provider compares to pm.

• yes, there are people that need that type of support, especially if they have a hard time with technology. 
  • I was with virgin and after receiving the Christmas $60/10gb plan all the top carriers were offering in 2018 they kept raising the price $5 every year
  • if you're a really good salesperson, handing out referrals is pretty easy. especially if you have lots of family, friends and co-workers. it makes a big difference if you understand the service, then you actually become their customer support.

its a good opportunity for you to learn how to manage and navigate the service. youre right though, in the end, most customers won't be doing all this work and just want a reliable service. it all comes down to the consumers needs. I have never relied on auto-pay and just manually top up and since I've been at pm I haven't had my service interrupted

TMS

I just looked at the plans over at Lucky Mobile’s website. They are on par with Public Mobile’s. With the loyalty, PM wins. 👍

@gpixel 

That was a targeted text offer to those on the $25 plan to get 3gb for $35 if you had been a customer for at least 45 days. I believe if you scheduled a plan change from the $15 to the $25 by the end of the month you could generate the text offer to be sent to your phone. You then had to text YES35 by the date specified.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@TMS yes they have a $10 referral reward for every customer you refer. PM's reoccurring $1 reward is much better imo

if I can. remember correctly public had a promo for users on the $15 and $25 plans a couple months ago and you were able to upgrade to $35/3gb or was it $30/3gb? 

TMS

I just ventured over to Lucky’s website. Did Public Mobile copy Lucky Mobile’s flash sale?

6161A325-1D4E-4004-80B6-FDFA54131892.jpeg

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Community/The-Community-s-Public-Mobile-Wishlist/m-p/...

@TMS 

What add on would you like to see? Some would like to see a texting add on for older plans with limited texting. Put it on the community's wishlist you never know it might come true!

TMS

@Colinh90 

How did you find Lucky Mobile’s service overall?  They use the same towers, I believe, as Public Mobile. Does their data work well? Is it throttled LTE or 3G? There’s a call centre, which is nice, but they don’t have any loyalty perks or referral perks, or do they?

Colinh90
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

ive had LTE with virgin, i did one of those Lucky to Virgin migration plans and honestly, it wasn't any better than 

Luckys throttled 3g speeds, and there is hardly a difference in speed  between Publics throttled 3g speeds  and Virgin's LTE... for every day usage, and even playing minecraft, there hasn't been a diff. 

TMS

@darlicious 

Agreed. 👍 I don’t care for full LTE or being migrated to Koodo. I, like many others, just want to have a decent plan and reliable service for a reasonable price. The perks here with PM are decent. I wonder if they can be topped by one of the other companies or made even better by PM? The add ons also  should be revamped too. There are 7 of them available for US roaming. Since very few of us (if any at all) are not travelling to the US now or in the near future, the amount of add ons available are only 5 that we could purchase. 

@rentme1987 

Im like @AE_Collector although both accounts are mine....one with the $15 plan and the other on the grandfathered $10 50/50 plan ($0 after 60 days). My 1st loyalty reward kicked in today and next month for my second account and that will make it $0 as well. The opportunity to earn extra referral bonuses, provide feedback for add ons, enter contests for amazon gift cards, data add ons, even a year of service once last year and free gifts of data and calling add ons make waiting on hold and migration plans and 128kbps pale in comparison.

@rentme1987 

Presumably there is a great difference in rewards people receive. But as long as you do autopay, 5 years after joining PM you have $7/month discount even if on a $15 plan. That seems almost unheard of to me. My wife and I are both on the $15 plans and both plans are free to us through Autopay, 1 years loyalty and friend referrals.

AE_Collector

rentme1987

To be honest, I have difficulty to justify to join Public Mobile. There really isn’t any special about Public Mobile. 

While it seems that Public Mobile’s offer is exactly same as Chatr or Lucky Mobile, but other two has two bigger advantages: 

1) Both Chatr and Lucky Mobile offers call center while Public Mobile stuck with moderator model. To me at least, ability to talk with someone is huge. 

2) Both Chatr and Lucky Mobile offers migration offers to Fido/Virgin respectively. I am able to get 50 dollars with 8GB with Virgin. Public mobile offers none. It seems Telus doesn’t want people move to Koodo. 

3) I get some people love autopay bonus, referral bonus and forum contributions bonus. I feel most people aren’t really going around referring people. But that is advantage for Public Mobile.

I ended up with Public Mobile because I feel I should try PM.

No argument here that the $35/2Gb Public Mobile plan is the least “valuable” plan they offer. 

My daughter had Freedom in Coquitlam, part of Greater Vancouver and it was awful. She finally switched to Public Mobile in December which has worked far better for her. She is on the $50/8.5Gb plan so needs/uses a fair bit of data.

Including Freedom, Canada has 4 national Networks while the USA has only three. I never thought it was really do-able when Ottawa was punching for a fourth network which Freedom/Shaw stepped up to do. And I still dont think it is financially doable. The massive cost of building and maintaining a network For 1/10th the US population doesn’t fit with Overall low prices.

AE_Collector

rentme1987

Look, I am not Freedom cheer leader, I have I just ported one of my Freedom line to Public Mobile today.

But, I still keep one line with Freedom, 65GB with 20GB data and iPhone SE. I am going to say this, I am located in Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge area, Freedom works great in this area and I am travelling a lot within Ontario. Sure, there is no service in some rural areas, but they also have Nation-Wide coverage which will roam to big-three tower.

What I have to say is with big three and their flanker brand, there is no real choice. Sure, public mobile along with Chatr and Lucky mobile offers some decent plan, but $35 dollar for 2GB is nowhere near good.

My main number will be on Public Mobile with 15 dollar plan just for call and text, my Freedom mobile will be on my e-SIM which will be used  as data.

@rentme1987 wrote:

I guess this is matching offer from Chatr or Lucky Mobile. I guess public mobile can do better, especially when Freedom Mobile offers $29 dollar prepaid plan with 3GB LTE data. 

This is why my wife ported out from Public Mobile to Freedom today.

Well building and maintaining a robust network costs a huge amount of money and Freedom is nowhere near having accomplished that. Thus they can easily offer lower monthly plans on a lower cost network. It works satisfactorily for some depending on their location and if they don't move around much. If much moving around is done it may become much more trouble than the savings are worth.

AE_Collector

@Colinh90 

Ditto.....thats why i left....im in vancouver slightly up the hill from the downtown core.....you?

Colinh90
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

despite living in a city centre, Freedom isn't reliable to me,  I got in trouble at work because they couldn't get a hold of me alot of the time, they had a meeting with me told me that this cannot happen anymore.. whenever  my friends  texted me the messages wouldn't go through most of the time.. Sometimes they came in very late or not at all. Sure the plans are kinda crap But at least it's very reliable... 

rentme1987

I guess this is matching offer from Chatr or Lucky Mobile. I guess public mobile can do better, especially when Freedom Mobile offers $29 dollar prepaid plan with 3GB LTE data. 

This is why my wife ported out from Public Mobile to Freedom today.

TMS

@AE_Collector 

“Not sure if everyone sees your reply as I do, 3 or 4 letters in width and a few hundred feet long“

I used iPhone with GChrome to reply. I had to copy and paste your quote. 😕

I find this forum a little flaky compared to others. (Hopefully PM fix this forum too) lol 😂 

F0487ECE-F449-46B6-995F-EB17B199015B.jpegD632560A-DA5C-4434-8977-7A6DD613426A.jpeg

Not sure if everyone sees your reply as I do, 3 or 4 letters in width and a few hundred feet long. I tried quoting it and it looked proper to me until I post it. Pictures of your reply instead....

I agree, not likely to happen at this time. Makes perfect sense just like fixing many of the little (and big) glitches Around here would make sense. But, its part of the third tier experience. 

We were told of BiG things coming this year at PM but dont know how much of it was derailed by Covid 19.

AE_Collector

TMS

@AE_Collector 

I understand the online only assistance and the limitation of “3G like speeds”. And maybe even the limitation to 8.5Gb maximum Data plans. The parent Company wants us to move up if any of these conditions are unacceptable to us. Yes... marketing. Now maybe the limitation of selection of plans fits in there too but in my mind that isn’t quite the same. Adding logical Steps from $25, $30, $35, $40, $45 & $50 with these plans all being the same other than the amount of data and combining this with the existing ability to easily switch plans monthly if desired seems like a great marketing plan to me. Since PM does NOT offer the heavily throttled unlimited data, a good selection of plan sizes seems like the best way to offer plans here.

AE_Collector

I was thinking of your post above and I don’t think this will ever happen. PM will never make the first move and bring these plans you mentioned to us. Your post makes sense to all of us here, but, I believe, Telus doesn’t care to give us many options. They want us to have slim pickings and choose what is available or, like you mentioned, move up to Koodo.

Telus seems to have purchased PM to compete with the other 3rd tiers.  They seem to follow and only ever match the plans of those of the other 3rd tier companies. Hopefully Telus changes their way and lead the way with some plans that are miraculously incredible. I just can’t bet too much on this happening. Not in the near future anyhow. 

TMS

@kselmak 

Look into Fido $10 for 4GB and get Acrobits if using iPhone (Zoiper if Android), and get voip.ms. A much much better experience overall. 👍

TMS

@gpixel 

Yes. How could I forget TextNow’s OVERadvertising. Lol

I like Fongo. Anyone looking to get into voip is best to start with Fongo. However, I do prefer the control over the many options with voip.ms. Just amazing once you get using it. No cellular company can offer all of what voip.ms offers. The only thing the cellular company has, over voip.ms, is reliably/quality of calls, but I can get by. 🙂

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@TMS 

I have no problem using their app as long as I turn off elastic calling, otherwise calls drop like crazy.

But the deal that they have us for data, if you purchase their sim you get unlimited calls and texts and 2 gigs of data for $20, unlimited for $40 (with fup which is 32 gigs as I understand)

You don't have to use their calling up.

With fongo from what I see the only difference is that off you use their calling app is eating into your data, while TextNow didn't. But again you can use any other calling app, the goodies are affordable data. Fongo is 20 for 2 gigs and 10 per gig overage

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@TMS I agree, my phone's battery heats up and gets destroyed with the app installed. I figure from the massive amounts of advertising all over the place... 

TMS

@kselmak 

TextNow will have to offer a better app for iPhones and Androids. Their app was the most horrible thing in regards to reliability. Fongo was many times better, but not perfect. Acceptable though!

i use Voip.ms coupled with Acrobits softphone on an iPhone. Groundwire is great too! This is a much better option, but there is definitely a learning curve involved. 

Need Help? Let's chat.