Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Open Issue] Trouble using iMessage & FaceTime Features

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We are aware that some of you are currently unable to successfully use iMessage and or FaceTime features,  and we understand how frustrating this can be. Our teams are working diligently to find the cause. 

In the meantime, please try troubleshoot steps:
Tap Settings > General > Transfer or Reset [Device] > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and will continue to keep you updated. 

Thank you,

• Public Mobile Team
84 REPLIES 84

@Ken-Hello wrote:

This was posted a month ago. Is it still not resolved? I can't connect to iMessage or receive or send any SMS!

@Ken-Hello 

This issue should be fixed  now.  

See the following announcement that was done today:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Solved-Text-Message-Issues-for-Recently-P...

I believe that the iMessage and Facetime issue was due to the inability for customers to send/receive texts (after recently porting from another company to Public mobile).  

agorrie
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Totally agree.  Based on my research, it’s a problem with PM communicatiing with our iPhones.  There’s a US discount provider that has the same problem.   Are they keeping their servers up-to-date?    See my full-caps for what I see as the issue.  My fix is only a workaround and subject to network changes or other variables.  

fixin1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Ken-Hello - They need to do a fix period of time with the CORE network, not My Account. It will basically cut all of out service off for a couple hours - should have wi-fi calling if they have that ever and they can do a full refresh and hopefully those bugs will flat out.

Or have the RAN network be disabled in a specific zone / province over a consecutive couple of days.

Ken-Hello
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This was posted a month ago. Is it still not resolved? I can't connect to iMessage or receive or send any SMS!

agorrie

Okay gang, I got this one figured out. This may be a solution for most of us.

The issue is the error "iMessage Activation An error occurred during activation. Try again."   THIS ERROR IS WHAT PUBLIC MOBILE NEEDS TO FIX.  However, this error can be incorrect sometimes. Bear with me, I'll explain.  The error is confusing people into thinking it's an error when their phones are actually working.    It confused me.  

If you leave the error, after a few minutes, the Messages list may change.   It will now appear with your phone number unchecked and your email with a check mark.   From what I have seen, you can send/receive texts in this mode.  I repeat, if you get your number without a check and your email with a check after the error, it may work.    And not just blue messages, both blue and green messages.  Yes, as long as you have a tick by your@email.address the green and blue texts will work.   Test it yourself and let me know via chat.  

In summary, an unchecked phone number with a checked email for Messages is okay.    It still bothers me but it works.  

At this point you can turn FaceTime on and it will present an error as well, but since Messages works, FT will as well.   I found I had to close FT via swipe up.   The error messages won't quit until you close it.  

Some tips that may help ensure your phone can work under these conditions:
[Number Porting]
If you are doing an activation but encounter this problem. Ensure incoming calls and mobile data work. Ie, check the internet with just LTE/5G. If your data doesn't work you may need to get you number ported again if that applies.

[(i)Messages/FaceTime]
Shut off FaceTime till you have things working. It's unnecessary until Messages is working and you will have to close the settings app if you stuck in an error loop.
Before you try anything below, make sure both Messages and FaceTime are shut off.

[Phone Number]
The PM support recommend using a 10-digit number with 1. Ie, 1(250)867-5309. Not sure if a '+' makes a difference but you many need that if you call internationally.

[Network Reset/Login+out/Shutdown]
I've found a network reset works (not factory) which resets the network info and forces a restart. I've also logged out then back into Apple/iCloud and that seems to reset something. Even a SIM card eject and/or full shutdown may work.

Hope this helps,
Andrew

PS, if you are getting mobile data and in/out calls, it's not the SIM card.  

agorrie

I agree, it's certainly a PM issue.   Not getting a new SIM.   Doubt it will fix the problem.  

fixin1

@agorrie - It isn't an Apple issue, PM's issue. I don't know why it is an issue as it is in the backend of PM's end and I am not an employee, but if you don't want to buy a SIM card again you may want to ask for a re-provision and ask if it will work. If they say NO, then go with the latter option, they should credit you.

Some have reported success in getting a new SIM card with this issue.

And at first when this issue arose on the week of April Fools I told people to contact Apple and to no avail... Apple said that it isn't their issue, it is your mobile carrier.

agorrie

I skeptical it's actual SIM card.    Everything else works.    Why just Messages?     

My take is something is broken in their activation process and getting a new SIM may trigger a real reset that Apple Messages needs.     Just a guess.  

Andrew

fixin1

@agorrie - If they say so, then you may do it.

The SIM may be a faulty one due to that sometimes they can be finicky to use, maybe damaged in shipping or damaged in the production lineup.

agorrie

Just to add to the chorus I have the same problem:

1. iPhone 13 Pro

2. Physical SIM card

3. Tried Network reset, login/out of Apple and full shutdown.      It just doesn't register. 

4. I ported my number from Chatr Mobile.   Had to do it twice.  

After opening a ticket, they've suggested I order a new physical SIM card.     Will that solve my issue or is some setting in my iPhone?  

amsathamid

Does this also relate to SMS not being received by my contacts? 

Cradcliffe

Hang tight… two days later, it was fixed. Ironically I got a call from Bell today asking me to come back and offered a competitive offer I didn’t think existed for Bell! If PM doesn’t work, make a call to your current provider and ask them to match! I’m going to stay with PM for now but feeling a bit leery of what else might break…

Cradcliffe

I asked for Silvio, begged for Silvio… but sadly, didn’t get him. After 24 hrs I could receive texts but not send from my ported number and then this morning it’s was fixed. Thank-god. I can’t believe how much I rely on texting for coordination each day! 

MichaelYu

From my own experience, you may have to wait for at least 48 hours if the agent assigned to your ticket really 🙈 take care of his business. I am lucky to have the second ticket assigned to Silvio_M, he solved my problem on last Sunday!

Belfast

I have not received any responses to the ticket I submitted hours ago.  I too am regretting making this switch.

Cradcliffe

This issue continues to lead to dead ends for me. I've had a ticket submitted and replies from the CS Agent troubleshooting with various resets and the problem still exists. They told me they've shared everything they can and now I need to wait 24hrs. When I suggested that is not ok, I can't be without messaging service for that long, I was told it has been assigned a ticket number and will get reviewed possibly with 72hrs. This doesn't sound good to me and really makes me regret switching!! 

FOM

Hello everyone,

My wife and I ported our numbers from Rogers to Public and everything was fine. However, our iMessage were not working and forever looking for activation.

We opened a ticket via Get Help > Start a chat > Click on you are a customer > Login > I'm having trouble > Number transfer issue > Continue troubleshooting > Still not working > Contact us > Click here to submit a ticket

A new window will open.

Choose Service not working
Tick Text/ Picture Messaging > Hit Next
Answer the two questions (we selected No and Yes)
Fill in the fields and put your IMEI number (the one that is under your Public Mobile SIM or eSIM)

That's it. You may receive an email asking to restart your phone.
Both our phones started working in 20 minutes.

Cheers.

MichaelYu

Hello guys, my problem got solved after I submitted a ticket. The agent Silvio help me first after the ticket assigned to him, then I told him I had the the issue with my son's, I just told me son's number, he made that number work as well. Fantastic support from him. 

LozB

Hi Everyone! 

I wanted to give those still waiting on this issue an update based on my experience. 

I ported my number to PM on Saturday 20th April. The porting from my previous provider went through fine in < 2 hrs. I then encountered the issue all new customers are having with PM - I was not receiving text messages and had trouble with my iMessage. I was able to make and receive calls.

I submitted a ticket through my private messages on Saturday and received a message asking for additional information on Sunday. Make sure you let the CS_Agent know your phone number and some additional information such as the last 4 digits of a credit card (used for payment) as well as the date of the payment, your PM account number and the email address associated with the account. Once I provided this information it took 72 hours but I now have a working phone! PM have to refresh your network settings and then (like magic) your phone will work. 

I had initial troubles getting into my private messages. It was not obvious to me that you could receive the code to your email address. For anyone who is stuck in a loop with the 2FA sending you a text message that you are not receiving, simply click, I did not receive the code, and you can request the code to your email. 

Hopefully this issue gets resolved soon!

MichaelYu

10 days already, no text. Ticket opened for over 48hours, no response. 

j_rylott855

Sorry what is open with CS ? I am still having issues with messaging and would like a refresh. Thanks.

Mageebee

Hi I would suggest opening a ticket with customer support. 

Cav

resetting my network does nothing, really hope this gets fixed soon

RogerRam

In my case, it wasn't my device, the network setting or the sim card, but it required a system refresh. If you opened with CS, they will be able to assist you. 

Thomasin

I reset my network settings, and turn off my phone and turned it back on and it's still not working. Says my number on the messages tab says "Verifying" then a message pops up " An error occurred during activation".  

Mageebee

Yes, Everything on phone is working.  Can’t recall the error on the app regarding the eSIM.
He deleted his old eSIM and got a new eSIM to resolve his phone isssues on tech support advice   As I said now everything works just an error message on the app which tech support is working on 

RogerRam

As an update, PM CS agent did a refresh of the service which corrected the SMS problem.  

HI @Mageebee 

so, data, voice and text all work?

what error code on the app? can you login using browser?

Mageebee

They cancelled my husbands e-sim and he got another eSIM …then along with tech support over the phone it was resolved and the phone is fully working.  However they are still working on removing an error code on the app with that esim

Need Help? Let's chat.