cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Re: New Long Distance Add-Ons

@Spunx wrote:

I was given 1000 LD minutes reward.  How come I received a text message saying I only have 10 minutes left on my account?  

Hi @Spunx don't worry about it.  That is just an automatic reminder.  After you've used up all your Plan minutes, the bonus 1000 long-distance minutes will kick in.  Cheers!

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Spunx wrote:

I was given 1000 LD minutes reward.  How come I received a text message saying I only have 10 minutes left on my account?  

That's probably based on the number of minutes remaining in your base plan. Please go to selfserve.publicmobile.ca and check how many minutes are listed as left for your add-on.

Yes, that is exactly what it is. I get that notification all the time when using up base minutes. Nothing to worry about. And yes, you can confirm this by checking how many minutes are left in your base plan.

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

So you made it  more expensive! That's a shame. Why didn't you create another group of countries with 300 min and left 400 min alone?

Back to Skype for me. Now you ask 5c per minutes, Skype is 2.3c

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Nice!

Im loving Public Mobile more and more.👍

Not happy

used the  200 min US and Canada Long Distance add on.making very limited calls to the US,

so it's not worth it for my to get a US only add-on..

that is a 33 percent increase....

@swiss32 wrote:

Not happy

used the  200 min US and Canada Long Distance add on.making very limited calls to the US,

so it's not worth it for my to get a US only add-on..

I would present the argument that it's not worth it to pay anything for U.S. long distance, at least not when there are a bunch of ways to call regular U.S. phone numbers for free using the internet. I know that there is a bit of convenience factor using your regular phone service, and that there may be reliability differences, but with it being so easy to call the U.S. for free, I'm surprised that Public Mobile doesn't include it with all plans.

Mayor / Maire

@swiss32 

I get it that you would now need to put out $20 to buy the US ($15) & the Canada plans ($5) where as you only had to put out $8 before. BUT, instead of 200 minutes fir $8 you now get 1500 minutes for $20.  If you occasionally used this you logically already have the remaining portion which will remain unchanged until you use it up. Spring for the $5 500 minute Canada plan and then the remaining portion of your $8/200 minute plan will only be used for your calls to the US preserving it for a much longer time. I really don’t think this will break the bank and you will be set for a very long time. Make some lemonade out of this!

AE_Collector

Mayor / Maire

@computergeek541 wrote:
I would present the argument that it's not worth it to pay anything for U.S. long distance, at least not when there are a bunch of ways to call regular U.S. phone numbers for free using the internet. I know that there is a bit of convenience factor using your regular phone service, and that there may be reliability differences, but with it being so easy to call the U.S. for free, I'm surprised that Public Mobile doesn't include it with all plans.

The free VoIP methods all consume WiFi or cellular data. Different apps use different amounts of data - Skype uses roughly 875kb per minute (roughly 0.05GB per hour) - other apps use less, although their call audio quality suffers accordingly. Even the best calling quality of these apps (Skype) cannot match Telus "HD Voice" aka "Wideband Audio" calling quality, although the difference is often almost unnoticeable. Unless the VoIP call has bad IP routing which causes echoes or latencies or other weird artifacts, easily corrected by hanging up and dialing again.

Incidentally, these apps all need access to faster (symmetrical upload/download) data than the throttled "unlimited" data rates offered by Lucky, Chatr, or Freedom.

875kb per minute equates to roughly 1.25 cents per minute if you buy data at a flat $15 per GB. Less if you get that data included in your plan. More if that data is precious to you. And more if you're using roaming data, calling from USA to USA (or to Canada) for example.

Also, if it's not your home WiFi - it's connecting through a WAP at work or school or a public hotspot - then the WiFi owner sometimes (often?) configures things which limit VoIP calling, providing conditions which make the calls unreliable or unpleasant. Worth considering if you plan to use free WiFi to make your calls.

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I would like to check on how can I use the paid $15 for International calls. After I paid it and tried to call, it says that I don't have access for International call.

Appreciate your help on this.

Thank you.

Need Help? Let's chat.