Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW $70 for 15GB Plan

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

Starting June 17, 2021, we are introducing a new $70 15GB plan!

What does this mean for you? 

For a limited time, existing customers can change their rate plan to the following:

• $70 per 30 days
  • 15GB + 500MB BONUS data at 3G speed (per 30 days)
  • 500MB BONUS data when you sign up for AutoPay (per 30 days)
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk and U.S minutes
  • Unlimited International Text

Important things to know: 

• Bonus data will expire if account becomes inactive or the rate plan is changed.
  • Previous promotions that have been applied to the account that have been indicated as ‘non-stackable’ will be removed when you switch to this plan. To see if a promotion you currently have applied to your account is ‘non-stackable’ please check the terms of that specific promotion.

How to get this offer: 

1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the ready-made plan “$70 for 15GB + 500MB AutoPay Bonus”. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

To learn more about Public Mobile plans, click here.

- The Public Mobile Team

142 REPLIES 142

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@A1ex 

unfortunately pm isn't even Goodin that market anymore... Koodo now offers 3g plans $15 and $35

A1ex
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Let's be honest, PM mostly shines when it comes to their lower-end plans. This feels like an extension to allow long-term users to upgrade rather than being a competitive plan compared to other companies. This is outside of the target audience, unlike Bell or their main company Telus. There is no competing with yourself.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@makkahn28 wrote:

Surely Telus should show by example that the Current Status Quo is not Doable and requires a Revolutionary Injection of new Ideas, different principles, different Mindset, Newer Ideas.

@makkahn28 here's the problem with your suppositions: Telus has no incentive to inject any revolutionary new ideas, different principles, different mindset, newer ideas.  To them, the current status quo is not only doable, it's awesome.  Why would they want to cannibalize their high-margin mobile business with something providing more for less?  Why would they want to ignite a price war with the other providers in their oligopoly in favour of their customers over their profits?  

If you don't believe me, look how hard Canadian big telecom has fought the adoption of proper nation-wide MVNOs.  The last thing they want is any sort of meaningful change which could challenge their profits and shareholder happiness.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

One thing to keep in mind is the “No Credit Check” side of PM. Yes there are better alternatives for higher GB plans available to most of us but many cant get conventional cell service due to bad credit. Thus this gives them an option. It also gives me or others like me a viable choice since I would never want a 15 GB plan on an ongoing basis but I might want one for a month or two. So with this ho hum option I don't have to port out, lose all my perks and then port back in starting over at PM. So it is a viable option for some circumstances.

AE_Collector

I agree.  If I am paying $70, actually anything over $50, other than the data limit, I will request a more decent service as mentioned above:  LTE service, VoLTE, Wi-Fi Calling and Visual VM.  Add to the list, if I am paying that month monthly, I likely would also want a true Long Distance call service other than the short list PM has.  Also, a true overview roaming.  

Again, if I am paying $50 over, there are all the choices out there which can provide me the proper mobile service.   The reason I am here is that I have a $25 plan that no Tier 2 or Tier 1 provider has.  I am willing to sacrifice a bit to get the better rate.

Also, what would give PM some quality, if they actually had VoLTE, Wi-Fi Calling, Visual VM, Resuscitating the 90 Days Cycle, even adding more Countries to the Roaming list once the Planet is safe for Traveling when the Pandemic is finally vanquished

I feel that PM should actually focus on options like these and not too much on Plans, as I feel like it's more gimmick than problem-solving

Hoping that there are people who are not thinking cheap is good, as when that happens, we end up with these that are not exactly supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Again my opinions and thoughts, just saying again as this is by far uncharted watery times

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

I think the New $70 Plan is an Ok plan, BUT I still think PM needs to do better, and the 3G Speeds being quite laughable in today's definition, just feel PM can do a lot better, like PM needs to really reconsider resuscitating LTE Speeds at some point, as 5G coming into the picture more, and not even sure if PM will enjoy 5G even.

Also, with the CRTC MVNO ruling, plus the Shaw/Rogers thing, Freedom Mobile not participating in the 5G Spectrum frequency Auction, feel that this is not good enough, that PM could surely and Certainly MUST do better, as we pay so much as it is, feel that surely PM could possibly and must surely have more to offer beyond the 3G speeds and surely could offer perhaps even a halfway point between the 3G and LTE speeds, and also maybe even more.

Like, take Mint Mobile, though it's US, the concept is similar to PM in Online support, plus their plans are Similar, not price as ones USD and PM being CAD, but Mint has more options available.

Surely Telus should show by example that the Current Status Quo is not Doable and requires a Revolutionary Injection of new Ideas, different principles, different Mindset, Newer Ideas.

The Current system is like, take the USS Enterprise, how in ST: III Search for Spock, how one said, Jim, the Enterprise is 20 years Old, we feel that her day is Over.

Just saying, the Older System perhaps is obsolete, Antiquated, and requires a New Star Ship.

Maybe Telus could try to take the plunge to start perhaps its own Great Experiment, something bold, new, untried, and prove that there's always something we can do better, that we can learn new tricks

@Pawprints1986 

UMTS/W-CDMA/HSPA is 3G, even if your phone shows a 4G icon. LTE is real 4G. See here for the history and source of confusion:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/LTE-network-fundamentals/td-p/1305...

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@sheytoon I thought as of now that calls are over 4g? Or is lte also 4g but a different kind of band? 

For example, when I put my phone on wcdma only, my data icon says 4g, where as to select all networks it turns into an lte icon. But are they both 4g?

A small part of me kind of hates the idea of wcdma ever totally going away... I'm afraid to say why though out of fear of judgment lol. 

As others have mentioned, my home WiFi dates usage is definitely much higher than my 2gb cell data lol. But I do make that point to download at home first if I need video on the go for any reason. Tedious yet cheaper ? But I do tend to largely prefer tv sized screens for tv type things. I'll wait till I get home to watch whatever it was, if I don't forget lol

@BearFBI 

Lol....good point although when I am outside I'm usually only using my phone to listen to music and take photos. Would love to see some of yours when/in you "Get Outside!"

@srlawren 

Lol....good point. When I had the RBC promo with the $40/plan I would listen to youtube music to burn thru my unused data but I don't stream music like many others do.....pay and pay again thru data usage?!! But I have a friend who keeps the $40 plan so he can listen to sirius radio on his phone which did amaze me how much data that could use.

On another note I finally figured ot how to download my playlists from my tablet onto a micro sd card so I can free up a little more storage on my 16GB A3 by deleting the music in my samsung music app and still listen to the same library and add to it now that I'm not constrained by the storage limit on my phone.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@sheytoon wrote:

Using a lot of data comes down to watching videos. If you have no interest in watching videos on the cellular network, 1-2GB a month is generally enough for most people.

@sheytoon I think streaming audio could do it too, if you do enough of it.  Many of the younger generation(s) stream a lot of content while out and about.  Depending on quality settings, Spotify can apparently use between 10 MB and 150 MB per hour (according to this article from last fall https://www.whistleout.ca/CellPhones/Guides/How-Much-Data-Does-Spotify-Use-Canada).  If you add that up over a month, it could be a fairly substantial amount on the higher quality settings.  And some services now offer lossless quality settings, which I'm confident would use up quite a bit more with lesser psychoacoustic compression.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

BearFBI

@darlicious said "See this is the generational difference in data usage and location.....Vancouver vs Sudbury."

Actually thats a good point. We have a strong internet infrastructure up here but we have way less public WiFi hotspots. Also I do a lot of fishing, hiking, biking, etc. I'm probably in the bush more than people down south because were surrounded by bush lol. 

And, I'm always outside.... probaly why I'm seeking for more data. I can't stand staying inside on a hot summer day. 

I'm inside after the sun sets and I sit back and watch a moive. Probably why my Wifi data usage is so high. I direct play from the plex server instead of transcode too. The 4k streams can pull anywhere from 30-80Mbps. 

@Pawprints1986 

See this is the generational difference in data usage and location.....Vancouver vs Sudbury.

@BearFBI 

You need more of this.....😃

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/The-Lounge/Get-outside/m-p/686346#M14108

BearFBI

@darlicious said "That's 10gb/hr. How does HD enhance the user experience on such a small screen?"

"I use on average 15gb of wifi data on my tablet and 5gb of wifi data on my phone. 60% of usage stemming from chrome""

OH MY GOD. I use 350Gb a month of Wifi usage on my phone. 240GB of it is Plex. My router easily pushes a terabit per month of data. 

HD is a basic, anything below is noticeably bad.

I do stream through plex so that is a bit different. 

I just had a look at Koodos postpaid base plans and it's $70/12gb... so unfortunately it is a good value

@BearFBI 

That's 10gb/hr. How does HD enhance the user experience on such a small screen?

I use on average 15gb of wifi data on my tablet and 5gb of wifi data on my phone. 60% of usage stemming from chrome.

Doomsday
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

So limited data is not really meant for watching videos. If you have 1gb or 10gb. If you watched netflix everyday on data your going to run out either way.

Limited data is meant for, low data app usage. Facebook, reading articles on chrome, doing searchs on google, using google maps, sending emails and small attachements

If you live in a city you can get wifi pretty much everywhere including public places, restaurants, stores and work so you can stream more easly.

Good luck

BearFBI

It's the videos that use a lot of data ugh. 

Talking about data, I used 240GB of data this month on my phone just watching Plex! On my WiFi of course. 

I dont watch much either. Probably 25 hours of watchtime that whole month. 

Using a lot of data comes down to watching videos. If you have no interest in watching videos on the cellular network, 1-2GB a month is generally enough for most people.

barndoor
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@BearFBI wrote:

Let's put it this way, EVERYONE needs lots of data nowadays. If your saying you don't, your simply trying to save money and monitoring it like a hawk. I do the same thing lol, screw Canada. 

Nah !!  Sounds like you need to leave the data in the bag  and and get out and enjoy what Canada has to offer !!

BearFBI

@Pawprints1986 said "I struggle to understand how people use or need that much data? Do they not have home internet at all and that's their only source? Are they commuting while streaming vs downloading over wifi first? Watching undownloaded movies on the bus?"

You can very easily burn through data... The way we have to manage our data in Canada is ridiculous, having to do all that work with data saving, just to have simple internet access on your phone. If you lived in a country with unlimited or cheap data rates, I bet you would have 100Gb of usage right now. 

EVERY single day I wish I had a lot of data, I wish I had 10's of GB's of data. I dont have that because it's too expensive. 

I'll give you some examples. 

Streaming uses so much data usage. Tried watching a moive once when I first got data, I was about 15 minutes into the moive and my 1GB of data was already gone. Downloading moives is an absolute pain and I rather not do that. 

Watching Tiktok and YouTube uses so much data usage as well. 

Even browsing the web uses a lot of data. 

I'm always on my phone, I use my 1GB of data every month but I feel like I used none of it. If I'm out and about, I want my phone to work JUST like it does at home connected to wifi, I don't want to worry about usage. 

Let's put it this way, EVERYONE needs lots of data nowadays. If your saying you don't, your simply trying to save money and monitoring it like a hawk. I do the same thing lol, screw Canada. 

Doomsday
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I believe public mobile should focus on how to make cheaper plans.

This is where there business is.

People come to public mobile to pay less 70$ a month is very expensive and may be a bad image to attache to public mobile.

My 2 cents, I use the 25$/month deal

treefrog
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@J_PM 

Well this is a surprise. I didn't think p.m. would be offering such large data buckets. But the price is just wrong!

to be fair, from $40 to $50 , that include not just data increase but US calling as well.

However, I won't be surprise that most $50 (and the new $70) users do not really need the US calling .. they likely choose those plans for the increase in data rather than the US calling.

KamWest
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

4.5 gb to 10gb moves from $40 to $50 which is $10 extra for 5.5gb

10gb plan at $50 to $15gb plan at $70 is $20 for 5gb

Does not make sense compared to the GB structure of the first plan I mentioned.

PS. I did not include bonus data in both plan calculations so just add that if you have auto pay.

Bell3
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

There is no value for money on this offer. Virgin Mobile is offering 17GB and phone discount for this price.

@Pawprints1986 with respect to VoLTE, the strategy for the last couple of years with Bell and Telus is to deploy new sites with LTE only. In addition, Telus has no 850 MHz 3G coverage in Winnipeg and Brandon. Without VoLTE, you could be in a situation where you have LTE signal, but voice calls fail because you're out of coverage. Example: White River, ON

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/White-River-Ontario-No-voice-service/...

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Dropped-calls-in-Newfoundland/td-p/45...

Other benefits would be faster call setup time, ability to use LTE data while on a call, better codecs like EVS (better audio quality), enhanced coverage by using special network features like UL CoMP and TTI bundling. From a network deployment perspective it's also more efficient and more voice traffic can be carried on LTE than 3G. And of course it allows operators to slowly decommission the 3G network.

@Pawprints1986  yes.. kids these days stream anywhere and everywhere..

For me.. who is cheap , would download everything aheadat home  and only watch my pre-downloaded videos when I am on the road.  

For kids these days.. they don't .. they want to watch something..whenever they are. they will watch.. who cares about the bill.. LoL

Pawprints1986

I struggle to understand how people use or need that much data? Do they not have home internet at all and that's their only source? Are they commuting while streaming vs downloading over wifi first? Watching undownloaded movies on the bus? 

Also I've seen a few mention voice over lte but I fail to see why that matters? As of now your phone will switch network type to make a call, but  it's not like you have to manually switch it. What would the perk be?

Please do educate me, on both lol

With being home now I struggle to use 2gb data, but I don't want to switch as it's not offered for $30 anymore

Need Help? Let's chat.