Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lunar New Year Offer

Catherine_T
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

[Edited on Feb 22, 2021 - Offer entry extended to Feb 28, 2021]

Hey Community! 

To celebrate Lunar New Year, for a limited time only, Public Mobile customers can get a 1GB data bonus every month for 8 months, plus a one-time add on of 500 China, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macau long distance minutes on select plans. 

Offer Details:

• Offer applies to the $25, $35, $40, $45 and $50 plans.
  • 500 minutes Long Distance Add-on is a one-time add on, and applies to the following locations: China, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macau.

How to Get this Offer: 

1. Submit your email address here before Feb 28, 2021, 11:59PM EST
  2. Once your email address has been successfully submitted, you will receive a confirmation email with a promo code.
  3. Activate on an eligible plan online or in-store with the promo code before March 6, 2021, 11:59PM EST to redeem this offer.

How to Activate:

1. If you need to purchase a SIM card, click here to order a SIM card online through Public Mobile. Your SIM card will be shipped within 3 to 7 business days (please expect a longer shipping time due to COVID-19 measures). You can also order your SIM card through Amazon, and choose your shipping speed. Alternatively, you can purchase a SIM card by locating a retailer near you. 
  2. Visit activate.publicmobile.ca to activate online, or activate in-store
  3. Bonus data and one-time add-on will be automatically applied to eligible rate plans within 30 days of activating, and for 8 months after activation.

Good to know:

• Any unused minutes will roll over to your next cycle. 
  • This offer is not stackable with other in-market offers.
  • This offer is subject to change without notice.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

- The Public Mobile Team

133 REPLIES 133

pkeachantu
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Is this for already customers? 

when I enter the promo code, I get the the message that im not allowed to this promotion... why?

thank you!

Moonlittree
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello. 

I recently ported over and have redeemed the Lunar New Year promotion. However I do not need the long distance calling to the far east, and would rather have it for the Indian sub continent. Is there anyway I could request for an exchange?

pkeachantu
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Amazing! Thank you for this gift! 

@computergeek541 

Yeah I have been seeing that a bit as well. Have been wondering what is next....

AE_Collector

@Lorca wrote:

@computergeek541 Where?

As this is a Public Mobile website, I'll say that a look through some of the competitor websites will reveal such plans. I know that's a cryptic answer, but I don't want to turn this thread into advertising for all of the other carriers.  I'm sure that Public Mobile is constantly evaulating the plans offered. 

@HALIMACS wrote:

Because for the Boxing Day - New Years promotions, they used the phrases  "New customers" PLUS mentioned having to "activate".

This Lunar Year promo is open to misinterpretation in using the phrase "Public Mobile customers", which implies existing customers.   It can just mean different things to different people.

STILL, your point makes logical sense - it's not a 'gift' or 'bonus' to existing customers and clearly mentions having to "activate" so in reality ANYONE can get it IF they activate. 

I am not disagreeing with your points, I made similar comments a couple of pages back. I guess my comment is more in general to ongoing requests for any and all promotions to be available to existing customers as well.

AE_Collector

mcneild6
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This is awesome, I’m glad I switched to public mobile. 

Lorca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Thanks for the offer, but would be great to see something for the $15 plan as well.

I also think the promo from previous years are better...

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

A nice bonus for those who want to become a new PM client or have another SIM. Thank you!

Because for the Boxing Day - New Years promotions, they used the phrases  "New customers" PLUS mentioned having to "activate".

This Lunar Year promo is open to misinterpretation in using the phrase "Public Mobile customers", which implies existing customers.   It can just mean different things to different people.

STILL, your point makes logical sense - it's not a 'gift' or 'bonus' to existing customers and clearly mentions having to "activate" so in reality ANYONE can get it IF they activate. 

I am at a loss to understand why so many think these offers WOULD be for anyone but New Customers. Is it because once or twice a year PM does give gifts of some sort specifically to “Existing Customers” that makes many think every offer should be for every customer? We all know this isn’t how things work, all companies have lucrative offers to lure people away from the competition. If every existing customer could take advantage of every new customer offer I guarantee that monthly plan costs would double.

AE_Collector

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Great, but looks like it is for new customers only.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@makkahn28 : Other than some ambiguity in the writing of the promo (as usual) (how much are these marketing mavens being paid anyway) it seems this promo is only for new activations.

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

I had a question about the promo 

If one is on one of the Older 90 Day plans, can we still get the promo offer without having to switch to the new plans?

No I was just resting my briefcase.....

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AE_Collector wrote:

I rest my case.

AE_Collector

I didn't know there was a case being litigated 🙂

@AE_Collector wrote:

@Anonymous 

Yes your strikeout was there when I read it. Was just jumping on the dog pile. I understand that little effort is made around here made to fix some inconveniences as I always say, “it is all part of the experience” for those who want to save some money. But things that needlessly create traffic here like “I have been a customer for 6 months now, can I get this offer too?” and “I didn't get an email confirmation, will I still get my data bonus?” should be fixed or at least clarified. There is nothing gained in making new customers feel that they have made a mistake going with PM right from the get go.

AE_Collector

@LoreckAvery wrote:

As a current PM customer, can i take advantage of this offer? It is not very clear if this is exclusively for NEW PM customers or existing or both! 

I rest my case.

AE_Collector

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@LoreckAvery wrote:

As a current PM customer, can i take advantage of this offer? It is not very clear if this is exclusively for NEW PM customers or existing or both! 

This promo is for new activation only.

LoreckAvery

jivetalker

Maybe it should be renamed the Looney New Year offer!

@Anonymous 

Yes your strikeout was there when I read it. Was just jumping on the dog pile. I understand that little effort is made around here made to fix some inconveniences as I always say, “it is all part of the experience” for those who want to save some money. But things that needlessly create traffic here like “I have been a customer for 6 months now, can I get this offer too?” and “I didn't get an email confirmation, will I still get my data bonus?” should be fixed or at least clarified. There is nothing gained in making new customers feel that they have made a mistake going with PM right from the get go.

AE_Collector

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AE_Collector : Yes I spoke too soon. Note the strikeout. I did that after computergeek541 pointed out the holes in the offer like you did. Alas.

The offer did say there would be an email sent with a promo code. Much like the Diwali promo late last year.

Ok if we'll go into details it is available to all costumers old and new but for new accounts only

@Anonymous wrote:

A nearly flawless writing of an offer. 😞

In thinking of prior offers, this one doesn't say that you can't change plans. ie. down to the $15 plan after initial activation. So by omission...you can!

Wording says that “Public Mobile Customers can get ...”  which isnt really true, Only NEW PM Customers or at least NEW Plans can get this. This leads to existing customers asking how they can get this.

The opportunity to clarify the “confirmation message” you will receive (not necessarily an email back to you) was overlooked here yet again as well. 

It also says “Any Unused Minutes will Roll Over to the next month” which IS true of the China Calling minutes but it doesn’t say that specifically, it just says “Any Unused minutes”. This can therefore be interpreted as the plans regular calling minutes. It is irrelevant as all of the eligible plans include unlimited Canada Calling anyway but the terminology is not correct and helps create confusion.

AE_Collector

wbg13
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Anonymous True.  Definitely open to interpretation.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wbg13 : Yup. But most of these offers actually say you lose it if the plan is changed. But you're right. That line could very well be interpreted that way.

wbg13
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Anonymous wrote:

A nearly flawless writing of an offer. 😞

In thinking of prior offers, this one doesn't say that you can't change plans. ie. down to the $15 plan after initial activation. So by omission...you can!

@Anonymous While it doesn't say you can't change plans it does say 

Offer Details:

• Offer applies to the $25, $35, $40, $45 and $50 plans.

So technically, it doesn't apply to the $15 plan.  So I would assume that you lose the 1GB data bonus every month for 8 months, plus a one-time add on of 500 China, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macau long distance minutes if you change to a $15 plan.

Just my guess though...

jivetalker

@carlaspapa 

I can't live without my data although I'm getting better getting along with 2.5gb of data that's why I think this deal is rather appealing for the $25 plan.

carlaspapa
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Oh right now I remember that's why it was more appealing to me cuz I don't really use much data. Thanks!

Need Help? Let's chat.