Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing Public Points ™

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have some exciting news to share with the Public Mobile Community. We wanted you all to be the first to know we’re launching a new Rewards program soon - Public Points. 

Joining Public Points is optional for all existing customers. 

Your current rewards will remain the same. You’ll continue to earn in the same ways, and save the same amount. 

Once we launch the new program, all new customers will earn their rewards through Public Points.

If you’re interested in learning more about Public Points, and how you can join, we’ve provided some information below.

Why Public Points?

With Public Points, there are more ways to earn and spend rewards, making the program more flexible than before. Now you can earn and spend points how you want, when you want. You’re in control.

How does Public Points work?

Earn Points

Get rewarded in more ways than ever. Earn points just for paying your bill – for every dollar you spend, you’ll make 5% of it back in points.

Redeem points

We like to keep things simple. 1 point earned is valued at 1 dollar when redeemed - that’s it! 

Start saving

Redeem points on things that matter to you – like money off your bill, free add-ons or the chance to win awesome prizes.

Our Rewards Program has and continues to be our unique super power, by giving our customers the chance to earn even more!

Stay tuned for further details soon!

- Public Mobile Team

282 REPLIES 282

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

The thing, If there are PPL who are on ANY of the Now GrandFathered 90 Day Plans at the time, I think that might be the only way perhaps to have a real chance at some sort of savings on Points

Lucky I still have my 90 Day $150 Unlim Can-Wide US Long-Distance + Global Txt + 6 GB of LTE Data

My Mother has an identical plan on PM too

So, I am happy that I have still that 90 Day plan, I think that might be the Only way to get anything in regards to a decent savings

@makkahn28 wrote:

Here was something, What IF PM allowed ppl who are on the existing system to, let's say, perhaps have a bit more say on how their rewards they garnered up is used, like, what if the rewards $$$$ that ppl get every month, what if, let's say, I earned $29 Every Month in rewards, PM could have designed the system where the rewards $$$$ I can choose if I want it to go to my Phone bill, Buy Add-Ons, or hold on to the $$$$ in the system

Huh? You can already do all those things. Has been possible for as long as I have been here (almost 4 years).

Regarding the new Rewards access, my records are correct regarding my list of referrals. No ghosts, listing of old referrals that have since left, or referrals that do not belong to me.

I do not see why they made it so you have to log into another "system"... They could make it so it is transparent with no new login.

I find it hilarious that they try to "sell" the new rewards program to existing customers with:

"If you thought you loved Public Rewards, wait until you meet Public Points. Public Points lets you earn on even more, and gives you the flexibility to spend on what you want."

I find that a far stretch when it is so obvious of the amount of loss compared to the old Rewards program.

Here was something, What IF PM allowed ppl who are on the existing system to, let's say, perhaps have a bit more say on how their rewards they garnered up is used, like, what if the rewards $$$$ that ppl get every month, what if, let's say, I earned $29 Every Month in rewards, PM could have designed the system where the rewards $$$$ I can choose if I want it to go to my Phone bill, Buy Add-Ons, or hold on to the $$$$ in the system

@gpixel wrote:

@pm-smayer97 

I agree the points program isn't good

nothing lasts forever...

the 2 reduced rewards can be made up in other ways. the most important reward is still here

If you do not switch, your old rewards will last. If you switch, you will need to have a combination of up to 4 more referrals and/or have a plan over $40. No other ways to make up the difference.

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

Well, If PM does at some point make some tweaks to the Points system that makes the gap within reason, like not a 20:1 ratio, But, a 5-7:1-3 Ratio, maybe that would be fair

Besides, would be funny if the way PM announces the winner, not exactly Price is Right where they call you to come on Down, You're the next contestant on the Prize is Right

@pm-smayer97 

I agree the points program isn't good

nothing lasts forever...

the 2 reduced rewards can be made up in other ways. the most important reward is still here

@gpixel wrote:

I wasn't confused. what I was trying to say was when/if the time ever presents itself that the old program is being discontinued. the switch wouldn't be so bad seeing as one will keep their referrals. plus one will also accumulate 1 point for each month they have been with PM. 

ie. if I switch today I will acquire 21+5. say it's decommissioned in 3 years. that then becomes 57+5. 

in my case the 5% and loyalty aren't that important

The change in Loyalty rewards ought to be .... Using your example, you may gain $62 one time but then lose $4.17/mo on loyalty, so the $62 will only cover you for almost 15 months. Then you will lose $4.17/mon forever.

I wasn't confused. what I was trying to say was when/if the time ever presents itself that the old program is being discontinued. the switch wouldn't be so bad seeing as one will keep their referrals. plus one will also accumulate 1 point for each month they have been with PM. 

ie. if I switch today I will acquire 21+5. say it's decommissioned in 3 years. that then becomes 57+5. 

in my case the 5% and loyalty aren't that important

@softech wrote:

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@DMC

yes, that seems to be what has thrown me off. I will update my analysis then... complete revamp...

@pm-smayer97   now, you made up your mind  to stick with the old system?

NEVER thought ONCE about switching... it was obvious from the start. And now even MORE obvious!  😉

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@pm-smayer97 

Yes there's rounding in my numbers for simplicity, pm subscribership numbers are extremely hard to find as they are combined with telus's overall numbers so some assumptions had to made but now that you understand the new points programs changes with loyalty and autopay you should be able to see the dramatic affect they can have on the bottom line....and I used conservative estimates.

And yes I used "bankruptcy" for dramatic effect....and you owe me a large drink in the lounge! I'll have three olives in my martini. Thx!??🍸😃

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@DMC

yes, that seems to be what has thrown me off. I will update my analysis then... complete revamp...

@pm-smayer97   now, you made up your mind  to stick with the old system?

@DMC

DMC
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@softech wrote:

@pm-smayer97   There is no Loyalty reward for new customers. This term is not on the new Reward system.  There is only Anniversary Bonus for new customer on new Reward system (10 points =$10 ) 

There is mention of Loyalty reward. So far, I have read it the other way, that the new Loyalty is ongoing. It seems there is debate as to whether it is ongoing or a one time for switchers.

@J_PM  Please chime in to confirm which it is.

If the Loyalty reward is one time and the Anniversary bonus is all that is replacing the old Loyalty reward, this is definitely a bigger change than I have understood, as therefore a much bigger loss for customers.

So I think I found the point of confusion.  The picture you used in your analysis showing the loyalty line only shows for existing customers because it's talking about the one time loyalty bonus for each month you've been with PM.  That loyalty line does not show up on the rewards page for new customers.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/rewards

@pm-smayer97   no more $1 off after 1st year, $2 after 2nd year.

They are one giving us a one time bonus offer to try to make us join:

(Follow table copied from Jade's other thread:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Introducing-Public-Points-Rewards/td-p/...

One-time

Loyalty Perks

1 point for every month with Public

As if welcome points didn't sound nice enough, you'll also earn 1 point for every month you've been with Public Mobile

Automatically added after you’ve joined Public Points, and we’ve set up your profile on My Rewards.

The reoccurring one is called Anniversary bonus , only 10 points one time very 12 months on your anniversary date

Reoccurring

Anniversary Points

10 points

For every twelve months you stay with us, you’ll earn 10 points. Think of it like an anniversary present!

Note: time spent in suspend status is still counted towards your Anniversary.

On your Anniversary date

@softech wrote:

@pm-smayer97   There is no Loyalty reward for new customers. This term is not on the new Reward system.  There is only Anniversary Bonus for new customer on new Reward system (10 points =$10 ) 

There is mention of Loyalty reward. So far, I have read it the other way, that the new Loyalty is ongoing. It seems there is debate as to whether it is ongoing or a one time for switchers.

@J_PM  Please chime in to confirm which it is.

If the Loyalty reward is one time and the Anniversary bonus is all that is replacing the old Loyalty reward, this is definitely a bigger change than I have understood, as therefore a much bigger loss for customers.

@ottawa wrote:

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

So they hopefully learned to grandfather plans/programs better. That was just from ONE plan. Could you imagine the backlash from all the people that signed up because of the current/old Rewards program only to be switched automatically? Not likely to happen. That would likely erode confidence in PM irreparably.

IMHO, not so much learned to grandfather better, as learned not to over-promise. The problem with the $40 issue was that they promised "it will never change". Like with the new program, where we have 30 days to correct any errors, but they give themselves forever.

Yes, that too.

@ottawa wrote:

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

Almost correct: Loyalty is now broken into 2 parts.... $1/mo + $10/yr... both fixed.

Though the $10/yr is ongoing and the $1/mo is one-time.

The wording suggests otherwise... both are ongoing and fixed.

@J_PMcare to chime in and clarify/confirm?

@darlicious wrote:

@DMC 

No you have it right. The new customer gets 0 one time loyalty points+5 start up bonus points +  the 10 loyalty points after one full year + 10 points every year after so a total of 55 points at 5 year anniversary where as you would have 58+55=113 points. Where as in 5 years and two months or rather in two months you will have collected $180 in loyalty rewards and will collect a further $300 in the next 5 years=$480 If you switched in two months after 5 years $$ rewards will give you $185 more than your points would at 115 and $250 more in the next 5 years vs 50 points.

I'm not reading it this way. I believe the new Loyalty rewards are an ongoing reward for new customers. There is no conversion Loyalty bonus for switching.  And this reward is a fixed amount, never changing.... stay a customer, continue to get 1pt/mon. That's it. No accumulation like the old program, no one-time bonus for switching customers either.

@DMC wrote:

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@DMC wrote:

Hmm, if it really is only a fixed $10 a year now for loyalty, then that's an awful and drastic change because I'm about to hit 5 years in March to earn $60 a year.  Losing $50 a year by switching is not worth it at all.  I guess the one time switching points is supposed to entice you of which I would earn 65 points, so would be temporarily ahead, but it'll be wiped out too fast losing $50 a year.

Yes, it is only a FIXED $10/yrs Anniversary bonus and fixed $1/mon Loyalty. So switching is not really beneficial for anyone that has been with PM for more than 22 month...If you have one of the plans over $40, then the numbers change a little but not much.

See my analysis here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Introducing-Public-Points/m-p/777931/hi...

So I'm a little confused on your analysis because I see the loyalty part differently.  You say loyalty is broken up into 2 parts of $10 a year for anniversary and $1/month.  However, I don't read it that way.  I only see the fixed $10 a year anniversary plus a ONE TIME loyalty bonus for every month you've been with PM for existing customers.  Currently for me that's 58 months, so I get a one time $58 bonus if I switch today.  However, this $1/month doesn't exist for new users and they will only get $10 a year for anniversary, so I'm confused where your $22/year comparison comes in.

You are confused because you are reading it from a "switching" perspective but this is written from a "new customer" perspective. You would not get a one-time Loyalty equal to the number of months you have been customer. Instead the 1pt/month Loyalty is an ongoing reward.

EDIT: I've since learned that the Loyalty Perk is a ONE-TIME pay-out, and not an ongoing reward, as I first thought. So you are right. 😉

@darlicious wrote:

@gpixel 

That's a one time credit of points per month so no it's not....once reaching full loyalty rewards old customers get $60 per year while new customers get $10 in points per year.

Not exactly....old customers get $60/yr after 5 yrs but have to wait for 1 year before getting any Loyaly reward. New program gets $1/mo from 1st month (=$12) + $10/yr Anniversary bonus, for a total of $22 within 1st year. So it takes newish customer (under old program) 44 months to break even with new customer... then and only then does old Rewards program surpass new program....

See complete analysis here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Introducing-Public-Points/m-p/777931/hi...

That might not be to avoid bankruptcy, but it could also be to clean up the book a bit, less liabilities and and sell the operation at a better price 🙂 

@darlicious wrote:

Without this drastic change in how half of the rewards are paid out so that the vast majority of pm's customer base get to keep their lucrative rewards and cheap plans on Canada's best network for longer than 5 years.....and beyond? Is the price new customers will have to pay rather than current customers having to pay more at a different mobile provider after public mobile files for bankruptcy.

The problem with this logic is that it will take YEARS for PM to see the meaningful benefits of this change in rewards programs. There are a lot of assumptions built into your assessment. I doubt the changes are about trying to prevent bankruptcy. Otherwise the changes would have been more drastic.

my analysis is here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Introducing-Public-Points/m-p/777931/hi...

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@gpixel 

That's a one time credit of points per month so no it's not....once reaching full loyalty rewards old customers get $60 per year while new customers get $10 in points per year.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

they're going to release volte & higher throttle limit plans and one will need to switch to the new points program if one wants to change to those plans.

-game over

*just confirmed referrals get transferred. it's a little enticing now especially if we are forced to switch. the 1 point for every month you've been with PM is actually good...

-game not over

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@coolman78 

On your overview page where your rewards used to be click on the rewards button. That will bring you to your rewards account log in. Use the same login details as your self serve. Voila! There are all of your rewards.

coolman78
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me so promptly.  However when i login to my account I no longer see the discounts for all the category i used to qualify for.  Such as $2 off for autopay $! off for referral and $3 off for loyalty.  It now has a link to click "access reward."  So you actually looked into my account and confirmed i never switch?  thanks

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi @coolman78,

Thank you for reaching out.  We’ve been alerted that an email was accidentally deployed to some customers in error. If you received an email confirming that you’ve joined our new Rewards program Public Points, please disregard it. 

We can confirm that joining Public Points is completely optional for all existing customers, and you have not been switched over to Public Points automatically. We apologize for any confusion this may have caused.

Public Mobile Team. 🙂

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@AE_Collector 

This is my theory since I have only lost my 2 vacationing Americans from my first month and I assume the 2 strange numbers appearing in that account are them. My other account that I lost one referral recently by counting wrong to reactivate has the correct amount of referrals and corresponding phone numbers. I am just speculating that referrals lost by fixing the ghost referral glitch in spring 2020 have returned to haunt public mobile by appearing in our rewards accounts!  Very spooky......👻

Need Help? Let's chat.