cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get 4.5 GB at 3G speeds for $40!

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Update as of October 16, 2018: This offer is now expired.

Hey Community,

Effective July 18th, 2018 as a competitive response, we are bringing back our 4.5 GB at 3G speed for $40 plan for a limited time only!

Plan details:

$40 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed

• 30-day plan
  • 4.5 GB of data at 3G speed
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging
  • New and current customers are eligible

How to get this offer:

New customers

Current customers

1. Purchase a SIM Card: Click here to order online or locate a participating retailer to purchase a SIM Card.
  2. Visit activate.publicmobile.ca and follow the instructions to activate your SIM Card. If purchasing from a participating retailer, the retail associate can assist you with the activation.
  3. During the activation process, select the Ready-made plan “$40 for 4.5 GB of data at 3G speed”.
  1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the Ready-made plan “$40 for 4.5 GB of data at 3G speed”. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

-Public Mobile Community Team

Spoiler

FAQs

Question

Answer

How long will this plan be in market?

This is a limited time offer and is subject to change without notice. Please refer to Public Mobile’s Service Terms.  Please note that the promotion will not be honoured after it has ended. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online, are in-transit and not yet activated.

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

I am an existing customer. What is the difference between changing my plan immediately and changing my plan on the next renewal date?

When changing your plan, you have 2 options: (1) change your plan immediately or (2) change on your next renewal date.

Here is the difference:

Changing your plan immediately...

You may choose to change your plan immediately if you have used all or most of your services, if your account is suspended and you would like a different plan, or if you would like to get started right away on the new plan. Here are some things you should know about this option:

●     There must be enough funds in your account to cover the full amount of the new plan.

●     A new payment cycle starts when you activate your new plan.

●     Your plan will not be prorated, which means that any days remaining in your current payment cycle will not be credited to your new plan.

●     Due to system limitations, if your account is suspended, you will need to send a private message to our Moderator Team here to change your plan immediately. You will need to be signed in to the Community for the link to work.

●     Any earned Rewards will be applied on your next renewal after the plan change.

Changing your plan at the next renewal date…

On the other hand, you may choose to change your plan on your next renewal date because it allows you to use the services you have already paid for. We recommend this option so your money can go further. Here are some things you should know about this option:

●     If you choose to change your plan on your next plan renewal date, the amount owed will be automatically updated.

●     If you have AutoPay set up, the amount of your new plan will be charged on your payment due date.

●     You can cancel a future-dated plan change at any time by clicking on the ‘Plans and Add-Ons’ tab and selecting ‘Cancel Order’.

●     Any earned Rewards will be applied on your next renewal after the plan change.

What happens if the “$40 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed” plan becomes unavailable before my next plan renewal date?

If you chose to change your plan to “$40 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed” on the next renewal date and the request has been submitted successfully, you will still switch to “$40 for 4.5 GB at 3G speed” even if the promotion ends before your renewal date occurs.

310 REPLIES 310

@CherylKirby wrote:

Thanks, I will take your advice. I am unsure of  " Your plan only offers 500 megs per month" Is that referring to data?.  I wasn't exaggerating when I said I'm not Tech savvy at all!  I have WiFi at home and don't work so I have only used 4 megabytes of data in 28 days! But I want to try GPS soon!

Thanks!

Yes, I was referring to the data usage per month in the plan.  I know a lot of people who have these very limited usage plans who would save all data related activities until there's WiFi and as a result miss out on the opportunities to take advantage of the mobile data.  With additional data, mobile data can be left on all the time leading to the discovery of all the conveniences of mobile data.  This is after all why we have mobile devices and services.  You can enjoy all this without extra cost!  How can anyone say no to that?

CherylKirby
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Thank you so very much, everyone! I am going to take the consistent advice and switch. The discussion has been really eye-opening! I am really clueless to most of the discussions but I am learning. I am quickly seeing that when questions are asked, people are giving a detailed, understandable explanation rather than just a short answer!  I am learning so much! This is Great!

Thanks!

RajDevani
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yes. The 500 megs would be referring to data. 

CherylKirby

Thanks, I will take your advice. I am unsure of  " Your plan only offers 500 megs per month" Is that referring to data?.  I wasn't exaggerating when I said I'm not Tech savvy at all!  I have WiFi at home and don't work so I have only used 4 megabytes of data in 28 days! But I want to try GPS soon!

Thanks!

RajDevani

Might just be worth the move....not much noticeable difference with the data speeds unless you're doing a lot of streaming.

RajDevani

Thanks....just saw that.

You cna get the same plan under "Build your own plan".

🙂

horemansus

@CherylKirby wrote:

Is it a good idea to switch plans? My phone is used for talking, texting, taking pics and sending them. just social use.                                                                                                  I I have this as my plan right now but looking at the promotion, that's a lot of data! Is there a noticeable difference in the speeds/quality? 
                                                                                                                                                            $120 per 90 Days
  • This plan includes: -
  • 1.5GB at 4G LTE Speed /90 Days
  • - Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • - Unlimited International Text

Little will change for you. Photos may take a few more seconds  to upload.. that's all

David01

Just checked.... it's still available! Just have to go to "Build your own plan." The 500MB bonus is still available too 😀

David01

Oh, I'm not sure then. As far as I'm aware, the $50/6GB plan is a permanent one. It's under the "Build your own plan" section. Perhaps the bonus 500MB is finished? 

RajDevani

Seems like the $50 plan is not available any more 😞

@David01 wrote:

I have the $50, unlimited with 6.5GB data. The 3G speed works just fine. The data runs over the LTE network, so I've found it to be fast and smooth. It's a lot of data for a great price. Plus, with my community contributions, my price is even lower. Its definitely worth it! 

David01

I have the $50, unlimited with 6.5GB data. The 3G speed works just fine. The data runs over the LTE network, so I've found it to be fast and smooth. It's a lot of data for a great price. Plus, with my community contributions, my price is even lower. Its definitely worth it! 

@CherylKirby wrote:

Is it a good idea to switch plans? My phone is used for talking, texting, taking pics and sending them. just social use.                                                                                                  I I have this as my plan right now but looking at the promotion, that's a lot of data! Is there a noticeable difference in the speeds/quality? 

Quality is the same as LTE, but the speed is way less than what you currently get on LTE. 3G plan speed is throttled to 3Mbps. You will not notice a difference with normal usage. But in your case as you will be uploading pictures/videos, you will notice a slow speed (~300 KB/s on 3G vs over 6-25 MB/s). So the decision is yours as it depends on how often you share photos and videos compare to having more data at slow speed for the same price. 

@CherylKirby wrote:

$120 per 90 Days

@CherylKirby, I would definitely switch if I were you.  Your plan only offers 500 megs per month.  Going forward if there is any change in usage pattern, this is not a lot of data.  Since the pricing is the same, why not get a lot more for the money even if it won't all be used. 

CherylKirby

$120 per 90 Days

RajDevani

Great Deal!!!

choding

It is a great plan for me because free from Fongo.

I had 2 GB lte plan with province- unlimited talk. it was a very good plan at 40 dollars. but when i had a call to the other province, it was inconvience to use Fongo. Now no more use it and delet the app.  the speed of 3G is not bad to use any social app, but i don't know games, i never play the games.

i wish everybody knows and use it.

thanks PM

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mtfolks wrote:

@srlawren Cool. Thanks. 

I don’t know about PM but I know for a fact from working as an installer for them that Shaw over provisions the modem to help ensure you hit close to your stated plan speed. Hence, the reason you’ll actually test above what you’re paying for. 

@mtfolks that makes a lot of sense actually.  Thanks for your first-hand confirmation!  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

jjhack84

Typically when one of the big three does the other 2 follow. Usually with a couple days. Sometimes later, as they will use the not raising the price as a "promotion" aka sales tactic.

bilal684
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@torontokris wrote:

@bilal684 wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

@bilal684, unlikely to happen for at least a a year.  Fall Promo planned price increase was  about 1 year after all plans were finally connected.  The increase was cancelled when so many of us complained.

I’m not saying it won’t happen before a year, but anything can, and may happen.

Lol, Back when I was with bell, on black friday of 2016 I believe, there was this 34$ 2gb plan at virgin mobile. Price increased 6 months after... 😑 I hope it won't be the case here... Lost trust in all of the big 3.

Although there are no guarantees Public Mobile/Telus/Koodo have a better track record of not increasing prices compared to the other companies (Bell Rogers Fido).

@That, I cannot deny. My friend who had this 34$ 2gb deal still has it @ Koodo till this day, I got my price increased within 6 month... Bell.... 😞

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@bilal684 wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

@bilal684, unlikely to happen for at least a a year.  Fall Promo planned price increase was  about 1 year after all plans were finally connected.  The increase was cancelled when so many of us complained.

Lol, Back when I was with bell, on black friday of 2016 I believe, there was this 34$ 2gb plan at virgin mobile. Price increased 6 months after... 😑 I hope it won't be the case here... Lost trust in all of the big 3.

Although there are no guarantees Public Mobile/Telus/Koodo have a better track record of not increasing prices compared to the other companies (Bell Rogers Fido).

bilal684

@stonechucker wrote:

bilal684

Subscribed today, ported out from Koodo 2gb plan for 35$ to this. I don't know why but I feel like there will be a price increase on that plan soon 🤔

andperse
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I switched from my Fido 5gb/$50 account to this yesterday. Haven't really noticed any difference in quality and I'm saving $12 after the autopay and only giving up .5gb. Really happy with my decision so far!

mtfolks
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@srlawren Cool. Thanks. 

I don’t know about PM but I know for a fact from working as an installer for them that Shaw over provisions the modem to help ensure you hit close to your stated plan speed. Hence, the reason you’ll actually test above what you’re paying for. 

@dbi987 Cool. Hate spending money of speed tests but couldn't restrain my curiousity. iPhone SE with 3G plan and LTE OFF: ping 36 Download 9.2 Upload 1.5.

Enjoy while it lasts! Robot wink

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

dbi987
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I ran these tests 2 weeks ago, well after the 72 hour activation window. I am still getting similar speeds.

LTE Throttled: 

Down: 3.50 Mbps
Up: 3.46 Mbps
Ping: 19 ms
Jitter: 9 ms

3G (Changed my Android settings to prefer the 2G/3G network)

Down: 10.9 Mbps
Up: 2.17 Mbps
Ping: 34 ms
Jitter: 25 ms

I repeated the 3G test twice with similar results.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I believe the official number is 3.0 in each direction.  Of course there is going to be some fluctuation and some cases where the test result is a bit over or a bit under, but 3.0 is the number you should roughly expect.

I don't think caps are especially precise with any provider.  For example, my home internet plan (Shaw cable, out west) is supposed to include 75Mbps down and I routinely get test results closer to 85Mbps.  I suspect the throttling is a "best effort" type of process that keeps overhead of constrainign the throughput as low as possible at the expense of some margin of error in the overall rate.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

jjhack84

@ghune wrote:

@mtfolks wrote:

@NDesai Is that up and down or only down? Been searching but not a lot of clarity on upload speed. 

3.2 Mbps download speed, and 2.7 upload speed. It's constant. I might be wrong, but I assume that because it's on LTE, you get the maximum pretty much all the time (or that would mean that those on LTE would not go faster than you).

Ya since its throttled LTE you will get more consistent speeds. I typically get 3-4 mbps. Up and down.

ghune

@mtfolks wrote:

@NDesai Is that up and down or only down? Been searching but not a lot of clarity on upload speed. 

3.2 Mbps download speed, and 2.7 upload speed. It's constant. I might be wrong, but I assume that because it's on LTE, you get the maximum pretty much all the time (or that would mean that those on LTE would not go faster than you).

Need Help? Let's chat.