cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Developers Blog: Introduction & the support enhancement journey thus far

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

What’s the Developer’s Blog?

Last month, I reached out to you, our Community members, for your help to be testers of our new support enhancements. Once again, I’d like to extend a big THANK YOU to those who rose to the call and dedicated your precious time to help us make support better. Your candid and honest feedback really opened our eyes and helped to take the project to the next level. The team and I were overwhelmed by the number of eager volunteers we had and regretted that we didn’t have the chance to talk with everyone who expressed interest.

With that said, we’d love to include the rest of the Community members who weren’t picked for testing to be able to still get an insider’s look into the development of the new support forms as we ramp up for launch. That’s why I’m excited to share more about the development and work behind-the-scenes on our latest support enhancement (which I’ll now refer to as “smartform” as it’s less of a mouthful!) as we approach our anticipated launch date of late August. I’ll be using this Developers Blog as an opportunity to share more about my day-to-day work on this exciting project with you! Think of it almost like an editorial or a DVD commentary, if you will 😉

The journey we’ve been on with support

Did you know? In the early days of Public Mobile, support was done via e-mail. A small subscriber base and far less complicated business demands made personal responses via e-mail a simple yet effective model. Then, as our business changed, we transitioned to Community private messaging as our sole method of reaching out to our Moderator team to better organize our interactions with you, our customers. While this has worked well for us in our early stages, we’re increasingly feeling the pinch on all sides for a better way to do things. We have heard a number of you voice your frustrations with our support model and we especially heard this in April & May of this year when we had some technical issues that regrettably impacted some of your services. 

I recently had the chance to do a deep dive with our Moderator Team and observe them in action helping our customers. They’re truly a busy bunch and I assure you it’s not easy being a Mod! One thing I couldn’t help but notice was the sheer volume of messages they handle on a daily basis. When I looked at the types of interactions they were having, a lot of the times they couldn’t action a customer’s request right away because they didn’t have all the information they needed. When you think about it, how many extra messages are caused by:

• The need to authenticate a customer
  • Requesting more information about the account
  • Requesting more information about the problem
  • Clarifying other details

When you consider that these easily create 3-4 responses, and that if each had a gap of a couple of hours in between, that's a lot of time added up! Unfortunately, with today’s open field private messaging, we’re not making things easy for you OR our Moderators.

Which made me think- what if the first message of each ticket was “the perfect first message”? I’m talking about a ticket with all the details laid out for the Moderator in which what needs to be done is clear as crystal. That’s how we landed at the concept of a form to create a ticket - by asking you the right questions to help you tell us your story, we set you up for success by guiding you through the ticket submission process. By aiming for this one and done approach, we hope to improve the timeliness of getting help and giving help in a simple but powerful way. 

Capture444.PNG

A teaser of what’s to come (nothing is final yet!)

The journey to improve support is a long one, but this is the first change of many that we will be co-building with you to help improve the support experience here at Public Mobile. We recognize there’s a lot of opportunity here for us to grow, and we plan to involve you in every step of the way.

What’s next?

In our second entry in the Developer’s blog, I’ll share more details about what testing was like, what our customers told us to work on, and what feedback we’ve focused our efforts on to be ready for launch by late August. Let me know what you thought of this little blog entry of mine, or what you’d like me to share in future entries!

Best,
Alan

55 REPLIES 55

tyedye00
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

This would be a great idea to have that inital message support to be the most informative. To not go back and forth between moderator and customer would save us all a bunch of time.

The ticketing system works for a lot of companies and I believe it can be utilized here along with process steps. i.e. Sent, Acknowledge by ..., In progress, Resolved, Complete. 

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

This should be great! Great to see PM making improvements that benefit everyone! 

Ssubram65000a
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

That is definitely going to make it easier for your team to serve the customer faster with reduction to the guess work on issues. I have seen this live in operation and your moderators will find this very convenient. Great work Alan

Sirius

yeah ,I've had plenty of time to fix the problem by myself.  BUT I did the same thing as the 2 previous times and it did work on the third time so I don't know what was the problem.  There should be at least 1 or 2 workers paid by public mobile to help fix the problems before next year !

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mimmo wrote:

@Alan_K  I believe an important part of the ticketing system needs to be how long the current wait time is to receive a reply. The standard 2 hours but peak time longer is not good enough. It needs to say current reply time is between x-y hours.

There are countless messages in forum I have sent x messages and have not heard back in y days. This is not a good reflection of an online only business model. If expectations/reply time are not set, the ticketing system will not be as beneficial as it could be. 

@Alan_K please pay special attention to this from @mimmo.  He is spot-on here.  The days of support requests being submitted into a black hole absolutely must end, as soon as possible.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

litt007
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks for the updates Alan_K. Would be interested in participating in any new beta support forum or forms. Lots of room for improvement and good to see some focus going toward this.

mimmo

@Alan_K  I believe an important part of the ticketing system needs to be how long the current wait time is to receive a reply. The standard 2 hours but peak time longer is not good enough. It needs to say current reply time is between x-y hours.

There are countless messages in forum I have sent x messages and have not heard back in y days. This is not a good reflection of an online only business model. If expectations/reply time are not set, the ticketing system will not be as beneficial as it could be. 

srlawren

@Sirius there are no family plans here and don't see that coming any time in the forseeable future.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Sirius

nobody understand what I mean by locked sim card :  when we try to activate and it fail because the sim card wasn't in a phone,  when we try again it say : sim card # reserved  try again in 50 minutes. This is what I mean by locked...  so anyway  I'll try later on this afternoon. Meanwhile I have to think about the implications of having an account without any support and no decent way to have a familly account... I have a disability on my righht arm and have a hard time typing. It won't be easy to argue in this forum

Sirius

first  I don't know what you mean by As for family plan, they sort of do have that... for every addtional line, simply use one other family line as a referral. That gets you an additional $1 off per month.  FAMILLY LINE ? 

2  the sim card is only "locked/reserved" when I try to activate it again after failing once....if public mobile doesn't want to activate it, well they won't sell me a new one for sure I won't buy a ton of sim card for not getting any decent support

Sirius

I already sent a useless private message to get help..   what I mean is that the SIM card number with tons of num,bers doesn't work anymore because it is locked ..as they say  to another customer..   i don't need help from a member , I need help from a worker at public mobile to unlock that long number sim card#

@Sirius wrote:

yes it's a second line for my kid, now the sim number is locked

public mobile should have a familly plan

locked SIM can sometimes be resolved by mods via back office or sometimes requires replacing the SIM. Unfortunately, only they can resolve this or take the SIM back to store and try to get a replacement.

As for family plan, they sort of do have that... for every addtional line, simply use one other family line as a referral. That gets you an additional $1 off per month. 

@SiriusActivating and SIM lock are 2 different things.. either way you might want to start your own thread so more people can see your problem and help you.

Sirius

yes it's a second line for my kid, now the sim number is locked

public mobile should have a familly plan

srlawren

@Sirius wrote:

in the mean time I'm stuck with my problem and nobody to help....   public mobile will loose a customer and I'll loose the $ I paid for the sim card.  I can't activate it

@Sirius is this a second line?  Your previous posts on July 19th make it sound like you have an active line already.

Sirius

in the mean time I'm stuck with my problem and nobody to help....   public mobile will loose a customer and I'll loose the $ I paid for the sim card.  I can't activate it

Well, there is currently an issue with the times Moderator_Team are staffed right now.  It's listed as EST.  Currently, most clocks in Canada are referencing Daylight Saving Time.

They need to update SIMon to reflect ET, not EST or EDT.  I've ranted about this before.  It's an ongoing saga.  No one is perfect, nor should we expect it.

@pm-smayer97I think Telus can get away with it because discerning people are a minority and people just join Public Mobile just by looking at the price of the plan. Heck, there was a post a few days ago thanking PM for offering an alternative to Big 3.

As for customer complaints, turning into anger / action.. Lets use the available data from CCTS (mid year report) Appendix A. It seems Public Mobile got the least number of complaints out of the Telus empire (and even to manage a slight drop).. You were worried about Koodo being squeezed.. it looks like they weren't doing that great to start.

Public Mobile does get more complaints than Chatr and Lucky. Of course the number is not adjusted to subscriber base, shrinking market segment etc.. but with all the bruh haha and  hee hawing on this forum.. I was expecting more complaints.

mimmo

I do believe that both @ShawnC13  and everyone else is correct.  people's expectations need to be managed.  if someone asks Simon what the wait time is and gets a reply 2 hours but sometimes longer.  that should be considered due dillegence?  and the typical person would expect a peak time reply maybe in 4 to a max 6 hours, based of the initial time frame.

if they said expect initial replies within 24 hours i think 48 maybe becomes a good peak time reply.  

we can keep discussing expectations vs reality, but nothing will change, as we have little influence on the staffing decisions.  we can only hope that this new ticketing form will help reduce the time for moderator first contact and proper resolution.   and if it does great, if it doesn't then hopefully PM will start looking at the causes of the issues and start addressing those ( activation failures, voucher issues, auto payfailure, cc not being accepted, etc..)  and if those get fixed that means less people with issues needing help.

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@pm-smayer97, you may have missed my post where I did mention that there used to be those features but the majority of users here signed up when that was not available to them.  

As for the opening of kiosks that isn't acknowledging that online only doesn't work.  The customer service is still online as the kiosks are for actiavtions., Just like other retail locations

@ShawnC13 wrote:

I know the system isn't perfect and sometimes it isn't even adequate but I do find it funny how many people are saying it is the worst and not a great idea for a community based system.  I know there was a call centre  for the customer that joined a long time ago but the majority of users signed up knowing this was the way things are done here.  If you don't like the system  or it is the worst system ever, why are you still here?  It must work or this still wouldn't be in operation and supporting something that you don't like well then that is an issue you will have to deal with yourself.  

Again I am not saying what is happening it acceptable.  My big point is people should have been aware of the possibility of what could happen  when you have PM as a cell provider.  We must know what  we are  getting into when we agree to give a company our business.

1. RE: past features

No, I did not miss that. I joined post call centre but when PM was still advertising 2-4 hours response times. No mention of up to 48 hours, which was rare anyway. 

2. re: purpose of opening kiosks 

Though you are strictly correct in their immediate purpose, you are being too narrow in the interpretation of motive and too generous to PM.

3. re: customer service being online

again, with the stated service levels and their move to strictly online would suggest to many people that they have the facility to do so reasonably well... but clearly they do not

4. re: "people should have been aware of the possibility of what could happen  when you have PM as a cell provider.  We must know what  we are  getting into when we agree to give a company our business"

Again, on what basis would users know? They only thing available is material they put out, which again, still states service levels measured in hours! And choosing to be strictly online carries an implied expectation that they can perform business there reasonably well. Clearly they cannot at the moment. (my previous outline highlights this quite thoroughly)

@will13am wrote:

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

Using one of your frequently quoted remarks "people need to take the system for what it is and not what they want it to be"  ...

The problem with that statement is that PM advertises one level of service but rarely delivers. There was a time when they promoted response times within 4 hours, then changed it to 48 hours, as it still supposedly stands. BUT most of my experiences have been response times measured in multiple DAYS. 

So the problem is that many signed up with a certain expectation, SET BY PUBLIC MOBILE! Also, since PM is a strictly ONLINE company (at least lately, though they are re-introducing kiosks, so the model keeps changing), the expectation would be that they have the right facilities to manage the company totally online. BUT as has been identified many times in the forum, there are MANY problems with the Self-Serve system and their customer service system lacks proper management. THAT DISPARITY is what many are complaining about. AND rightly so.

Also remember the history... PM started out with stores and call centre, then when Telus bought them, they closed the stores, then closed the call centre. So PM's original model was NOT online only.

So you cannot say "take the system for what it is" because it is NOT what is being sold.

And PM's move back to opening up kiosks, is that their way of acknowledging that online only does not work? (It might work IF they had the right systems and processes in place).

And @Alan_K a form alone is not enough to solve all the problems. That is just one piece of it. Again, I hope that the points in the outline I wrote are being addressed.

P.S. Many people stay because the prospect of savings is attractive. They stay because they hold out hope that things can and will improve. They also stay because change is not always easy, especially if you have/mange multiple accounts. 

My favorite line is sometimes taken as absolute and out of context.  You are so correct about the moving goal posts.  I did mention in my earlier post that past service levels are what I had come to enjoy.  I can recalibrate with time.  It is interesting how the moderator team knowledge base still refer to usual response times of 1 hour.  That ship has sailed long ago.  Even the 48 hours is fast becoming a fairy tale.  We live in Canada.  It is undeniable that the lack of competition allow carrier brands to do practically whatever they want with impunity.  

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/The-Public-Mobile-Moderator-Team/ta-p/...

And to quote from THAT link, PM is still showing the following:

"During business hours, we strive to answer customer messages swiftly. You will often get an answer within an hour. During peak periods, you may need to wait up to 48 hours."

😕   Hmmmm

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

Using one of your frequently quoted remarks "people need to take the system for what it is and not what they want it to be"  ...

The problem with that statement is that PM advertises one level of service but rarely delivers. There was a time when they promoted response times within 4 hours, then changed it to 48 hours, as it still supposedly stands. BUT most of my experiences have been response times measured in multiple DAYS. 

So the problem is that many signed up with a certain expectation, SET BY PUBLIC MOBILE! Also, since PM is a strictly ONLINE company (at least lately, though they are re-introducing kiosks, so the model keeps changing), the expectation would be that they have the right facilities to manage the company totally online. BUT as has been identified many times in the forum, there are MANY problems with the Self-Serve system and their customer service system lacks proper management. THAT DISPARITY is what many are complaining about. AND rightly so.

Also remember the history... PM started out with stores and call centre, then when Telus bought them, they closed the stores, then closed the call centre. So PM's original model was NOT online only.

So you cannot say "take the system for what it is" because it is NOT what is being sold.

And PM's move back to opening up kiosks, is that their way of acknowledging that online only does not work? (It might work IF they had the right systems and processes in place).

And @Alan_K a form alone is not enough to solve all the problems. That is just one piece of it. Again, I hope that the points in the outline I wrote are being addressed.

P.S. Many people stay because the prospect of savings is attractive. They stay because they hold out hope that things can and will improve. They also stay because change is not always easy, especially if you have/mange multiple accounts. 

@pm-smayer97, you may have missed my post where I did mention that there used to be those features but the majority of users here signed up when that was not available to them.  

As for the opening of kiosks that isn't acknowledging that online only doesn't work.  The customer service is still online as the kiosks are for actiavtions., Just like other retail locations

@ShawnC13 wrote:

I know the system isn't perfect and sometimes it isn't even adequate but I do find it funny how many people are saying it is the worst and not a great idea for a community based system.  I know there was a call centre  for the customer that joined a long time ago but the majority of users signed up knowing this was the way things are done here.  If you don't like the system  or it is the worst system ever, why are you still here?  It must work or this still wouldn't be in operation and supporting something that you don't like well then that is an issue you will have to deal with yourself.  

Again I am not saying what is happening it acceptable.  My big point is people should have been aware of the possibility of what could happen  when you have PM as a cell provider.  We must know what  we are  getting into when we agree to give a company our business.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@mimmo wrote:

@pm-smayer97  the have actually removed (or maybe never added) the additional time frame. 

I guess pm constantly runs on peak periods. I have to say the reply time statement is very misleading. But who would want to join a company where they say it typically takes 24 to 48 hours, but if we have a slower than average day you might get a reply in 2 hours. 

Screenshot_20190731_062320_com.android.chrome.jpg

I see they had to change their material again to cover themselves.

But I guess it is peak time most of the time. BTW, the only time I saw PM return close to the 2 hours response time was shortly after the call centre was closed; maybe as a result of redeployed staff? But that is not consistent... 

And the current wording STILL sets up false expectations... since they only mention the 2 hours timeframe. WHen delays happen, given THAT context, would expect longer responses, in the several hours maybe but would never expect response times to take DAYS!

So PM is still promoting misleading and false information. So when customers are disgruntled, they are the ONLY ones to blame, not the customers that post on this forum that they are unhappy.

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

My favorite line is sometimes taken as absolute and out of context.  You are so correct about the moving goal posts.  I did mention in my earlier post that past service levels are what I had come to enjoy.  I can recalibrate with time.  It is interesting how the moderator team knowledge base still refer to usual response times of 1 hour.  That ship has sailed long ago.  Even the 48 hours is fast becoming a fairy tale.  We live in Canada.  It is undeniable that the lack of competition allow carrier brands to do practically whatever they want with impunity.  

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/The-Public-Mobile-Moderator-Team/ta-p/...

@JackQuint wrote:

I know I am repeating myself, but PM is satisfied with a system that is designed to make responsiveness slow. There is nothing novel or innovative about a ticket system. This could have been implemented years ago and it's only being done because mod response times are now routinely in the 4 to 5 day range. By design, Telus wants response time of 2 days, not faster. 

The more support they can download to the community, the better. If they can frustrate customers enough to incent them onto Koodo, even better. PM is what it is and use it because the value proposition works for you ... but let's not congratulate them for it nor think that they care about the service level they provide. This is a third tier flanker brand from a company with notoriously poor customer service (Telus) to start with. Don't kid yourselves.

That is poor business logic because PM being part of Telus risks tarnishing the ALL the associated brands. Because if the parent company is not managing PM well, how good are they with the other 2 (Kood and Telus)?

(That said, I have to admit that my customer service experience with Telus over the last 15 years (yes I still have an account with them) has always been excellent, unlike other brands, including PM. But I started there...I guess that is one reason I thought to try PM.)

It might seem like a contradiction, but Koodo is caught in the middle...so would users truly migrate from pre-paid to post-paid and with a brand associated with poor customer service?

mimmo

@pm-smayer97  the have actually removed (or maybe never added) the additional time frame. 

I guess pm constantly runs on peak periods. I have to say the reply time statement is very misleading. But who would want to join a company where they say it typically takes 24 to 48 hours, but if we have a slower than average day you might get a reply in 2 hours. 

Screenshot_20190731_062320_com.android.chrome.jpg

@ShawnC13 wrote:

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@JackQuint wrote:

I know I am repeating myself, but PM is satisfied with a system that is designed to make responsiveness slow. There is nothing novel or innovative about a ticket system. This could have been implemented years ago and it's only being done because mod response times are now routinely in the 4 to 5 day range. By design, Telus wants response time of 2 days, not faster. 

The more support they can download to the community, the better. If they can frustrate customers enough to incent them onto Koodo, even better. PM is what it is and use it because the value proposition works for you ... but let's not congratulate them for it nor think that they care about the service level they provide. This is a third tier flanker brand from a company with notoriously poor customer service (Telus) to start with. Don't kid yourselves.

Personally as crazy as this sounds, I don't think its the end of the world if my phone service doesn't work I'm a patient person for the most part, so id just waits for to get fixed and run my own troubleshooting methods, its worth it for the reduction in cost. That said id contact the moderators when appropriate, and wait as long as needed I'm in no rush always have a backup plan, like a wifi VoIP line.

JackQuint
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

Sorry for the rant and scrambled up post but to keep reading how bad this place is and people not moving on to something that works for them  is pointless you are showing that it is worth supporting.

Are you condoning a 3 day moderator response time?  I do agree that customers can choose to stay and suck it up or just leave.  I am sure Public Mobile is not content with the current level of customer service.  Well hopefully they are not content.  Those that have chosen to stay are merely reminding the service provider that they could do a lot better. 

@will13am  I did not condone any such thing as stated in the first sentence.  My point was people should have known the business model and customer service method when they signed up.  To have people posting that this system never works in any other place they have seen it makes me wonder why they signed up here?

Using one of your frequently quoted remarks "people need to take the system for what it is and not what they want it to be"  That isn't saying there isn't room for improvement just saying if people are exp[ecting call centres and live chat they better not be holding their breath until it happens.

While I lament about the increase in response time from a few hours to a few days, I don't expect that past performance is an indication of future results.  I will remind them of the past.  My feedback is not actionable, just good advice. 

Need Help? Let's chat.