Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alert Ready Test on May 5, 2021

Vivian_Y
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

On May 5, 2021, provincial and territorial governments will be conducting another test of the Alert Ready system. Alert Ready is designed to deliver critical and potentially life-saving alerts to Canadians. Test alerts educate Canadians on what an emergency alert will look and sound like in the event of a life-threatening situation.

The test alert will be distributed on TV, Radio and wireless. However, not all Canadians will receive the test alert on their mobile device. This may occur for a variety of reasons; device compatibility, connection to an LTE network, cell tower coverage and device software and settings.

To learn more about the Alert Ready service, what devices are supported, and the test schedule for your province or territory, visit alertready.ca.

-Public Mobile Community Team

25 REPLIES 25

@Anonymous 

It was on tv too...I would say its legit.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : Yup. And the spouse on Telus.

Edit: What's puzzling is that the alert did not stay in the texting app where the other one still is. And I only got one on my dual-sim phone with two active accounts. So something's odd. I don't know if hackers can do these things.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Anyone else in the country just get an unscheduled emergency test?

Screenshot_20210512-121632_Messages.jpg

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 : So I updated to A11. Cruising through all the settings and I stumble across (and I now remember seeing it before) Settings/Notifications/Advanced settings/Wireless emergency alerts. Seems I could turn off alerts. I chose to leave them all on. Civic duty and all that.

Most Android phones that I've seen have this setting. This setting will do nothing to block the alerts.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 : So I updated to A11. Cruising through all the settings and I stumble across (and I now remember seeing it before) Settings/Notifications/Advanced settings/Wireless emergency alerts. Seems I could turn off alerts. I chose to leave them all on. Civic duty and all that.

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 : A31 on A10 (just downloaded A11). I have a setting "Use mobile data during calls". I'm sure it's because I have dual-sim. Indeed my S7 on A8 does not have that option. That SIM is in suspension and in airplane mode. I turned off airplane mode and no alert.

But nor was I using my phone when I got the alert.

I'm not sure why someone would want to turn data off during a phone call, but the point remains that whenever a Public Mobile customer is in a call, the LTE network cannot be connected to.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 : A31 on A10 (just downloaded A11). I have a setting "Use mobile data during calls". I'm sure it's because I have dual-sim. Indeed my S7 on A8 does not have that option. That SIM is in suspension and in airplane mode. I turned off airplane mode and no alert.

But nor was I using my phone when I got the alert.

@Anonymous 

For my neighbour to check is pointless....he still doesn't know how to take a screenshot when he recieved his QR code for his vaccine appointment. But woohoo we are both booked in for next Friday!

@Anonymous wrote:

@darlicious : Oh that _is_ interesting. I would say that's silly too seeing as how the phone _can_ do LTE. But it's not actively on it. hmm. Isn't there a setting for data while on a call? Or to allow all alerts? I dunno.

There isn't a setting for that. Being in a phone call temporarily disables LTE for any Public Mobile customer. The alert would only be received after the call has ended, assuming that the emergency event/alert is still ongoing.  Regardless, data settings aren't related to the alerts. Data doesn't need to be enabled.If you're simply wondering if it's possible to have data on LTE and calls on 3g at the same time, it isn't  - unless you're using two different SIM cards in a dual SIM card phone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : Oh that _is_ interesting. I would say that's silly too seeing as how the phone _can_ do LTE. But it's not actively on it. hmm. Isn't there a setting for data while on a call? Or to allow all alerts? I dunno.

@Anonymous 

Aha....that is a bit of a weird one but we were on the phone when the test was sent out with me using my fongo app on my tablet while he was on his phone....thus on 3G. Seems silly that you don't get the alert with pm if you are on a call during an emergency/test.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I got mine @ 1:55pm PT. The phone needs to be connecting to LTE. Not just the 3G trick. And not a 3G-only phone.

I didn't receive any alert at all... what time was it??

Test recieved on both my moto g7+ and my samsung A3. Not recieved on my neighbour's Umidigi F1 though....

jonfirlotte
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Thanks for the heads up!

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Canceled for Ontario, but i was gonna say not for me! As least not if it's while I'm sleeping which is all over the place. I literally take the time every night to switch by device to WCDMA only, and then auto connect (LTE) during my day with a launcher shortcut I made lol.

I don't mind them telling people what's up, but I'm disabled and cant even see a road from here so can't exactly be on a lookout as the original purpose. I also suffer with a sleep related condition and alerts override DND mode with terrifying sound despite settings saying to show the visual popup only for the odd time I can even sleep as it's extremely needed by then. So I found a way around them lol. Especially now if it's gonna happen regularly for covid updates. I check in with news and already can't go anywhere so I don't personally care in my unique situation lol.

Not complaining, at all, it's a great program overall and I'm glad it's there for all those out and about and who can take advantage of it. but just sharing this as there *is* a workaround for those who do complain, even if it's not for legit reasons like mine, you can stop them if that's the end goal. Rather than random people calling 911 angry about them like last time, just turn them off instead lol 😉 

Controversial I know, but I do what I need for my health

Dtack

Good to know - thanks for the heads up!

kaytus
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

This is good information to know the last time it snuck up on me and scared the bejesus out of me!

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Thanks for the head up.  

I hope people would not complain again this time, ppl just like complain about alert like this .. LoL

prairiedogbob
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

This is good information to know the last time it snuck up on me and scared the bejesus out of me!

@Asher2 wrote:

I know that there is an alert ready test scheduled for May 5th as found on announcements in the community.

But i found news (link here https://mobilesyrup.com/2021/04/29/alert-ready-issuing-test-emergency-alerts-on-may-5-in-select-regi... )

That the Ontario Alert Ready test is cancelled, is this true???

Hi @Asher2 I am in Ontario, so the link you provided is helpful.  thanks

Have a great weekend

RosieR

fellow customer

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I just received an alert from Alberta about the new COVID-19 restrictions in Alberta.

Stay positive, Test negative.  Have a better and better days!

It's good to see the linked site showing the correct information. Too often, I have seen news articles (and sometimes even cell phone carriers) incorrectly state that data needs to be enabled when it actually doesn't.

@Asher2 

I think you have answered your own question according to the article

Asher2

I know that there is an alert ready test scheduled for May 5th as found on announcements in the community.

But i found news (link here https://mobilesyrup.com/2021/04/29/alert-ready-issuing-test-emergency-alerts-on-may-5-in-select-regi... )

That the Ontario Alert Ready test is cancelled, is this true???

Need Help? Let's chat.