Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A letter from Dave on the infamous $40 for 4GB price change

Dave_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

I am writing to you today to let you know that we will not be moving forward with a price increase on the infamous “$40 for 4GB” plan ($120 90-day Province-Wide Talk + Text + 12GB Data), contrary to the SMS that customers on that plan received yesterday.

After sending out an offer to select customers, we heard your feedback loud and clear: we said no surprises, and we surprised you. While all good things must come to an end at some point – that point is not today. As a brand, we have always been proud of our transparency, and of our commitment to our customers. We are sincerely sorry for any frustration caused and we want you to know that this has been a learning experience for us all.

We have been reminded that you, our customers, are vocal and passionate. We’ve seen how much some of you love Public Mobile and we’ve also seen how many of you like the added value that our sister brand, Koodo, has to offer. To that end, we are happy to say that the Koodo offer that our Public customers on the “$40 for 4GB” plan received still remains available for anyone who wishes to take advantage of it.

Thank you for your continued support,

Dave

809 REPLIES 809

lukevader
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Alexowrote:

Found the shill!

Said the troll.

By the way to be a shill I would have to be a customer........ which I am NOT anymore. I left with the $60/10 plan which you were too cheap to follow

Alexo

@lukevaderwrote:

My gosh, you really have to be ignorant to not see this. Lets go over this statement again shall we? The work INITIAL is their out!! You signed up for the promo plan, you got to keep it after the promo period was over, even after your 90 days you got to keep it. In fact you got to keep it for an entire year. No promise is made here that its forever. You are all adding that into here yourself. Plus theres also this disclaimer:

TOS.PNG

Found the shill!

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Garrywrote:

I'm still moving to Koodo while the opportunity is presenting itself. 

Telus will find a legal way to shut this down without any concern or compensation next time and they be the last one laughing here.....

You may have won the battle today, but you all know Telus will win the war. 

Leave now, while you can.......

Gary - you could not be more wrong.

Today we witnessed Internet Justice.

We witnessed 2500 filed complaints to the CCTS (they received 9000 last year TOTAL!).

This has emboldened the Internet Mob to be even more vocal and aggressive.  This is akin to their Second Amendment fight. 

The next time Telus does this there will be 5000 CCTS complaints. The Internet Mob will be even more vocal and outraged.  They have learned, they have evolved.  They are smarter and will not lose again. 

Today demonstrated to the Internet Mob that they could win.

They will be even more dogged and determined next time. 

They know how to win now Gary.  And you don't. You're not used to winning are you.

lukevader

@Tallguy11wrote:

@Alexowrote:
I see this as nothing but damage control and setting the stage for a similar trick in the (possibly near) future.

The nost important thing that is conspiciously not addressed is the following statement (emphasis mine):

If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises.

if i could bravo this post a million times I would!!!!!!!

My gosh, you really have to be ignorant to not see this. Lets go over this statement again shall we? The word INITIAL is their out!! You signed up for the promo plan, you got to keep it after the promo period was over, even after your 90 days you got to keep it. In fact you got to keep it for an entire year. No promise is made here that its forever. You are all adding that into here yourself. Plus theres also this disclaimer:

TOS.PNG

koimr1

@Cat_Lwrote:

Hi @koimr1,

Thank you for your suggestion. I've seen a few Community members request the same thing so I wanted to let you know that there will be a text message going out in the next two to three hours. 

Cat 

Thank you, Cat.

Garry

I'm still moving to Koodo while the opportunity is presenting itself. 

Telus will find a legal way to shut this down without any concern or compensation next time and they be the last one laughing here.....

You may have won the battle today, but you all know Telus will win the war. 

Leave now, while you can.......

tparchie
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If that day comes, good bye all Telus brands.

Bell lost my business 10 years ago.

Will Telus be next?

Cat_L
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hi @koimr1,

Thank you for your suggestion. I've seen a few Community members request the same thing so I wanted to let you know that there will be a text message going out in the next two to three hours. 

Cat 

Alexo

@MK78wrote:

When they attempt it again, it will likely mean that Public Mobile will be shut down.

Sounds like this is the endgame.

tparchie
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

"While all good things must come to an end at some point – that point is not today. "

No, how about you uphold your end of the deal and allow me to keep the price I agreed to, as long as I keep renewing.

You've made a good decision in backing down, but you've lost a lot of trust.

What will you do to earn our trust back?

When is the right time for you to raise our prices?

staticcory
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Wow, what a 24 hours it's been, this is amazing. Although I respect PM for standing by their word, I do find the "While all good things must come to an end at some point – that point is not today" line very shady, and suspect they will try to pull some stunt in the near future.

Remember, not all good things have to end at some point, especially when you tell your customers it WON'T. That's the difference.

Either way, thanks for doing the right thing.

mtfolks
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Yeah I don’t think anything’s been won here. It’s only a temporary reprieve. 

They’ll likely go back to their lawyers and find a legal way to circumvent their obligations. 

If an equal or better promo pops up elsewhere I’d think long and hard about taking it. 

Alexo

@Hugs29wrote:

Why do all good things have to come to and end????

Because of corporate greed?

lukevader

@pakmodewrote:

@lukevaderwrote:

Soo all I see is a bunch of whiners in this thread standing on their social justice warrior keyboards thinking that their CCTS complaints actually changed pm's mind. You guys couldnt be further from the truth but I guess we will never know now. I was really looking forward to all you sad sad complainers eating your words that pm didn't do anything illegal. Kinda like mueller had to do today.

Luke Vader. Buddy, Timeout for you.

5 minute penalty gross incompetence.

10 minute major penalthy no idea what is going on.

Wow, I think you should look at your own penalties and apply them to yourself cause I'm not going to listen to them haha. 

Tallguy11
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Alexowrote:

@Dave_Mwrote:

After sending out an offer to select customers, we heard your feedback loud and clear: we said no surprises, and we surprised you. While all good things must come to an end at some point – that point is not today.

I see this as nothing but damage control and setting the stage for a similar trick in the (possibly near) future.

The nost important thing that is conspiciously not addressed is the following statement (emphasis mine):

If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises.

That was communicated to the customers on an official channel.

The wording of the promise is unambiguous, and the wording of Dave's letter is also unambiguous in that Telus/PM plan to violate that promise as soon as the furor dies down.

I urge everybody to take copies and screenshots of the thread in order to have proof of the promise even if PM decides to delete or modify that post.

The original thread:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Last-day-to-get-our-limited-time...

The latest copy saved on the wayback machine:

https://wayback.archive.org/web/20180216162521/https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announ...

A copy I just saved on archive.is:

https://archive.is/80Ma4

Remember, this is not over!

Also, for all those that submitted CCTS complaints:

When you are contacted, please insist that the only acceptable resolution for this fiasco is for Telus/PM to publically commit to honouring all the promises given to its customers.

if i could bravo this post a million times I would!!!!!!!

pakmode

@lukevaderwrote:

Soo all I see is a bunch of whiners in this thread standing on their social justice warrior keyboards thinking that their CCTS complaints actually changed pm's mind. You guys couldnt be further from the truth but I guess we will never know now. I was really looking forward to all you sad sad complainers eating your words that pm didn't do anything illegal. Kinda like mueller had to do today.

Luke Vader. Buddy, Timeout for you.

5 minute penalty gross incompetence.

10 minute major penalthy no idea what is going on.

The CCTS has not even begun to send out the complaints yet!!

The 5 guys working the office got into their desks today and said O. M.  G.

Our Friday went from 5 investigations to 2500 investigations. 

What do we do now. 

Alexo

@Dave_Mwrote:

After sending out an offer to select customers, we heard your feedback loud and clear: we said no surprises, and we surprised you. While all good things must come to an end at some point – that point is not today.

That was communicated to the customers on an official channel.

The wording of the promise is unambiguous, and the wording of Dave's letter is also unambiguous in that Telus/PM plan to violate that promise as soon as the furor dies down.

I urge everybody to take copies and screenshots of the thread in order to have proof of the promise even if PM decides to delete or modify that post.

The original thread:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Last-day-to-get-our-limited-time...

The latest copy saved on the wayback machine:

https://wayback.archive.org/web/20180216162521/https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announ...

A copy I just saved on archive.is:

https://archive.is/80Ma4

Remember, this is not over!

Also, for all those that submitted CCTS complaints:

When you are contacted, please insist that the only acceptable resolution for this fiasco is for Telus/PM to publically commit to honouring all the promises given to its customers.

pakmode

@Tallguy11wrote:

@will13amwrote:

@ToniCiprianiwrote:

@Wi11iamwrote:

Thank you for listening PM. 

They're not. Re-read the letter, basically it's: "you win this time, we'll be back with vengeance."

And you think we can't mount the same response next time?  If we are going to score round 1, I would say the customer came out way on top.  The damage control of having to clean up the CCTS mess will take months.  The publicity nightmare will have an effect.

yup u bet the news outlets will pick up on this story!! its david vs goliath

Yes, this was internet mob justice at it's finest.

How the Web was won starring:

Public Mobile Community Forums

Redflagdeals

Social Media 

and guest starring

Mobile Syrup and iphone Canada

koimr1

@MK78wrote:

@CalvinWwrote:

@will13am PM already damaged their reputation with this shenanigans. What do they have to lose? There are loopholes they can use to justify their price increase. When they attempt this again, I’m pretty sure they will have something up their sleeves 

When they attempt it again, it will likely mean that Public Mobile will be shut down.

If that were to happen that would result in a lot of potential customers looking for someone other than a Telus brand.

everbamboo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

they've been doing more billboard ads (big signage, at bus stop, etc).

jpar

Is pm really big enough to even attract mainstream news attention ?

pakmode

@will13amwrote:

@ToniCiprianiwrote:

@Wi11iamwrote:

Thank you for listening PM. 

They're not. Re-read the letter, basically it's: "you win this time, we'll be back with vengeance."

And you think we can't mount the same response next time?  If we are going to score round 1, I would say the customer came out way on top.  The damage control of having to clean up the CCTS mess will take months.  The publicity nightmare will have an effect.

The problem is Round 1 hasn't even started yet!

We didn't even know there was a fight until yesterday!

Round 1 is next week once the CCTS begins to actually send out the 2500 complaint, piece by piece.  Good luck Telus!

chrism604
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you @Dave_M for hearing the words of your customers. I want to support a company that can keep their word and provide a valuable service. This does tarnish the reputation that I held of PM, but I hope that you will be maintain the service and value that we've come to expect and gain that back.

Tallguy11

@CalvinWwrote:

@will13am PM already damaged their reputation with this shenanigans. What do they have to lose? There are loopholes they can use to justify their price increase. When they attempt this again, I’m pretty sure they will have something up their sleeves 

ya they are going to sit on sending out a txt till the last day of this "promo" in hopes a good majority of ppl with switch to koodo, leaving a small percentage left on this plan...

I really hope a new outlet runs a story on this tonight so the word will spread about the increase being cancelled!

MVP

Heheh. I enjoyed this drama. Or should one say,  musical?  🙂

Thank you PM for growing up  a bit !

🙂

Shutdown

"While all good things must come to an end at some point – that point is not today." I think this implies they are going to change the promo from LTE plan to 3g in the future since they can't increase price.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is great news. 

A win for the masses.  Might not last forever, but at least a temporary win.  Gives people time to rethink and plan for what might still be inevitable.

jpar

@MK78wrote:

@CalvinWwrote:

Sadly, I think this will eventually be the case. 

MK78

@CalvinWwrote:

Gimli

@matbasmwrote:

Regardless of the true reason why PM is rolling back the increase, I am totally shocked. I never thought that consumer outrage, mostly on an internal forum, could cause this kind of an about-face.  It truly is remarkable.

Way to go everybody!

Still don't trust them, though...

There was nothing "internal" about the outrage.

I was so pissed I filed complaints with CCTS / Comp. Bureau, and reached out to media outlets.  Also smacked a few "twerks" to Telus and PM's twitter accounts.

Need Help? Let's chat.