Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Letter from Dave: Looking back on 2019 and our 2020 goals

Dave_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community, 

As we enter the final month of the year (and decade!) I wanted to take the time to reflect on what a year it’s been. I also wanted to thank you all for another great year. Public Mobile could not be where it is today without you, our customers. 

We kicked off the year focused on your wishlist from 2018

• Faster Moderator response times
  • Improved ticketing process
  • Additional goodness from SIMon

Since last year, we’ve beefed up our Community support and brought response times down from days to minutes, getting you connected to Moderators faster. Our virtual assistant SIMon is also now better equipped to support you: SIMon has resolved 70% of all issues without needing a Moderator, and houses our new streamlined ticketing process, which helps you get better and faster support. All this progress wouldn’t be possible without you, our passionate Community. Thank you to those who have helped us identify these issues, test our systems, and provide feedback. While this progress is good, our journey is far from over. I encourage you to continue to provide feedback to help us build a better service for you.  

We recognize that you are at the heart of everything we do, which is why we’ve refocused our brand promise. Our new motto “we’re for you” isn’t just for looks, we want to make sure you’re at the center of our systems, promotions, and even campaigns. We’ve been putting that into action, from free data giveaways to our #PublicMobilePDA campaign, where we broadcast the things you love on billboards across Canada! 

But 2019 wasn’t all rosy. Earlier this year many of you experienced issues with your service because, frankly, our systems just weren’t good enough. In August, we made significant improvements to ensure that this didn’t happen again. Part of this required removing our Build Your Own Plan Calculator. This wasn’t an easy decision, and we know that many of you enjoyed the flexibility of the calculator. We’ve heard that feedback and are planning to introduce some enhancements to our plans in the coming year because of it. At the end of the day, having reliable service is just table stakes, and we want to make Public Mobile the best it can be for you. We have made improvements over the last year, but we’re not done yet. 

As we continue to focus on our customers and what you want, in 2020 we’re focusing on a wishlist of things you have asked for: 

• A simpler and mobile-friendly self serve experience
  • Promotions and programs that benefit you, our valued customers
  • Continuing to ensure that our systems are best-in-class and improving the experience you have when you need to get help 
  • An enhanced Community that is easier to use and more engaging 

As we work on this wishlist in the new year, we want to do so with more transparency. Our goal is to keep you more informed on the decisions we make and why we make them. 

But, before we kick of 2020, I want to take a moment to sincerely thank you for being a loyal Public Mobile customers and a valued member of the Community. Last year, we were #LessForLess, but now we’re for you.  As December is the season of giving, we wanted to show you (in addition to telling you) how much we appreciate all you do. Make sure to check back on the Community this coming Wednesday, December 4th for a special announcement about some free gifts coming your way. 

Sincerely, 

Dave

171 REPLIES 171

dboxtvinfo715
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

* 15 /m  with 500mb minimum and Autopay bonus 500mb would be a great reference 

dboxtvinfo715

agree, much better last few 

In my honest opinions, I think PM should allow the PM Client to, when building their plan, and when in self-serve, to pick what they need. 

I think it's possible to have CERTAIN frills, and still keep the thing confined to the Online support only. and keeping it under the Prepaid banner

Dand1l
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Regarding 3G and LTE, my phone will show 3G, 4G, or LTE, depending on the circumstances.  I don't know if it would show an LTE signal even though it's 3G speed.

danielj
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Slogans, Promotions, and Kiosks are the items that are typically expected of the Telus and Koodo Brands, not Public Mobile. Yet Public Mobile has changed their strategy of those exact items over the last couple of years. If the customers wanted to pay for those items they would switch to those items.

Price, customer service and community is what is what will ideally improve in the future involving Public Mobile.

Due to the slight increase in competition instead of focusing on service quality, customer service, price and community, Public Mobile has chased the competitors with the competitors own play book.

Ideally Public Mobile would invest their time and money well and get the greatest return for the customers and shareholders.

@darlicious

I wasn't attracted to PM because of the slogan. I didn't even know PM had a slogan until after I'd already signed on, lol.

I was attracted to PM because of their prices and plans. They were better deals than anything offered by anyone else in Canada - I'd googled up the "list of Canadian cellphone companies" and methodically compared every option available in my province.

But now PM has lost the edge and seems content to simply follow and (mostly) hold pace with Lucky. They don't have any obvious advantages to attract new customers (Rewards tend to pay off over time, not instantly). So PM's edge is slipping away as competitors offer more things like cheaper add-ons, unlimited data, LTE, etc. So I think it'll take more than the perfect slogan for PM to claim back the gold prize. 

@Korth wrote:

@danielj wrote:

Somewhat disappointing to see the change from #LessForLess, to we’re for you.

I'll admit I never liked the "Less For Less" slogan. Yeah, I get it, fancy way to say "Don't Pay For Frills" . But it just seemed (still seems) like a really bad advertising catchphrase to me, I'd never try to attract business by proudly advertising "Cheap For Cheap".

I agree that "We're For You" ain't a lot better. Bland, generic, forgettable. But I suppose not paying for top-tier marketing talent is part of what keeps Public Mobile's prices so low, lol. 

@Korth  I agree with you which has given me an idea since public mobile shouldn't waste money on a marketing or advertising firm...i certainly hope they didn't pay for those two! The phone company without a phone number was clever  but @Dave_M  why not run a "contest" but not with random winners instead actually choose the grand prize winners submission as the new marketing slogan for 2021. I'm sure your customers can come up with a catchy slogan that also comes from the heart as most of us are "die hard fans of your cheap plans"  because  as you know "you wont go bust for 2021 change your luck by saving a buck with public mobile"  and create a little buzz with the contests "grand" prize ...triple 7s for 2021...7 lucky winners will win triple monthly credits and one will win a triple yearly credit! (The grand prize slogan winner.)

@danielj wrote:

Somewhat disappointing to see the change from #LessForLess, to we’re for you.

I'll admit I never liked the "Less For Less" slogan. Yeah, I get it, fancy way to say "Don't Pay For Frills" . But it just seemed (still seems) like a really bad advertising catchphrase to me, I'd never try to attract business by proudly advertising "Cheap For Cheap".

I agree that "We're For You" ain't a lot better. Bland, generic, forgettable. But I suppose not paying for top-tier marketing talent is part of what keeps Public Mobile's prices so low, lol. 

JFF
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Thank you PUBLIC for another great year.  We are looking forward to your better products and services.

I really don't think there is any plan to move away from the No-Frills segment. Look at TELUS as a whole, the Top tier TELUS brand, Middle of the road Koodo Brand and No Frills Public Mobile Brand. They aren't going to try to compete with another one of their own brands.

For all the price competition in cellular in Canada, overall pricing is being forced down which diminishes the price spread between Top tier to No Frills segments. This is going to force PM to be a little more competitive overall and improve their customer service level while keeping the cost of service under control.

Personally I think this federal government election promise to reduce cell costs is a rediculous abuse of government power and timed just to get votes, too similar to US politics for me. (Full disclosure Inam a Telus shareholder) Cell costs have likely been reduced already by the government mandated/desired 25% amount over the last year or so. Us PM customers are perfect examples of how to substantially lower your cell cost by doing some research and making required moves. Others think that lower costs should just come to them with no effort on their part thus they are all in for government to meddle in areas they shouldn't. Those who don't want to do anything to help themselves should be left to pay more of the massive infrastructure costs if providing the ellular networks. It's called "competition"!

AE_Collector

danielj
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

PM‘s Build Your Own Plan Calculator will be missed. It will be interesting to see what enhancements to PM’s plans are to come. If at all possible it would be nice to re-introduce the calculator if feasible somewhere down the road. Possibly have more plan period frequencies once again may be interesting but probably too much of a niche market.

Somewhat disappointing to see the change from #LessForLess, to we’re for you. This is too much of a sign that they are considering moving away from the no-frills market offering. It will be interesting to watch as PM seems to move away from the no-frills, affordable plan model. Personally the #LessForLess, no frills model, I thought was a good idea and the key differentiator for PM. Hopefully PM does not become another Koodo, Fido, Virgin Mobile type of company. Offering full network plans at no-fills pricing was the key differentiator of PM to the competitors of Lucky Mobile, Chatr, and Wind/Freedom Mobile (Not fully built-out).

Ideally it would not be “promotions” that benefit loyal customers but overall plan pricing. Lower price of plans and add-ons may be ideal for more customers than a couple months of promotional pricing or an extra gig to hold on to until needed. Lower prices on plans and add-ons will allow more flexibility to get the extras such as an extra gig(s) when we the customers need it.

Having a plan or timeline for cellular service coverage in subways for other areas of further expension might be nice.

@Korth wrote:

I think PM's old $60 Plan had Unlimited Canada & US Talk. And Unlimited Canada & US Talk was an option on the plan builder, albeit I do recall being unimpressed with the price. But I guess demand for (or profit from) these Talk options weren't sustainable.

Although Plan Builder didn't have any roaming options, yes, it did have province-wide, Canada-wide, and options to call the U.S. I believe that for a 30 day billing cycle, that the plans maxed out at $72 For Canada-wide and calling to the U.S., texts, and 6GB of LTE data.

This might not be embraced by everyone, and Public Mobile probably won't do it, but I'll throw this suggestion out there anyway:  retroactively offer all new and existing customers who are on a plan that is $50 or more per 30 days (or the 90 day equivalent) full LTE speeds. This could encourage people to take the higher priced plans, but also satisfy some of the crititcs who aren't fans of the "3g" data.

@chad2001 wrote:
I know international roaming for PM will not happen overnight, but... 

1.  Please make available a plan that offers services in both US and Canada for snowbirds.  

2.  Give us more roaming add-on options

I think PM's old $60 Plan had Unlimited Canada & US Talk. And Unlimited Canada & US Talk was an option on the plan builder, albeit I do recall being unimpressed with the price. But I guess demand for (or profit from) these Talk options weren't sustainable.

I notice that PM inherits its international calling and long-distance packages from parent Telus packages. But PM also has some sort of arrangement with AT&T (USA) which Telus lacks, probably where they get their US Talk/Data. I suppose it might be possible for PM to approach Verizon, T-Mobile, etc - to expand their North America roaming packages or to negotiate lower USA roaming prices - if they're not already locked into some sort of AT&T agreement. But I don't think it would be financialky reasonable for PM to negotiate with foreign carriers in multiple countries unless they could reasonably expect enough customers would buy the options. I also doubt PM has a lot of leeway to exceed what their Telus parent companies offer, the Big Three don't like to rock the money boat or cannibalize their own brands. 

@Korth wrote:

@CannonFodder wrote:

3.) ..... it'd be nice if Telus could boost the strength of their(and in turn, PM's) signal, because in the area where we live, although we're within the area's coverage map, my signal to PM, and previously on Lucky, is rather crappy, whereas the signal via Rogers' system is quite good.

Public Mobile is based on the Telus network. And Telus has a network sharing agreement with Bell (and SaskTel, etc) - so to consumers they're functionally one big Canada-wide network with the same signal strength and quality of service (or lack thereof) everywhere.

You might just live in one of those weird areas where Rogers has better coverage (better network hardware) than Telus+Bell.

But you can also try using a different phone - your phone hardware and software could be better optimized for Rogers radio frequencies - your phone battery or firmware/software might be elderly enough to get awful signal on every network. 

Yes, I'm aware of the Telus + Bell network, and yes, I'm pretty sure this area, although within the coverage area of Telus + Bell, has better reception via Rogers' network, i.e. I've tried my wife's SIM in my phone, and reception IS better, at least while at home.

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@CannonFodder wrote:

1.) It'd be nice if accessing something as commonly used as voicemail didn't count against our available outgoing minutes(on the $15 plan).

Note: ALL service providers use minutes when accessing VM from your own cell phone.

That said, you can access your VM for free if you access it from ANY phone OTHER than your own. The simplest is to just dial your number (you can also dial the local VM access # but you would have to remember it). When you hear your outgoing message, press * (or it could be #; I tend to forget which) and you will be prompted to enter your VM password. Your minutes will not be used up this way.

Well sure, on the low cost plans, such as the $15 one I'm currently on, but most other plans don't.

As for checking VM via another phone, yes, I've read that here before, but thanks for the heads-up anyway.

chad2001
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
While I continue to support Public Mobile by referring family and friends, especially the elders and the "light" mobile users in my family, my main mobile line is still with Virgin Mobile.  As a frequent traveller, I'm not happy with Virgin's lack of reasonalbly priced roaming plans either, but at least it allows international roaming in the event of an emergency.  I know international roaming for PM will not happen overnight, but for the existing US roaming capability, Public Mobile could maybe improve the range of service offered:

1.  Please make available a plan that offers services in both US and Canada for snowbirds.  

2.  Give us more roaming add-on options:  perhaps a 30/60/90-day roaming option or an option allowing the 10-day roaming add-on to automatically renew!  One can add another 10-day roaming after the existing one expires, but it's more hassle, doesn't ensure continuous service, and users have reported issues. 

RoamMobility could be an option but I think everyone would prefer not having to change their number, so even at a slight higher cost, existing PM customers would pick PM over RoamMobility or other lower cost options for US Roaming.

Otherwise, keep up the good work and cheers to a more succesful 2020 !!

@CannonFodder wrote:

1.) It'd be nice if accessing something as commonly used as voicemail didn't count against our available outgoing minutes(on the $15 plan).

3.) ..... it'd be nice if Telus could boost the strength of their(and in turn, PM's) signal, because in the area where we live, although we're within the area's coverage map, my signal to PM, and previously on Lucky, is rather crappy, whereas the signal via Rogers' system is quite good.

You can access (call) your Voicemail from any phone by dialing your own number. You can choose "Rapid Prompts" from the Voicemail menus to speed up the computer babble. Not perfect workarounds but at least they help consume fewer of your calling minutes. 

And you can purchase the $5 500 minute Canada-wide Calling Add-on. Not free but $0.01 per minute isn't likely to break the bank, it's a LOT (>8 hours) of voicemail. 

Public Mobile is based on the Telus network. And Telus has a network sharing agreement with Bell (and SaskTel, etc) - so to consumers they're functionally one big Canada-wide network with the same signal strength and quality of service (or lack thereof) everywhere.

You might just live in one of those weird areas where Rogers has better coverage (better network hardware) than Telus+Bell.

But you can also try using a different phone - your phone hardware and software could be better optimized for Rogers radio frequencies - your phone battery or firmware/software might be elderly enough to get awful signal on every network. 

@CannonFodder wrote:

Note: ALL service providers use minutes when accessing VM from your own cell phone.

That said, you can access your VM for free if you access it from ANY phone OTHER than your own. The simplest is to just dial your number (you can also dial the local VM access # but you would have to remember it). When you hear your outgoing message, press * (or it could be #; I tend to forget which) and you will be prompted to enter your VM password. Your minutes will not be used up this way.

Being fairly new to PM, I definitely appreciate the freebies given out in the "More is Merrier" campaign, and the various ways that us non-power users can save a buck around here, but I do have some items on my personal wish-list:

2.) The server(s) that run this system need some more bandwidth, and/or hardware upgrades, because when there's a lot of activity, such as the aforementioned freebies being available, access to our accounts bogs down something terrible.

and

3.) This is THE big one for me..... it'd be nice if Telus could boost the strength of their(and in turn, PM's) signal, because in the area where we live, although we're within the area's coverage map, my signal to PM, and previously on Lucky, is rather crappy, whereas the signal via Rogers' system is quite good. Of course, once I leave home, it's fine, but while at home, the reception is VERY spotty. Smiley Frustrated

crystaldahlgren

It's truly refreshing to hear an honest self-review!! Thank-you.  😊

philipmac03

Good to know that PM is committed to serving its customers. Glad we made the switch

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TmainPMcommunit wrote:

Giving free sim card during these promos would make it easy to attract more customers

There was a recent promo that did that. Some stores give them when you activate with them.

@TmainPMcommunit wrote:

Giving free sim card during these promos would make it easy to attract more customers

Not exactly the same but they can effectively get a free SIM because they get a $10 credit if they use a referral. Of course, if they do not, they don't get the credit.

TmainPMcommunit

@Dave_M wrote:

Hey Community, 

As we enter the final month of the year (and decade!) I wanted to take the time to reflect on what a year it’s been. I also wanted to thank you all for another great year. Public Mobile could not be where it is today without you, our customers. 

We kicked off the year focused on your wishlist from 2018

• Faster Moderator response times
  • Improved ticketing process
  • Additional goodness from SIMon

Since last year, we’ve beefed up our Community support and brought response times down from days to minutes, getting you connected to Moderators faster. Our virtual assistant SIMon is also now better equipped to support you: SIMon has resolved 70% of all issues without needing a Moderator, and houses our new streamlined ticketing process, which helps you get better and faster support. All this progress wouldn’t be possible without you, our passionate Community. Thank you to those who have helped us identify these issues, test our systems, and provide feedback. While this progress is good, our journey is far from over. I encourage you to continue to provide feedback to help us build a better service for you.  

We recognize that you are at the heart of everything we do, which is why we’ve refocused our brand promise. Our new motto “we’re for you” isn’t just for looks, we want to make sure you’re at the center of our systems, promotions, and even campaigns. We’ve been putting that into action, from free data giveaways to our #PublicMobilePDA campaign, where we broadcast the things you love on billboards across Canada! 

But 2019 wasn’t all rosy. Earlier this year many of you experienced issues with your service because, frankly, our systems just weren’t good enough. In August, we made significant improvements to ensure that this didn’t happen again. Part of this required removing our Build Your Own Plan Calculator. This wasn’t an easy decision, and we know that many of you enjoyed the flexibility of the calculator. We’ve heard that feedback and are planning to introduce some enhancements to our plans in the coming year because of it. At the end of the day, having reliable service is just table stakes, and we want to make Public Mobile the best it can be for you. We have made improvements over the last year, but we’re not done yet. 

As we continue to focus on our customers and what you want, in 2020 we’re focusing on a wishlist of things you have asked for: 

• A simpler and mobile-friendly self serve experience
  • Promotions and programs that benefit you, our valued customers
  • Continuing to ensure that our systems are best-in-class and improving the experience you have when you need to get help 
  • An enhanced Community that is easier to use and more engaging 

As we work on this wishlist in the new year, we want to do so with more transparency. Our goal is to keep you more informed on the decisions we make and why we make them. 

But, before we kick of 2020, I want to take a moment to sincerely thank you for being a loyal Public Mobile customers and a valued member of the Community. Last year, we were #LessForLess, but now we’re for you.  As December is the season of giving, we wanted to show you (in addition to telling you) how much we appreciate all you do. Make sure to check back on the Community this coming Wednesday, December 4th for a special announcement about some free gifts coming your way. 

Sincerely, 

Dave

Megs20

I'm new to PM but I just wanted to say I'm impressed by your honesty and integrity in this post! Thank you!

marcnoel

I forgot to say LTE+ also.  Please see accompanying screenshot of my lockscreen, showing Public Mobile as the carrier and LTE+ as the signal.

20191210_151309.jpg

604cx9

Awesome! 

Keep it up and if I may request, the plans that included US roaming ($60) were a hit for friends and family. Would love to see those or versions of them at different price points coming back! 

VoLTE would be an nice added bonus too! 

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@NoOffenseBut , the removal of the plan builder did remove full speed LTE but its main goal was that it increased the stability of the self-serve portal. 

This has oft been repeated but I question the truth or extent of this. I have never seen any problems or improvements before or after this change. And what does removal of LTE have to do with improving the portal? No that was purely a business decision.

It's all been discussed before. (And I happen to agree with your assessment.)

But the fact remains that PM removed the Plan Builder and have made it evident they don't intend to bring it back.

So now PM offers essentially the same Plans at essentially the same prices as their competitors. From the perspective of a customer this at least makes direct comparisons very easy. 

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@NoOffenseBut , the removal of the plan builder did remove full speed LTE but its main goal was that it increased the stability of the self-serve portal. 

This has oft been repeated but I question the truth or extent of this. I have never seen any problems or improvements before or after this change. And what does removal of LTE have to do with improving the portal? No that was purely a business decision.

marcnoel

Regarding 3G and LTE, my phone will show 3G, 4G, or LTE, depending on the circumstances.  I don't know if it would show an LTE signal even though it's 3G speed.

Need Help? Let's chat.