cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long distance

Mariacyclista
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I’m on the unlimited talk and text plan between Canada and the US. Local people in my city calling me say they need to dial 1 to get through to me. Then they hear a message that long-distance charges may apply. Is there a way to remove this feature? I’m on unlimited talk and text between Canada and the US.

7 REPLIES 7

I have to admit, I really liked using that ferry back in the day. I wish they never shut it down.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nezgar 

You mean the Haney side. 🤣

Apparently I haven't subscribed to a landline in the Lower Mainland for quite some time.

Thanks for the update.

@Anonymous wrote:

But...it doesn't reflect the old original landline long distance. Maybe that's also old news I don't know.

It doesn't really matter now the way it used to be... all that matters is how it is today. 😉

I remember the days of calling long distance from Langley to North Vancouver or Ladner or Port Coquitlam. But that site shows them as local calls. But maybe the old long distances on landlines are gone.

Yup - All of the BC lower mainland is all one big local calling area now for landlines west of Abbotsford, and south of Squamish. I believe this change happened in the late 90's. (Squamish 1 way is long distance, and Abbotsford + Chilliwack are long distance to/from Vancouver - up to Aldergrove is included in the Vancouver local area for instance)

I remember calling across the river at the Albion ferry from a payphone on the Maple Ridge side to the langley side was long distance.... ridiculous. I could literally see the other side. But both sides could call Vancouver for free... So my dad had a line at his office in Vancouver permanently forwarded to our home number in Maple Ridge that people would call to reach us.... Ring them once as a signal to call us back haha.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Another hit from Nezgar!

But...it doesn't reflect the old original landline long distance. Maybe that's also old news I don't know.

I remember the days of calling long distance from Langley to North Vancouver or Ladner or Port Coquitlam. But that site shows them as local calls. But maybe the old long distances on landlines are gone.

Use this site to determine if a call from one number is traditionally long distance to another in Canada:

https://localcallingguide.com/lca_rcdist.php

@Mariacyclista The only way around this is to change your phone number. You being in the same city as the person calling isn't what counts. This also isn't a Public Mobile issue, unlesss a salesperson accidently gave you a number for a city that you didn't ask for. The carrier of the person calling you is who controls whether the call is long distance for that person.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Mariacyclista your phone number may not be local to your city. The plan has nothing to do with it. Its the second set of numbers that determine whether your number is local or not. Ie xxx yyy xxxx. Normally I would say please check the CNAC website to check if your number is local or not http://www.cnac.ca/co_codes/co_code_status.htm . And which 2nd set of numbers may be local to your city. You can change your number once per 30 days from within your self service account. Stay safe. Gowever @computergeek541 may have a better of doing this. Please share it.20200723_093448.jpg

Need Help? Let's chat.