Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vaccines, Splitting Hairs, Threading on Oracle Apple-cations and other joke/s

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Note this thread was split off from The Vaccine Discussion

@CFPartDeux 

I think I'm detecting a new variant.....thread variant! There are no vaccines against splitting thread variants! Quick mask up.....maybe it will pass us by.......😷😷😷😈

39 REPLIES 39

@darlicious wrote:

@Luddite 

Hmmmm....good to know. And pm is happy with everyone's participation level?

@darlicious Yes, seems forum participation is only one measure.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Anonymous 

You know what rotten apples bring?

PXL_20210722_154535049.jpgPXL_20210722_153837984.jpgPXL_20210722_154140931.jpgPXL_20210722_154603957.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope. X-Files was - I made this - in a kids voice.

@darlicious : I added a pic above for your entertainment.

@Anonymous 

I guess for some it's golden parachute. Maybe I took the position all to seriously and commitment is all in the eye of the beholder.

Alex P. Keaton you are correct! @CFPartDeux 

Screenshot_20210811-152649~2.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : Judging by the crickets...apparently. Seems they're not interested in rot.

Thanks @Luddite 

z10user4_2-1628722158821.png

@Luddite 

Hmmmm....good to know. And pm is happy with everyone's participation level?

@Anonymous wrote:

I remembered sit ubu from X-Files. I guess that was after. I didn't watch Family Ties.

Crickets sure are loud in here from anybody that cares from the company.

I think it should be at least time to re-evaluate Oracles though.

@Anonymous  Just thought I'd put your mind to rest on that last item; annual Oracle review done and dusted for this year.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@stevenanto 

When a thread is split or moved the author of the first post can change the subject title or the Oracle can but rarely does....in this case Shawn did change it but boring as it was I decided to put my twist on things but you do get the title of the post you replied to in this case @Anonymous  title but seeing that I am now going to back out of this message and reply to my post go you to give you my title in your notification feed.

There done!

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

wow, this thread is amazing, I enjoy coming on here not only to help out but also for the laughs as well. 

good choice in title, it was a weird combo so I was like what? so it made me want to check whats inside haha

Anonymous
Not applicable

I remembered sit ubu from X-Files. I guess that was after. I didn't watch Family Ties.

Crickets sure are loud in here from anybody that cares from the company.

I think it should be at least time to re-evaluate Oracles though.

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@darlicious wrote:

......to err is human and god is just dog spelled backwards.     Sit! UBU Sit! Good dog!      .......ha who remembers that!😃

Actually, I DO! I don't recall what it's from, though..... for some reason I want to say it's at the end of a sitcom..... Cheers, maybe? 🤔  Ok, Googled it - it was Family Ties. 😁

😠😈💩🤢😷😝😃😅😂🤣🤣🤣😉

OMG, emoji overload..... think I'm gonna....... 🤮 😉

Oh, and IIRC, I'm the one that used the term "abyss", back when there was more rampant chopping going on...... ISTR it was @ShawnC13  we were unhappy with at that point in time, at least up 'til it was pointed out that bravos in the Lounge didn't count, which then gave some of the thread chopping some legit meaning....

@ShawnC13 

A good title tells the story......

Q.) Why did the farmer decide to hang raincoats all over his orchard?

A.) Someone told him to get Apple Macs.

😃😅😅😆😆😆😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

@darlicious wrote:

@Anonymous 

Here's some irony now that this was split from the unofficial top contributors thread into a vaccine thread that naturally came to an end and turned into a discussion about the role of oracles in the community. One could argue that this is a legitimate discussion that should be in the community board. But it seems the windows are getting shuttered and the gates closed yet again when members question this institution.....the world is changing and more and more we see statues of former pillars of society pulled down and stalwart institutions that refuse to change toppled as they become out dated and no longer relevant in today's society. Even Opie grew up.....happy days no more! Eh!👍😎

@darlicious, actually this thread was split from the Vaccine Discussion Thread and titled Thread Splitting/Moving Discussion but you must have changed the title after I created it.  So we are still on topic.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Anonymous 

Here's some irony now that this was split from the unofficial top contributors thread into a vaccine thread that naturally came to an end and turned into a discussion about the role of oracles in the community. One could argue that this is a legitimate discussion that should be in the community board. But it seems the windows are getting shuttered and the gates closed yet again when members question this institution.....the world is changing and more and more we see statues of former pillars of society pulled down and stalwart institutions that refuse to change toppled as they become out dated and no longer relevant in today's society. Even Opie grew up.....happy days no more! Eh!👍😎

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@darlicious @Anonymous  my only point and maybe I could have been clearer was if people refer to the lounge with negatively then that will reverberate thoughout the community, with the same negativity. 

@Anonymous @ There was no censorship intended nor implied nor any hidden meaning re the future of the lounge in my my post. 

@mimmo 

You know "the abyss" came about humorously to deal with the anger and frustration from having threads moved to lounge. Some rightfully and some not so much......which I did have Tiana_V clarify which mostly put an end to that problem. However it has recently started to become an issue again.....but the mere fact that regulars can recognize that we have gone off topic and joke that it's only a matter of time that a thread is split and moved to the "abyss"is a sign that we know the error if our ways  but this constant slicing and dicing of threads for a couple of posts can make the communuty more disjointed. Some legitimate posts getting lost in the shuffle and then where only those in the thread can find it or alternatively think you are still on the main thread and post a solution for the  OP not knowing you are now lost in the lounge.

And new members are just confused as to what is going on or think they have caused the kerfuffle or get disillusioned when they try to participate but their efforts get deemed as unworthy of the main forum without value for a community reward and yes " dumped" in the lounge. How are those actions by oracles welcoming of new members?  Is this the model of mentorship we should expect from oracles? I know from experience that oracles have different ways to mentor new members...... enough said about that!

Now we have to worry that we are off topic in the lounge like last spring when going off topic in a humour thread caused giant upheaval in the community, customers to move their service to other providers, malicious reporting of posts, abuse of power, unwarranted bans, emotional distress, loss of respect, undermining of the Oracle program, policy review and implementation (although I am questioning this now?)of the terms of service of the community all because fellow members questioned an oracle's motives and use of their privileges.

If oracles are to be given divine right over the community then their decisions  should never be questionable, unethical or personally motivated.

Last time I looked the Oracle team is human and not perfect....far from from it. So all of its members should be open to reflection, reconsideration, compromise, acknowledgement of an error in judgement  like we do with our pm service and CSA's do with our mistakes. And make amends or reversal of decisions when necessary. Being able to own your mistakes and make amends is a sign of great character but an individual to refuse to even consider they could be wrong even when presented with the proof or the facts is a something else altogether......to err is human and god is just dog spelled backwards.     Sit! UBU Sit! Good dog!      .......ha who remembers that!😃

Humour is used here to differ many situations with the end result almost always a positive one that reflects back onto the community......for some reason it seems like all but the enlightened @Luddite  has checked their funny bone at the door of the team locker room. Are we to be labelled like Vancouver in the late 90's early 2000's as a "no fun city/community"? We can't even share a joke in the lounge without getting admonished? And people wonder where I get my sarcasm from?!!😠😈💩🤢😷😝😃😅😂🤣🤣🤣😉

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mimmo : Soooo....censorship is it now?

Edit: or is this portending the demise of the lounge that only the Oracles might know about.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

The one thing I would like to add, is It might be time to stop refering to the lounge as the dumping ground, the abyss  or similar negative references. 

@Luddite 

I thought we agreed that you would not post my picture publicly! I prefer to be heard not seen!

@Anonymous 

No public apology needed.....as unlike some I am fully in touch with my funny bone and can tell the difference between jest and malice. Now if I could no longer be in touch with my hip bone but a shiny new ceramic/titanium one......I would be laughing my way back to work.....that isn't here!😃

@Anonymous  Perhaps, malice, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. 

Luddite_0-1628541092481.jpeg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@J_PM , @Alan_K , @Melinda_H :

@Luddite : Thank you Luddite. I'm well aware that Oracles _can_ do whatever they like, wherever they like. The entire point of all of this exercise is, is it right and just to hack and slash in The Lounge?

I would obviously firmly defer to no. This needs clarification from the company...not second hand through the Oracles.

It goes against what we longer time regulars would have read in the Lounge announcement from Alan_K and the one-liner description in the category list as a presumption of the curtailment and limitation of Oracle power.

All the regular T&C's still stand of course and those should be upheld.

But not wantonly moving posts around in and out of threads just because Oracles can and what certainly appears to be all too often...malice.

@Anonymous  Your question: "I am asking for clarity on the extent of their power in the dumping ground of The Lounge to shuffle parts of threads around at will". 

Answer: there are no restraints on our judgment concerning if, when, and where to move posts. 

heavy handed.jpeg

Anonymous
Not applicable

I openly apologize for my reference to the Picard pic.

@Anonymous  @CFPartDeux 

Maybe that Capt.Picard pic was a premature suggestion....but yes that was partially my point that there are no hard and fast rules when it comes to the arbitrary decisions made by oracles. For the most part they are for the betterment of the community. But there are times when they can be overzealous, biased, narrow minded or overly influenced by personal opinion. 

The larger problem is when approaching and questioning an oracles decision some not all completely shut down any discussion on the decision be becoming authoritative and close minded. But that's in keeping with the Oracle team in general believing discussions hold no reward value that only help based posts should be rewarded. If the subject of a thread is not related to help with a pm only service then it holds no value to the community.

Let's just cross out that last part of the community's objective with a big black Sharpe because according to some oracles were here to get help, give help but DO NOT SHARE IDEAS at least not in the main forum and if you do it in the lounge stay on topic even if the thread is named OFF TOPIC.

This unwillingness to reconsider decisions because it may undermine their position as leaders of the community and be a sign of weakness is ridiculous especially with such recent egregious activities going unpunished and actually rewarded while high contributing knowledgeable members are getting their knuckles rapped amongst warnings of possible bans because they voice their opposition to the Simple--Simon's of the community furiously copy and pasting help articles, how-to-contact the CSA' s and when possible throwing in the kitchen sink for good measure.....because they just don't know that the sink can't actually solve the problem!

And please the "Take it up with @J_PM of @Melinda_H if we're unhappy" line just might come back to bite you in the proverbial hip.....as does the "Why don't you apply for an Oracle position?" comment. I am quite sure that it is well-known within the Oracle team that three very passionate  members of the community made the decision to try enact change from within but all made lucky escapes by way of management from upsetting that lofty apple cart!  Still I sense a bruised ego or two still riding high on that cart.....there's no weaseling out of that one!

PXL_20210809_005542858.jpg

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

TBH, I'm a little torn on which way to lean on the topic of thread cropping, ESPECIALLY down here in the Lounge, i.e. on one hand I totally see @ShawnC13 's point, about splitting the vaccine talk out into a topic of its' own, which MIGHT possibly garner more attention, and input from other members, BUT, OTOH, it's always kind of irked me that what simply amounts to natural conversation(or at least, as close as you can get on a forum), moving from one topic to another has to be chopped out..... I mean, who's to say said topic won't simply meander its' way back on-topic, and carry on where it left off. Clearly, based on previous topic cuts, the main objective is to keep off-topic bravos, in the main forums, from counting towards a member's reward(s), but as most of us know, off-topic bravos in the Lounge don't count anyway, so what's the big deal if a thread goes off-topic..... 🤔

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ShawnC13 wrote:

So now pulling out portions of a thread to bring them into their own discussion and get more attention "yes even in the lounge things get attention" and allowing the original topic to carry on its intended topic is now spiteful?

I am not sure would it be better to take all topics in the Lounge and put them in one thread just because it is The Lounge?

@J_PM , @Alan_K , @Melinda_H : My post is not directed at the above poster. The above post is utterly tone deaf on the impacts their actions have on the community as a whole. They fail to grasp how capricious, malicious intent creeps into their actions.

I am asking for clarity on the extent of their power in the dumping ground of The Lounge to shuffle parts of threads around at will and with callous disregard for the intent of the existence of The Lounge.

So now pulling out portions of a thread to bring them into their own discussion and get more attention "yes even in the lounge things get attention" and allowing the original topic to carry on its intended topic is now spiteful?

I am not sure would it be better to take all topics in the Lounge and put them in one thread just because it is The Lounge?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Anonymous
Not applicable

@J_PM , @Alan_K , @Melinda_H : Can you please rein in the over-reaching expression of power and spitefulness that your Oracles are conducting as illustrated by parts of threads being moved around inside The Lounge.

Your terms of service for the site indicate that posts unrelated to support can be posted in The Lounge. There is no mention anywhere on how posts and threads in The Lounge are to be policed. It is being clearly shown to be more out of spite and mean-spiritedness than any kind of good intentions. Is this the behaviour being sought from the Oracles? Is this the kind of place you want where even a dumping ground of The Lounge gets harsh, spiteful treatment?

It has been amply demonstrated that topics and posts get hacked out of threads in the main categories and dumped down to the lounge leaving them to languish. So let them languish.

Is it your position that the Oracles can have their way with The Lounge doing whatever they like with whatever thread and post shows up?

Nowhere is it written for all users to understand what the extent of reach and power the Oracles have let alone what they can deign to do with whatever goes on in the dumping ground known as The Lounge.

Can you post for all to see what the full extent of power the Oracles have and more specifically, what they can capriciously and maliciously get away with in The Lounge just because they get into a snit about any users or what their precious opinion deems preferable.

Can you post the full set of rules and regulations and guidelines that the Oracles are bound  by for all to see to have a better grasp on the range and scope of their duties and responsibilities.

Thank you

signed

very concerned regular contributor about the over-reach of Oracles

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Anonymous 

Now that is a good thread title!😃

Need Help? Let's chat.