cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pros & Cons to Public Mobile 2023/2024 (replacing old thread)

Viper10
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi everyone,

I've been searching the threads for the pros and cons of PM. Most of the stuff I found is from 2017ish, which is no longer current. For example, are there still provincial boundaries? 

I'm new to PM but haven't ported or cancelled my other account yet, and I want to ensure this is the right thing for me before I do. I'm quite tech-savvy and worked in the telecom industry for about 15 years, but I have been out of it for about 11 years, and so much has changed. So, what are the pros and cons? Are there any cons with PM that affect iPhone users or Android users specifically? What might I be losing out on by making the switch?

Thank you so much for your attention and participation.
VP

6 REPLIES 6

Jedi1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@gpixel

I don’t think I could manage manually paying all the time.  I’ll look into splitting them up so they are not all on the same card and see how that goes.  

@Jedi1 

if it's only one card linked to all those accounts, I would personally look into manually paying rather than using auto pay. there will be a high chance it fails to renew all those accounts correctly.

Jedi1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I’m new also but enjoying PM so far.  I had 5 lines to set up so it was a pretty intense Black Friday for me.  I have ported 3 of our lines so far and was able to get any of our issues solved.  Not having phone support can be difficult for some especially if they are not tech savvy.  There is no wifi calling or international roaming but we did not really use those services.  We ended up with choosing 3 5G plans and 2 4G plans and I have not yet heard any complaints.  It is more administration with having to manage multiple accounts as we were used to having one account with multiple lines.  

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Viper10 , the brand has been strengthened significantly this year with the introduction of 5G and big gig plans.  The drawback is the replacement of the old reward system with the new points reward system.  I would give it a 10/10 if the VoLTE and 5G whitelist was eliminated.  

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@Viper10 

In my opinion:

Cons:
-No real person to talk to
-No international roaming (except with US roaming plan)
-Bugs in the system
-PM agents are not always consistent with their answers 
-Website is not kept up to date with accurate information
-Need to expand VoLTE to more phones

Pros:
-Cheap plans
-Potential to reduce the cost of your plan with referrals, rewards, etc
-PM community is very helpful

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Viper10  I have iPhone 15 and have no issues the only feature I can see someone missing is wifi calling but I’ve never needed it other then that it’s the Telus network with discount prices 

Add @Viper10  and of course there’s no live support everything done online 

Need Help? Let's chat.