cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading account plans.

Tsawwassen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I know that I should know the answer but because things constantly change I just want to make sure.

—(1)— If I upgrade my $15 on rewards plan to the $40 4G plan would it automatically be switched to the points system?

—(2)— Would I have the option to switch down to the $15 plan  from the $40 plan ?

—(3)— If I switch back down to the $15 plan would I lose the 12 go binus data ? U

32 REPLIES 32

Tsawwassen

Something happened to my community account - have reported it and CS is working to fix the problem. 

UPDATE - All is fine again.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI@Tsawwassen   why you removed the content of your post?

Leave it there so people can see it

frostyfire11
New in Town / Nouveau en Ville

@Tsawwassen No idea.

dejavu89
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

To the best of my knowledge and chat earlier with a rep:

1) No, old will continue

2) Yes

3) Yes, in all probability. New plan resets bonus of specific plans.

@Tsawwassen 

1.    you will  stay on Old reward with any plan change.  No worry

2. you will have option to go back to $15 plan

3.  there Is NO 12 GB bonus for existing customers.   Only for new activation.   So, moving to $40 for 15 gb will be 15gb, not 27 gb (not 15Gb + 12 Gb)

Tsawwassen

I know .. I know that I should know the answer but because things constantly change I just want to make sure.

—(1)— If I upgrade my $15 on rewards plan to the $40 4G plan would it automatically be switched to the points system?

—(2)— Would I have the option to switch down to the $15 plan  from the $40 plan ?

—(3)— If I switch back down to the $15 plan would I lose the 12 go binus data ? 

hughdyment9
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

You think you were tricked? Are you joking? It was your mistake not there’s. You can’t blame it on them when YOU didn’t read the fine prints!

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Korth 

It's about helping others less fortunate than ourselves though isn't It? But so far so good they and myself are happy to have freed them(selves) from a robber's company! (I vowed I would seek revenge one customer at a time....dar-9 robbers-0!!) It never costs me money....I find the best deal possible and pass the savings along which means a sim card for cost....never free. I have also gotten them in the habit of buying a voucher on welfare day and loading it so there never is a time that they can't afford to renew their services. My time I happily give for free as we all do here when helping others....

@Korth, totally agree.  Yes my wife and two step daughters moved over and are all happy.  I guess the catch would be for those that can buy a phone outright is the tab levels they have and these plans didn't qualify for certain phones and tab level

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@darlicious wrote:
... Have no fixed address. Shopping cart guy and one of his buddies.

One of my friends works for a charity, an emergency/homeless shelter. She often helps "clients" get cheap, working phone service. I sometimes help her out with this, she sometimes passes along a PM referral or two in return. (She does this a lot for a lot of people - a surprising number of people - she sometimes gets more referrals than she can use.)

Unfortunately, this "demographic" rarely turns out good referrals you can count on month after month. One way or another they lose their phone or their phone service or their ability to pay for it, again and again and again. It's quite sad. In my experience they actually end up me costing money overall, considering the price of a SIM card, let alone the "cost" of procuring or unlocking/repairing/refurbing a cheap/used/donated/old phone and whatever time and effort was put into getting things all setup and working for them.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@ShawnC13 

It's nice to see some positive results from that whole mess. Some of those Koodo migration offers were quite compelling, at least those which PM and Koodo actually coordinated smoothly.

People rarely bother to come back here just to report they're happy elsewhere - they tend to come back only when they have problems, complaints, rants, anger, and frustrations, lol.

@Korth wrote:

@softech wrote:

It is a known fact that most PM customers are mostly on the $13,  $15, $25 and $35 plan.  Those are plans good for customers for not for Telus in terms for profit.   So, there is really no incentive for Telus at all to bring more customers into PM at all.  

You didn't join the community until 2019 ... so you obviously missed all the heated controversy when Public was handing out wave after wave of increasingly-tempting Koodo migration offers to "selected" customers.

Many Public customers took the bait and got hooked to Koodo. Some of them stayed, apparently happy. Some came back immediately, quite angry. Some came back later, quite angry. Y'see, the migration offers all had little catches and gotchas hidden in the "fine print", coordination and communication between Koodo and Public was all botched up, and then of course Self-Serve got overwhelmed and MNPs started to fail and endless other problems.

The customers always pay the price for these mistakes. Even though they're not mistakes made by the customers - they're mistakes made by the lofty Telus executives and marketing people.

We moved my wife over to Koodo on one of the offers and it has been absolutely amazing.  First we moved her over at 5gb for $35 then there was the free ongoing 5GB bonus so it was now 10GB for $35.  With the recent increase it is now at $40.  We haven't found any hidden catches or gotchas just a great plan for my wife.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

I_am_Heidi
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just moved from Rogers. IMO they are just expensive. I had been a customer for the last decade and a half and they couldn't match the price I'm getting here. We have 4 lines.  2 already moved to PM and 2 switching over as soon as they out of contract. I prefer to not get locked into another 2 years and opted to not upgrade my phone. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@BearFBI 

That's the problem your referrals have decent incomes. Nearly all of my referrals are the demographic that pm/telus is now actively discouraging or depending on how you look at it....discriminating against.

1. Is completely random generated by entering my referral code in some highschool seniors graduation math/science project. It worked....both myself and my neighbour gained a referral from it.
  2. Have no fixed address. Shopping cart guy and one of his buddies. I had snagged a couple of CCS stackable plans over the holidays....my neighbour wanted to help out a buddy of his and I promised shopping cart guy I would get him a deal. Long story short my neighbour bailed on "big plan" but benefited from the bonus referral $30 credit anyways a lucky member here got a rewards account and a free month credit+ the holiday gifts for cheap, cheap, cheap. Shopping cart guy finally his stuff together and took over his plan in payments and got a year of service and oodles of add ons for $84!
  3. Are my friends/neighbours all of whom are not tech savvy in the least and pay by voucher thru 611. They have never logged into their accounts and only have community accounts because I helped them create them so I can manage their services for them. Not that they have ever had an issue requiring customer support.
  4. Are my bf's family members that he first met a month before he met me....as he was adopted not long after he was born. His birth mom, half brother, sister-in-law and their teenage son.
  5. Are members here that appreciated my help and asked me for my referral code via private message.
  6. Are on the points program as they are mostly recently activated with an extra bonus referral credits and the latest enjoying the 3×get back points enjoying getting back at chatr/rogers for tricking him into activation and then holding his data plan hostage until he paid off an old debt from almost 6 years ago. And my most tech savvy friend who like the OP didn't realize until it was too late that once clicking the button joining Public Points was actually optional but irreversible once done.
  7. Have been a roommate in my house at some point of time in the last 20 years or represent me like my data account or late partner's phone # account, the bf etc...and include the one account (other than the 2 visiting americans from 3 years ago) I accidently lost by miscounting 90 days and relying on the wrong date in the rewards section as reference....oh well....he's been all fixed up with a new account and a phone # retrieval.

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Well honestly rewards are a bonus and PM is great but I’m actually so close to just leaving and getting a new phone with probably bell or rogers and some plan. I have a family member with a rogers account that I manage, and I still haven’t switched them over to PM. I’ve been saying I would for a few years now, but rogers is offering amazing existing customer deals right now and the expensive plans are worth it with a phone. 

Rogers Upfront edge where you bring back the phone, excellent program. A month ago they were offering phones for 0$ per month no down payment as long as you had a plan with financing (cheapest plan 50$month for like 20GB.) that’s an excellent deal considering the phone is 1300$ and the buyout rate was quite low in the 300’s I think.

I’m loosing referrals anyway. I had a buddy leave for a 45$ 30GB plan with Virgin a month ago, I just had a family member leave cause work is paying for their phone and bill, I had someone else leave because they can’t stand the slow data speed. In a couple months my rewards might total to absolutely nothing. 

Community_QA

Why switch to new rewards, money money money

But PM already not bad, they still let us stay. Many will just force everyone to migrate

@softech 

You'd have to ask someone who actually went to Koodo then returned to Public to tell the tale.

My impression is that what was promised (or at least what was implied and expected) was not what was actually given. People switched from Public to Koodo and were just normal new customers with the same bunch of normal new customer plans - then they switched back from Koodo to Public and were just normal new customers with normal new customer plans - they lost all their rewards, referrals and loyalty, add-ons, balance etc - they even had to pay for a couple SIM cards, lol - all because they took the bait.

Take the $40/4GB they're offering now? A few days ago it was $40/3GB. Some people are already saying they got $40/5GB offers. Maybe wait until it's $40/6GB?

The whole migration thing was botched. Poorly planned, poorly executed. In hindsight, it actually looks like a scam - like somebody at Telus was willing to burn one brand to push up the numbers for another brand.

If they did it before then they might do it again. Broken trust, lol.

Be savvy, always think before clicking, always read the "fine print". The harder they try to sell it - the more they try to pretty it up or bribe you - the less you want to buy it, lol.

@Korth   What was the problem with Koodo for those who went over?

I was with Koodo before I jumped to PM.  Nothing wrong with Koodo service for me, I came for the price  and the $2 off.   

@softech wrote:

It is a known fact that most PM customers are mostly on the $13,  $15, $25 and $35 plan.  Those are plans good for customers for not for Telus in terms for profit.   So, there is really no incentive for Telus at all to bring more customers into PM at all.  

You didn't join the community until 2019 ... so you obviously missed all the heated controversy when Public was handing out wave after wave of increasingly-tempting Koodo migration offers to "selected" customers.

Many Public customers took the bait and got hooked to Koodo. Some of them stayed, apparently happy. Some came back immediately, quite angry. Some came back later, quite angry. Y'see, the migration offers all had little catches and gotchas hidden in the "fine print", coordination and communication between Koodo and Public was all botched up, and then of course Self-Serve got overwhelmed and MNPs started to fail and endless other problems.

The customers always pay the price for these mistakes. Even though they're not mistakes made by the customers - they're mistakes made by the lofty Telus executives and marketing people.

@Korth wrote:

Bell has real stores with real people. Not a stupid chatbot guarding access to outsourced, half-impersonal CSAs.

HI @Korth   Yes, I understand that part.  I was asking what goodies can Bell Prepaid gives.  Not the service as OP was saying they have extra incentives if you tell them you switch from another provider.  I was wondering what incentive Bell prepaid can provide if you are on $15 plan

Yes, Lucky has kiosks, Lucky sim can be buy in stores, these are things that PM lacks

@hTideGnow wrote:

So, what other incentive will Bell gives?  I am not sure they will offer unadvertised goodies to prepaid plans

Bell has real stores with real people. Not a stupid chatbot guarding access to outsourced, half-impersonal CSAs.

It seems that most people are impulsive and impatient about spending money, lol.

Bell sells new phones. On contracts/etc for the masses who can't afford to buy and own their phone up front.

Bell has its own subsidies. Virgin. Lucky. And Lucky's offerings are of course very comparable to Public's - when you do the math you'll find Public Points save you a few dollars per year, when you do the other math you'll find that accessing Lucky's conveniences and advantages might be well worth paying a few dollars per year.

The $2 autopay discount is surely a big selling point.  Many come because of that.  Without it, the price will be as good (or as bad) as Lucky and Chatr

Yes, people talk about Loyalty reward.  It's 10 points a year, $10, it's not an attractive point for new comer (who cares about one year later)

Friends referrals, most don't care about that when they join until they have a friend who wants to join.  Who want to be full time sales for PM just to bring down the bill..

The online only model is good for customer support.  It will eliminate most non tech savvy clients and we have less unhappy clients who joined because they were sold by in store agents or friends who eager for the commission or the $1 off per month.  It's good for PM  but it also limits the customer base further.  Good or Bad?  I don't know.  

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@Tsawwassen wrote:

My family has several PM plans all switched to PM from Bell mobility. Since PM and BELL use the same towers the reason for switching to PM was only because of PM  hassle free reward system that  automatically reduced the monthly charges. Since all of our five accounts were somewhat tricked into switching to the new irreversible rewards point system (I know that I should have read the fine print) we now have to pay full plan pricing and try to keep track of points etc. This has now made PM less attractive and already two of our accounts have been switched back to BELL prepaid plans and once I use up my points I also plan to switch back to plan. Bell also offers a $15 prepaid plan with some voice and unlimited texting and if you talk or chat with them telling them you plan to switch from another provider to them they could offer other incentives. Sooooo why does PM not want our business any more?

The new points system is generally inferior to the old rewards system.

The difference is enough that gaining new customers or referrals doesn't happen much anymore.

People used to come to Public because it looks good, indeed, because it almost looked too good to be true.

Now, they only come to Public because it doesn't look (quite) as terrible as whatever they've just left. Public is pretty much the last option they'll choose, they'll only find it online after already walking through all the other stores.

I wouldn't say that "PM does not want our business anymore". They always want more subscribers, they always want those subscribers to buy the most expensive plans available.

It's just become shamelessly evident that Public Mobile is not the same company anymore that it was years ago when we signed up. It's just a marketing instrument for Telus to sell people onto Koodo. It's becoming rather obvious that Telus is in charge of everything, that they're willing to push the Public brand down if walking all over it lets their other brand(s) get a step up.

Yes I'm still here because every prepaid carrier has their pros and cons. It's just that PMs pros out way the cons for now.

And I haven't been tricked yet like the OP.

lol   

@hTideGnow , only  z10user4  has all the tricks here with their 5 fate accounts giving only them bravos.

@walker1 wrote:

Yes they do. All my prepaid plans there are $0 thanks to there goodies! You just have to be savvy.

Hi @walker1   and you are still here?

So, what is the trick?

Yes they do. All my prepaid plans there are $0 thanks to there goodies! You just have to be savvy.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Tsawwassen  Good thing won't last

there is no right or wrong.  Any rewards system, once it runs long enough it will reform and move it more "business friendly" than "customer friendly"    But even with points, you still save some money , not as much than before, but with the rewards saving, you still will be paying less than $15 on a $15 plan.

So, what other incentive will Bell gives?  I am not sure they will offer unadvertised goodies to prepaid plans

Tsawwassen

Thank you .. thank you...sorry...sorry. ....ha ha ------ we still have choices.

MrSpock
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Tsawwassen I understand what you are saying , I thought I was a typical Canadian I don't trust anybody especially big corporations 😀

Tsawwassen

We still have choices.

Need Help? Let's chat.