cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips from the Salespeople

tgreek7
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm reaching out the to sales savvy folks out there.

What's your angle in pitching Public Mobile to your friends and family? I have a shiny new referral code that I'd love to get some miles on.

In my job I've learned people don't typically like taking medications (unless they take away pain and/or make you sleepy) - an aside to this question, and that people don't like change - more relevant to the post.

Any tips, tricks, or angles I could use would be appreciated in combatting the second point I've learned about people.

Cheers,

7 REPLIES 7

tgreek7

Auto-pay is an issue?... Guess I haven't done enough reading. I'll keep mine on auto for now and see if I end up a statistic. Thanks for the insight though @gpixel! I usually compare Public to my former Koodo experience; similar great product, just less instant customer service with a more digestible monthly bill.

@tgreek7 

the key is to understand how the service works. if you're not able to lend a helping hand on the common issues at PM they will not enjoy it here and will most likely leave. people are expecting reliability so this needs to be true in order for the referral to stay. let them know the potential issues that could arise and how to solve the problem.

the main thing i tell my referrals is to not rely on auto-pay and to manually pay ahead of time. managing an account in this manner will prevent any type of service disruption or service provision problems ie. text, calls, data etc. 

tgreek7

Thanks for the advice, all! Definitely some great pearls of PM wisdom. Hopefully I can use the advice to find some new PM family out of my own friends and family.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@tgreek7 

Know your target audience and decide how hands on you want to be....? If you know a possible referral is tech savvy, a hands on d-i-y type who likes to save money, takes care of their phone to get long life out of it and is a little more laid back and takes things in stride then they are a good candidate for pm who will stick around for the long run and after a bit of a run down of how it works around here will be fine on their own. The low maintenance referral that you might text once or twice a year when the holiday gifts arrive or pm offers some great new plans.

I have a few of these kind of referrals that may have contacted me once in 3 years with a minor issue that I tell them how to fix or if it's an account issue I tell them what to ask for to get it fixed and they contact customer support on their own. I keep them up to date on any big changes at pm like the new self serve accounts, the new "4G" plans with large data buckets, the introduction of the points program (although my most tech savvy referral was duped into switching to points before I got to him...go figure?!!) and so on.....

Most of my referrals fall into either partial management or full on account management because they are either tech savvy enough to manage their account and services but I handle their customer support or completely non tech savvy and have never logged into their self serve accounts and pay for their services by pm voucher via 611. I have to manage their accounts, handle any customer support and micro manage to a point that some of them I have to actually take their phone and reply to texts like the holiday gift offer for them or dismiss an Amber alert for them. A few of them have gone weeks without service without even noticing because they use their phones so little.

Luckily in the whole scheme of things they have very few actual issues with their services but can be a lot of work at certain times of the year like the holidays if they didn't get their holiday gifts automatically added to their accounts. But they can be the easiest referrals to get because they only need basic services, a working phone and more than anything are happy to be paying $25 or less on their phone bill. They are the easiest to keep if you don't mind putting a little extra work into helping them maintain their mobile service when needed a few times a year.

So knowing who your target audience is.....so that they remain a public mobile customer and continue to allow you to earn your $$ rewards or point rewards is the key. Of the 35 or so referrals I've made spread over my two accounts and the bf's I've only lost 3. My first 2 who were expected as they were an American couple here as tourists and a 3rd at my own hand for mixing up the timing of the 90 days of suspension but despite losing that referral/account I redeemed myself by getting them a wicked stacked promo deal 8 weeks later.

If you make sure you keep on hand a stock (or stack) of Sim cards (at 2 for $10 from pm) and you become the defacto "retail activation" and help referrals activate, ensure they get the best promotions, enter the promocode and referral code (yours) correctly, use your credit card to activate if needed and replace it with a $0 gift credit card in their self serve as you show them their account and help port in their phone number if needed after activation (to insure their Sim card has all its working services first) will help get your referrals started at pm on the right foot and good basic understanding of how their accounts and service work. They will be more likely to stay with pm and the closer you will get to that $0 bill or multiple $15 bill credits to get to a $0 bill!! 😁🤪🤑

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@tgreek7 

Some of my friends are very loyal to a certain carrier, while others will avoid a certain carrier at all cost because of a bad experience.

I wouldn’t bother and you will be waste your time and efforts.

Since PM is done all online, others friends are not a computer savvy and will regret joining PM when they have an issue and they will constantly let you know about it.

Some friends will only stick to top or 2nd tier carriers because they think service is better because they pay more…all they are paying for is talking to a live customer service hourly rates.

So before you try to convince them to switch carriers ask them how much they are pay for cell service plus check if they fall into the categories I pointed out.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@tgreek7 I explain about the friend  referrals and the fact it’s possible to get you phone bill to zero , also the best part is you don’t even have to go into the store can do it all at home and YES you can keep your same number . Finally I tell them that public mobile under the umbrella of Telus /koodo which most are surprised to learn , biggest thing is that the person your then pitching to has already discovered that not being locked into a contract is the best strategy to have good phone plans 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @tgreek7 

focus on those who need basic plan.  The $15 plan is a good deal, and they will get some around $19 saving every year

and the $40 - 15GB is a good deal for those who need some data but not crasy plan like 50GB a month.

Need Help? Let's chat.