cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magicjack & Talkatone

Jamal343
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Good day Community

I Installed MagicJack & Talkatone third party Apps to use when I am at Home using my cable Internet WiFi.

I see that it is charging my data and my minutes ... am I missing something or configuration!!

Thanks in advance for all of your help out

Cheers

8 REPLIES 8

Jamal343

There is no issue with the Apps, the mobile data were deducted while the Internet is down! 😥

Apology for misunderstanding, and great appreciation for all help and feedback.

Cheers 

Community_QA_
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Jamal343  usually app will use Wifi if Wifi is there

but some VoIP has a specific settings to use only mobile data or use only Wifi check that

Prgh1
New Neighbour / Nouveau Voisin

You’re welcome. 
Can’t think of any other solution. To test the system u cud try turning OFF cellular data on  on the phone then connect to wifi only then try using Magicjack or Talkatone and compare the results against your Public Mobile minutes. 

Jamal343

Thanks @Prgh1  ... No luck though 😞

Access to Mobile Data is always off for ALL Apps, and I did verify, call forward is off!

Normally I get RCS texting (Free). If I am sending a message to Talkatone the "text message automatically Sends as SMS (charges from mobile data). Even when I send a text from Talkatone to my mobile I get a data charge (charges from mobile data). around 1.5MB each case!!!

Any other suggestions ... Thanks

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

By the sounds of things it's using your data too. 

To use VOIP apps you need to turn off your cellular network and only use WiFi but that will mean you may miss calls.

My advice, purchase yourself a cheap phone or if you already have one, put the VOIP programs on that and not on your PM phone. I have Fongo and TextNow on my other unconnected phone and works like a charm.

Prgh1
New Neighbour / Nouveau Voisin

Hi,  I use both apps on my iPhone and they use wifi to make calls when you’re connected to wifi and neither uses my cellular minutes. I can’t figure why your cellular minutes are being used up but you can go to your Phone Settings, Cellular Data then scroll to the relevant app and block it’s accces to data.
In addition open Settings in both apps and ensure Call Forwarding isn’t set to your current cell number ( this is quite likely the culprit). 

Hope that helps. 

Jamal343

Thanks for your reply @Handy1 

Magicjack is my VoIP phone, suppose to use any WiFi to make a call ... I don't think it should relate to PM at all!

I thought it is something with configurations on the phone! Let's see if anyone had this situation/solution ...

Cheers

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Jamal343  I’m not familiar with magic jack but if it’s a form of wifi calling . Note PM  does not support wifi calling . This could be why it’s still using your mins 

Need Help? Let's chat.