cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usa texting

Bmvanbese
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

All I want to use while in the usa is to be able to send and receive text messages.

i will use wifi Talkatone to wifi call. 

what is the best/cheapest package would you recommend? 

10 REPLIES 10

Yes @Bmvanbese .   

It's that easy!!!

Bear in mind that most pre-paid SIM plans in the US are for a minimum 30 day period (try T-Mobile or Mint Mobile while there), so it's recommended to use them when your stay exceeds 15 days, as Public Mobile US Add-Ons are good for 15 days at a time.

@Bmvanbese 

Yes that will work but remember not to go over 90 days or you will lose everything…your account & number and SIM will be useless

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Bmvanbese 

even without a PM text add-on you'll still receive texts while in US...you just won't be able to send text without an add-on.

@Bmvanbese wrote:

Ok so let my pm monthly plan go without renewal . And use a prepaid sim from the usa and when get back to Canada stick my pm SIM card back in and renew plan ? 

@Bmvanbese   yes, you can do that.   You need to remove Pre-Authorized payment form My Account, then account would not renew. 

But how long you will be in US?

please remember to keep note on the renewal date. it will become the first day the account is suspended (since you remove Autopay and let it not being renewed) , you need to make sure you come back and resume the service before 90 days after that or you will lost your phone number and account will be closed

Bmvanbese
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Ok so let my pm monthly plan go without renewal . And use a prepaid sim from the usa and when get back to Canada stick my pm SIM card back in and renew plan ? 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Bmvanbese 

You can use WhatsApp or TextNow on wifi for calling and texting.

I don’t think there is just a texting add-on US roaming plan on the new 15 days roaming plan.

I got a TextNow SIM for free calling and texting in the US on a US phone number.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Bmvanbese  Just note roaming begins as soon as it purchased , so try to time it just before you head there 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Bmvanbese   

these are the US roaming options, please note they are now all 15 days ,  The 15 days, 360 hours,  countdown starts from the moment the purchase is done

US Roamingg
Bundle - US Roaming - Talk, Text and 3GB Data (15 days)- $30 (25 Reward points)
Bundle - US Roaming - Talk and Text (15 days) - $15 (10 Reward points)
Data - US Roaming - 250 MB Data (15 days) - $10.00 (5 Reward points)
Data - US Roaming - 1GB Data (15 days) - $20.00 (15 Reward points)
Data - US Roaming - 3GB Data (15 days) - $25.00 (20 Reward points)

Generally it is cheaper to redeem it via points if you are on Public Points reward.  But redeeming roaming could take 2 days before it appears on your My Account and can start using

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Bmvanbese 

PM has a 15 day 10 Day (240 hours) talk / tetxt add-on for $15. Talk is unreliable but text should be ok.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Bmvanbese

Get a local prepaid SIM card there. 

Much better service than US ADD ON from here. 

If you'll have reliable Wi-Fi, and are on iPhone, use iMessage. 

If on Android, try chat messaging 

Above services only require a wifi or data service to send and receive messages. 

Need Help? Let's chat.