cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lets create user's user guide for Fongo app

Meow
Mayor / Maire

As Fongo app gets frequently mentioned in Community, how about we create a 'real' user guide based on real life experience?

Description of benefits and limitations based on Your experience could be bundled up into nice document and posted in Community as 'sticky' and updated as new questions answered and/or features/tricks/tips discovered/explained.

49 REPLIES 49

Yes, Fongo Home phone would be different as they have an VoIP adaptor provided which they preset everything.

I personally also using Freephoneline, which is the parent company of Fongo.  Freephoneline is free, except for the setup fee.  However, I need to setup the device myself.   I got it setup and in fact it works great too.

Fongo on cell (App) is different, call quality is quite different.. 

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@softech said "but as I said.. Fongo call quality is poor.. they do have quiet many settings that try to help to improve the quality.. and I would say TOO MANY.. i played around, changed something.. then everyone told me they can't really hear me (but I hear them fine).. i have to "play" around different settings and get to a more reasonable call quality. .But don't ask me what I changed"

Im not sure about the app but my parents have Fongo Home phone quality has been perfect from my testing.

Fongo home Phone is no different from a regular POTS line. 

@ShawnC13 

Because the solution would make all sides happy....the link to fongo's own faq, community etc.... and a thread that gives the answer but doesn't take up precious pm community real estate while keeping bravos that could count towards a community reward to a minimum.....oh and a little /s thrown in for good measure.😃

@darlicious wrote:

@srlawren 

Too bad the OP can't award a solution.😎

How would there be a solution to give if it was to create a how to guide?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@srlawren 

Too bad the OP can't award a solution.😎

.. and they have a Community, too...

Fongo Community Forums • Index page

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Luddite wrote:

@Meow  https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/categories/201668326-Fongo-Mobile

And we have a winner!And we have a winner!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

.. from Fongo to apple pie to open heart surgery..  A tech topic to food to medical.. LoL

@darlicious wrote:

Here's recently uploaded pic....circa 2013.

DSCF7545.JPG

It looks like open heart surgery to me... stop scaring little children with such pictures 😱

@Luddite 

Thanks just what I needed too! Link copied for future reference....maybe I will start using fongo for more than free outgoing.....because I will know everything it offers.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Meow  https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/categories/201668326-Fongo-Mobile

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@barrascuk 

Here's @Anonymous peace of community pie.....

DSCF7549.JPG

@Anonymous I was kidding I don't waste time looking for things to move lol

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

barrascuk
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

ohhhhh does z10 get ice cream and sprinkles!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@barrascuk : Cheese!!?? Who puts cheese on a dang apple pie. Gack! 🙂

@ShawnC13 : I wouldn't bother. They're all just mentions. Many of which come from our grand wizard Luddite. I suspect the difference here became instructions. But then so too have there been instructions elsewhere for when traveling. Ah! Whatever.

barrascuk

@darlicious wrote:

@Anonymous 

Its that time of year....you need a hard hat to sit in my backyard right now. Concussion by way of dropping apple has a high probability rate. Here's recently uploaded pic....circa 2013.

DSCF7545.JPG

mmmmmmmm apple pie and cheddar cheese!!!

@darlicious it is one that was very obvious.  Thanks for the tip I will search for the other threads when I have time.  Just another thing for my list

@Anonymous 

Its that time of year....you need a hard hat to sit in my backyard right now. Concussion by way of dropping apple has a high probability rate. Here's recently uploaded pic....circa 2013.

DSCF7545.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : mmmmmmm...apple pie.

@Anonymous 

That would be one messy apple cart if we were on it!😅😂🤣🍎

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : It would seem there's a difference between mentioning an app and going all the way to saying how to use it. It would seem.

@ShawnC13 

Well you know me I'm just questioning the reasoning.....so its ok to talk about fongo and how useful it is to our pm service in a zillion other threads but not have it all in one thread in the main forum where users are more likely to come across it?

@darlicious wrote:

@ShawnC13 

Ok I have to question the reasoning behind the move to the lounge. As stated earlier technically its a competitor but not really......this is almost an essential app to use in conjunction with your pm service as it compliments pm service when it falls short....like with roaming anywhere else in world other than the US. By dooming this thread to the lounge you are doing a disservice to anyone trying to learn about fongo and how it can compliment your pm service.

I don't need to remind you that the lounge is supposed to be for non-phone related subjects I ask that you reconsider your decision.

@darlicious I am good with the move and in discussion with other Oracles haven't had any disagree verbally to me if they felt different.

@Meow 

Well I think @Anonymous knows where I'm going with this....a long standing contenious issue between me and the oracles that I finally got settled only to lose the entire board and turn it into a community graveyard. So my list....started earlier this summer is getting longer and evolving into some pm community feedback that involve a fair amount of homework for me but will hopefully result in a place for all of this grey area having somewhere to go.....

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Meow wrote:

These 2 apps just enhance your mobile phone experience and do not replace it otherwise we would not be here.

@Meow : Therein lies the rub. That was the realization I came to when I first tried one out. Other than needing wifi, it can totally supplant the need for cellular talk/text. Not being quite as handy a mobile experience of course. Maybe get a data-only package and you're set.

@darlicious wrote:

Ok I have to question the reasoning behind the move to the lounge. As stated earlier technically its a competitor but not really......this is almost an essential app to use in conjunction with your pm service as it compliments pm service when it falls

How can 'phone app' be competitor to actual mobile service provider?

It will be the same as saying your home internet is competitor to overpriced, highway robbery data plan you get from any mobile provider.

I see textnow and fongo as addition to better experience with mobile phones.

Do you REALLY want to give your PM number to anybody including their dog and cat?

As smart people do, they provide app's phone number and then either forward calls to PM number or use WiFi (public or private).

Phone apps have their limitations not only when and how to use them but none of those 2 can receive authentication codes sent by, for example Government of Canada (My Service Account).

Besides that, somebody could go through all posted messages and count how many textnow and/or fongo was mentioned by many members. These 2 apps just enhance your mobile phone experience and do not replace it otherwise we would not be here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : I had not thought at all into the future. It was mostly to get the topic out of a different topic as a suggestion to a fellow regular. I'll own it. Useless it is. I thought it was a good question, generally. softech pointed out the placement. Oh well.

I don't think it's true that this place is not seen. We do see some newbs posting in here.

I am not arguing how topics get moved here. I might say my piece and then drop it.

Comparing camera quality in phones...Phones & Hardware - having _issues_ with your phone...is comparing cameras an "issue"?

Apps on a phone - Public Mobile doesn't do apps. Could whatever app be an "issue"? Probably. So maybe that should be acceptable. Or maybe limited to dailer, texter, browser. Voip apps are in their own league though so that becomes a little grey. Heck, asking about phones themselves may not really be an "issue". Where does the frequent compatibility question go then? "Getting Started"? Not for an existing customer. Phones & Hardware? It's not an "issue" per se with a phone. It's not part of the Community. It's not Self-serve.

In my post above, I did say that that category would be the contentious one.

@Anonymous 

You made the suggestion....where were you thinking of it going? If you thought all along it should be in the lounge you should have said so.....but I don't think you did because that makes the suggestion useless. This is not where people would look for help.....

But since you can't compare phone cameras in public I guess apps in general are a taboo subject out in public too!🤔

Another thing for my list......

barrascuk

@Anonymous wrote:

@barrascuk wrote:

@Anonymous I guess you have the makings to be an Oracle. 😂😂

When it became an application for a job and needing to make promises, I lost interest...fast.

Wow.....is all I can say. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@barrascuk wrote:

@Anonymous I guess you have the makings to be an Oracle. 😂😂

When it became an application for a job and needing to make promises, I lost interest...fast.

Need Help? Let's chat.