cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is koho still partners with public?

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Just remembered about it, but I'm not seeing public listed as a higher cash back partner on their site. Debated getting it, but not sure if it's worth it anymore

Debating if it's worth it anyway also as my standard card already gets 1%

Just curious on current thoughts 🙂

15 REPLIES 15

Pawprints1986

@dust2dust no worries, I don't think I'm going to bother anyway to be honest. I was considering it mostly because of the extra perk it used to have with public. 

I wonder if anyone else is going to be jumping on board instead ? 🤔

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Then I did a little reading in their information and realized that I had used real information when I signed up and I guess their system was satisfied with that rather than needing more ID. Same for the other recent sign-up.

So the end result is that Koho wants the real you. Not the fake name and birthdate I wrote earlier.

Sorry for the misinformation.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Well this took a nasty turn. I heard from someone that signed up recently that after the last step I mentioned above that they had to go through all kinds of identity crap. That was not my experience nor a recentish other sign up.

That sucks.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Pawprints1986 

The koho card is free it gives you 0.5% cash back. You can leave funds in your high interest savings account and move funds onto the koho card account as needed. The only fee you may pay is if you want to withdraw cash from a bank machine.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include in your private messaging only your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

Hunter03
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If it was 2% it would be worth it, but unfortunately as people have said it's not. if you don't trust sites a great alternative is to use paypal and link your cards to that. It's free for individuals. Then you can easily dispute charges if you have to. I have had to dispute 1 charge because I never received what I ordered and I got my money back right away. 

Pawprints1986

I've thought about grabbing just a regular visa gift card for various things too, like say purchasing from a new site for the first time which isn't as mainstream and I'd like to build trust. Which yes, likely sounds paranoid lol. But those visa gift cards you can buy at the store want something like $7 in fees to activate a $25 card if I'm recalling properly, and if you leave a balance it'll slowly trickle to 0. Koho in this regard would be free as far as I understand. At least, I think ? And your money would be there until you use it, I think! 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

So I just tried a test Koho sign-up before hitting the final go. If you wish to receive the physical card then you would need a real address. If you wish to receive emails from them then obviously that needs to be real. If you wish to login to the account in a browser then you need a real cell number for 2FA. But it would seem one could use a fake name and fake birthdate. I usually just put in something older than 18 in these forms.

If you wish to load it from e-transfer then obviously that source needs to be real. Same with deposits like payroll. I'm not sure how to anonymously put money into it. Real money has to come from somewhere real. Some other time I'll look into that. I'm thinking visa gift card into something. Then e-transfer from that something. Paypal?

Pawprints1986

Ohh ok I see what you're saying now. I didn't realize you meant Google had the fake name. In that case, I do that too 😂

I use a fake name for Google. I used everything real for Koho although I don't recall if they use any identifying methods which made me be real. I used a fake name putting the Koho in Google Pay. I use a fake name for all the apps on the phone. Some online places have real information. Again I don't recall if they used identifying methods to make me be real. Mostly fake birthdates too.

But emails and addresses and phone numbers are real. Some online places might have real information.

I'm under no illusion that Google doesn't know who I am let alone CSIS and NSA.

I use Koho (or these kinds of prepaid cards) simply as a convenient, contactless, cashless payment method. And primarily to keep the real credit card(s) offline. None of the online places have a real credit card either. If I'm making a larger purchase then I'll switch out briefly and back removing the real one. I know it's still not 100% but oh well.

But we all have our phones with us. It's either pull out the wallet or pull out the phone.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Pawprints1986 

I think @dust2dust means when he registers it for Google pay. But the registration for a koho card is not as onerous as a regular bank account. It literally takes 5 minutes and 5 business days to receive your card in the mail. When you sign up you choose your purpose to be saving money. If I remember correctly it asks for your full name, address and date of birth. It's the easiest card to get if you are new to Canada or here on a student or work visa. You deposit funds thru an e-transfer or an e-deposit from your employer.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include in your private messaging only your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

Pawprints1986

@dust2dust So, are you saying it's not tied to your full identity? Is fake name "allowed" or did you just kinda get away with it? It's not a full on checking type account ?

This peaks my curiosity in different ways lol

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Pawprints1986 

Unfortunately you no longer get the extra 2% cash back but it's still a good card to have as a back up or for online accounts like PayPal or Amazon. They have a high interest savings account and you can easily keep the hold on the card on and access the app to turn it on or off when using the card. Using a referral code at sign up gives both you and your referrer a $20 bonus after your first purchase using your card. I have no skin in the game but I have a list of members with the koho card. Send me a private message if you want it.

https://www.koho.ca/

Yeah I have stack and used that for my PM bill no cashback or bonuses though

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

No it's not. But I use it all the time for Google Pay. Using a fake name. Nobody will bother to steal and compromise a prepaid card. So if the phone disappears then whatever balance is on the card is the only possible loss. Not the likely much higher limit of a proper credit card.

I think Stack is another prepaid type card.

Ask around for a referral.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Pawprints1986 

According to this reddit post Koho only gets 0.5% instead of the 2.5% :

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicMobile/comments/ojvf0s/koho_no_longer_has_extra_cashback_for_pm/

Need Help? Let's chat.