cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Pixel 6

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

So who has ordered one or is going to?  I am on the verge of placing my order, just hesitant for some reason lol.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

91 REPLIES 91

Amazon price.. buy quick before it is gone  🙂

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@yardbirder wrote:

Checked link this morning, now at $798 and unavailable but maybe there is still hope for good sales at some point.

Happy Holidays to everyone and may the phone of your dreams become available at a much lower price!

@yardbirder @softech yeah looks to be back to regular price.  However if anyone finds it somewhere for 699, that would be a heck of a steal for an amazing device.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

yardbirder
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@softech

wrote-

Anyone still interested at $699?

Ship and sold by Amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09HJZPFDD

Checked link this morning, now at $798 and unavailable but maybe there is still hope for good sales at some point.

Happy Holidays to everyone and may the phone of your dreams become available at a much lower price!

Anyone still interested at $699?

Ship and sold by Amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09HJZPFDD

@srlawren 

here's a nice comparison pixel 4 vs 6 pro. it's essentially a 12.2mp vs a 12.5mp that's most likely why there isn't much difference. Google needs to unlock the camera so customers can access 50mp pics with more detail

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/qcfyzx/comment/hhg50cp/

pixel 6/pro is Google's version of the s20 series. same telephoto lens is used and the same ultrawide with a different lens

srlawren

@gpixel correct, the point of the competition was not for pixel-peepers but rather the majority of users that just want to share something on Instagram. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren 

yes, but that was judged by how pleasing the photo looked. if one starts zooming in on the photo, one will see more detail.

.. interesting.. all the supposed to be good camera phones lost in the first or second round.. 

srlawren

@gpixel wrote:

I'm skipping out on the pixel 6

@gpixel Pixel 6 Pro got beaten out by the 5a in the first round of MKBHD's latest blind contest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp4nWm59esI

yardbirder
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@darliciouswrote

"Contact customer support to make a note of your request. They will 100% make you a happy! 🤣 🤣 🤣"

I tried that, I'm still on hold listening to that crappy elevator music...

@dabr 

Contact customer support to make a note of your request. They will 100% make you a happy!🤣🤣🤣

srlawren

@dabr wrote:

But, please no more "atmospheric river"!  

@dabr make sure to file that request with Mother Nature, too, please.

@srlawren wrote:

Now that it's been just shy of 2 months since the Pixel 6 (and 6 Pro) was finally formally announced, I'm actually really surprised there hasn't been any threads about it in the PM community.  Other than this one, I think I've only seen ONE in the Phones & Hardware area asking if it was compatible.  Usually when a popular/hyped device comes out, we get quite a few people asking if it will work with PM.  Granted, it's slightly pricey for the typically more budget-conscious PM customer, starting at 799 CAD, but we definitely see people using even more expensive devices (Samsung S-series, iPhones, etc).  For a flagship, it's a relatively bargain and I would think it might appeal to a lot of budget-conscious power users.  

Anyway, just a random observation.  I was prepared for an atmospheric river [flood, for the uninitiated] of "will it work" posts in the Phones & Hardware area asking about it.

@srlawren    Yeah, I'd definitely think the lack of interest is more than likely due to the price of the Pixel 6 being closer to the $1000 mark (once tax is factored in) for the majority of PM customers too.    Or, perhaps that will change once some of them unwrap their Xmas gifts, especially if they've been extra good this year..   😁   

But, please no more "atmospheric river"!  😀

srlawren

Now that it's been just shy of 2 months since the Pixel 6 (and 6 Pro) was finally formally announced, I'm actually really surprised there hasn't been any threads about it in the PM community.  Other than this one, I think I've only seen ONE in the Phones & Hardware area asking if it was compatible.  Usually when a popular/hyped device comes out, we get quite a few people asking if it will work with PM.  Granted, it's slightly pricey for the typically more budget-conscious PM customer, starting at 799 CAD, but we definitely see people using even more expensive devices (Samsung S-series, iPhones, etc).  For a flagship, it's a relatively bargain and I would think it might appeal to a lot of budget-conscious power users.  

Anyway, just a random observation.  I was prepared for an atmospheric river [flood, for the uninitiated] of "will it work" posts in the Phones & Hardware area asking about it.

@srlawren 

it's a known issue on the 6's. it looks cool though. it tends to happen only for night shots. for whatever reason the software is adding that red flare to the picture. I'm sure there was ambient light around, but it shouldn't do that. 

hopefully Google will be able to fix it or at least reduce the amount of effect in the next few camera updates. 

I'm just picky since the reason I would upgrade would be for the camera. the telephoto is a nice addition. but my pixel 4 beats the 6 and pro from 2x-3.9x and I use these focal lengths regularly. 

@srlawren 

You definitely lose definition and quality when uploading photos to your gallery on the community Its most obvious when you zoom in. When I have had a specific conversation with another member about photography I have shared using the Google photos link in private messaging so that photos could be viewed in their original form.

@gpixel 

At first I was thinking that glare was from the photo being taken thru glass. If you recall it was that very effect that my moto and samsung cameras could not overcome that made the pixel stand out. Although given the right circumstances exploiting that effect can enhance the composition of the photo when shooting directly into the light source and I have done that often in the past with my SLR and DSLR cameras.

Regular camera mode at last night's Canucks game.NightSight

srlawren

@gpixel wrote:

the rest of the pics look great. Google just needs to work on certain scenarios

@gpixel I'm not sure if it comes across looking at the photos in the community's gallery (or if they may have even been recompressed after uploading) but oh my phone if I pinch in on the the book and album spines, I can actually read the text on most of them pretty clearly.  And while they were taken indoors, it wasn't a super-bright place (it was a restaurant lit more for ambiance).  Pretty impressive in my mind anyway.

srlawren

@gpixel wrote:

PXL_20211213_025747521~2.jpg

this is one of the reasons I'm skipping out on the pixel 6. that's not even fixable with post processing. the rest of the pics look great. Google just needs to work on certain scenarios

@gpixel yeah there's some lens flare/haloing there.  Bear in mind I'm far from a good photographer, and these were point and shoot.  I can't remember if I manually turned on Night Sight mode for that photo or if it was selected automatically, but it was on.

On the completely other hand though, look at the clarity of the street signs, stop sign, background buildings and dumpster (oh hey I should try Magic Eraser on that dumpster....stay tuned), power lines, etc.  This was taken in full darkness (thanks, long December nights 🤐) and I think overall despite that flaring you circled, that it looks really good.  I can live with that downside.  I wish I'd had my old OP7 with me to compare but I'm fully over to the P6 now and not carrying it around with me--I'm quite confident it would not have turned out anywhere near this good though.  I'll try to do some comparisons another time.

PXL_20211213_025747521~2.jpg

this is one of the reasons I'm skipping out on the pixel 6. that's not even fixable with post processing. the rest of the pics look great. Google just needs to work on certain scenarios

srlawren

@darlicious wrote:

@srlawren 

Oh, Oh, Oh! Mr. Kotter! Mr. Kotter! Post some photos in any of my many photo threads in the lounge!

@darlicious I couldn't decide on a thread, but here are some samples I took yesterday.  The one of the fruit stand and paint store were taken on Victoria Drive (Vancouver) in the early afternoon (overcast, light rain), and the rest were taken inside (and the street signs obviously outside) the Story Cafe restaurant (Richmond).

PXL_20211213_025747521.jpgPXL_20211213_014338087.jpgPXL_20211213_014236075.NIGHT.jpgPXL_20211213_011809327.jpgPXL_20211213_011312543.jpgPXL_20211213_011038718.jpgPXL_20211213_011020099.jpgPXL_20211213_011003620.jpgPXL_20211213_010228589.jpgPXL_20211213_010221225.jpgPXL_20211212_205802373.jpgPXL_20211212_205613423.jpg

@ShawnC13 

I hate prime....it takes me forever to find where to cancel the dang thing. I got so frustrated last month that I just removed my credit card. They charged me anyways! Now there's going to be trouble!!

I have Prime all year long.  They are at my house so much it is crazy!!  This is the first time I have seen shipping dates like this.  I usually get one or 2 day shipping

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

srlawren

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@srlawren Prime shipping for some.  Even with my Prime membership it won't be here until the 23rd yet if I changed my address to the mainland I would get it tomorrow.  CRAZY!

@ShawnC13 hey it's not Spigen's fault you live on the island! LOL.  Sorry.

Okay no fair enough, I should say: "with free one-day Prime shipping in supported major metropolitan areas not separated from the rest of the country by the ocean", I guess, "and free it'll-take-a-bit-longer Prime shipping to anywhere else in Canada".  As @softech wasn't complaining about the speed of delivery, I think we can ignore that part and say that the cases are affordable on Amazon and feature "free* eventually shipping".

*assuming you're already paying for a Prime membership or like me activate the free trial every so often and order a bunch of stuff I need and cancel before being billed for Prime.

@srlawren Prime shipping for some.  Even with my Prime membership it won't be here until the 23rd yet if I changed my address to the mainland I would get it tomorrow.  CRAZY!

srlawren

@softech wrote:

cant go wrong with Spigen..just wish it is cheaper  🙂

@softech if you get them on Amazon.ca, they are quite affordable.  I got my Liquid Air for $13.99 with free one-day Prime shipping, and then late last night I ordered a Rugged Armor (thanks @gpixel and @ShawnC13 for convincing me to take another look) for $15.99 with free one-day Prime shipping (coming tomorrow).  I have seen cheaper cases on Amazon, but not significantly.  II would consider them affordable.  (Just, don't buy them at retail as they definitely marked up at The Source, Best Buy, etc.)

cant go wrong with Spigen..just wish it is cheaper  🙂

@rossputin 

But the Google Pixel 3 XL doesn't have a headphone jack so it was left out of most of the ones I read. The pixel 3 and the 3 XL were tested and compared for sound in some but not any of the headphone ones as the headphone jack was a prerequisite for inclusion.

@gpixel wrote:

@srlawren 

I think spigen is the best brand for slim cases and maximum protection. yeah I think liquid air is supposed to be just a hair thinner and lighter, but very close to the rugged armor. the first time I dropped my pixel 1 down some concrete stairs at work, I thought for sure it was shattered... I picked it up and I was relieved to find no cracks on the front. so I took off the case and looked at the glass on the back and no scratches at all.

as for the screen protector you would probably have to just try it and see if it interferes with it or not. Google cheaped out on the sensor... they should of just stayed with the rear fingerprint scanner. It's better to break the glass up top instead of the glass beneath it. I know it's saved me a few times. I've broken two tempered glass protectors on my 4. no scratches or marks at all after the shattered glass was removed. the screen protector is obviously weaker and will crack easier, but it absorbs the impact. there's also a setting to increase the screen sensitivity under display options if you really feel it's reduced. I just bought the cheapest one off Amazon. but, ideally you would want 2-2.5mm thickness. I found that range to be the best for a nearly identical feel before the screen protector was applied. most protectors out there are 3mm. 

Spigen has been a great case on OnePlus 7 and I have ordered a couple for the Pixel 6!!

rossputin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@darlicious , I believe.@srlawren refers to a Pixel 3 XL (no "a"). That could conceivably explain any difference.

@rossputin 

When I read the sound and headphones comparisons and tests supplied by @srlawren in your headphones thread the Google Pixel 3a XL ranked near the top 3 in all categories. I think you got dud.

Need Help? Let's chat.