cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good ol' Days.

Priority
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I just found this amongst My Collection and wanted to share it here. 

Anyone remember these old analog Public Mobile Phones?

20230827_135712.jpg

7 REPLIES 7

Korth_
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@hairbag1 wrote:
How was the Community different ? I've been around since '17

I joined mid-2014. But lost that account and rejoined early-2016.

The Public Mobile Community was more or less the same, although many members from that era are gone or rarely visit anymore.

But the Community felt very different. Because the Mods were active participants, they were aware of problems and they were motivated to fix them. They sometimes even circumvented normal procedures to fix or solve things, some behind-the-scenes magic outside of their normal tasks. They always solicited feedback and considered suggestions, they built a reputation as trusted and helpful members. Public Mobile was a little operator without real advertising, they relied entirely on word of mouth, trust, and reputation to attract and to retain subscribers. New members were typically impressed and eager to recruit referrals.

Over time, this evolved into the current tries-not-to-look-like-Telus impersonal corporate stupidbot, support tickets, and email "call" center full of revolving names. There's been a lot of welcome improvements. There's been a lot of changes which eroded, reversed, or ruined previous operations. Public Mobile is a rather obvious subsidiary brand which is sometimes leveraged to "promote" subscribers up the Telus revenue ladder - it's no longer an independent brand working to grow and improve and provide excellent, low-cost service.

A lot of the changes here were caused by changes in cellular technology and infrastructure. I suppose they affected the evolution of every carrier, brand, and operator - but I haven't been an attentive observer of those others so I can't make any real, supported statements or comparisons.

@Community_QA_ wrote:

@Priority I remember that, but that was a different Public Mobile back then. 

and the Community is very different now too

How was the Community different ? I've been around since '17 and note the Community is quick to address most customer questions. Some flash-in-the-pan members have come and gone...but alot of oldsters here too.  What are some of the positive changes you've noticed ?

Community_QA_
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Priority I remember that, but that was a different Public Mobile back then. 

and the Community is very different now too

Priority
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

That's awesome, thanks for this insight. 🙌

I figured it was from before Public Mobile was acquired by Telus. 

The phone or @Priority ? 😂

@Priority wrote:

I just found this amongst My Collection and wanted to share it here. 

Anyone remember these old analog Public Mobile Phones?

20230827_135712.jpg

I remember these devices. This was before Telus bought the brand.  Beleive it or not, those phone's weren't analog.  Even Public Mobie's past CDMA was a digital network. The old analog AMPS networks were phased out in Canada not long before Public Mobile started offering services.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

Hahahahha it’s a relic 

Need Help? Let's chat.