cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 phones and a sim

rossputin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Not to be confused with a certain internet video that made the rounds some years ago.

Getting a new phone but can't decide between 2 (Pixel and upcoming iPhone SE 3rd generation).  Both have return policies so want to try both.  Is there any reasons I can't just switch my SIM between the two for comparison?

13 REPLIES 13

@rossputin 

No I don’t have a Pixel 6 but my sister-in-law just purchase on. She upgraded from a Pixel 2XL.

She is happy with it so far…her and her husband are Pixel fans.

Me, I am an iPhone and Samsung user but for sound quality I prefer Samsung. You can customize the 20-20khz on the phone to you hearing. It brings out the sound quality to your hearing.

rossputin

@BKNS27 I'm not neceassrily an audiophile but the Pixel 3AXL's audio was so poor it defied logic.

Do you have the Pixe 6?  Like it?

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@rossputin 

Good choice on the Pixel 6. I am an audiophile too but all the newer phone you need Bluetooth headphones.

I much prefer plug-in IEM headphones with 6-10 drivers like KZ or CCA in-ear monitors ($20 to $50) for a cleaner sound along with a DAC.

Reviewers rarely discuss bluetooth headset audio qualities - unless these qualities are somehow deficient.

You don't need "audiophile" quality for phone calls. Any standard Bluetooth headset with adequate range and battery life will do. No point in having better fidelity specs on audio input and audio output hardware if the expensive excess will all be lost anyhow - the phone's internal codecs and the network's encoding protocols are the maximum "real" quality anyone can hear across the phone.

You might want better headphones/speakers if you listen to music or lengthy audio presentations. You might want to ensure you pick headphones with minimum lags and latencies if you do online gaming chatter. You might want to ensure your headphones have good selection or filtering features if you plan to use them a lot in crowded environments (especially in crowded environments where everyone else is crowding the Bluetooth radio channels).

It's a market full of crazy hype and advertising. Simple fact of the matter is that these products will last a while but they're basically disposable. The super-cheap dollar store brands are garbage. The super-costly elite brands are essentially a waste of money (unless you understand that you're buying fashion, not tech). The products in the middle tiers are fiercely competitive and basically price themselves so you basically get exactly what you pay for. Just decide how much you're willing to spend, which brand(s) you prefer to include or exclude, what style and colour you like, make sure it works with your phone before you leave the store, and you can't go far wrong.

rossputin

Hi @BKNS27 ,

I don't need the latest and greatest, but I do want excellent sound via headphones.  Bizzarly no reviews ever include that (don't say it depends on the headphones!  Drives me nuts.  Can easily use the same pair for comparison)  Only device speakers.

As long as it is a step up in every other way from my currenty Pixel 3a XL I'll be happy.

So, I've ordered the Pixel 6 but it hasn't shipped yet and it's day 8.  Ridiculous.  So to that point I'm receptive to another iPhone almost 10 years later!  I hear the 12 is decent so considering the mini to save a few bucks.  Similarly the current SE apparently sucks so I'm interested in the 3rd generation due in a week(ish).

@rossputin wrote:

No error.  I haven't even done it yet.

No reason why you cannot just test it out.   

For PM, they don't really care which phones you are using or switching, as long as the phones are compatible, which they are in your case.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@rossputin 

Yes, the SIM can be swapped between phones. What are you looking for in a phone?

Both are great phones but that seems new models with new features are coming out every year.

- great picture?

- security?

- support and updates?

- easy to navigate the phone?

- the look and feel of the phone?

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@rossputin 

As long as the phones are SIM-compatible, radio-compatible, not carrier-locked (ie: unlocked), and not blacklisted (not registered as lost/stolen/etc) then you can use any active SIM in any phone. So you can freely switch your SIM between these two phones, between any number of different phones. You could even use a different phone every day, if you like.

I routinely swap my own PM SIM card into phones belonging to (potential) referrals. To demonstrate that PM will work on their phone. And to test whether their phone will work on PM - sometimes it won't because it's locked by another carrier. All it takes is a couple minutes and a couple restarts, while they watch. Easy peasy.

The only problem I would anticipate is that Android and iOS do certain things very differently. I wouldn't rely on being able to access saved contacts, accounts, or any data stored on either device (or in the clouds) while on the other device. You may have to manually input your information onto both devices.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@rossputin 

I'm not quite sure how the carrier profile update works with a brand new iPhone but in normal circumstances you have to update via iTunes so keep that in mind when switching the sim card between phones but other than that I don't see an issue.

I now know where all the open box deals come from?....lol.....

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

rossputin

Currently android. Pixel 3aXL which is fine except the sound via headphones is abysmal. Recently broken screen so definetly need a phone.
I've ordered the Pixel 6 hoping improved sound but it's been over a week and still not shipped which royally pisses me off considering it wasn't out of stock. But 30 day return policy for when it finally ships.
Sooooo, the 3rd generation iPhone SE is scheduled for released this March (8th?) so I am interested in that as well.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@rossputin wrote:

Not to be confused with a certain internet video that made the rounds some years ago.

Getting a new phone but can't decide between 2 (Pixel and upcoming iPhone SE 3rd generation).  Both have return policies so want to try both.  Is there any reasons I can't just switch my SIM between the two for comparison?

@rossputin  - No reason I can think of.

If you can return open box phones, then go for it to try each of them out.

Before you return either one make sure to factory reset it to erase everything first.

Are you currently an android or apple user now? Would be interesting if you make a switch or not.

rossputin

No error.  I haven't even done it yet.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@rossputin wrote:

Is there any reasons I can't just switch my SIM between the two for comparison?

You got error ?  what was the error? did you got it on Pixel or iPhone?

Need Help? Let's chat.