cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart set up the account; can't port number over now

Fthop
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, 

I just signed up with PM, by purchasing the SIM Card and time cards at Walmart. 

The associate there "set up" the account and service for me, but she did not port my old number over, and now I am unable to change my number or begin the porting process. 

She also skipped over the part where I can say who referred me, so that both parties can get the $25 credit on their accounts. 

Is there anyway to resolve these issues?

Thanks. 

26 REPLIES 26

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@will13am wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

@will13am, I just finally completed my plan change using Safari on macOS on my MacBookAir.  Oh, the struggles!

So many inconsistencies across multiple platforms of OS, browsers, and it's insane to imagine that service providers don't address these issues in a timely fashion.  I know Public Mobile is the unwanted child platform, but if they're going to keep it, it needs to work better for those of us who choose to use it.

Public Mobile is probably cursing at people like you and me who refuse to leave to Koodo.  They are testing your pain threshold.

Count me among that "accursed" lot, lol.  Since I have quite the balance in my account, I'll probably hang on tooth and nail until they offer me something I can't refuse, which will probably never happen.

Lol I'm in the same boat with the 4.5 for 40 on Aug 16

Decided on the $45 for 5.5 GB 30-day promo.

Was looking around, considered switching to Freedom for thier 5 GB for $55 with talk and txt included, but figured as I like Public Mobiles more stable and consistent coverage and my rewards, the speed difference between LTE and 3G throttled LTE, staying here with Public just makes sense.  Still don’t like the change to 30 days, however I’m more ready now for changing carriers in the future if there is ever a deal that suits me better.

The strange data block of 5.5 GB is close enough to 6GB per 30 days for me, without going to to $50/30-day or $150/90-day for the GB deals.  I don’t call the US at any regular int interval, and Canada wide calling is just a bonus I might use when I travel outside the province.

Edit to add... Plan change is set for Sept 8th still.... I may still change my mind.

@stonechucker wrote:

@will13am, I just finally completed my plan change using Safari on macOS on my MacBookAir.  Oh, the struggles!

So many inconsistencies across multiple platforms of OS, browsers, and it's insane to imagine that service providers don't address these issues in a timely fashion.  I know Public Mobile is the unwanted child platform, but if they're going to keep it, it needs to work better for those of us who choose to use it.

Finally did the change @stonechucker? Lol. To which plan?

@stonechucker wrote:

Public Mobile is probably cursing at people like you and me who refuse to leave to Koodo.  They are testing your pain threshold.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

It's looking a lot like fall 2016.

@Fthop@Clefort88

Hopefully, the moderators get back to you soon, but with the many activations and issues with the past web site maintenance, there are delays with the moderator response.  Hopefully, moderators have caught up with the backlog,  Some people have been waiting 1-3 days for their number to port over.  Some frustrated customers.  Hopefully, your old number is still working with your old provider.  

Clefort88
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
@will13am
I'll say!
Even Chrome won't do the switch or port. The tabs are always coming up as "generic error".
Super frustrating.

It's unfortunate that it's been an hour and a bit since the messages to the Mods went out. Never had to wait this long for a solution, let alone answer.

Fthop

Downloading Chrome now to see if that helps in any way. Still waiting on Moderators.

@Clefort88 wrote:

Hey all, I'm the one who referred him to PM. 

We've used both the Self Serve tab and the Plans and Add-ons tab to attempt the port. I've helped quite a few others make the switch to PM and this is the first instance of issues happening. 

Waiting on mods to reply to see if it can be sorted out but the system just doesn't seem to want to make the change or port lol 

They really broke a lot of stuff with the last maintenance update. 

@Fthop wrote:

@will13am

I actually just switched to FireFox, incognito, and now neither the Plans & Add-ons tab, or the Self Serve "Change Number" button will work.

The same "Generic Error" comes up again.

Still haven't heard back from the Moderators.

This is exactly the problems I have been seeing.  It's not consistent though, sometimes it works sometimes not.  Chrome seems to be immune to this problem.

Clefort88
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hey all, I'm the one who referred him to PM. 

We've used both the Self Serve tab and the Plans and Add-ons tab to attempt the port. I've helped quite a few others make the switch to PM and this is the first instance of issues happening. 

Waiting on mods to reply to see if it can be sorted out but the system just doesn't seem to want to make the change or port lol 

Fthop

@will13am

I actually just switched to FireFox, incognito, and now neither the Plans & Add-ons tab, or the Self Serve "Change Number" button will work.

The same "Generic Error" comes up again.

Still haven't heard back from the Moderators.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Fthop, try clearing browser cache or using incognito mode.  This may fix the problem you are having with on porting.  

Concerning the referral reward, the $25 bonus applies to online activation, not in store activation.  

Fthop

Yes, I came from Koodo. 

I have messaged the Moderator Team twice and am just waiting to hear back from them, I guess. 

popping

@Fthop wrote:

Yes, the tab is working now, but I enter in the number and it's telling me :

We were unable to transfer the phone number you entered. Try one of the following options:
-  Make sure you entered your number correctly.
-  Select a new number.
-  Contact the Public Mobile Community for further assistance.

I keep doing this about every 2 minutes now. And I am getting this same message. 

Are you porting a Koodo prepaid number to PM?

If yes, you need to send a private message to moderator team.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Fthop

Yes, the tab is working now, but I enter in the number and it's telling me :

We were unable to transfer the phone number you entered. Try one of the following options:
-  Select a new number.

I keep doing this about every 2 minutes now. And I am getting this same message. 

Fthop

@popping

I have done that. The friend that referred me is going through every option with me and it's simply saying it can't be done lol She's been with PM for over a year. 

popping

@Fthop

Try it again.  It is working now.  Just checked 2 minutes ago.

Plan and Add-Ons --> Change Phone Number --> Transfer a wireless or wireline number

Fthop

@Anonymous

I just tried again in self serve and rather than a generic error, I received this: 

-  Select a new number.

The number is correct, I don't want a new number, and I am waiting on assistance from the Moderators lol

Fthop

@Anonymous, I have actually tried to do that already. The friend who referred me to PM is actually standing right here with me, and every time I try to change and port, there is a generic error and takes me back to the self serve page. 

I use this phone for both business and personal; it is essential that I am able to port the number over, asap. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Fthop, you can port in your number from previous provider yourself using the self serve portal.   If you haven't already done so, set yourself up in the portal.  There is an option to change phone number.  From there, select the option to transfer an existing number.   Not that if you are transferring from Koodo prepaid, you must ask a moderator to do the transfer for you.  As for the referral credit, I don't know if it applies when you activate at Walmart.   If it does, and it wasn't entered at activation time, you can ask the moderators to add it for you.

Click here to send the moderator team a private message. Their hours are: Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM(EST) & Sat/Sun 9AM-7:30PM(EST)
You can find information regarding the moderator team by following this link.

Fthop

Thank you @popping

I did send them a message, but I will send another one with the information that they need, that you posted about. 

Thank you. 

JL9
Mayor / Maire

This horrible service from them seems to be the norm. Unfortunately it is very hard to go back after the fact to get these things rectified, but you should private message the moderators to see what can be done.

popping

@Fthop

You can do number porting online.  But the "Plan and Add-on" tab is not working.

The Plan and Add-Ons tab is working now.

Plan and Add-Ons --> Change Phone Number --> Transfer a wireless or wireline number

Click the following link to send a private message to Community Moderators to ask for help.
Please include your PM Phone Number, 4 digit PIN, Account email address, Detailed explanation of your issue

Don't know your pin?--provide any 3 of the following:
- Complete mailing address,
- Email address,
- Alternate phone number,
- Date of birth,
- Last top up date & amount

Community Moderators are available from:
Monday to Friday from 9am (EDT) to 9pm (EDT)
Saturday and Sunday from 9am (EDT) to 7:30pm (EDT)

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.