cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Fraud or cloned SIM?

Just before my working day was over I started receiving emails from paypal indicating there were changes completed to my account and new charges/payments to my account. I tried to recover paypal account to found out my phone suddently stopped working - no calls or messages, emergency calls only. 

After a few hours dealing with my credit card provider and Paypal, I realized I could see call and messages throught my PM account, these calls and messages I did not make. My phone was always (!) with me and it worked this morning.

So, I blocked services as "Lost/Stole Phone". When I pressed a button "Change SIM Card" I noticed it has last 4 numbers which are completely different from a SIM card number in my phone. 

How did it happend and what shall I do?

Did anybody have the same experience?

I could not even imagine it is possible to steal your phone number and use it to make purchases with PalPal!

Tags (2)
Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: Fraud or cloned SIM?

@pavellyzhin , first thing, send a private message to the moderators by clicking this link

Highlighted

@pavellyzhin wrote:

Just before my working day was over I started receiving emails from paypal indicating there were changes completed to my account and new charges/payments to my account. I tried to recover paypal account to found out my phone suddently stopped working - no calls or messages, emergency calls only. 

After a few hours dealing with my credit card provider and Paypal, I realized I could see call and messages throught my PM account, these calls and messages I did not make. My phone was always (!) with me and it worked this morning.

So, I blocked services as "Lost/Stole Phone". When I pressed a button "Change SIM Card" I noticed it has last 4 numbers which are completely different from a SIM card number in my phone. 

How did it happend and what shall I do?

Did anybody have the same experience?

I could not even imagine it is possible to steal your phone number and use it to make purchases with PalPal!

@pavellyzhin Wow. It is scary. You have to contact Moderator ASAP. Use the enevlop icon and send to "Moderator_Team" and see how they say about this situation. It may take up 2 days to get the response. 

Highlighted

@pavellyzhin never experienced this.  Once you find out additional details, I hope you can update this thread to let us know what happened.  Maybe they hacked your PayPal account, and that was linked to your Public Mobile number?  

Highlighted

So, Yes, I contacted moderator too. thank you for the advice.

The problem not with a paypal account (I got access to it finaly through email recovery) but with a PM phone number. I dont have an access to my phone! My sim card looks like its not active and somebody made call to Quebec and sent/received messaged from a phone which was always in my poccket all the time. This is really weird!

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Sorry to hear about your problem. Could you have Malware (a virus) on your phone?

Malware can be included with  apps installed on your phone.

Highlighted

@pavellyzhin wrote:

So, Yes, I contacted moderator too. thank you for the advice.

The problem not with a paypal account (I got access to it finaly through email recovery) but with a PM phone number. I dont have an access to my phone! My sim card looks like its not active and somebody made call to Quebec and sent/received messaged from a phone which was always in my poccket all the time. This is really weird!

Wow, right out of spy novel!!!  Only heard of spoofing a SIM; never experienced it.  Definitely let us know, if possible, how this happened once the moderators/PM tech team can take a look. 

Highlighted

I dont use cellphone a lot. I am from the old school - phone to make calls. But yes, I decided to run an antivirus - nothing was found.

@Tony8 wrote:

Sorry to hear about your problem. Could you have Malware (a virus) on your phone?

Malware can be included with  apps installed on your phone.

Highlighted
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@pavellyzhin when you say the SIM card # in your self-serve account was different, it sounds like someone may have guessed your self-serve account password and swapped your SIM card out for their own.  You may want to immediately change your self-serve password; use something strong and unique.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Highlighted

@pavellyzhin what I'm reading about SIM spoofing is they contact the carrier and convince them to move the number by activating a new SIM card.  So your number would no longer work with the SIM in your phone.  I think that's what happened here based on your description.  However, in Public Mobile's case, we can change our SIM's through our self-serve account. Sooooo, the question is did it occur via the self-serve account, or did they contact the moderators and do it that way?  I'm leaning towards the self-serve account being hacked, but then again, the weakness in most systems is the human.  WOW!!! I gotta have a drink!