cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Referral -Maybe something new in the works??

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Was playing around on the Private Messages and noticed something new today.Thanks gblack for being my tester lol.

Anyways most know about people sending unsolicited referrals through inbox which is against the terms and conditions of these forums.

I noticed today that when you write Referral Code in the subject line the line turns  light blue now. Does this happen to anyone else? (I'm on Chrome mobile)

Maybe something in the works to have the system block private messages regarding referrals?

Screenshot_20200903_130744.jpg

Gblack confirmed he did receive the message still.

Curious if the blue subject line means something like it's in the works that system will block these messages or that maybe a notification is sent to Moderators to look at the message🤔

13 REPLIES 13

@kb_mv wrote:

@RosieR @Jb456 Many months after I started here and was credited with solutions and was obviously not a newcomer, I had occasion to ask a question. One PM that I received stood out from all the others, not only was there an offered referral code and a don't forget to use this message, it also included a link to a credit card which the sender would receive rewards if I signed up using his referral code for that too.

@kb_mv well, did you get the credit card? lol just kidding 😂

So some people are using the PM Community to network and sell other products.  In other forums, we report them as that is considered spamming and they are banned.  But here according to a reply I had read, someone could be using someone else's code so banning (or something similar) will not work.  oh well.

Thank you for the reply @kb_mv 🌻

@RosieR @Jb456 Many months after I started here and was credited with solutions and was obviously not a newcomer, I had occasion to ask a question. One PM that I received stood out from all the others, not only was there an offered referral code and a don't forget to use this message, it also included a link to a credit card which the sender would receive rewards if I signed up using his referral code for that too.

@Jb456 thank you the response to my newbie question and the link.  I am learning so much from the Community.  I discovered the Community after I activated my account and it was a pleasant surprise that the Community is very active and very helpful.  

It would have never occurred to me to be a member of a community that I am not a user... why da heck would I want to do that?  I belong to social forums that I am a member, that's it.

anyway, thank you once again for the detailed response and link.  😊

@RosieR  there are times that people create a forum account before activating a sim card with Public Mobile to read / learn about PM.

The terms / conditions of the forums are that members are not allowed to post their referral code or send unsolicited private messages.

If a person posts on a thread or starts their own thread asking for a referral code then other members can inbox their code in hopes that it is used. As the person will receive alot of codes. Some will use the code of the person that helped them out and others just take whatever one from the inbox.

Or if a new person sends a private message first to another member asking for a code. That is allowed as well.

A few months ago it came to light that people were just signing up and getting bombarded with private inbox messages. Some people might be using the "Please welcome our newest member" area that displays the new username signups to inbox their code (I don't know)

In the past an Oracle (NDesai) created a thread for members to report usernames that are sending unsolicited messages. Although it has not really been used and it appears some moderators that are notified don't really do anything and brush it off.

You can read that thread on below link.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Report-Unsolicited-Referral-Reques...

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

@mm80 wrote:

@RosieR You can be on Community before activating a plan. They're hoping that the new members use the code.

Hi @mm80 thank you for the fast reply.  Now I know.  🌹

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@RosieR You can be on Community before activating a plan. They're hoping that the new members use the code.

@Jb456 My question is, why would anyone send their referral codes to fellow users?  Everyone here has their own referral codes?  Another newbie question.  😀

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@dabr  Ya PM likely don't care as Mr PCGeek pointed out. Besides they have more important matters to attend to like that darn auto-pay system lol 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Jb456 wrote:

@dabr  figures I can't reproduce it now 🤣 maybe my phone is just acting stu.pid lol.

But before screen shots were like this.

I typed referral code it went blue in the subject line.

If I would erase the E then it would go back to white.

Screenshot_20200903_133918.jpg

Now it seems all normal again 🤷‍♂️

Everyone just forget my silly post haha. @computergeek541  throw it in the lounge please and thank you!

@Jb456   Isn't that always the case? 😊   But I thought @gblackma said in his post that he was seeing the thing as you but was able to get around it?  So it couldn't be just you, but my test unfortunately didn't get the same results as you or gblackma.  But I still think it seemed like a good idea but computergeek is probably right that PM wouldn't care about this unless someone complained to them. 😊

@dabr  figures I can't reproduce it now 🤣 maybe my phone is just acting stu.pid lol.

But before screen shots were like this.

I typed referral code it went blue in the subject line.

If I would erase the E then it would go back to white.

Screenshot_20200903_133918.jpg

Now it seems all normal again 🤷‍♂️

Everyone just forget my silly post haha. @computergeek541  throw it in the lounge please and thank you!

@Jb456 I'm not sure that Public Mobile would even care, as long as someone doesn't complain about receiving such messages. Unless someone feels that unwelcomed messages are being received or illegal activatvies are being conducted, I don't see it as Public Mobile's place to monitor what members say to each other in private. 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Jb456   That actually would be a good idea if PM has/is initiating some sort of alert to the system for unsolicited referrals. 

So the background colour only changes when you add Referral in the subject line and not for any other topic?

Edit:  looks like gblackma has answered my question, so there's a workaround still for anyone to send their referrals if they wanted to get around the system alert (assuming that's what it is).

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Jb456 interesting it turns blue if referral code are the first words inserted but not if another word is entered first ex Thanks for using my referral code. Etc.Stay safe. 

Need Help? Let's chat.