cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mayor / Maire

Re: Purchasing SIM's at Walmart

@will13amwrote: 

Now the conspiracy theorist in me think this might be the beginning of the end for the community forum concept.  The experiment is over, we are going to do business the old way.  Hope this isn't so. 

I doubt they'll do away with the community forum concept.  It's proven able to resolve (and filter out) tons of common and solvable problems without involving paid support staff.  Perhaps augmenting the DIY self-serve with live support personnel is a good thing, even if PM/Telus pays them some sort of "vendor reward" incentive for providing successful service.

That being said, I think PM customers should always have the choice of retail-service or self-service.  I agree that it would be sad to see the community (and community reward) phased out.  There'd be little point in staying with PM if they evolve into the same species as every other carrier.

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you need a sim card just to go K Mobile https://www.k-mobile.ca/store-locator-phone-store-near-me/

Do not bother going to Wal-Mart or WoW Mobile. Even if they have SIM cards they will say no because they want you to sign up with a post-paid plan.

When i needed a SIM card urgently i went to three different wal-mart location and two of them said we don't sell PM SIM cards and one of the location said they are sold out!!!

Went to two different WOW mobile store...both were sold out!! what are the odds right?

Try K Mobile. They always have PM SIM cards. If you are in Mississauga area, i would suggest going to 30 eglinton ave w location. They even do Top-up without charging extra fee!

Mayor / Maire

Well, I just asked at my local Wallmart in Laval, QC, and was told that they must activate the SIM in store.

@Moderator_Team, I guess the message hasn't been relayed to the stores yet.

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

You can read about Walmart Card here https://convoswithcosmo.com/www-walmart-credit-card-login-page/ For using the Walmart Credit Card Payment and Login you must create an account on walmart.com.

Oracle

@siriochanoskov sorry but what does your link have to do with buying a sim card?

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

To the Management / Moderators of PM

I believe what you are telling us is incorrect.  There are reports listed in this thread from Walmarts in BC and throughout Ontario that the policy is - "If you want a SIM we will activate it for you - or you can't have one".  I was in Walmart on February 27th again, trying to purchase a SIM card without activation.  I then spoke to the store manager - and we went back to the wireless department for resolution.  I asked if someone would supply me with a copy of the email that notified staff of the change in policy where SIM cards from PM must be sold activated.  I was told they would not make that available.

I then told them it is strange that the manufacturer is telling Walmart how their product is to be sold - and Walmart isn't listening.

PM - Please either fix the problem OR post a notice of change to your policy regarding Walmart.  Please stop misleading your customers that they can purchase a SIM card at Walmart without activation.

Oracle

@Moderator_Team, @Brooke_C can you please look into this? And report back.

@BlackSkywrote:

To the Management / Moderators of PM

I believe what you are telling us is incorrect.  There are reports listed in this thread from Walmarts in BC and throughout Ontario that the policy is - "If you want a SIM we will activate it for you - or you can't have one".  I was in Walmart on February 27th again, trying to purchase a SIM card without activation.  I then spoke to the store manager - and we went back to the wireless department for resolution.  I asked if someone would supply me with a copy of the email that notified staff of the change in policy where SIM cards from PM must be sold activated.  I was told they would not make that available.

I then told them it is strange that the manufacturer is telling Walmart how their product is to be sold - and Walmart isn't listening.

PM - Please either fix the problem OR post a notice of change to your policy regarding Walmart.  Please stop misleading your customers that they can purchase a SIM card at Walmart without activation.

Retraité / Retired

Hey @BlackSky, @mimmo and all other community members.

We're truly sorry to hear that Wal-Mart reps are insisting that they need to activate the SIM card on your behalf. I can all assure you that this is not true - you can purchase a SIM without activating it in store and we did not change our policies. As most of you community members are aware, I am an official Public Mobile employee (community moderator) and I can confirm my statement: You Can Purchase a SIM at Wal-Mart Without Activating It.

Now, we will have to gather some feedback regarding these specific locations in order to get the situation rectified. Can you please send me a private message including the details of these Wal-Mart locations?

Kind regards,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Just curios...anyone successfully bought SIM card from wal-mart without a single question asked?

Three locations in Mississauga area:

1. We are out of PM SIM cards. Two weeks later just asked again...and they said don't have them yet.

2. Employee had no idea about Public Mobile. Offered me help if i wanted to activate a monthly plan with Koodo.

3. Their wireless department closed after 6pm and asked me to come check next day.

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

The Walmart guy told me Public Mobile was the best bang for my buck considering what I needed.

Walmart also has a special package with 1GB of internet, province wide calling, international text, call display and voicemail for $30.

Signed up on Prepaid in store and had to scroll through numbers which I was not happy with.

Still upset I had to pay $10 for a SIM card, when we are becoming customers.