cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texting-only plans

ShaRose
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So, I know from researching that the custom plan system was removed and there aren't any text-only plans currently available. Does anyone know if those systems will be coming back? I was hoping to set up my old phone with a cheap-as-possible texting only plan for alerting (So if my internet or something goes out at home I get a text instead of, well, an email which can't get out). 15 a month is a bit high for maybe at most 100 texts a month (assuming I set up other alerting for it).

19 REPLIES 19

@ShaRose wrote:

So, I know from researching that the custom plan system was removed and there aren't any text-only plans currently available. Does anyone know if those systems will be coming back? I was hoping to set up my old phone with a cheap-as-possible texting only plan for alerting (So if my internet or something goes out at home I get a text instead of, well, an email which can't get out). 15 a month is a bit high for maybe at most 100 texts a month (assuming I set up other alerting for it).

I can't predict the future, but I can't see that happening. The $15 plan is likely the lowest that they'll go for unlimited texting. 

@will13am wrote:

@totalUser wrote:

Ooops @will13am 

No 60 accounts, i guess i'm not very clear

Op opens one account with the 60 plan

The running promo will give 60 to op accountunt

Referral will give 10

Registered autopay will give 2 since we pay full price for the1st cycle

Then schedule switch to 15 plan once all the money is on account and when the balance is 72

The first month is not free.  You have to buy something that you don't need/want just to get the credit back the next month???  

Yeas, you can think of it as paying 66 over 7 months

That would be 144 over 13 cycle, which would make it 11/cycle for the first year. That would make it 0.25 cheaper than 711 the first year

And let's not forget the monthly credit for the origins account

The next year it would be 12, which would be more.75 than 711 (not accounting for the credit to the other account)

And this still doesn't come close to other opportunities and benefits of just better plan, and maybe something else coming along that's even better. 

Things dont change that much at 711 like here ( history shows)

Op is looking for the cheapest option out there that fits

I just claim this is it:) as far as i can see

Ps If it was me i would downgrade my original plan to 15 for that first cycle then go back and use the new sim for all data needs to maximize savings:)

@totalUser wrote:

Ooops @will13am 

Referral will give 10

Then schedule switch to 15 plan once all the money is on account and when the balance is 72

The first month is not free.  You have to buy something that you don't need/want just to get the credit back the next month???  

One more thing to note is that speakout charges extra1.25 fur 911

Also only sms is included, they charge extra for mms as i understand

If op uses selfreferral we can think of it as of 12/mnth and they get much more, like little data if needed and incoming, and dont forget possibilities like future chapter options or more referrals, loyalty and so forth

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@GinYVR wrote:

@poppingSpeakout actually uses Rogers network, so as long as there is service for Rogers in Quebec, Speakout will work.

I know.  SO does not advertied their service in QC because there is no 7-11 stores in QC.  I am not sure that SO will ship their SIM card to QC or not.

@poppingSpeakout actually uses Rogers network, so as long as there is service for Rogers in Quebec, Speakout will work.

Ooops @will13am 

Referral will give 10

@totalUser wrote:

Hi @ShaRose 

If you refer yourself it will be -3

Why dont you go to Wal-Mart and open 60 plan with your referral and autopay.

They will give you 60+10+2=72 on your account the first week

Then you switch to $15  on renewal

You don't have to pay anything for that next 5 months as 5*13=65 and the 7th month you well have to pay 6. 

That is 66/7 <9.5 monthly for the first 7 months and then it will go up to 13 but you'll be 5 months away from 12 ( unless something cheaper comes along)

And to save even more pick Alberta number so that up Are paying only 5% Tax

Great idea except who is going to pay for those 60 accounts?  I do like and use your AB number idea for a couple of accounts.  Why not?  Who remembers anyone's number anyway.

Hi @ShaRose 

If you refer yourself it will be -3

Why dont you go to Wal-Mart and open 60 plan with your referral and autopay.

They will give you 60+10+2=72 on your account the first week

Then you switch to $15  on renewal

You don't have to pay anything for that next 5 months as 5*13=65 and the 7th month you well have to pay 6. 

That is 66/7 <9.5 monthly for the first 7 months and then it will go up to 13 but you'll be 5 months away from 12 ( unless something cheaper comes along)

And to save even more pick Alberta number so that up Are paying only 5% Tax

@ShaRose   Maybe you can send a private message to @smp99   I believe I briefly saw a post by this user offering to sell his $10 plan that was no longer needed.  The post was deleted as it doesn't meet community standards, but you can try and see if the offer is still available.

Here's the link to the original post: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Deleted/m-p/441899?search-action-id=35990...

ShaRose

@poppingNah, I'm just in Newfoundland (outside of St. John's to what seems like Gander, that is).

popping

@ShaRose wrote:

@poppingI'd never heard of Speakout, but they actually have a $10/mo unlimited texting plan. Doesn't matter since they don't need to roam with major carriers and don't have service in my area, however.

Speakout is run by 7-11.  Yes, there is no SO service in QC.

ShaRose

@poppingI'd never heard of Speakout, but they actually have a $10/mo unlimited texting plan. Doesn't matter since they don't need to roam with major carriers and don't have service in my area, however.

ShaRose

@hairbag1 Well, if VOIP was an option, I'd just use voip.ms or something so I wouldn't have to use a phone at all. Problem is when the internet is down, that includes wifi: That's why I was hoping for something I could use the mobile network for.

ShaRose

@totalUser Ah, I was thinking it was 5 starter for some reason.

And yes, already with public for my main phone, although not long enough to get loyalty discounts, so it's really only minus the 2 dollars from autopay.

popping

@ShaRose 

PM $13 with autopay is the cheapest plan with unlimited MMS.

Take Speakout as an example, SO charges 15 cents/text.  100 texts/m = $15 + $1.25/m fixed charge.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

If my memory is correct you wouldn't get anything less than15 back then either, the base was 10 and everything you add would be 5 or more.

The options for texts were all or nothing.

So you would have to pay at least 15 but wouldn't get any incoming outgoing nor data.

Because of loyalty i can't see anything cheaper than 10 ever being offered, and 10 was only50 texts with no possibility to add some more.

When you look at public plan You really have to think -7 because of autopay and loyalty. And things can get even cheaper if you refer.

Are you already with public?

GR
Mayor / Maire

@ShaRose also if you get the 15$ plan and use autopay then it's 13$ a month and you can find a few friend refferals and get it down a bit more! 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@ShaRose wrote:

Have a look at using a voip app like TextNow. It's free and you'll get free talk and text...as long as you have wifi.You'll get your own phone number...did I mention it's FREE  ?

I'm sure there's other voip apps, but I've used TextNow and it's great for what it is.

Need Help? Let's chat.