cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Needs to be a bigger plan...

Parkbench13
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I seem to be caught in this ingenious marketing loop where I purchased the biggest plan available with the most available data and since it still doesn't satisfy my need I end up spending more than I did in the first place on additional data. Why can't there be a plan that actually suits people's needs. PM offers unlimited talk unlimited text yet they offer nowhere near the competitions data volume size packages and plans. I pay my 50 bucks every month getting my allotted data and it's easily gone within the first two weeks. Then like a good little client I go and pump another 45-60 bucks into 1 gig for $15 purchases. I'd happily pay double what I'm paying now for double the data I'm getting but like I said in my opening statement I'm just stuck in this ingenious marketing cycle. Anybody know of any other providers who offer significantly more data with a prepay or postpay service?

11 REPLIES 11

@Parkbench13 

Look at phonebox....$65/18gb.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Parkbench13 just saying: you're almost certainly with the wrong carrier!  It sounds like you're paying between $95 and $110 / month (before taxes) to meet your needs here.  PM is not designed for high-volume users unfortunately.  You should probably look at porting out your number ASAP.

Koodo (Telus 2nd tier), Fido (Rogers 2nd tier), and Virgin Mobile (Bell 2nd tier) are all offering 15GB for $70 right now (including of course unlimited texting and calling) on BYOD plans.  These are going to provide way more value for you. 

Or, for closer to your current spend but way more data, speed, and features, have a look at the first tier brands.  Telus, Rogers, and Fido are all currently offering 30GB for $80 or 35GB for $85, with unlimited (albeit throttled) data after that.  

Honestly, you are doing yourself a huge disservice giving PM that much money.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

..honest I doubt they will introduce 25Gb or $80 plans.. they try not to overlap too much with Koodo or Telus 

Anonymous
Not applicable

But where does it stop? Just make it all unlimited, unthrottled. I might pay for that. Then we wouldn't need home internet. I'd be fine with that. Then how much?

But the fact the providers have copper/cable/fibre for home internet as well...do you think they want to poach on that part of their business? Not likely.

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hopefully PM would follow some of the big guys and have those 25gb plans as well. We will see. 

But we need to remember that PM is a discount phone company, not everyone who signs up would want to spend 80$ a month on their phone plan. But I still do see your point.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Parkbench13  yes, PM  focuses more on the lower price range plans.  their $40 and $50 are not as compatible with other carriers.

If you like the service you have in PM, you might want to check Koodo or Telus plan.  Their $50 plans likely suit your needs more.   They have both prepaid and postpaid that have more data.  (Their postpaid plan likely have more compare with prepaid if you don't mind the contract)

Of course, other providers might have plans you like too.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Parkbench13  if you are out west Shaw mobile if you have Shaw internet .  Else freedom mobile also has large data plans.  

Best is to shop around the various providers to see who offers the best plan four your needs.

@Parkbench13 

that is a really bad way of managing an account.

one can easily switch to the next plan down for much cheaper. you could essentially have 15.5gb/month or longer for $88. you can also renew your $50 plan early. but, you would need to contact customer support mods to renew it for you and they don't always respond quickly. you may have to wait a couple days before they get around to renewing your account. it's much better to go this route if you want the most bang for your buck. that's essentially 21gb/month or longer depending how quickly you go through that data. 

even the what I suggest isn't worth it.. $98/21gb throttled LTE vs $80/30gb, $85/35gb from Telus.

first thing to do is use these data saving techniques. find out how much data you use in a month. if you don't have wifi at home then going top tier is probably your best option.. if you have wifi, use it instead of your mobile data. and disable mobile data if you're using wifi. just in case the wifi connection is lost and it falls back to mobile data.

Android disable these settings:

autosync
Google photos backup
Playstore auto updates
backup to Google drive off
disable "automatic system updates" in your "developer options" (to get this option, find your os "build number" located in "about phone" and keep tapping it until "developer options enabled" appears

to save data:
keep your video quality at 480p or lower
turn off autoplay videos on your social networking apps and browser
if you really need to save data. use the "data saver" option if your device has it
use "lite mode" on your browser

Estimated data consumption per hour (YouTube):
360p 315MB
480p 562MB
720p(30fps) 1.27GB+
1080p(30fps) 2.03GB+
4k(30fps) 10.58GB+

iPhone how to save on mobile data:
Disable apps auto update
iTunes & App Stores > Turn Off Use Cellular / Mobile Data

Disable background data
Go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh > Turn it Off entirely or by selective Apps

Disable iCloud sync
Go to Settings > Cellular / Mobile Data > Turn Off iCloud Drive

Disable Wifi Assist
Go to Settings > Cellular / Mobile Data > scroll to bottom > Wi-Fi Assist > turn OFF

Disable data on certain apps
Go to Settings > Cellular > Scroll through and disable applications you don't want to used your Cellular Data

if you still find you're going over 10.5gb than I suggest moving to Telus,bell or rogers

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Parkbench13 

as @cellphoneuser1 mentioned, the largest data packet/plan is the $50 for 10.5 GB (with Autopay enabled).

If you have to top up with additional data addons every cycle, I agree with you, not ideal.

Do you have a phone with a dual SIM slot? Perhaps you can shop around for a data only plan to boost your needs.

Or if you are looking for a large data plan all together, Public Mobile may not be the one to suit your needs. The Tier 1 companies would have those large data plans available, and if you are already paying those amounts anyway, you may want to make the switch.....READ the fine print first, and check coverages.

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@Parkbench13 There's no plan here with more than 10.5GB for $50.  Are you on an old $50 plan with 8.5GB?

Need Help? Let's chat.