cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a 647 number be long distance from Toronto?

fridaybashful
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm in Toronto using a Province-wide talk option and no long distance addons on my plan. I just tried calling a 647 number and was told that the call is long distance and that the call could not be completed without a long distance plan. Is it possible for a 647 number to be considered long distance from Toronto?

7 REPLIES 7

Karisma1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@fridaybashful I was having this same issue while trying to call a 647 number with the province-wide talk plan. I tried adding the 1 at the beginning of the number and continued to recieve the same message. I took out my sim and restarted my phone and tried again and it ended up working. Not sure if I just got lucky or if it was a glitch.

This sounds similar to the call isssues last month in Ontario.  Some users on province wide plans could not call out, however if they had an LD addon or Canada wide they could.

it affected me as I tested a known number, but charged against my add9n, even though it was local.

X-Files
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

....How about 416 ? still  same message ?

@fridaybashful wrote:

I'm in Toronto using a Province-wide talk option and no long distance addons on my plan. I just tried calling a 647 number and was told that the call is long distance and that the call could not be completed without a long distance plan. Is it possible for a 647 number to be considered long distance from Toronto?

No, it is 100% impossible for calling a 647 number from Toronto to be considered long distance because they are actually in the same rate centre (all 647 area code phone numbers are coded as Toronto).

Public Mobile likley does not have that prefix of 647 (the first 3 numbers after the area code) correclty coded as being in Toronto, Ontario.  This is a problem that only Public Mobile can fix for you from the network/billing/system end.  You'll have to contact a moderator about this.

passiveegg
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

That is really weird, have you tried also turning your phone off and taking the sim out as well. That may help, but please let us know what happens. 

fridaybashful
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I've tried with a leading 1, +1 and just the regular number and I still get the message. It turns out that this number is a recently activated Freedom Mobile number

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@fridaybashful, there have been reported quirks with local numbers being referred to as long distance.  Try inserting +1 in front of the 10 digit number.  

Need Help? Let's chat.