cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$50 plan

Josephbuckshon1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Question about the $50 plan, when the 8gb of data u get runs out, does data discontinue completely, or do you still data at a slower speed?

15 REPLIES 15

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@gblackma 

You won't find pricing just yet on their website. Their pricing model for Dotmobile was once shared in blog post with people who signed up for a free account to tell the carrier what features they should have. They called them free founding members. Those members got to sign up for Alpha testing of their app and get an idea how service would look. Potential customers voted on the pricing models that should be used and they chose what people wanted

tehowennathe

@Naepalm been Alpha testing their app for a while now and looks promising. Dotmobile is independent and they said early on they are working on multiple carrier agreements

@tehowennathe I was looking at the dotmobile site. Could you please send me a link to the pricing link? Thanks. Can't seem to find it. Stay safe. 

@tehowennathe I am a member of dotmobile so I know lots about them. One big speedbump for them is they are not affiliated with the Big three.

And actually, when you look at all the carriers in Canada - Almost ALL are affiliated with the BIG THREE - its a TRIOPOLY. They own the market they dictate the price of lower-grade plans (Chatr, lucky, Public), mid-grade plans (koodo, virgin) and upper plans (Telus, Rogers, Bell). It is absolutely disgusting that the government doesn't step in. We pay the highest Mobile bills in the WORLD. And it's because of this, even though those companies are making money hand over fist. 

I agree a big reason I didn't go to Chatr or Lucky was because of the rewards, and my sister had been with Public for quite a while so I knew someone personally that had no issues. 

Cheers!

tehowennathe

@Naepalm 

Rewards are one of the few reasons I stay with Public Mobile. Though I have been looking at new carrier that is supposed to launch later this year. They will operate like PM fully digital. Their base plan to come with US roaming and unlimited talk and text at $10 if I remember correctly. They will have 2 options for data. First but data by how much you think you need each month. If you need less you by less the next month. If you need more you buy more next month. Second option is let's say you add $30 to account they could subtract from $30 based on how much data you use. All data rolls over if unused. Carrier is Dotmobile and they are working on agreements to use national and regional carriers in Canada and US. If it's good I will switch. If not PM is where I stay.

@tehowennathe 

Here is a decent comparison of each, Chatr owner by Rogers, Lucky owned by Bell.

https://www.planhub.ca/blog/en/cell-phone-plans-lucky-vs-public-mobile-vs-chatr/

Now one thing that lucky or chatr don't have is an amazing rewards program. This is where Public separates themselves. There is also this notion that Public doesn't have customer service. Which is a huge misconception...Sure chatr and lucky have data that slows down to below 3G speeds after you use your data but you will also pay 50% more without having any rewards applied to your account. If you are paying 25.00 At chatr it will always be 25.00.  This is not the case for Public Mobile.

They also have hidden charges like 40 cents per minute for voicemail retrieval....hmmm

So sure you may not get that extra 1G of data that is as fast as your internet was back in 1993, but you also won't be paying for it in other ways....

Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 9.49.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 9.49.39 AM.png

tehowennathe

Public Mobile is one of the few prepaid carriers to not offer data at slower speeds once data is used. They make money on data add ons, so I don't see them adding unlimited like chatr or lucky any time soon.

@Josephbuckshon1 

To summarize everyone's answers in regards to the data included in the $50 plan.....

1. Data completely stops once you use it all. There is no reduced speed data or overages.
  2. The $50 plan w/ autopay is $48 ($2 reward/credit) and includes a 500mb bonus=8.5gb total.
  3. You can purchase 1gb data add ons for $30 currently 50% off for $15 these stay on your plan until completely used (they roll over every month no additional charges.)
  4. You can renew your plan early  by contacting the moderators.
  5. You will notice you will use less data on 3G/4G LTE (throttled) enabling your data saver and restricting background data will further reduce data usage without any discernible difference.
  6. The $50 plan also includes unlimited calling to the US from Canada.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@Josephbuckshon1  its actually 8.5G because you get a bonus 500mb for signing up for auto pay. Since this is prepaid once it runs out it runs out. Much different model then postpaid where they would either slow your service or charge you theough the nose. 

If you need more then 8.5G you can pick up an add on for $15.00. If you need more data then that youll need to go to a Big theee carrier to get better pricing on DATA at 10G+ per month. 

Have a good evening. 

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@Josephbuckshon1, if you think that you may run out of data in 30 days, may I suggest that you purchase a few of the $15 add-ons for 1 gig of data. Whatever you don't use, it will carry over to the next month, until you use it all up.

Screen Shot 2020-04-15 at 4.09.50 PM.png

I have a couple of these, and I have yet to touch them. I got it, just in case, I need them. 

*Note: Be advised they are normally $30, and it's on sale. How long? No idea. Better to buy them now before they change and up the price. 

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

All PM plans work this way, not just the $50 plan.

AE_Collector

@Josephbuckshon1 if you attach a autopay credit card you get $2 off and an extra 500 mb. Stay safe 

Screenshot_20200323-100237.jpg

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@Josephbuckshon1 @Hi it stops completely until next cycle or you buy an add on

@Josephbuckshon1 wrote:

Question about the $50 plan, when the 8gb of data u get runs out, does data discontinue completely, or do you still data at a slower speed?

The data stops working unless you purchase a data add-on or make a plan change (but that will cost you more).

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Josephbuckshon1 wrote:

Once you reach data limit...data will just stop until next renewal.

Need Help? Let's chat.